You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: A Christmas Fright

Real Ghost Stories

A Christmas Fright

 

This was my first, and only, experience with a Ouija board...

It was the week after Christmas, 1969, and I'd just returned to Boy's Village, a juvenile institution in Ohio, after Christmas vacation at home. I'd turned fourteen two days before Christmas, and enjoyed spending time with my mother and brothers.

At the time, Boy's Village had sixty boys in residence, divided up between five cottages. I lived in Eagles, the newest and largest, with eleven other guys, and an older married couple who served as surrogate parents. Only two other boys had returned at that point; everyone else was due back the next day.

We built a fire in the fireplace, built sandwiches from leftovers in the fridge, and hung out in the dining room, talking about our holidays. We'd each brought back presents from home, radios, toys, and such, and one of the guys brought out a Ouija board he'd gotten. I'd heard of them, although I'd never seen one before-nor had the other two-so we decided to try it out.

The three of us set it up, and sat there at the dining room table, our fingers touching the planchette lightly, as the instructions said. We asked the board, and who (?) ever was connected with it ordinary questions, will I pass the English exam, that sort of thing, and got simple answers. The planchette moved, but, other than to affirm to myself that I wasn't moving it, I really didn't give it much thought-it was just interesting.

One of the guys accused the other, the one who owned the board, of moving the planchette, which he summarily denied. They went back and forth for a bit, and finally the accuser said, "F#$^ this! I'll prove you're moving it!"

Then he said, in a loud voice, his hands still on the planchette,

"HEY! YOU! I don't believe you're real! If you are, SHOW US!"

I mentioned we'd lit a fire in the fireplace; as we'd gotten involved with eating, the board, we'd let it burn down to almost nothing.

No sooner did the fellow challenge the board, than a sheet of blue flame leapt up from the ashes, and up the flue, with a loud, WOOSHING hiss.

We put the board back in its box, and put the box on the top shelf in the hall closet.

For all I know, it's STILL there.

Other hauntings by alandhopewell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alandhopewell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-12)
That may be exactly what led to the other experiences, especially as I and my friends were disposed to monkey with such stuff, in later years.
piyuprmr (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-01)
we should not challange evil
That was long before done by you in the childhood but the spirits has power to come and chase you through that board no offence
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-26)
Doesn't
explain the fireplace. Ouija boards are nothing to play with.
lawluck1 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-25)
Ideomotor effect is my best answer that and young tired minds but who knows I wasn't there
randomgurl987 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-15)
lesson. You should never play with those boards.

Never know what you could invite inside
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
I've played it safe, and never messed with a ouija board since.
Purplefox (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
Don't EVER challenge ANY spirit/entity like that! Especially if its a demon! You will anger it!
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-14)
MIRACLES- At the time this happened, myself and the other two (can't recall their names, after all these years), were the only people in the cottage.

Any which way, I've never been tempted to mess wiith one again; also, I've found through my own study that many bad hauntings began with or had something to do with a Ouija board.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
Might indeed be coincidence but scary enough to scare you away from ouija boards - which is a good thing. Nicely told story.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
Alan - there may be logical, and perfectly non-paranormal, explanations for what caused the blue flame to leap up from the ashes with a "loud, WOOSHING hiss." There could have been something in the fireplace that you weren't aware of and it was just uncanny timing. Or someone could have thrown something in when you and your friends weren't looking.

I'm not suggesting you didn't have a Ouija Board experience. I'm just offering other possibilities. Regardless, I'm pretty sure it would have scared me 😉
little_love_lolo (4 stories) (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
'...touch one AGAIN.' Pardon the ridiculous typo. It is SO Friday.
little_love_lolo (4 stories) (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
Ouija boards are pretty serious stuff. My brother had a similar experience just a few years ago and he's sworn never to touch one another. Thanks for sharing! 😊
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
I never did; I've left more than one party where one was brought out.
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
That's pretty creepy I don't think you guys got rid of the spirit that may have entered the place that night. There is a way you are supposed to close a session and if you don't do it a certain way whatever spirit entered without you guys knowing may still be there sorry to say. If I were you I would never ever touch one of those boards again!. Thanks for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: