You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Girl In The Old House

Real Ghost Stories

Girl In The Old House

 

Firstly,I just want to say that this story I am about to write about is not a ghost I have encountered, but one my elder cousin, who I trust very much and would not lie about such things, experienced some time ago.

The park by the bridge which was the location of the event with the 'Ghost car' I had took place, an old house lies just near the other end of the park (not near the bridge). It is a old house, built circa Tudor/Victorian times, and you can tell when you look at it. It is probably the house of the park-keeper, but it had been closed off for many years my cousin says, and the only way to access it is obviously by forced entry and trespassing.

So, some time before now, my cousin and some friends of his were walking home, going away from the canal. His journey route home takes him past the park and the old house.

As he walked past, he told me that he and his friends looked up at the top floor of the house, in the largest window. He reports that he and his friends all saw an elderly women, who was looking out of the window, unaware of being watched.

But,my cousin also told me something else about this figure he and his mates had seen-he says that one of his friends was told about the people who used to live there.

According to tales, years ago, around the 1890's,a family of two parents and their 3 children lived in that very house. But, for unknown reasons, the family decided to move away, but left the eldest child in the house by accident. They could not get her out, as they had handed over the keys to the people who technically own the house. They had no choice but to leave the child in the house.

And does the young girl wait for her parents to come and take her home to this day?

Other hauntings by scarynfreaky

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, scarynfreaky, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-15)
I do not think that in any era whether it was 1800s or 1700s, if you sell a house, everything in it including the inmates are sold with it. I cannot by any stretch of imagination could accept it. Also, if the child was the eldest of the three, then definitely she could have yelled out to someone for help, let alone the parents, would have definitely made a hue and cry except if she was dumb. Even if she was dumb, she would have definitely tried to climb out or break something to catch the attention of others or neighbours or passersby.

So it is difficult to believe the narrative. It might be some other apparition, if one tries to believe, but definitely not the left out child.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
elnoraemily (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-15)
The part at the end is rubbish. The new owners could have just opened the door. They could have just broken a window and hauled her out. Or she could have just opened the door herself from the inside. This house obviously has windows from the story. A malfunctioning door does not keep someone from escaping a house.
Wicked_Child (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
You'd think that maybe if the eldest was locked in the house, she would have unlocked the door and left. I think a story I'd believe more about the apparition was perhaps a gardian angel or a close friend who lost track of the family and stayed there in hopes of said family returning?
Demonkiller (32 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-15)
It seems that the eldest child hid from the owners of the house and grew old then died but still hopes that her parents will come back for her.

😊
bereal25 (1 stories) (22 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
I agree with the others that the child being locked inside seems off. That doesn't make sense to me. Unless they were being held against their will I don't really understand how someone can be locked inside a house, even during that era.

Also, wouldn't it have made more sense if the figure seen was that of the forgotten child? Not an elderly woman?
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
Im not doubting that your cousin could have seen an apparation but I doubt it's related a "haunted house tale" that has been embelished over the years and now does not make any sense...
As Rook said, doors can be opened from the inside even in the 1890's. Who could possibly just leave a child behind, hand over new keys to the owners (who then could have let the child out) and just say "oh well, we can't get the child out so bad luck for him or her?" If it was that desperate of a situation I would imagine a parent would even break a window or something to get the child out even in the 1890's...
adsouza (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
This sounds too far fetched for me to put any fact around it...
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
I was with you until the last bit there... I'll quote it...

"According to tales, years ago, around the 1890's,a family of two parents and their 3 children lived in that very house. But, for unknown reasons, the family decided to move away, but left the eldest child in the house by accident. They could not get her out, as they had handed over the keys to the people who technically own the house. They had no choice but to leave the child in the house."

A person inside a locked house can open the locks from the inside... Unless there was some physical reason that prevented the individual inside from doing so. This holds true even for doors in the 1890's. Not to mention if the keys had been turned over... How hard to locate the 'new owners' and have them let out this child...Sorry, this one get my vote for the BS Blankie... At least the part about the 'Eldest Child' being locked in and left behind goes.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: