You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Do Disorders Attract The Paranormal?

Real Ghost Stories

Do Disorders Attract The Paranormal?

 

Although this is my first posting, I have been an avid reader of this site for quite some time now, in fact the reason that I found this site was due to the experiences that my friend has had in her house.

The back story:My friend Amanda (not her real name) and I have been friends for approx 18 years we have shared each others lives through the good times and the bad. We are both very similar and share a lot of the same interests, we both work together and we both are married with daughters that are in the same class at school and we both had a hard time trying to fall pregnant with our little girls. Also we live in the same rural town on the Mid North Coast of Australia.

Now back to the story. Amandas little girl,Hannah,is a special 10year old with a personality that's larger than life but Hannah also has ADHD, generalized anxiety and Asperger syndrome (High functioning Autism) although we didn't know any of this until about 5 years ago when she started school and was constantly in trouble for her "larger than life" personality.

The reason that I mention this is because I was wondering if anyone knows if children like Hannah are more likely to have Paranormal experiences or unexplainable things happen around them?

Amanda and her husband live in a house that they built about 3-4 years before Hannah was born. From the moment that Hannah was born she was a VERY unsettled baby, by the time she was two she would lay in bed and say "look at the pretty balls Mummy" pointing into air at the bottom of her bed, or she would see them whilst sitting on her Mums bed. When Amanda asked her to describe the balls Hannah said that they were pretty and would change colour from pink to blue or purple.

One day Amanda rang and told me she had been making the bed and noticed that she had lost the diamond out of her engagement ring, I asked her if she could remember knocking it or doing anything significant so she could retrace her steps to try and find it but I didn't have much hope for her (not that its a tiny diamond but its not so big that you'd trip over it) anyway it would have been at least a month or more when Amanda rang back slightly bewildered saying that she was walking out of Hannahs room when she felt that she kicked something that sounded like a pebble when it hit the tiles in the hallway, when she looked down she saw something shining and it was her diamond!. Mind you she had repeatedly vacuumed and mopped in that area between the time the diamond had gone missing and when she found it. We were shocked but put it down to luck.

On another occasion Amanda was up late cleaning the up the spare bedroom (which is directly across the hall from Hannahs room. Amanda was the only person still awake in the house and she said that it was very late, she was feeling quite tired and thinking about packing it in for the night when she "sensed" someone walking up the hall, knowing that both her husband and Hannah was asleep she looked at the doorway expecting to see her cat and instead what she saw was a little girl about the age of 5 or 6 dressed in an old fashioned dress with old fashioned curls (like how they used to put girls hair into rags to create a curl) walking stiltedly into the room. Amanda of course jumped back in fright and the little girl disappeared. Amanda put this down to being over tired.

Then there was the time that Amanda and her husband were in bed, it was early morning and Amanda was half asleep when she heard Hannah running down the hallway and then just outside her bedroom door say "Mum?"Amanda answered "Yes?"and there was no answer, she was just about to drag herself out bed when her Husband hopped out of bed only to return a few minutes later stating that Hannah was still fast asleep in bed. Amanda confirmed that he also heard Hannah run down the hall and call out to her and he agreed that he did. When Amanda relayed the message to me she was adamant that it was Hannahs voice that she heard.

Then there are many other unusual things that happen, like:

When Hannah told her mum that sometimes she see's a dog sitting in her doorway but then she looks again and its gone. (The dog that she describes fits the description of a dog that Amanda and her husband owned at that house before Hannah was born but sadly died when Amanda was 7 months pregnant with Hannah)

Things will go missing and Amanda will pull the house apart looking for the item only to have it resurface in an obvious position a week or a month later.

Hannah will say to her mum,"Do you sometimes when you're asleep float out of your bed and then you wake up and you land back on your bed?"

The smoke alarm in the hallway outside Hannahs bedroom has gone off for no reason twice now over the years, and then the next day both times something unfortunate and sad has happened. Both times this happened Amanda was in Hannahs room and when the alarm went crazy she walked into the hallway and looked at it and it stopped, just for it to start again when she went back into the room.

Any ideas of what might be going on or feedback would be greatly appreciated, but Amanda wants to make it clear that what ever it is (or isn't) does not feel like a bad energy, she doesn't feel sad or threatened in her own house.

Thanking you in advance.

P.S Sorry about the length.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sara77, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MariaKBL (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-16)
Dear Sara77

I have the same encounter as your friend, my son now 23 years old was also facing the same problem (ADHD and Asperger syndrome and can feel spirit). But as he grow older, the problem seem to get worst. The spirt seem to attach to him more. Most people think that he is nut or mad but I believe he is not as I too can see stuff too. Nevertheless, I never give up of trying to find someone that can him, I am still trying until today. 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
JBarum,
It really is just a myth that we only use 10% of our brains. I don't know why it is still a part of our everyday thought. If we only used 10% we would either be walking around deaf, blind and mute. At two out of three of those anyway. Our brains are complex, but that is still only a myth. The machines they have these days that are used to scan and map out brains have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the myth is just that. And that's just from a cat scan.

Jav
JBarum (28 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
Fair enough, Rook. Religion is a very touchy topic. Javelina, I will check out that article. I like to learn things and be as informed as possible. Problem with science in particular is it changes every 5 seconds and depending on the source, sometimes more. I still believe that most people do not use the full potential of their brain (in more ways than one) 10% may be lower than the true number, but still less. (I only remember seeing/hearing that number)
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-19)
Just to reply to the post, I had ADHD as a child but went onto a mainstream school when I tuned 12, and progressed as I got older, but now, being 24, would probably be classified as "adhd", but I don't really think about it much. But I would say, that perhaps, maybe yes, ones with these "diagnoses" are more prone, as I was as a child, and am still today, but not nearly to that extent. Very glad that you feel nothing threatening or harmful though.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-07)
JBarum,

I try very, very hard not to 'wax religious' here on this site as it can cause confusion and 'spark' arguments. The statement I directed towards Zarbok was because of something he said that made me think he 'Believed in God'... (quoted so you can see what I mean...)

"Also, there are no such things as "demons" as God being good and just would never create beings eternally stuck with suffering and evil."

So I quoted the Bible not... I based, and directed, my comment to Zarbok based on what he had stated and I was truly not trying to be 'Preachy'.

I'm glad you prefer to 'believe' things are as Zarbok stated... But to only have a "God being good and just..." and there not being a polar opposite just seems to upset the whole 'Yen / Yang' thing for me.

Thanks for the link Jav... Enjoyed the reading... Though it was a bit short...

Respectfully,

Rook
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-06)
[at] JBarum,
Actually, you are mistaken about the amount of our brains we use. That is a myth. What you are doing is keeping that myth (that just won't die) alive.
Here is a quote from an article I found in Scientific American:

"Ultimately, it's not that we use 10 percent of our brains, merely that we only understand about 10 percent of how it functions"

It is a short but fascinating article about the "10% Myth". Here is the link to said article, if you are interested.

Http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=people-only-use-10-percent-of-brain

[at] sara77,
Apologies for the interruption. However, the article may be of interest to you as well. 😊

Jav ❀
JBarum (28 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-05)
Rook- Your god is not necessarily everyone else's. Trying to disprove Zarbok by quoting things from the bible isn't a good argument. You'd have to first believe in what the bible says for that to be plausible. I prefer to believe in things as he said. I think humans have this horrible habit of blaming everything wrong in the world and themselves on all these "unseen forces". Bad people do bad things. Good people can too, but they feel horrible about it and probably won't do it again. There are no demons taunting you to do it. It's called will power. To me, everything in the bible is a metaphor. Not meant to be taken literally. That's just my opinion.
JBarum (28 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-05)
I haven't read anyone else's responses yet but I have a theory about those who can see ghosts/etc. I believe that the reason only certain people are prone to seeing/experiencing paranormal activity is because certain parts of their brain are active, where "normal" people's are not. They say we only utilize like 10% of our brain's compacity, or something like that. What is the purpose of the rest? It also explains why "special" children/people are prone to supernatural events as well as people with mental disorders. (depression, anxiety, etc) My other explanation is similar (or the same, I don't know) where it could be the frequency (brain waves) that the person operates on are different. We seem to be more spiritually aware when we're in the midst of falling asleep or in the in between stages. When we dream, our brain waves vary drastically from when we're awake. Maybe these frequencies match or are closer to the frequencies of the dead/spirits. Sensitive people could have brain waves closer to those that people normally have when they're sleeping.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
Sara, I go along the lines of zzsgrany on your account, I don't believe her disorders are making her more receptive, but rather the fact that's she's probably more open to the other side... IMO there are two reasons why ghost seem to come through to children more so than adults...1, is the lack of fear, most young children can't comprehend the difference between the dead and living, especially if they are seeing them in flesh form, they would think they were alive and generally interact with them as such, I have seen ghost fully in flesh and you can't tell the difference, it's truly amazing how our spirit can present body flesh that had previously perished, but the fear of the unknown, whether it's an apparition or full body is still the same if your having that experience from an adult point of view... So!... This makes the encounter easier from the spiritual world and fair minded ghost who generally understand how hard thier presence are for people to deal with and often stay more reclusive...2.the fact that's she young her concious state of mind and perception are not yet fully developed... Perhaps the Autism is contributing to this delay of mind and just maybe she taking longer then other children who seem to switch across around about the age of three and when they can sense danger, I also believe she may be astral projecting if her mother heard her just outside her room... Does she wake up a lot through the night? This too would keep her more in a spiritual state4 of mind.

REGARDS Daz.
mhalditah (9 stories) (36 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
sara77 - guess I have "quirks" πŸ˜†
No worries, I am not offended. As a matter of fact, I deeply am sorry if I offended anyone here because of my comment.
Wow, you got an update huh, cool! And this one is scary as well! Think hannah is sensitive with paranormal. I hope her parents will guide her and protect her in any ways if she will have this gift until she grows up.
Thanks for the update and can't wait for more 😊
sara77 (1 stories) (40 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
Adsouza, Cliney1212 and Taz890- Thanks, Amanda was agreeing all the way with your comments.
Snowprincess and Zarbok- Amanda was all-HELL NO! With the astral projection comments not to disagree with your opinions but because that has never entered her mind.
Steffi-sees-them-Amanda asked what did you mean with your warning?
Miracles-i will pass along your advice about being polite and her opinion is very much that there is nothing bad or evil happening. I'm afraid that even if it was bad she would ignore it as she has watched too many horror movies where someon tries to get rid of the ghost and just manage to p*$# it off.
Sds- I took a lot away from your comment, I have been looking into the question in the title of my story and I agree that to say it has to do with the disorder is generalising, it may seem more common with certain special needs but in the end its down to the individual.
P.s I am never going to try and respond individually to each comment... I have learnt my lesson
😭 πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰
sara77 (1 stories) (40 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
zzsgranny- I agree with you.
LouSlips- Amanda can't talk to Hannah about ghost and the like as she has a lot of anxiety issues and Amanda doesn't want her to freak her out even more than she already does. In fact she said she should keep a diary to jot down the amount of times Hannah mentions hearing/seeing/feeling things that are unexplainable as it happens all the time. Amandas response is always"yeah honey I have that happen" while on the inside she is "What the..."
sara77 (1 stories) (40 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
Gargoyle- You comments were intersting thank you! And they add weight to my "gut feeling" as for you being special... Well I'm sure you are, I know I am πŸ˜†
Thanks for understanding where I was coming from.
sara77 (1 stories) (40 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
thank you Jav and Miracles51031 for the links I will check them out ASAP. Its funny, the story is Amandas but the feeling that it has something to do with Hannah comes from me and I don't know why, its a gut feeling, nothing concrete.
sara77 (1 stories) (40 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
mhalditah- the house was built by them, in an area that had recently been developed, and as stated before I apologise if I offended you with the term "disorders",i read the comments to Amanda as she said, and I quote:"I use the word disorders because I love Dr Phil and he said on one of his shows that people might have "quirks" (like rubbing your ear then sniffing your fingers) but disorders effects how a person functions in everyday life and that is Hannah" πŸ˜†
sara77 (1 stories) (40 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
Thank you to all for the advice it is much appreciated and I will pass it onto Amanda as well.
Now I have some UPDATES!
Not long after I submitted this story Amanda told me of an experience that had happened the night before. She had just put Hannah to bed and gone to bed herself when there was a loud crash that came from the loungeroom. (Her hubby was already fast asleep beside her) Hannah yelled out asking what the noise was and Amanda yelled back that it was just the cats knocking something over and to go to sleep.
Amanda explained to me that she didn't get up to check because she was sure that was the case.
The next morning Hannah and Amanda were talking and Hannah said
"wasnt it nice of Daddy to keep getting up all night and checking on me"
Amanda asked how did she know that? And Hannah replied
"Because,I heard him keep coming into the hallway saying Hannah?... Hannah?"
Amanda agreed that it was nice.
But her Husband never got up that night so it wasn't him doing it.
On a brighter note about a week ago I was on the phone to Amanda, she was lying on her bed talking to me when the smoke alarm outside her bedroom started going off (not the same smoke alarm as previously mentioned) her husband walked up and looked up at it and it stopped he walked away after about a minute it started going off again anyway she got up off the bed and walked towards it (I was still on the phone) and then she stopped and said "wait a sec Sarah I will just put the phone on the bed so its not going off in your ear" I could hear the alarm through the phone and then it stopped, Amanda came back on the phonid did you hear that? As soon as I stood below it, it stopped" We both wondered what might be coming and I asked her to keep me posted. About 3 days later we were picking up our girls from school and I asked her if anything had happened. She was happy to report the worst that happened was that her husband had cut his finger on a dog food can and she had spilt a bottle of purfume through her handbag! πŸ˜†
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
Sara, I would like to tell you something. It is common among Children to have some extra antenna to identify or feel paranormal activities. But we cannot generalise that all children would continue or pursue these activities when they start growing up. I feel that when younger, they are more open minded and have tendency to accept whatever comes their way like a blue tooth accepting all the rays coming through its way. But I don't think that paranormal is associated more with persons with some disorder. The narration was great as far as your (rather your friend's) experience is concerned. If it were to have any relationship with persons having some disorders why others especially your friend and her husband to have the feeling of those experiences. Well I have also come across some persons with autism having paranormal experiences but we cannot generalise. But, your narration and story, both are great. I really could imagine with shivers on my spine when your friend saw the apparition of a small girl in the hall late in the night. Great story. Share some more of the experiences, if any.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
sara77 - as I read your friend's story, I smiled when I came to the missing diamond. Not because it was funny, but because I had similar experience. If your friend is going to read the comments, and is interested, here's the link to my story about my missing diamond earring: http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=10810

I can't comment about Hannah because I know next to nothing about Asperger syndrome. And the little I've been told, through a friend, I'd screw up if I talked about it LOL. So I'll refrain from trying to sound like I know something.

What I do think, though, is there are some "helpful ghosts" in Amanda's home. As she said, they don't feel threatening, bad or sad. Sometimes they just like for people to realize they're there.

Just a piece of friendly advice, from years of experience living with "helpful ghosts" πŸ˜‰, when they do things like sound the smoke alarm and when Amanda found her diamond, tell her to thank them. It's just the polite thing to do. Even if she's not sure it's ghost help, it doesn't hurt to say "thank you" just in case. I just don't like hurting my ghosts' feelings.
sara77 (1 stories) (40 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
WOW,I just logged on and found my story was published! It was submitted over a month ago and I thought that it may have got lost in cyber space, I was going to submit it again 😊
Thank you to all that have responded. I just started reading the comments and relised that people were commenting on my use of the word "disorders" and if it has upset or offended anyone I do apologise as I certainly didn't mean to. Actually to tell the truth I read the story to Amanda and asked what I should title it with and she picked the name. Hannah has been diagnosed with a few different things and I suppose that my freind is use to how the specalists etc speak about what she has.
As for being special... She definitely is that! And I say that with much MUCH love. She is a hyper CRAZY kid and I love her and her Mum very much.
I will read the comments now and respond properly πŸ˜†
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
Pardon the interruption... And excuse the 'slip' into the religious...

Zarbok,

You have made a pretty bold statement in saying...

"Also, there are no such things as "demons" as God being good and just would never create beings eternally stuck with suffering and evil. What we have are disembodied persons that through their own free will decide to do evil (just like with living people), and some of them can have A LOT knowledge so that they're capable of affecting the physical world."

There is one problem with that... The 1/3 of the Heavenly Host that was cast out with Lucifer... They never inhabited a Corporeal (Physical Body) and therefore can not be 'disembodied persons'. They chose to side with a 'Being' who was consumed with Pride, Avarice and Hatred. It is these beings who are the 'Demons', It is these beings that try and lead 'mankind' astray and prevent them from returning to Heaven, which they were cast out of.

To be sure there are Malevolent Spirits that have 'lived' in a Physical Body that 'hang around' and do their best to make peoples lives miserable but there are 'True Demons' as well and they consist of that FALLEN 1/3.

Sorry for the religious nature of this... I just felt I had to get my Opinion out there.

Respectfully,

Rook
Zarbok (2 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
It's common for children to have medium capabilities although it seems you have some too! What your kid does is astral travel when she floats out of her body. Don't worry about it but just let her know that she can pray for help in the astral if she ever feels afraid. Also, there are no such things as "demons" as God being good and just would never create beings eternally stuck with suffering and evil. What we have are disembodied persons that through their own free will decide to do evil (just like with living people), and some of them can have A LOT knowledge so that they're capable of affecting the physical world.

What attracts these "black mages" are unbalanced emotions and trains of thought, so truthful prayer should be able to keep them away if so you ask.

Lemme know if you have any more questions.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
it does sound like there is a lot of acctivity around your friend and her daughter, it is said that children are more open to the paranormal as they have not been taught "its not real" and in a way it is almost like the spirit world knows this, and have heard of children and adults with "speical needs"
(as we in the uk say) do retain this ability.
Thanks for sharing
Taz
steffi_sees_them (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Despite my age, I know quite a bit about the paranormal. Sometimes, when there are smaller children, spirits tend to attract themselves to the children maybe because they remind them of their childhoods, they want to protect them, taunt them, or are simply just curious. There can be many reasons for a spirits attraction. In this case, for Hannah, it seems to be for protection because you said "the smoke alarm outside of Hannah's bedroom keeps going off whenever Amanda goes near the room". There are some friendly spirits like the little girl, who must attract herself to girls her age. I can also think of spirit to human connections passed from another human because the dog that Hannah told her mom of may be trying to connect with her or just saying "Don't forget me". Amanda shouldn't have anything to be worried about, but I'm warning you, you may never know what lies in the future.

P.S. Sorry this reply is very late πŸ˜†
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
I have a nephew with aspergers and he is VERY special indeed. He is extremely talented with numbers computers and symbols... I think these children cannot easily be desensitised and therefor they're wide open. They are also very literal therefor if they say they see something they see it. Imagination is not something that comes easy to a person with aspergers
shadowprincess (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
When her daughter said something about floating out of bed and landing back when asleep, she was probably talking about astral projection. I'm surprised nobody on here discussed that, that's probably the reason why she's experiencing paranormal things. Demons and lost spirits are usually associated with you when you astral travel. Her daughter probably knows how, and the spirit of the little girl must have followed her to her house. Hope this helps! C:
Gargoyle (51 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Hi mhalditah
Don't worry, I'm not offendedI just think that political correctness isn't always helpful to individuals with "special needs" ahem...LOL
I know other blind people who feel the opposite is true.
Now I am going to get off of this particular soap box as the rest of the guys will want to get on with the paranormal stuff!
Cheers and take care
mhalditah (9 stories) (36 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Gargoyle: I understand what you mean, but here in my country, that is how people like you are being called, no offense meant.

Zzsgranny: Yes, special needs is also considered here. But here in my country, we usually use "special child/children" term. 😊
adsouza (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
I'd add to the testimonials. My brother in law is autistic and a GENIUS!
He senses stuff that none of us can see/ feel/ sense/ hear. On more than one instance, I have been forced by him (He is now 16) to turn around and look at something only he sees, etc.
And he is extremely lovable to add.
😊
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Hi, Sara.

I can add to the chorus of support for the theory posed. My daughter is high-functioning autistic and had a particular segment of her life where she was affected by the paranormal that I included in one of my stories. Now that she is getting older (8), she asks me about ghosts when I am watching paranormal television shows, and when I ask her about whether or not she has ever seen one, she does not recall the events that unfolded four years ago.

I can attest that the bulk of the paranormal activity in our home is centered around me, but a large number of occurrences have happened in or adjacent to her bedroom. Both my wife and I have experienced both a little girl that is not our daughter, but have also seen what appears to be our daughter, when our daughter in fact is somewhere else and accounted for. This plays into Jav's mention of a living residual, or possibly a resident entity who is trying to mimick a living being to put us at ease.
Regardless, let your friend know she is not alone. I did not know of any ability I possessed until I was in my mid-twenties, so I do not know if my daughter has "outgrown" her sensitivity or she will be a late bloomer like her dad.:)

Lou
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
sara: There are a lot of us on site that believe Autistic individuals do have a tendency toward experiencing the paranormal, the general consensus being that they act as beacons either because they haven't learned to differentiate the normal from the paranormal, or because entities find them more receptive and accepting...However, from your account I gather that Hannah's not the only one having experiences... Your question is whether those with special needs (the true politically correct term πŸ˜†) can ATTRACT the paranormal, and in this instance it seems likely...

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: