You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Friends' House Occurrences

Real Ghost Stories

My Friends' House Occurrences

 

I asked permission from my friends before posting this, as it is their house. They're a married couple with two children. I mention this because the kids will come into play, and to give an idea of what type of people they are. For the duration, I'll call them Tod and Carla, the kids I'll refer to as Peter and Paul, none of which are their real names.

The first incident I know of, Tod mentioned that shortly after setting up the Christmas tree, he'd seen an elderly man shake it and then disappear. He said the man seemed genuinely curious what it was, and he got the feeling the shake was experimenting a little with it.

The next incident involved me directly. Carla had just left with Peter and Paul to take them to school, as they lived too close for a bus and too far to walk. Their leaving woke me up slightly, but I was able to move and everything, in fact I mumbled a "later" to Carla as she left. After they'd pulled out of the driveway, I heard the distinctive sound of a cat contently purring next to my head. At the time, they didn't own a cat, but it sounded happy so I wasn't scared. As I was listening to this, I also got a distinct feeling of a Native American man sitting in the middle of the floor, Indian style (I don't know any other way to describe that style of sitting). The man seemed to know I was there and in fact be there because I was there. Again, he didn't seem angry, more of a friend.

The next one again involved me, and happened in their basement. After my experience with the cat and the man, they told me that if anything showed up to tell it that they told me it had to leave. Well, I was creating a character because we were going to roleplay the next night after Tod got home, and being a Night Owl anyways, I decided to get a jump on mine. As I was doing so, I suddenly felt a pacing behind me. I told it what they told me to say, and then apologized as I disagreed with their verdict. In response, the book I'd just closed shook at me, slightly above where I'd sat it. I don't know if this is connected or coincidence, but we found out a truck driver had slid off a bridge around that time and died.

We now turn to the only hostile one I've experienced there. I was sleeping on the futon in the living room, and Paul, their oldest, was sleeping in the top bunk of his room with Peter in the bottom. At the same exact moment, or as near as humanly possible, Paul and I woke up from severe nightmares. It wasn't a matter of Paul's screaming for his Mommy that woke me, more like as I was waking up and convincing myself it was a dream Paul screamed. I turned and looked at the front window as there's a church there and I figured I'd focus on it to calm down. I think I saw instead what gave us the nightmares. There outside the window was the profile shadow of a hunched over figure.

I know this sounds like the old hag, but Carla confided in me about a week later that after that night, she had gotten up to go to the bathroom and happened to look into the living room. There in the middle of the room stood the same figure I'd seen before. She demanded it leave and never return and as far as I know it hasn't as of this writing.

Finally, when the family goes on vacations, I tend to watch their house for them. I've experienced odd little things like the kids' bedroom door not staying shut even when I tug hard on it to make sure it's latched. One time though will always stick out in an "Awww" and a sad sense at the same time. This is a while after the experience before with the cat purring, and since then, they'd gotten two cats, Molly (a pure black cat) and Hermes (a mixture of colors with tiger striping). One night while watching the house, I looked into the kitchen and thought I saw Hermes eating. I decided I was going to pet him so I called to him. He looked up at me and started walking towards me, so I went to meet him at the doorway between living room and kitchen. It wasn't Hermes, because, as it got nearer the door, I bent down to pick him up, and the cat leaped as if to leap into my arms playfully, and disappeared as his front legs left the kitchen.

Now, during all this, there was a house next door. While they've lived there, there was a period where people moved in and quickly moved out. The house was in disrepair, and we figured it was because of that. After a couple years, it became an abandoned house, and was eventually torn down by the city. Ever since it's been torn down, there have been no more odd occurrences. Can one house's ghosts "visit" the neighbors?

Other hauntings by teneki

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, teneki, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-21)
I just see him as being part of you. I don't know how else to say it. It's like he belongs.
The activity could have come from next door because of the instability of the place. No telling what was there. It could very well have been friendly spirits only. You know how it is with a lot of people, they think ghosts are scary no matter what. "Hollywood Syndrome". The movies really do put so much misinformation out to the viewing public.

Thank you for your prayers teneki. 😊

Jav ❤
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-21)
Both Carla and I described it to each other, after she saw it, as being mostly black or wearing a black cloak/robe. It wasn't completely clear which to me seeing it in silhoutte nor was it completely clear to her seeing it just from the light hitting the living room (same room I saw it outside the window of).

The only connection I have to Native Americans is, my Granny (my Dad's Mom) always said that we had a family member who was a private under Custer who was engaged or married, I never quite understood which, and killed in the Last Stand. According to Granny, that was either her grandmother or great grandmother. So, I have some Blackfoot in me.

Also, I'll keep you in my prayers, please keep us posted as things occur.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-21)
Thank you teneki. But I haven't had it yet. Next week will be the first. I appreciate the inquiry. I was just tired of sitting back with nothing to do. I can see with one eye right now, if I use a magnifying glass and sit close. It just takes longer, that's all. 😁

That hunched over figure seems to have made itself known. That is what interests me. Why? And how long has it been there?
The native American man actually doesn't surprise me, as it hadn't you. I don't see him as symbolism either. He is connected to you, I think.
Can you tell me any more about the hunched over figure?

Jav
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-21)
Nope, didn't look like it at all unfortunately. That would have been interesting if it had been though.

Also, welcome back to ygs Jav, I hope the operation went well for you!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-21)
Hi teneki,
I really don't know what to think about this one. I think it is interesting that you and the boy awoke almost simultaneously that night, that is odd. The hunched over figure being seen by Carla makes that a validation as well. The text shaking above where it was set is a little freaky. No idea where that was coming from either.
Wait... The hunched over figure? Was it in any way similarly shaped like the brick builder was from your very first experience? I realize that is a long shot, but it popped into my head, so I had to ask.

Jav 😊
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-17)
Molly, my friends' black cat does once in a while, however, that said, "Tod" and "Carla" think that Molly may have dementia as she also gets lost downstairs. Hermes just steps around areas, but he does that when walking in front of a person too.

Peter and Paul tried doing a nightly recording once, but only got "mumbles". Unfortunately, they did that while they were all home, so those mumbles could also have been any of them.
khutch (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-17)
Hi Teneki,
Instead of ghosts visiting houses, maybe the land in that area was a old burial ground. I say this because you have many different characters, from nice to hostile. I would research the history and see if it leads to anything. I "hunched creature", really creeps me out. I also was curious about something. Animals have great senses, especially with after life. Does any of the cats stare off at nothing or hiss for no reason?
Good Luck 😁
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-17)
Well, as to how many experiences I've had, I'm 38 and just seem to get "lucky". My friend, the one mentioned here, posed the theory once, that maybe I attract them.

If so, that could explain why I've had quite a few. It could also explain why my Dad could go up north and not experience what I have. That or he was so dead set there was no such thing that his mind instantly came up with "cover stories".

Dad did tell me about a couple "odd occurrences" that most of us probably would category as ghost, like talking to a sheriff at the same time he was killed across town.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-17)
Hi teneki, you certainly have had a few uncanny experiences. I am not sure if spirits can 'bleed' into another area, I will have to leave that one to more experienced readers.
I remember that in your comment on my very first story, you mentioned the 'disappearing' cat. I still would have liked to be there to see the look on your face! I bet it was priceless!
I, personally, believe in the "please don't scare me or the children" tactic, rather than "get out of my house". It may have been their home once, & unless they are harmful, I think that they have a right to stay. But, that is only my personal take on that sort of thing. 🤔 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: