You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Scared Cats

Real Ghost Stories

Scared Cats

 

I am new here so I thought I'd share my story of when I was younger.

When I was 11 years old, my family and I moved to the small bay of plenty town of Kawerau. The house we rented there would of been built in the late 1980's. We were all excited about the prospect of moving into this house because for the time it was quite a new house.

The first day we moved in, we all noticed it had an empty/cold feeling, but didn't think much of it because everything was unpacked and, after all, it was our first day. The next day we collected our three very outgoing cats from the cattery and bought them home. These cats weren't strangers to moving into new houses as we had moved a lot. But as soon as we let the out of their cages, instead of exploring they all hid.

We just put this down to them being in the cattery until about a week had passed and they were still hiding. Then they started refusing food and became increasingly skittish. And in the case of one of the cats, aggressive.

A month after we had moved in, things started getting strange. My brothers and I started to feel the urge to run every time we were going back to the lounge from the bedrooms, and everybody stared to get stressed out and irritated with each other. We started to see a dark shadow moving along the hallway heading from the bedrooms to the living area of the house. My stepdad was so convinced there was someone in the house, he got up at night a few times with a cricket bat.

After about three months, we started experiencing electrical faults, appliances started to burn out, as well as light fittings. Along with this, my older brother started complaining that he was hearing whispering in his ears at night when he was trying to get to sleep.

My mum was startled awake one night by this whispering, as well, and when she opened her eyes she could see two kids whispering to each other at the end of her bed.

As the months went passed the feeling in the house became more and more strained, things started to get moved that belonged to other family members causing fights. Doors started to slam shut in our faces, and lights would be on when we came home after being out at night, again causing conflict. By this time, the cats would go out and stay out for days and would refuse to come in the house when they did come back.

Eventually my mum and stepdad got enough money together for a deposit on our own house and we moved out after being there 8 months. When we got to the new house, the cats returned to their positive outgoing selves and the whole family started to get along again as always.

After being in the new place for a couple of years, my mum ran into the property manager and asked how the old house was. The property manager said it was okay, but that she had problems keeping tenants for any longer than a few months.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mrsullivanniall, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Swaqqueen (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Well that was a great story. I m pleased that you are out of the house.
😁
mrsullivanniall (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-01)
x77 yes you can, I would be happy for you to do that. Thanks for the feedback.
x77 (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
excuse me, I am a user from Taiwan.

Your story is very scary and impressing, could I translate it into chinese, and submit the story to PTT (the biggest Bulletin Board System in Taiwan)?

Thank you!
Cocoa (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-09)
On the occasion my cat will just stare at nothing and then run off. She did it this morning though this time instead of running... She PURRED!

Anyways great story, I never new New Zealand would be THAT haunted!
mrsullivanniall (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-09)
Thanks for the feedback everybody. 😊 I have tried to do research on the property but nothing of any interest comes up. Also I can't give the address as to protect the privacy of any body living there.

I agree with you lady-glow the spirits there need help to move on. Hopefully between then and now they have been helped.
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-08)
Wow, I always watch my cat with these things, now I have a puppy and she'll bark randomly at nothing. I think nothing of it, I'll worry when she starts doing tricks for no reason...

Anyways (way to go off topic Manna, lol)

Thank you for sharing your story with us! I found it really interesting and glad you guys saw the signs and left as quick as you could. I had to learn the hard way just because a house was built newer, the land was not, I'd research the property and find out what was there before... Might be a interesting find!

Stay Safe ❤!
xshainax (1 stories) (5 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-04-08)
My cats stare at unseen things for hours and it started after my grandma died
Markiza (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-07)
Yes, cats, as most other animals, are highly sensitive to whatever sinister they come across. So the reaction of your pets is quite explainable. Now the question is, what is wrong with the house? Beyond doubt, there're several paranormal entities dwelling there, and they already drove away quite a number of families. It's your luck you got out safe. Could you drop the location/address of the spot?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-07)
mrsullivanniall,
I've always felt that our animals are a pretty good gauge of something not being 'right' in these situations. However, there is also another possibility to consider in such an instance. And that would be the presence of a high EMF field in the home. The symptoms are all very similar to what you reported here, even for the cats. You also noted the electrical problems that began shortly after moving in. The voices, seeing shapes move past in your peripheral vision, waking to seeing children at the foot of the bed, plus the whispering. Overall uneasiness that eventually turned stressful. And that the entire household was affected is probably the biggest clue of all. There always seems to be at least one sceptic in the family when things occur that cannot be explained. But in the case of your family and pets, you were all affected. I would worry that without a proper going over by a professional electrician, that house may be quite unstable, as far as living conditions are concerned.
Now, that being said, if that turned out not to be the cause? I'd have to go with the creepy.
Thank you for sharing. You write well and I look forward to reading any future posts as well.

Jav 😊
ind_83 (55 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-07)
wow, now that is a creepy story, I must say. Anyways I am glad to read that you and your family came out of that house. I think that is the best thing people can do in that kind of situation not to make the matter or worse. 😊
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-06)
Interesting story. I'm glad you moved out of that place before things got worse.

Though it would be nice if some one could help those spirits to move on.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: