You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Ghost Town

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Town

 

My name is Kris, I live in Cairns in Far North Queenland Australia. As a professional Paranormal investigator I travel the country researcing and documenting paranormal phenomena, what you are about to read are actual case notes from one of my investigations that took place in the remote wastelands of Far North Queensland.

October 2006...

Location: Maytown.

History: Former gold mining town in the 1800's.

Source: State and National archives.

Case Note: " If you lived in Maytown... You died in Maytown "

Maytown...the first payable gold was discovered there in 1873 by James Venture Mulligan. Word quickly spread throughout the land of extremly rich alluvial gold deposits found from its many creeks and streams, thousands of prospectors from all over the country quickly decended on Maytown all seeking their fortune. Unfortunatly the harsh unforgiving land did not give up its treasures so easily and many miners perished in their pursuit for wealth and a better life.

Now all that's left are a few scattered remains of was once a busy community and as you stand on the fringe of the township you can't help but to manifest and visualise a community struggling to survive in the ever present shadow of povety and hardship.

Modern day: The town has an uneasy eerie feeling about it, like you are being watched and as you walk down the main street you can feel the eyes of the towns people following you and you can't shake the feeling that you don't belong there and that you are not welcome.

The following are my case notes that I later recorded after I was released from hospital following my incident during this investigtion.

10:45 PM... After completing my equipment check I was about to walk up into the centre of town which was just short of a mile from base camp. Being alone in such a remote location had already put me on edge but I had a job to do so I focused on that fact and went about my work. My plan was to leave one of the digital audio recorders at base camp to record my departure and my return and anything in between that time. As with any investigation there are a lot of random photo's taken of anything and everything and this was no different, as I am about to leave base camp I attempt to take some photo's and find that the camera is failing, knowing I had already completed an equipment check with no problems noted I began to recheck the settings on the camera.

Somewhat annoyed with the camera failing I had forgotten that I had started the audio recorder and it was capturing everything I was saying and everything around me! At 11:02 PM (time taken from the audio recorder) you can hear a voice of unknown origin forcefully say..." we not happy photo ". It was at that precise time that my camera was knocked out of my hands and I was hit with such a force that it knocked me to the ground. My first initial reaction was to get up but when I found I couldn't because I was injured I stayed down, it was another two days before the pick up vehicle came to get me, when they arrived they found me down in the river in the cool wet sand under a paper bark tree.

On my return to Cairns I was in such pain that I was taken straight to the Cairns Base Hospital where x-rays were done and they showed three exploded discs in my lower back. When asked by the doctor how it happened I had no answer...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FPR, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-04-21)
Moonpig: The best way to get advice is to write up your experiences and submit them. We try to keep the comments thread content to the original author's account. Thank you.
Moonpig1 (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-20)
Hello, I'm from Cairns and I have been having some paromnormal activity at home and just wondering if any-one has any expert advise to offer. I went to a supposed psychic who said it was a "house elf" but I'm not convinced. I've been in the house for 4 years with out anything weird happening, very curious about what is going on...
emjayne (5 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-07)
This is an extremely fascinating story! I live in Cairns and I have to say, there is very little ghost action around here besides the restricted Aboriginal sites. I might have to take a trip inland and find one of these towns
Haunted1234 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-31)
Hey I am also living in Cairns, was a paranormal investigator in the Uk for two years mainly old jails and the odd pub! Would love to join likeminded people... I miss my ghost hunting!
Kylie (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
How freaked were you during the wait to be picked up? Have you done any more investigations in the region? Have you had anything like that happen before/ since?

If you need a partner, I live in the Cairns region too. I can not gaurantee I won't freak/freeze because I am the noobiest noob with zero experance on all levels.
Sunt-Legio (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-09)
Maskim, Utuk Xul, Those who haunt the desert wastes. How many fortune seekers broke their backs, day after day working the alluvium in that river? Is the place you sought to survive the place that took their lives. They are seven.
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-09)
Three exploded discs! Does one recover from that? You Aussies are a tough bunch. Hope you can deal with the pain, and have a good doctor, if one in fact exists. What was it you fell on, or over?
That's one nasty spirit. At least it's found an extremely secluded place to attatch itself to. Perhaps, you should let this one go. Though I don't think I could, after something like that, things get personal.
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-09)
zzsgranny is right I wouldn't have even thought of going it alone but, I guess you learned that the hard way. It must be really something to visit a ghost town I used to live in the U. S. In North Dakota but never got to visit a ghost town. I don't know why the spirit didn't bother you further while you waited for your ride home. I guess it felt that you got the message. Thank you so much for sharing please share some more it is SO interesting.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+5
12 years ago (2012-04-09)
FPR: First off, I'm going to give you the "Granny lecture" about ghost hunting by yourself... It is, without a doubt, THE number one rule: NEVER hunt alone... These abandoned places have many dangers that aren't even related to the paranormal... Going alone is not only irrational, it's irresponsible...Okay, I forgive you... This time 😆...

Now, my question is, did you have any further experiences while awaiting your pick-up?...Seems to me if whatever entity was there knew you were alone, they would continue to attempt contact until you left...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: