You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Former Skeptic's Journal 2

Real Ghost Stories

Former Skeptic's Journal 2

 

It's been a long while since I posted here, and I've been keeping a journal like Miracles and Granny suggested. If you want my background, feel free to read up on my other entries. Here is a continuation of my journal entries from where I left off the last time I submitted. I included mood and time as well.

Monday, December 27, 2011 Cold, Overcast. Mood: content. Time: roughly 9:00 pm est.

Strong smell in my kitchen doorway of spoiled food. I keep a clean kitchen and no old food so I was concerned that something was spoiling somewhere. I have a garbage bin about 15 feet past the doorway and I went straight for it thinking it was the garbage. It was not. I sniffed around a bit, not smelling anything amiss. I moved back toward the doorway and smelled the spoiled food smell. Right inside the doorway are many cabinets. I checked them all, maybe a dead mouse? Nope. After moving the air around a bit with opening and closing cabinets I could no longer smell the scent. I opened the refrigerator to check on the smell and everything seemed normal. Edit: 2 weeks later and no bad smell.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011. Snowy, cold and my mood is indifferent. Time: roughly 10:30 pm est.

A glowing light to my left out of the corner of my eye appeared, I quickly tuned my head to the left. I assume that it will be nothing because I've never seen anything definitive resulting from an "out of the corner of my eye incident" but today was different. I'm watching TV, lights are off and a see a glowing circle of light roughly 1 1/2 inches in diameter on my bedroom closet door. The door is hinged in the open position. The doors look like blinds you might find on a window, with slats. On one of the slats, about 4 feet from the ground this circle of light is spinning and pulsing. I was really unnerved but I was unable to move or look away. I used my eyes to peer though the slats and I could see light coming from behind the slat as well. The light lasted for what appeared to be 20 to 30 seconds then suddenly just disappeared. I sat there for a while, unable to move, pondering what I had just seen. I tried to rule out what it could and could not be. It was not light from the tv, as different scenes were going on during that 20 seconds and the spectrum of light as well as the intensity were changing on the tv thus making a reflection of steady pulsing light impossible. Next I ruled out light from a window. The windows behind are covered with a shade, a plastic winter wrap and then thick curtains. As of Friday, January 14th I've left the closet in the same position hoping to repeat what has happened and it has not. What was that light?

Saturday, January 22, 2011. Time: Unsure: After Midnight. Mood: Asleep then Scared: Weather: C O L D

Two loud knocks on my bedroom door. Door was closed. Woke me up from dead sleep to wide awake. I was alone. My house is empty except for me. I asked loudly, "What? Who's there?" Nothing, I asked again and again and I received no reply. I sat there, scared out of my mind for about 15 minutes until I finally fell back to sleep. I normally sleep with my door closed/locked. An old habit from when I was a child. I was not going to open the door after those knocks. The next morning I noticed nothing amiss. This event scared me like no other.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 Time: After 8 pm Mood: Worried and Sad Weather: Cold

I was returning home after visiting my mother in the hospital. I had been there all day. I was worried but calm. I was not focusing on much. I had let my mind drift. I entered my empty home and reached to the right to turn on a standard lever light switch. It turned on. I walked up my steps to the 2nd floor. I placed the mail on the counter and got an apple. I walked down the steps and with my left hand turned the light switch off, moving it into the down position. The light turned off. I took two and a half steps toward my bedroom and the light turned back on. The switch was in the upright position again. It froze me in my tracks. I retreated backward two steps and examined the switch. Nothing amiss. I paused and listened and used my eyes to look around. I heard and noticed nothing amiss. Looks like another entry in the journal. (edit) Mom is doing great as of March 2012.

Monday, March 7, 2011. Time: Morning Approx 4 am. Mood: Sleeping Weather COLD

Woke up from sleep in a semi-conscious state. I was aware I was awake yet I could still see images in my head from a dream. I was unable to move. I was in what some might call a lucid state but I was aware I was awake and dreaming too. I was in this state for what felt like 20-40 seconds and I slowly began to awaken fully. About 10 seconds into the initial panic of not being able to move I remembered reading about sleep paralysis and my brain liked that idea and allowed me to wake fully and finally move. This is my first experience with sleep paralysis. While not paranormal in nature, I figured since this was my first experience with this I'd include it here.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 Time: 8:22 am Mood:Stressed Weather: Cold

The door to my bedroom locked on its own. I was having a carpenter over to put on a new back door in my garage so I was going to keep my bedroom door closed. It was a bit messy and I didn't have time to clean it before the carpenter arrived. Since he didn't need to be anywhere near my room I figured I'd just close the door and worry about it later. I exited my bedroom door and was about to close it shut and I noticed the door handle didn't have the ability to turn. I thought to myself, "Why can't this turn?" and I tried to turn the handle with more force and it was locked. I pushed the door back open, looked behind the door and it was in the locked position. This is a simple bedroom door a twist lock only on the handle. Another incident involving the downstairs near the garage and my room. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for future incidents in this area.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 - Time After 9:00 pm EST.

My closed bedroom door... Closed again. Let me explain in more detail. The door was closed. When you close a door it makes a 'click' sound. It's the normal sound a door in a house will make when it closes. I entered my room, closed my door, sat down turned on my computer and about 2 minutes later I hear a "CLICK" and the door closes again. I have ties hanging on the back of the door and they were not moving. This suggests the door did not move but it sure did make a click sound like it closed again. I got up, opened the door, nothing behind and nothing on the outside hallway. Closed the door and this time locked it.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 - Time 1:30 pm 40 degrees. Sunny

Went upstairs to warm up some pizza and as soon as I got to the top of the steps, I heard voices from downstairs. I pause at the top of the steps. I can clearly hear a man's voice, but I can't make out anything being said. This goes on for about 15 seconds then nothing. For a brief moment I thought it might be my answering machine but from the time I walked up to the top of the steps to the time I heard the voice (s), the phone didn't ring. When I got downstairs I checked my answering machine anyway. There was no message of course.

Sunday, March 11, 2012 Weather - Cold but not bitter, no wind. Time 1:30 pm

Two of my car garage doors were open. I was hauling an old oven down from my deck to store in my garage until I was ready to dispose of it. There is a wooden door my father installed that connects one side of the garage to the other. My nephew and I got the oven down, placed on a hand truck cart and moved it into the garage. I was backing into the garage and propped the oven off the hand truck. I had one hand on the hand truck, one on the oven, and I turned around ready to kick the door open with my foot so I could drag the hand truck cart to the other side when the door just gently opened for me as if to say, "Don't bother, I got this." I smiled and said aloud, "Thanks!" Could it have been the wind? Maybe, but there was no wind at all today. Was it paranormal? Who knows? But it was weird and the garage / downstairs seems to be the place to be as of late.

Monday, March 12, 2012 Weather Cool/Cold Time 8:00 am.

I stayed home from work today feeling sick. I went upstairs, warmed some coffee and toasted two waffles with peanut butter for breakfast. I heard voices from downstairs again. I can't make out any words but there were more than one. It was as if there was a conversation. I froze and listened for what seemed like 10 to 20 seconds then it stopped. I could not make out a single word. All I know is it was voices. It almost sounded like I had left a tv on downstairs but of course, there was no tv on. This is the second time I've heard voices when I've gone upstairs. If I hear it again I'm setting a recorder up to see if I'm crazy or not.

That's up to date. No activity for a long time then suddenly a lot. It seems to have picked up lately, perhaps due to the home improvements. I'll keep writing down what I experience and eventually if things continue I'll add another journal entry in the near future. Love this supportive community here. Thanks for listening.

Scoops

Other hauntings by Scoops

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Scoops, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

britacular (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
Just came across your posts. Curious to see if anything else has been happening.
Sunju (14 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-08)
"I often wonder why there isn't some more funding and research into the paranormal field..."

There's been an enormous amount of time, money and man power devoted to researching every field of the paranormal. Both America and Russia had extremely sophisticated research done on everything from ghosts to telekinesis / telepathy to seeing the future. They're forays into the supernatural were varied and apparently inconclusive, though some very detailed stories have come out of it all. This Russian psychokinetic purportedly stopped the hearts of frogs, though there's every chance they were using a falsified or exaggerated story for propaganda purposes.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nina_Kulagina

Nothing concrete has been released and decades of top notch research has been done. The optimist in me thinks they were keeping the good stuff under wraps for future military purposes;)
Cohendy (1 stories) (20 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-27)
Rookdygin / Miracles / Scoops: Thank you so much for your insights. It is interesting to see that none of you started the journal for the same reason.

Also they seems to have evolved with time. I never though of a journal as a way to analyse patterns, but more as a way to keep memories alive. But using it in this more... Methematical way seems to be extremely interesting.

In any case, scoops, I'm looking forward not only to reading you next entries but to seeing how you'll interprete them.
Thank you for sharing.
Scoops (4 stories) (17 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
To explain why I write the journal and how I write it...

1) I write it because it's a great idea and Miracles and Granny said it was a good idea... And it is.

2) I write as if I'm explaining it to somebody who has never heard of what is happening. That way I can remember he event in more detail years down the road and if anybody else reads it, they know what the heck I'm talking about.

3) I only post things that I feel are relevant or could be paranormal in nature. I don't often have things happen, but it's enough to know 'something' is here. I've included sleep paralysis just because it a complete shock to experience it. 40+ years I've never had that happen. Thank goodness I read about it here or I'd have been pretty freaked out.

4) I love the journal because I can see a pattern. March is 'the month' and another thing happened yesterday too which made me write in my journal. Based on my 2 years of keeping it for me it's March and December that get the most activity.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
Cohendy - I started my Journal because I thought I was losing my mind. No joking, no kidding. I literally thought I was going crazy. I was hearing things and seeing things that I thought other people weren't.

One day I realized that this stuff had been happening more and more frequently and then I remembered that oftentimes there actually were others around who witnessed what I did, so I couldn't be crazy after all. So I started my Journal beginning with that day and worked my way backward to the very first experience I could remember, when I was 13.

Now, like Rook and Scoops (although not as well as Scoops 😉) I record the date, time of event, weather conditions, moon-phase only if it's full moon or something unique like a Blue Moon, the mood of our household because sometimes that does play into it. I also record my kids' experiences in my Journal.

In my case, if I find later that the "unexplained" noise that I thought might be one of my ghosts was actually my cat, I won't delete my entry. Instead, I'll just update it with something like: 3/26/12 Update: Tonight I figured out that the Demon was causing the sound I thought was our ghost.

This way I have a record for future reference, even if it's a year later.

BTW, Demon Cat From Hell is our "affectionate" name for our cat Rex 😉
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
In addition to a recorder, another idea for an experiment: Have someone or two, hold a conversation at various levels of loudness and in several different places over time downstairs, so as to try and emulate the conditions of what you heard.

Thus if you decide to go with discerning further- you can/could find out what spots would be the best to 'listen in' if such occurs in the future, and where the conversations are coming from- if you were inclined to point a camcorder at the spot.
Michore (30 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
Nice enrty, who need technology? Anwy, the same thing happened to a friend of mine, I stayed in the house where it happened but had other incounters, these voises came from the hallway where two people were talking, they lasted a long time and as you walk down the hallway they get loader and loader until they conversing right into your ears.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
Cohendy,

Mine started as a daily log when I was Enlisted in the Navy. It was a great way to pass the time during a 6 month deployment. So from my personal standpoint the entries are a summary of the events of the day which includes and dreams/nightmares or 'odd' events. I have sense begun to include things such as the weather as that may have some influence on any possible 'paranormal' events that might take place. Not to mention my mood... Or the mood of my wife and kids and this establishes the 'complete environment' that any possible 'events' may be taking place in.

The more detail the better as one can go back and review ones Journal and look for trends when things are occurring. This has proved a good method for finding any commonalities between each experience.

Respectfully,

Rook
Cohendy (1 stories) (20 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
I have a question about methodoly here.
In what frame of mind do you write your journal?

By this I mean: ever since you've decided to report everything odd happening to you, do you stay on the look-out for these events? Or do you just, let's say every night before bed, go through you day and try to point out everything that felt out of place, debunk it if you can and write it down if you couldn't?

(And since you are not the only one keeping a journal, I'd be happy to hear how the others do.)
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-25)
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! This sounds like you have someone that likes to play games with you just my opinion. It does not seem as if they are trying to harm just poking fun in scaring you or helping you really. Either way GREAT record keeping and again thank you for sharing!

Stay safe ❤
adsouza (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-24)
Scoops - Well recorded account! It's good knowledge to read your accounts. I have picked up some stuff.

Thanks for sharing.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-24)
Scoops - I've also noticed the "gap" in activity from my ghosts. Sometimes it's months between entries. Some of us have somewhat jokingly wondered if our ghosties go on vacation (and somewhat not jokingly too 😉). It's just really odd that they are so active for so long and then...okay, where they heck did they go and why are they gone for so long? My little boy even notices when they're quiet.

I hate to hear that you are in a school with no paranormal activity. (Lately when I use those two words together, it makes me feel like...ugh, I don't even know how to describe it 😕 but it's not a compliment.) Hopefully there's something there, but they're just waiting to see if you're worthy 😉.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-24)
Scoops: Never fear, my friend; there are a lot of really intelligent, highly educated people in the field of paranormal research... Not enough though, you're right there 😆...

Do yourself a favor and just Google the name David Rountree...I'd like to say he's a "close personal friend", but we're associated through a group on facebook... He has some pretty interesting stuff on his website... 😊
Scoops (4 stories) (17 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-24)
It's funny here because there are often times where there is not much going on at all, then suddenly in a few days there are multiple 'happenings' as I call them. I really think time is a concept that does not apply in the spirit world.

As of March 24th nothing new is happening, at least nothing I'm aware of.

Miracles and Granny... The journal was such an awesome idea. I try to be as detailed as possible now. Looking back on the full year I've been doing it, it seems like March is the most active month. Could be just a coincidence but could be important.

It's a real shame. I wound up leaving my school this year to work at a different one on the district and there is nothing interesting at all about the new school with regards to the paranormal.

I often wonder why there isn't some more funding and research into the paranormal field. Electromagnetic energy, voices, movement of objects has been reported by millions of people. Why are there not more intense studies? It would shed some serious light on some of what may lie in the afterlife. Doesn't it seem important to anyone else?

Scoops
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-23)
Scoops

Wow that's quite a serious of strange happenings you got going on! I found it really ironic that a carpenter was putting a new door on your garage and your bedroom door locked! I have had experiences with hearing voices too but like you I can never quite make out waht they say, it's quite frustrating! Setting up a recording device sounds like a great idea, hopefully you can catch these voices on audio and pick up what they are saying. Keep us posted!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-23)
Scoops - I was so pleased to see another story from you! I have to admit, you do a better job at keeping track of the weather and your mood than I do;) And I want to say here that I'm glad your mom is doing okay.

So many of your occurrences seem like they could come from my Journal LOL. The food smell drives me insane, doesn't it you? I'm sure someone is going to throw the demon word at you, but please... That thought never crosses my mind. The knocking and door getting locked is something I'm very familiar with LOL. I got locked IN. Twice. Yes, I'm almost ashamed to admit it. One of our little girl ghosts locked me inside twice. Dumb blonde LOL.

The one thing I like about keeping my Journal is I can include things I think are important, like you did with the sleep paralysis which, by the way, is amazing that you were able to remember reading about it and kept your wits about you. I'm impressed.

I agree with you about setting up a recorder. I do that and have caught our ghost man and little girl. There are differing opinions about it, of course, but I've had success with it.

Thanks for submitting this part of your journal. I'm looking forward to more.

By the way, the episode in the garage: wonderful! I have tried to instill in my kids that, even though we may not be able to see them, always say "thank you" when they do something for us.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-23)
Scoops: Awesome! 😁...I was thinking as I read that a recorder would come in handy... Maybe a voice activated one?...That way you could hear what could be going on while you're not there; not to mention possibly missing something in the excitement during the experience while you search for the recorder 😆...

You did a great job with your "Miracles Journal", as we've come to call it... Keep up the work, and welcome back! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: