You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: What Was Here Before Cabin 112?

Real Ghost Stories

What Was Here Before Cabin 112?

 

I'm going to start this story off by first stating that I am going to decline to mention the specific cabin property we stayed at, simply for courtesy sake. I will instead call it Cabin 112, which is what it said on the map of the property. Also, certain names have been changed, well, because I think it's rude to tell a story without that person's permission. This story is long, so be prepared. Now, if your still here after all that rambling, my story is as follows:

This last Thursday, my Rob (husband) and I left town to have a 4 day weekend at a cabin on the outskirts of Gatlinburg, Tennessee. We left at 3-4 pm on Thursday and decided that we would drive as far as we could, then get a hotel. We arrived in G-burg (because it has tricky spelling and I don't want to type it all out lol) on Friday around noon, and headed to the property where we were going to be staying. Upon arrival I noticed that there were several hang arounders, my word for those spirits that just can't/won't move on, and told Rob so. He laughed and said "I thought it was just you and I this weekend!"

So we pull up and I noticed this little boy about 5-6 years old, hanging around the bathroom. I didn't think anything about it, as we had never been here before and who am I to tell someone that they shouldn't let their kid play by the busy road? (BTW, You shouldn't let your kids play by the busy road! Lol) Rob went inside to check in as I jotted down our license plate number and make/model of our car. I didn't really think about the little boy until I heard a scream followed by another scream, and I turned around to see that same little boy being rocked in the arms of a VERY grief stricken mother. As I started to rush over and offer any assistance I could, I locked eyes with the mother and they both faded away.

This happens to me a lot so, although I was a bit rattled, I cleared my head and went inside. After we gave all of our information to the clerk Becky, she handed us a map and told us where to find Cabin 112. So we head off in the direction of the cabin, and as we pass the bathroom, I notice the little boy again. He obviously doesn't know I am even around, and I'm ok with not being bothered on my "romantic" weekend. On our way up the road, I notice this guy walking ahead of us with a pack hanging from his back. As we passed him, I turned around to see that he was wearing pants that didn't quite reach his ankles, his shoes looked worn, and he has what looked like deep scars the right side of his face. He faded almost as quickly as the grieving mom and her son. Somehow I KNEW this weekend wasn't going to turn out how I thought.

After a few minutes, we arrive at our cabin. Turns out our cabin is up towards the top of this hill, and deep, deep, DEEP in the woods. Did I say deep? Lol Normally I am not as much of a baby about staying in the woods, but from the moment I got out of the car, I felt like I wasn't wanted there. If anyone else has experienced this type of thing, you know the feeling I'm talking about. I just wanted to get back in the car and tell Rob that he could stay if he wanted, but something didn't want me around, and I was happy to leave it with its ghostly attitude and find a Hilton!

We get up on the porch to unlock the door, and we heard voices inside the cabin. I was shocked, as this time Rob heard it too. We both looked at each other and backed away a bit, we certainly didn't want to walk in on anyone due to Becky accidentally renting the cabin to us. So we knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer. We heard silence after the first knock, but when we knocked a 2nd time we heard hushed voices and hurried footsteps. I was getting mad, because it's rude to know someone is at the door and not answer it. So I leaned over to look in the window, and I saw... Nothing, not a single thing. Not a light, not a person, not even luggage. So I told Rob I didn't see anyone, but asked him to call the Becky anyway to make sure there was no one here.

He went to the car to make the call, and I went around back to see if there was anyone about. Behind the cabin was this BEAUTIFUL fountain with some kind of bird at the top. I felt drawn to it for some reason, and decided I would take a closer look. I walked around the other side of the fountain to see what kind of bird it was, and I noticed a small line of stones along the tree line. Now to be clear, I have absolutely no idea what kind of stones they were. I just noticed that they seemed broken off or weather worn. My loving husband picked that moment to holler my name like his life depended on it, and scare me half out of my life! He said that Becky told him that no one should be in Cabin 112, as the last reservation before us was 2 weeks ago. We went back around front, and unlocked the door and stepped inside. For all intents and purposes it was a very normal cabin, except this HUGE dresser that has 3 drawers on the bottom, 2 smaller but longer drawers above that, and finally 2 small drawers at the top. I noticed that the top left drawer was opened a bit, and I can't stand that so I closed it. We walked around to look at every nook and cranny, because we were still a bit paranoid of the voices we heard inside earlier. As you can guess, we didn't find a thing.

We unpacked our stuff and put it away in the dresser mentioned earlier and again, the drawer was opened but I assumed Rob opened it for me and I closed it after putting the rest of my stuff away.

We brought the cooler in and proceeded to make dinner. I have never cooked on a gas stove before and was afraid of burning something, so I asked Rob to help me keep the temperate regulated. As I moved from the counter to the stove behind me, I noticed something move quickly from the stove to the doorway by the patio. I peeked around to see if it was Rob, but caught myself when I realized he was in the kitchen with me. Not even a split second later I heard what sounded like a scuffle coming from the living room. It was the sound of shoes dragging across the hardwood floor, followed by a sound similar to the bang when you're tenderizing meat on a formica counter. Like a bang, scrape, drag. Bang, scrape, drag. I was so disturbed by this that I felt pain in my hands and realized that it was because I had a death grip on the pan and was shaking like a leaf.

I turned around to ask Rob if he heard that, and the look on his face was all I needed to see. He was stark white and his eyes were bulging out of his head. Being the guy, he told me to stay quiet in the kitchen while he went to look. Although I could tell he didn't really want to, and I could see in his eye that he was begging for me to tell him not to. I told him that we would go look together and to grab his cell phone, and I still had the cast iron skillet in my hand. Someone was going to get brained if they even looked like they were going to hack me to pieces!

We moved slowly into the living room, and didn't see anything. Checked the small bedroom, and nothing. As we get to the larger bedroom door, we hear those same voices as when we first arrived: hushed and hurried as if they were trying to not alert us that they were there. So Rob puts his finger up to his lips signaling me to be quiet, then he ninja kicks the door opened. I lost it into a fit of giggles, because he had just told me to keep quiet, then proceeded to make the most noise of either of us!

Then I realized we were looking for people in the cabin and I probably just alerted them to our presence. (As if they missed the ninja kick heard round the world lol.) So we look in and it's empty, like I knew it would be. As I glanced around the room, I noticed the the drawer was opened AGAIN. I was getting a bit rattled so I calmly said, "We are here to have a good time, and we would appreciate it of you would stop with the voices and noises. I see that you seem to be looking for something that used to be in the top left drawer of the dresser, but I'm sorry to tell you that it's gone. Please leave, or at least be silent while we enjoy our time here." I felt the air lighten almost instantly, and nary a sound was heard the rest of the trip, from whatever it was.

If you're still with me, I appreciate it. I asked about Cabin 112 around town when I was there, asked Becky, and asked others at the property, no one seemed to know anything about the history or any weird happenings. I haven't done any research as we just got home today, but I plan to as soon as possible. I want to find out what that noise was, what the stones in the backyard were, the history of the land, and what's with that dang dresser drawer! Thanks for reading, and I hope you're still awake.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AppleSauce27, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-03)
Well, I'm pretty late to the party, if anyone is still around. Good to hear about the updates too. Sounds like a lot of things going on in those woods, very tragic about the boy.

If Cabin 112 was on part of the spot where the old house was, that would explain the activity.

I wonder since you were in the kitchen, the scraping/banging noise you figured was tenderizing steak, but could the same noise be created with a body between rocks?

Instead of counter/steak/hammer, what if it was in fact rock/body/weapon? Kind of gross and grim, but why else would that noise be relevant in a haunting?

It sounds very conspiracy oriented, no records, hushed voices, unwelcoming atmosphere. Body beaten, brought in, dragged across the floor, two people freaking out in whispers WHAT DO WE DO NOW?! Someone looking (for probably a key) in the dresser to help get rid of the evidence.

It doesn't sound residual, they heard your knocking and they left after you yelled at them.

Looking for something in a dresser suggests an intimate resident (lover) to me, did you uncover a motive? I keep thinking of the ending of American Beauty with this one. Would explain the absence of records.
beautifuleden (2 stories) (66 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
Wow I am going to read all your stories right now! I LOVE the way you write! 😁
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
What a fantastic narrative! I notice that you had a little update on the research from the archivist - anything else? I'm salivating πŸ˜‰

And thanks for clarifying the "meat slapping" - I pulled a 'yikes' face at that. πŸ˜†
sillygirl111 (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Wow your super brave and I've read two of your stories and similar things happen to me except I don't hear things I see people and like creatures and I see them speaking but I can't hear them
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
His pack was more of a "shirt with items stuffed inside" type of pack, not an actual backpack. I am hoping to get some more information next week (May 11th) as ironically a friend of ours is eloping to Gatlinburg next weekend, and asked my husband and I to be witnesses. I just hope they don't want to stay where we did. Lol My husband is one of those people that think that if you make enough noise, it will leave. I have trouble explaining to him that he makes so much noise, that it covers up the noise of them leaving, and we will never know when they do. πŸ˜‰
tempestmoong (3 stories) (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
Read the whole thing and loved it! ❀
Not sure that I agree about the man walking you said that he had on a pack do you have any idea the era. Might help you pin down a time frame for him.
The ninja Kick LMAO!
Funniest part I had an image of my husband he'd do exactly the same thing! LOL πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-21)
If it was a teacher/sheriff, you may want to check the archives if any neighboring townships from that time. It stands to reason that the news of a crime like murder would spread some. That is, if you haven't already. πŸ˜‰

Good hunting,
Jav 😊
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-21)
Ha! No, I have only cooked on electric, so I wasn't sure if there was a trick to it. LOL I'm desperately working on it. What I have uncovered on my own has been very little, and I'm a bit puzzled as to why. I agree that it doesn't make sense. I'm unsure as to if he was a sheriff first, teacher first, or both at the same time. However, like I said, I am working on it and hope to have some answers soon!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-04-21)
MizMiMi02,
You've NEVER cooked on a gas top stove before then? Oh my... Just kidding! I thought it was funny that you thought you might need help regulating the heat.
I was also wondering if the guy on the side of the road was this Green character. He seemed to show up and then be gone so quickly, with no other clues to explain his appearance in the first place. Odd really, when you think about that. But what is truly surprising is the lack of immediate information on a murder that surely had to rock the citizens of the area back on their heels! He was a school teacher, yes. However, the fact that he was a Sheriff is what gets me. That's the kind of crime from which legends are formed. Those don't get lost in the history of a place, they make the history come alive. My concern would be as to why no one was more forthcoming on the information side of this back woods affair. That is the mystery I would be trying to uncover in this experience. I don't care how deep in the woods the place is, it was the school teacher/Sheriff that was murdered. That's a real big deal no matter where you live.
I envy you the unveiling of this twisted affair, it's a researchers dream.

Jav
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+3
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
You know Girlie, I never even thought of that!
Kalli_psy90, It was just so absurd for him to tell me to shush my pie hole, then he brings down the house. Really? *sigh* MEN!
I don't have much of an update really, although my husband is convinced that the archivist being named Brad (like my fil) means something. I'm trying to explain to him that sometimes things are just a coincidence. Lol
Isham Whaley was born in Feb. 1862 and was murdered on Oct 13th, 1908. He was married to Amanda Jane Lindsay, who died in 1919. They are both buried in Woodlawn Cemetary in Knoxville. That's about all I have just yet. Thanks for reading!
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
I wonder if the guy walking down the road, when you were heading to your cabin could have been Green. But the poor boy, you aught to look into that as well. Wonderfully story dear, do tell us more when you have some.
GIRLIE ❀
Kalli_psy90 (1 stories) (55 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
Wow that is an awesome story it had me really laughing! I will never get over the ninja kick I almost fell out of my chair laughing so hard πŸ˜†. I hope you get to the the bottom of your roomys and please update this is deffinatly going in my favs.
❀ Kalli
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
ok it was long,
Yes I read it all,
And have to say LOVED IT! 😁
GREAT POST AGAIN MizMiMi and must say the idea of meat tenderising will possibly stay with me for a while lol
Adding to faves with the rest and please keep the up dates coming 😊
Carl
gaurinijhawan (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
A very well written story indeed. That was quiet an experience.

Thanks and all the best with your research on that place.

Gauri
Katnip (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
Hey wow I love this story I would love to get to the bottom of it. I love a little mystery to solve if you get this please let me in the research you've done and/or if you have solved and cme to a conclusion. Thanks
bereal25 (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-17)
Very interesting story, update and written very with a lot of Color! I look forward to more updates as to what /who those voices belonged to.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-17)
*Update*
I received the following from speaking to the owners of the property: They said that they have owned the land for approximately 19 years. The land (2 plots) was originally owned by a family back in the mid to late 1800's named Whaley, and it was the far eastern side of the 2nd lot where the cabin was located.
A bit more info came from the archivist who says that a man by the name of Isham Whaley owned 2 plots in an area called Porters Mountain Summit. And, here is the best (or worst depending)... Isham Whaley was the Sheriff and a school teacher who was murdered by a former student named Roscoe (sp?) Green. He is searching a bit for a date, location and nature of the murder, which might give some details as to what was seeen and heard! I will update again when I have more info.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-17)
We actually had a good laugh about the kick on the way home. I couldn't wuite figure out WHY you would tell someone to hush, then ninja kick the door. Lol I have put in a call to the Sevier County Heritage Museum, the owners of where we stayed, and Brad the Archivist. I declined to mention the name, because I surely didn't want anyone coming down on me legal wise.
Also, I realized something that sounded a bit... Yucky for lack of a better word, that I wanted to clarify. Lol When I was describing the sound I heard, it was strictly the sound of the mallet cracking on the counter, then dragging like you're trying to flatten chicken for country fried chicken or something. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was someone hitting meat or anything. Yuck.
I will absolutely update this story as soon as I have any information to share. I'm as excited as anyone else, to hear some information as to what might have transpired on this property. Thanks for reading.:)
CuriousBeliever12 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-17)
Can't wait to find out what the big secret is to that place! An amazing story and fascinating to boot! Glad things finally settled down and you got a bit of peace 😁
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-17)
Gee MizMiMi, That was quite a narative! I really enjoyed every last word of it; you had me glued to my seat.
Please let us know if you have a follow-up, I am sure everyone is agog to hear of any new developments - history etc.
Thank you so much for sharing your interesting tale.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-04-17)
Fantastic story, definately going into my favourites! Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy reading your stories. 😊
SnudtoQueast (2 stories) (20 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
Wow. That is really an intriguing story 😲
Definitely seems like there is more than meets the eye to the cabin. Be sure to update if you find anything out! And I'm glad you guys got to enjoy your vacation without any pesky visitors afterwards πŸ˜‰
Cocoa (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
Wow. This seems to be quite fascinating! I would burst out laughing if someone told me to be quite then did a ninja kick along with the biggest HIYAAA ever! πŸ˜† Anyway, I would like to know if you have done the research yet as I'm quite intersted.

Thanks! Cocoa
PS I did read the WHOLE story.😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: