You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: New Believer

Real Ghost Stories

New Believer

 

My name is Gauri and I am a 31-year-old single mother to a baby boy, who will be 2 years in May this year. I live in New Delhi, India.

I never believed in ghosts and paranormal until about 7 months ago when it actually happened with me. I am very new to this, so I apologize if my experience is not very well written but I will try to write it as best as I can.

I was staying in this rented apartment about 2 kilometers from my parents' house for the last 2 years. As I am a single mom, my parents help out a lot and as my parents' house is close by my father often comes and stays over with us (me and my son). One day my landlord told me that he is going to sell this house (that we were staying in) and that we should find another place to stay. (He gave me 2 months to look for a place and shift out.)

My dad and I both started searching for houses and finally one day (this was in Aug. 2011) my dad came and told me that he had found a good house and, as the landlady was not staying in Delhi, she was in a hurry to rent out the place, so he has given an advance for the house and that I should see the house soon. I initially was furious as I wanted to have a good look at the house before finalizing it (and dad had done that alone). But later I agreed to see the house. So on a Saturday my dad, me and my son went to see the house.

This house was on the first floor. We entered the house and met the landlady, and the strangest thing happened, which I don't know where it came from. I entered the house, walked towards one of the rooms to see it, and suddenly what came out of my mouth instantly was (after being there for hardly 3 minutes or so and when I had not seen the house properly) "I will not stay here, I don't like this place."

My dad told me to keep quiet and said that we would talk later. So, I just walked around the house a bit, spoke to the landlady and left. On our way back, dad told me that he had already paid advance for the house and had finalized it. He thought it was a nice 4 bedroom house. And for me, though I found the house nice, something from within didn't quiet feel right. Anyways, after a lot of arguments and the given circumstances, I agreed to move into that house.

The new house was just a block or two away from where I was staying then and it didn't take much time for me to shift there. I had packed, shifted and set everything up in one week after finalizing the house. This was end of August, about 26th of Aug, 2011.

This is when all this started. Here is what happened right from the very first day.

This house was so cold and uncomfortable. One step inside the house and one step outside the front door. One could make out that this house was chilly. At all times. I had no reason to suspect initially. Or never thought...Why?

From the first day we shifted, I started getting the feeling of being watched... All the time. I would be roaming around the house doing chores on the weekend and would feel as if someone was following close by. It felt very weird and I shrugged it off thinking it's just my imagination.

Anyways, I am working and leave for work by 9am. My dad takes care of my baby while I'm gone and I take charge when I return and dad goes to his house and later comes back for dinner.

One evening, I came back home from work, as usual, and had tea with dad and then he left. I and my son were alone and around 7pm he wanted to sleep. So, tired from a long day, I also decided to take some rest. I took my baby to bed and was lying next to him. The bedroom door is facing the front of my bed and I generally keep it slightly open so that it's not completely dark in the room. My son, Shaurya, had just slept and I was wondering in my head if I should get up and do things around the house or sleep for a while. When the bedroom door slammed shut in front of my eyes! I was shocked but didn't panic as I couldn't register what had just happened. I took a few minutes and got up and came out of my bedroom and went to the balcony in the next room for a smoke. As my son was sleeping in my room, I made sure that I keep the next bedroom door completely open (touched the wall) so that I can hear him if he wakes up. I was smoking in the balcony and was looking out on the street. After a minute, I turned around and saw that the door was completely shut behind me. I was standing there thinking if I had shut the door by mistake, but no, I remember clearly that I had opened the door and it touched the wall a minute ago. As soon as that happened, I heard my son crying. This was only after a few seconds after I turned and saw the door shut. Anyway, though I was shocked and uneasy, I gathered myself and quickly went in and saw Shaurya was sitting on the bed and crying uncontrollably.

After that day and until we decided to move out so many things happened, which scared the hell out of me. My mother doesn't keep very well, so it was one of those days when she wasn't feeling very well and my dad decided to stay the night at his house, so I and my son were alone. We went to bed around 10:30 pm. I played with him a little and slept off. Something woke me up. What it was I don't know and what happened, I'm not very clear either. But I remember that my eyes opened and I looked at the clock, which is hanging on the wall right in front of my bed (to the left of the door) and it was 2am. I could see pitch black from the slightly opened door. A feeling of uneasiness took over but I couldn't move and could clearly feel that I was covered head to toe in sweat (the kind when you exercise). I just could tilt my head enough to the left window to see it was dark outside. And that's it. After that I passed out and woke up in the morning about 7am. I have no idea what happened.

Other things like keys, phones objects of daily use were moved from their position where we generally kept them. I had no logical explanation to the things that were happening but didn't know what to say or do. I didn't share this with my father for the simple fact that he would laugh on me as he did not believe in such things.

What got me thinking about this was when my son started pointing to something very often that I couldn't see and this my father also told me later on (when we decided to move out). If I would be standing in the balcony, he would all of a sudden stop playing, run to me and refuse to go inside the house. If I would try to take him inside, he would scream and cry and point to something on the ceiling. I had no idea what to do but used to calm him down and take him out for a walk to the park.

I started to hear footsteps in the night outside my bedroom very often. Apart from a few nights, I used to hear footsteps every night outside my door. Heavy footsteps like a man walking in slippers.

The aura of the house generally was pretty negative and at times the air around the house used to become thick and suffocating that I couldn't stand to be in that house and used to pick my keys and head out with my son. It felt as if some thing or someone didn't want us to be in that house at ALL.

One night I was woken up by this horrible sound (like someone was drilling in my ear) and that sound, I still cannot forget. It was December 2011 (winter time) and I was peacefully sleeping in my blanket. I woke up irritated but in a half sleepy state and looked back. What I saw froze me... I saw a black figure just sitting near me on the foot of the bed and just staring. I just froze and didn't move. After a few minutes I fell back asleep or passed out. I have no idea.

These things really started to disturb me. It was nearly to 4 months that we had spent in this house (from Aug 2011 to Dec 2011) and I used to be tired during the day due to lack of sleep from waking up to footsteps and noises every night. My son used to behave weirdly and was cranky most of the times. This really made me worried. I did not know what was happening, but was very worried for the safety of my son. One day when I put my foot down and told my dad that there was something wrong with this house and asked him had anyone (neighbors) told him anything about this house, that he broke his silence.

He told me that it had been a month since we had moved into this new house that one of neighbors told him that the landlady's husband was a lawyer and had lost a case in which a lot of money was involved and he hung himself from the ceiling fan in the lounge area in the night when his wife (our landlady) and son were sleeping. It was after this incident that his wife decided to move to her hometown to her parents' place with her son and put up the house on rent. He told him that this had happened just 3 months before we moved in! My dad did not believe in paranormal or ghosts and did not want to scare me so he did not tell me about this incident all this while.

That was it. Now I could put two and two together and figured out why everything was happening. I always felt from the very first day that we should not be staying here. Whatever it was did not mean to harm us, but clearly told us that we were not welcome there and should leave. Every time, in the past, when I tried to apply logic to the happenings, the entity did something or the other to make it's presence clear and make me aware that this was his house and that we should leave.

That was good enough reason, though pretty tough to be moving again in such a short span of time. It seemed like a huge task for me to be looking for a house again and shifting and all with a small baby. Anyways, my son's security being on the top priority, I decided to move.

Whoever it was made our life hell until the last day in that house. I tried telling him that we were moving out now and that he should stop troubling us. But no, things kept moving, footsteps... Everything continued until the last day.

I finally moved out of the house on Jan 15, 2012. Everything is back to normal since and we have moved into a nice small house in the same area but a different block.

It was during this time I started to search about paranormal and got to this site and have read countless experiences from people; when I finally sat down to write my own today.

I apologize again for writing so long. Thanks for reading.

Gauri

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, gaurinijhawan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-10)
Dip1904 and gaurinijhawan - we strongly discourage our members giving addresses. If addresses or links to the address on Google Map or whatever are given, they are deleted. We try to protect the privacy of whomever lives there, or owns the property.
ram (25 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-22)
hello gauri
Its always strange to hear such experiences
Hence advising you to check the background or the history of the house or the land...
Please do share more of your experiences... If any?
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-19)
Ms Gauri,
An exceptionally lucid description alongwith the horrendous reality that you have presented here has had such tremendous effect on me that I am constantly peering over my shoulders in fear of coming face to face with something uncanny.😨
Hope you find your new residence peaceful.😊
All the best to you and li'l Shaurya.❤

Thanks
Regards
gaurinijhawan (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
[at] vibhanim21 - Thanks for writing in. I am happy to know that you and your family are safe.

Take care, God Bless

Gauri
vibhanim21 (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-06)
hi gauri,
I live in pondicherry and when we had shifted to pondicherry, we had to search a house for rent soon and shifted. The same thing happened like some entity did not like us staying there and haunted all the time. So we had to shift again within 4 months. The entity was a woman who was murdered in that house long ago. Now everything is clear.
I totally believe in your experience as I have also faced it.
gaurinijhawan (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-05)
Hi discerninguser, LouSlips & ana_thomas: Thanks for writing in.

I will try and answer one by one:
[at] ana_thomas - I will keep you posted for any news that I have regarding that house.

[at] LouSlips - Thanks for your findings. Actualy, My father was told the story by a neighbor so, I'm sure many facts/dates might be told in a rush and not correctly. This person who narrated the story to my dad had told him that he saw the lawyers body hanging from the ceiling and so did other people early morning when he was out to walk his dog and later found by his family (wife and son). He didn't mention the lawyers father that time nor did he specify clear facts, which the news article did (I did mention in one of my comments that I had not thought about finding out about the news until one of the many nice people commenting on my story suggested this). I really appreciate that you took the time to read my experience and cared to find details. Thanks a lot for writing again.

[at] discerninguser - Thanks for your concern. I do understand your sentiments, but my father came to know this after we had shifted he did not believe in such things at that time. Even I was a non believer for more than 31 years until this happened. He did believe eventually and did help us a lot in immediately shifting out.

Thanks all for writing and I really appreaite all your comments and concern for my family.

Gauri
discerninguser (6 stories) (82 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-03)
I really feel that you were very brave in staying in that house for 4 long months even after seeing and experiencing such paranormal occurences... It was really fortunate that your baby was not harmed... However am aghast at how your father could subject you to such a traumatic and dangerous experience... If he had the slightest regard for your safety and that of your baby, he would not have cared for his advance money... After all he knew about the suicide incident and you also experienced negative vibes when you visited the house for the first time... You also told him about the same... Any sane person would put two & two together and not insist that you stay in such a house...
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-02)
gauri,
I do not doubt that your story is true, nor do I doubt the source of the haunting; but fror future telling, the story told to your father by the neighbor has some issues with regards to the dates. From the news article you have provided, the suicide occurred about six months before you moved into the house, not three. Also, the article states he was found by his father... So I doubt your landlady and her son were sleeping in the same house when this happened, or it seems more likely that they would have found him.
Also, FYI... You did very well giving this account, do not apologize for anything.

Lou
ana_thomas (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-31)
hi gauri...
I have read your story and really wondered about things like that... I am also currently situated in new delhi and would like to know more about it... If any... I have undergone such experience myself too from time to time... Stay in touch if possible 😁
gaurinijhawan (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-31)
Hi Shellzy & WhisperingWind: Thanks for writing in...

Gauri
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-31)
Hi Gauri

I really enjoyed reading your story. It is amazing how often we can pick up on a vibe that something isn't quite right within minutes of being in a different environment as you did when you very first entered this house. I'm glad you and your son have moved into a more comfortable home, I can imagine it must have been a very trying time for you both. Thanks for sharing, I would look forward to reading any other stories you may have. 😊
WhisperingWind (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-30)
Gauri, I'm sorry you and your son had several negative experiences and am glad to hear you are comfortable residing where you are now. Home is supposed to feel like a safe refuge away from the insanity and chaos of life outside. I have always been open to the paranormal, because I find it very fascinating. I never once in my life have experienced anything paranormal until some recent years back and it has been life-changing. Thank you for sharing your story! ~Christen
gaurinijhawan (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-30)
[at] Spectae - yes, I think you're right. All this was specific to that house. Things have gone back to normal now.
To Update - that house is still vacant and whenever I pass form there, it still gives me the shivers and the most eerie feeling. You know, the area that, that house is in... I feel the whole place has a negativity to it, I mean the area sorrounding the house or maybe its just how I feel about it with my experience being there. (I have to pass that house whenever I go to the market)

Anyhow, Thanks for writing in & the encouraging words.

Gauri
spectae (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-30)
Hi Gauri,

Thanks for continuing to respond to your story. It makes it all the better that you are able to further share.

In reference to your concerns about this experience possibly creating unwanted sensitivity to the other world. In my humble view, I cannot see this being an issue.

Your experience was a localized event pertaining to specific circumstances. Through the process of insight, investigation and intelligence, you came up with answers that are plausible and logical.

I don't think such leads to increased sensitivity, but naturally you are now wiser and better informed. That would be a change that occurred, but increased sensitivity seems rather unlikely.

Basically I doubt you have anything to be concerned about. I do think you are helping others though, as you are here by enlightening us, so there is that aspect.

It is all good, good karma your way, that is my reading of things.

:)

Spectae
gaurinijhawan (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-29)
hi thereisnospoon - thanks for your post. Before this, it never really occoured to me that I should search online about his suicide. After I read your post today morning, I did and found the news. Here's the link: All the people who have posted on my experience can have a look too.

Http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/NewDelhi/HC-lawyer-commits-suicide/Article1-659072.aspx

Gauri
Thereisnospoon (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
spooky...

Not that I don't believe you, but could you post a link (news) regarding the suicide (must've become news) if you can find one? It'll remove the 5% doubt in my mind.
gaurinijhawan (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
[at] stephyw2001, spectae, aamod_v and all: Thanks for all your comments:
Well, yes, suicide is neither an escape from worldly problems nor an answer for any tough situation one might come across. I wondered a lot too about why he did that. When I got to know the reality from my dad, I instantly remembered the meeting I briefly had with the landlady. She seemed so sad and unwell. Though her son is just in the 9th grade, she looked older than she was, the incident had badly taken a toll on her health. I hated her husband for leaving her alone with all the responsibilities and to lead a tough life.
Anyhow, I did tell my landlady as briefly as I could (keeping in mind not to sound rude or offend her in any way) what I experienced in the house and my decision to leave. Politely told her to get the house cleansed as someone in there was at unrest. Dont know if she believed me but... I thought it was my duty to let her know.
This once encounter with the paranormal has left a deep impact on my life. It made me believe in the paranormal whereas I never did in the past (thats more than half of my life! 😊. I just hope and pray that me and my son can be at peace now and I hope such an experience hasent made me sensitive to the other world.

Gauri
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
Wow, that is upsetting all around. I feel badly for him having hung himself. I mean, did he think that hanging himself would make anything easier for his family he left behind? It seems to me it would only make things hard and miserable for them. I wonder what your child saw at the ceiling? Its amazing how small children can still see things, but as we get older we shut it out somehow. I wonder how, why and when this happens. Thank you for sharing your story, and welcome.
spectae (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
Hi Gauri,

So good that you and your son are now safe.

What a harrowing experience!

Hopefully your dad is wiser now and that he will communicate with you better.

It does all make sense as you explain... And a moral of the story is that suicide is not an escape from Earthly problems.

I hope you never encounter such a negative experience again.

Thanks for sharing and best wishes.

PeAcE

Spectae
aamod_v (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
its indeed brave of you that you faced such scary experience. And most important you tried to make sense of all the things, finding the connection. Didn't just run away from situation. Very wise decision to shift to another house.
gaurinijhawan (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
[at] adsouza - Thanks, yes I do think it was the right decision as that's what "IT" wanted. He must be wanting his wife and son staying in the house rather than a stranger and her son. Maybe he was yarning for his family. Thats why strange things happened but nothing to harm us.
Thinking back, I can only make out of whatever it was, did not want us to be in that house. He simply wanted us to leave. Did not harm us... Just kept troubling us in all ways possible.

I thought best later to respect this restless soul's desire and for the well being of my family. My son is my top most priority and so is his safety. So I took the communication of the entity very seriously and moved out.
It was not walking out of the situation because I did stay there for many months dealing with all that was happening. But, eventally did decide this as I gathered from it all that we were intruding and that was the reason we were also at unrest.

Thanks for your comments
adsouza (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
It's good that you and Shaurya have moved out of that place. Much as I like to think otherwise, sometimes the best thing to do is walk away. Good thinking and good decision.
😊
gaurinijhawan (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
Hi ind_83 - 😊 I agree with you. I did have a lot of sleepless nights and anxious days. Almost thougth that I would have a heart attack soon as such a thing had never happened to me before.

Apart from other things that happened, the TV used to switch off by itself very often while me and my son used to be watching something. I had the technician visit 5 times to be sure if what I was thinking was correct or not. But everytime, there used to be no problem at all with my TV.

Thanks for your comments
ind_83 (55 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
Wow Gauri, this was an absolutely creepy experience you had. If I were in your place, in that house, I might get a heart attack on the very first day itself. While reading your experience I was shivering, I really got scared very much. Anyways its really good to know that you and your baby came out of that creepy and dangerous house. I think you are right about that the entity didnot want you people stay in his house, that is why he made your living hell over there. Atleast now you and your baby is safe, that is really a good thing to know. Anyways, thanks for sharing your experience. This story is going in my favourite stories list for sure. 😊
gaurinijhawan (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
Hi Thanks fr your comments. Yes, My father eventually did tell me that he used to get goose bumps all over his body when he used to be alone in the house, but ignored it thinking he was just imagining it as he knew what happened in the house.
But, the main victim here was me and my son. And after reading all the experiences from all you good people, I did realise that whatever it is, does effect children the most...that's the reason I decided to move out of that house.
Also, being in that house, I do remember being totally stressed out and used to get frustrated often... Out of no reason apprently, and had suicidal thoughts too many times... Which I did not understand. As I'm a very positive person and take life as it comes. All this was difficult to cope with, but I'm glad that we left that house. And until today no new tenant has moved to that place. Its still vacant.

Gauri
Ibelieveheshere (2 stories) (68 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
Hi there, Glad You and Your son got of there sound like the man wonder what you and your son doing there and not want you and your son there maybe wonder where his wife and son just a thought but glad you and your son are safe and good that your father told you why the house being in a bad way and he explain to you and I been seen and hear things about people always kill themselves that just wrong. Welcome to ygs
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-03-27)
gauri - first, please don't feel like you need to apologize for the length of your story. Some of my stories have been pretty long too, but sometimes we just need to tell someone else who understands, someone who isn't going to laugh at us or tell us we're crazy (well, most of us aren't going to tell you that anyway).

I'm glad you were able to get you and your son out of there. I think you were right that the man wouldn't have hurt either of you, but sometimes just being in a situation, knowing you aren't welcome, is just as bad. It was already taking it's toll on both you and your baby and you'd only been there a few months.

Thank God your dad finally told you the truth, even if he didn't believe. Does he believe now?

Welcome to YGS and thank you for submitting your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: