You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: What Watches Us When We Sleep?

Real Ghost Stories

What Watches Us When We Sleep?

 

I would like to share with you an experience that happened two nights ago. Also, to share with you how my mind deals with unexplainable things, and in doing so, perhaps help some of you with your experiences. I'll keep this short.

2 nights ago: I was sleeping in bed, as usual. For some reason of which I can't remember, I was awakened. I do not remember what I was dreaming about, though I don't think it was unpleasant. (Actually, I've had some rather good dreams lately.) I turned my head to the side of my bed and I see a figure there. Now, there is very little space between the edge of our bed and a dresser, maybe up to 2 feet total floor space. I can see the dresser, and there is nothing in between the dresser and bed, except for this figure that I saw.

It stood about 3 feet tall, high enough to where its "face" was just above my face while I was lying down. It was dark and shadowy, but I could see that it did have a "face" that looked in no way human. It was still, just staring at me.

Now, I would like to share with you how my mind processes these things. I have been doing this since elementary school. I taught myself that: "If you see something in the dark, that looks like something out of the ordinary, stare it down. Once your eyes adjust, you might see what it really is". This usually works, as it allows your eyes time to process everything. Especially if you just woke up, this is most important.

So I stared it down. I know my eyes were adjusted to the room, because I would look at a corner of the room and it would be in focus, then I would look back and that figure was still there. If I had looked back and it was gone, problem solved, it was my imagination. This was not the case this time. So I resorted to step 2.

Step 2: "If you stare it down and it remains, go touch it or swat at it. This should shed more light and solve the problem". In the past, I would actually go get out of bed, and grab what I thought I saw only to find it were a crumpled up shirt, or a cat toy or something. Knowing what I saw was in mid-air, the swatting was appropriate. So I swatted at it. Much like you'd see in the movies, as my hand went through it, it took on a smoky swirled look and then was gone. I can't remember now if I got up and went to the bathroom after, which is common for me, or if I just rolled over and went back to sleep.

My cat was sleeping on my head as usual, and didn't seem to notice anything until I swatted, which woke her up.

My theory on this experience is that whatever it was came to check out my boyfriend and myself. Based on the sheer look of this thing, I'm guessing it would be attracted to negativity. Lately, there has been negativity in our household, as my boyfriend and I are arguing frequently over just about anything it seems. I don't like being in a bad mood. I think that it's creating too much bad karma in the air, and that it's causing too many problems... And attracting unwanted things.

I am a firm believer in the "you create your own destiny" and also "you create your own problems" theories. If you are going to live in a cloud of negativity, bad things will be attracted to you. If you choose to enjoy the finer things in life, and try your best to create a positive and happy environment and state of mind, good things will come your way.

The higher route is not always the easier route, and sometimes we all forget this. I think this surprise guest was a good reminder for me to try to focus more on being positive.

I will participate in any discussion you would like to have on this subject. It is not something I feel I really need help or advice on, and I'm not scared in any way. If this has made anyone reflect on his or her current situation, or experiences, especially in any good way, then I guess mission accomplished. Thank you for reading.

PS., I will try to do a sketch of what I saw, before I forget too much of it. I will post the link for the sketch to the comment section of this story if it gets published so that I don't take up any of Martin's time.

Other hauntings by stephyw2001

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, stephyw2001, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

B4Freya (4 stories) (26 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-19)
I'm very impressed by how calm you could be--and how rational! I've been poking around, looking for something similar to something I saw in Mexico once... But I haven't come across anything yet. What I saw was tall, not short. And I'm 50/50 about whether it was purely sleep paralysis & hallucination or... Well, I don't like to think of the "or." And when I saw it I kept trying to shout at it to "get out of my room". I remember clearly what I'd tried to say, although my jaw was locked. Then the... Whatever it was...well...maybe I ought to write down the full story and submit it for discussion.

Regardless, I applaud your rationality! And courage!
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
Thank you for your comment Jack. I often think that there's someone standing behind me looking over my shoulder, but of course I never see anyone there. I often wonder how many times we're watched throughout the day by people we can't see. I just always hope they leave me alone in the bedroom and bathroom, those pervy spirits! (Though, I'm not going to lie, I'd probably spy on people in their private time too LOL, we're all a little pervy I guess. So I deserve it...)
Take care! ❀
Jack86 (1 stories) (44 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-13)
The title really drew me to this story, I would really have to agree with you that something unwanted watches from time to time... Probably waiting until negativity has eaten away at your will, making you an easy target.

But anyway great outlook on life, If only more shared your views these entity's (or whatever they are) might not have such a playground to run amok in
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-09)
Wow, thanks everyone for your comments. Trix, I'm sorry you lost a pet too. 😒 It is so depressing. I don't want to think of losing my Trixy (Good name huh, Trix lol)

I'm flattered by those who think of me as brave. I like to think I am, but I think more than brave I'm curious and that gets the best of me. Probably why I like cats so much, we seem to have a lot in common.

Aya love Carrots, thank you for your comment! I don't know what a Sookie is though, sounds like something from Jersey Shore. 😊

And Trix, I know of all the animals tha lived in this house. My boyfriends grandparents are the original owners of this house we're in now. Grandpa died, and Grandma is now in a nursing home, so we're living in their house to keep it up and have cheap rent. They have had many pets, cats and dogs both. I hear the most stories about Goldie their Golden Retreiver, which would have been about the right height as the thing I saw. However, I still don't think it looked like a dog. I kind of had the feeling it was something that shouldn't have been there.

Anyway, thanks everyone! If I see anything else, I'll keep you posted! ❀
ilovemexicanfood (1 stories) (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-05)
hello steph I really enjoyed readingyour experience. I would of probably would of acted the same as you if I saw a dark shadow right on front of me. But then again who knows. You are very brave. I agree that sometimes our stae ofmind isn't 100%% there when we awake, so many times we do or see more that what's really there. Tell me hat exactly is sleep pralysize sorry I'm not a ver god speller. Thank you steph. Take care and keep int touch
bereal25 (1 stories) (22 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-04)
That thing gave me the creeps! If I saw that floating about my head I would've been out of there so fast!

Nonetheless, it does seem that the negativity manifested itself into a physical form. Hopefully it was released when you swatted it
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-04)
Hi stephyw2001, I read your experience on the psychic site. It is such a sad story. I'm so sorry about your cat. It's a feeling that not everyone will be able to understand when you lose a loving pet. Some people think that you can just replace a pet like that, well I'm one of those odd people who could never in my life just replaced my pets with another pet. Each pet is special in its own way, and they love us just the way we love them if it's not even more.
In a way I believe that we are all spiritual beings trapped in a human body in a material world, and when we die we are still spiritual beings but then released into the spiritual word. The wonderful thing about animals is that they are so loyal that even after death they will sometimes remain with you to comfort you and stay with you until you talk to them and tell them that it's okay to move on into the light and that you will see them again. I had a cat a view years back that I needed to cross over, and she did. If you read my story Neelsies final goodbye, then you will realize that he crossed over with death, but came back to say goodbye after two weeks, only after that I stopped crying and was healed. What happened was just amazing. Remember that your cat feels that you are hanging on by guilt and maybe she's hanging on too because she wants you to move on and be happy.
Sorry my comment is so long! I don't think the creature you saw in your bedroom was your cat. I think you would have known that from the start, and a three foot cat in height will definitely be one giant of a cat. I also think if it was evil that you would have felt that kind of energy.
Ask around about the history of the dogs that lived in that house if you can. You might be surprised if the creature that you saw was indeed one of the dogs that died there. Why I say this is because three foot tall can much be the size of a big dog, and it's in a dogs nature to protect guide and chase the unwelcome out. I must say when I saw this creature that you created I was not eerie about it at all. It reminded me of Seuntjie my beloved dog that died a year ago. Remember your cat will always stay in your heart. Putting your cat to sleep might have been very hard on you, but it might have been the end of suffering for your baby. Just think about how it must feel to live vomiting all the time, and the complications like sore muscles and sore throat caused by it, and no vet can get a solution or diagnose for it. I think you did the right thing, and your baby will understand. Your baby might even thank you for that. Remember in the animal word the weakest one is thrown out. That's why our pets will hide their suffering from us until it's almost too late. You will never know how sick your baby really was or felt so don't feel guilty move on and tell her you will always love her and keep her in your heart. Let go of the past, because it doesn't exist anymore for her or you. Animals move on they don't care about the past. It's only our humans that hold onto the past because of good and bad or sad memories. Live for the future because you will see here there in the future where you both will be reunited again someday.
Please keep us updated. Take care. Trix.

❀
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-04)
Great! Epic! Thumbs Up! I like you way of thinking! Sookie is that you? πŸ˜† Thanks for sharing your story it was awesome.
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-03)
Hey Trix! Hmmm a dog? Well, there used to be dogs in the house, so its possible I suppose. To me, it didn't look like a dog. My sketch isn't completely accurate, but its close enough. But maybe! I posted a story on the "psycho" site some time back about me seeing my dead cat. Ironically, the vision I saw of her, was also a black silhouette, very much similar to what I saw that night (except I had no doubt before I was looking at my dead cat). Also ironically, it was probably about 8 feet away from where I saw this thing. I guess that is the active corner of my house! I would have never put those two together had you not mentioned thinking it looked like a dog!

For reference, this is the story on the "psychic-experiences" page I was referring to:

Http://www.psychic-experiences.com/real-psychic-story.php?story=7158

Thanks Trix! Its giving me more to ponder. 😊
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-03)
Hi stephyw2001, this was a very interesting experience you had. I must say you and everybody else are going to think I'm crazy now, but for me it looks like a dog. The height and everything reminds me about my baby who died a year ago. His picture is on my profile if you want to go and look. When he sat he was also about two feet tall, and in the dark he was also like a dark figure. I start to wonder if you didn't see a black ghost dog. The fact that you weren't afraid, and it didn't do you any harm. It just sat there like a watch dog. Maybe I'm wrong. It's just a thought. Trix. ❀
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-03)
Hahaha Granny, I laughed so hard when you said "the happy slap". I have not seen it again, and I don't really want to. Not because it was "creepy" looking, which it honestly didn't really creep me out much, I just knew it wasn't supposed to be there. I can't explain that, its just how it was. But I don't want it back because I agree with you guys, and it may have had something to do with the fighting and negativity. I hate being angry, and we all have been in better moods lately.

Harley, please re-read the very first paragraph in this story. If that doesn't answer your question, then yes. This is a story, with advice and a point. Also, you spelled weird incorrectly, and as I am a woman, I do not have a beard. Thank you for your comment regardless.
Harleyquinn (5 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-04-03)
ok so is this a story or is it telling you how to run your own life? I respect that you believe in that dear. But still... Werid with a little beard πŸ˜•

HArLeY❀
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-04-03)
catinasl33ve - the best way for you to get the most help from our members would be to submit your experience as a story all of its own instead of a comment on a couple of different stories.

That way the comments are for you and your experience and aren't taking away from someone else's.
catinasl33ve (2 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-04-03)
please can anyone help me I know this comment is not relevant to rthe story, but I was skateboarding on an open road in the night (very far away form light so it could not have been a shadow) and I went a little to far down the road and (BTW the road is like,-, like the real road was elevated from the ground) I saw a 7-8 foot tall figure that was darker than the rest of the sky and light, and this figure faceless and just BLACK like really dark just walked on to the road looked at me then disappeared PLEASE anyone HELP
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-02)
Steph that is rather creepy wonder what the hell it was? Good work with the swatting, it probably realised as granny mentioned it was going to be ineffective with your presence being there and moved on. πŸ˜•
Have you witnessed it again by any chance? How is the energy and feeling of your home now?

Dan 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-04-02)
sephyw: Holy crap!...And you just swished him away? πŸ˜†...And you said everybody's in a better mood since he left, so I pose this crackpot theory: Maybe he was the cause, or the manifestation, of the negativity?...If he was the cause, I think he was easily dismissed because he couldn't weaken you the way he thought he could πŸ˜†...If he was the manifestation, or projection, of the negativity then you did good givin' him the happy slap! LOL πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-04-02)
Okay, Steph, I have to admit that thing gives me the creeps. I very quickly closed the link when I saw it. It looks nothing like what I have ever seen. Nope, nada. And since I'm nothing except brutally honest where my feelings are concerned, I hope I never run into that thing πŸ˜†

Thank you for posting the link. Maybe someone else has experienced what you have and it will validate their experience.

Yeah, had to look at it once more, just to make sure. It still gave me the creeps πŸ˜†
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-02)
Thanks for the recipe Rook, though I have to admit, I've been guilty myself of passing around your house cleansing recipe 😊. LOL but I'll keep it in mind. Like I mentioned, things have been happier since this, not sure quite why, if it was just me swatting it away, and the negativity leaving with it or what. But everyone in the house has been in a better mood.

As promised, here is a quick sketch of what that thing looked like... But I think it may have been a little taller than what I sketched, though not much. It was fairly short.

Http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s158/stephyw2001/figure.jpg

Sorry its not very good, I've been super busy with lots of various things, and to be honest, its hard for me to remember all its "features" anyway. It was dark and I was tired, but I think I got it fairly close.

Thanks Dan for your comments! I'm not sure why its easy for me to brush these things off, it just is I guess. Maybe I'm the chosen one... πŸ˜† Just kidding. I don't even know what that would mean... Lol
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-02)
Just because Martin was kind enough to remind me of a movie quote...

"BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!" Pennywise the Clown

Rook πŸ˜‰
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-02)
stephy,

Please feel free to use this method that I use for my Family and my Home...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Keep us updated please.

Respectfully,

Rook
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-01)
Steph: I like your approach to these sort of things, easier said then done though in my opinion, but to someone who is used to it and has faced these things a fair bit, no doubt it wouldn't seem such a task.
Looking forward to your sketch on it, what do you think it was? You mentioned it was quite short yes? I do agree with the old negative to negative and positive to positive attraction aswell. Great account! 😊

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-01)
I'll tell you what watches us while we sleep...Clowns!...Clowns with a big red nose wearing purple pants! πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-04-01)
LOL, Steph, I handed it off to Shellzy but looks like it's your turn πŸ˜‰ Although today being what it is, the crown could make it's way around, couldn't it?
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-01)
LOL! Martin! I am soooo amused by your shenanigans! What other common words can I type...? Oh! How about Demon, ghost, story, post, clown, and purple pants. Big red nose? LOL! Love it πŸ˜†
stephyw2001 (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-01)
Haha I would read these comments on April Fools Day. Nice job Martin, changing words to "clown". I was really confused for a moment...

Anyway, thank you all for reading. I did do a brief sketch, but I think what I will do better, is take a picture of the direction I was looking, and then sketch the "figure" over so you guys get the best idea of what I was looking at... I'll post in the comments section. In fact, I"ll go do that now, so I don't forget, and see if I can upload it tonight, or by tomorrow for sure.

Granny, to answer your question, the only thing I have done to dispell any negativity, is to try to think more positively and "lighten up" so to say. We have been in better spirits since this event, so I guess it was a good visitor. I've never seen anything like that before, and haven't seen him since, though I admit, the next night, I kept staring in the direction I saw him in before, kind of waiting for something to happen, but it didn't.

My boyfriend slept through everything. Its not like it took long, after I swatted at it, I fell back asleep myself. I wasn't scared or perterbed by it or anything. I know that sounds weird, but I don't really get scared too easily. Especially when I"m sleeping. Sleep is sacred to me, and I take it very seriously. πŸ˜†

Miracles... Are you the last one to have the crown? I forget if you had it last, or if its still in circulation somewhere! πŸ˜†

Thanks for reading everyone!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-31)
Shellzy - welcome to the Club and since I think I'm in possession of the infamous "crown," I now hand it to you πŸ˜‰
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-03-31)
Thanks Miracles! Oops Sorry! Wrong story! There's my blonde moment for the day! LOL πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-03-31)
shellzy - just thought you might want to know you posted this on the wrong story πŸ˜‰
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-31)
Wow Fergie that's a sad but wonderful story. What an amazing connection your husband and Billy shared. I am glad your husband was able to find some peace knowing his death was an accident. Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy your stories! 😊
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-30)
I had an experience last night, or rather this morning, that I will post in a few days. A lot of what you said Stephyw could be applied to my story.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: