You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Figures In The Dining Room - My Imagination?

Real Ghost Stories

Figures In The Dining Room - My Imagination?

 

About five or six years ago, when I was six and seven, I lived in this country house. It wasn't old, it was actually made when I was just a baby. We owned that land, and our previous house had burned down... Under mysterious circumstances.

But that's not the point; my story is one of which I'm confused about. I'm not even sure if what I saw were spirits, or if I was just seeing things in the dark.

Anyway, our house was so obviously haunted. Even me, being six, could tell. It was always cold and you could hear voices in the basement. There was no question, whatsoever, especially when our yard would be filled with snakes... AKA, the serpent, which is a sign of Satan.

I was too scared to sleep in my own room, which would obviously mean that my younger sister was, since we shared a room. So, instead, we just slept on the pull out couch in the living room, which was just a short hallway away from my mom and dad.

Right next to the couch was the dining room. There wasn't a door for it, just two sliding doors that had glass. We'd usually keep it open, since we didn't see the point in closing them every night. I would sleep in the side of the couch which was nearest to the dining room, which was very spacious. My sister would sleep on the other side of me, next to our fish tank; it had a light, so that was basically our night light.

At night, I could never fall asleep. I'd just lie awake until my eyes would finally drift shut; and, usually, I would dream of a beautiful girl in a ballgown, maybe wedding gown, twirling around and around, even though I wasn't that obsessed with princesses. I was more the superheroes kind of gal. And, oddly enough, it was like she was trying to talk to me. She was always sad, even if she was dancing.

So, when I was trying to fall asleep at night, I would look out into the dining room. In the dining room were figures. They were bright colors, even if they weren't just white; they were bright blue, bright pink, bright yellow. Some of them were gray, but none black.

I'd watch them. They would walk around the room, and one was in a big dress, next to a gray man with a top hat. They were just figures and I couldn't tell anything specific, but it was definitely a top hat. There were a ton of figures crowding that room, and they wouldn't leave; just walk in the tiny room.

I didn't think about it much. I thought it was normal to see this at night, but, now that I live in a clearly non-haunted house, I know that it's not. But not just the dining room, either; there were tinier figures running up and down the stairs, into the bathroom down the other way of the hall and back upstairs. It was weird, but I didn't say anything.

Years later, my mother started talking with us about it. She wouldn't while I was young, even though I knew about it. So she started telling me about the bride. The bride, apparently, was beautiful. But not all the time. When you'd see her walking from a distance, she was pretty, with long brown hair, just like the princess in my dreams. But, when you'd see her up close, she would have a terrible, evil, skull face. It scared me, and I have yet to tell anyone about it.

Next was the children. My mom said that my grandma would always see those kids run the stairs while she stayed over; so would my siblings, and I don't think that they would lie about that.

Now, this is what really made me think about the figures in the dining room; my mom was telling me a story about the house not too long ago. We still talk about it quite a bit, all having gotten a little more faithful to the Lord and such. The story she told me was about the portal. All houses that are severely haunted like ours was would have a portal, where the ghosts come and go (ours was on an Indian burial ground, no joke, so it's no surprise).

At first, they thought the portal was in my older sister's room. Whenever she would shut her closet door, it would shake and rumble, as if something was trying to get out. There was a lot of activity in there, scary activity.

But then, after moving out, my mom finally figured out that it was in the dining room, without me telling her what I had seen. It was shocking when she told me this, and I'm pretty confused; so were those spirits that I saw in the dining room, or was it just my imagination?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, briannaruby, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Spookymulder (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
I believe you if you couldn't sleep in your own room that I a big sign that you where scared of something!
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-22)
Is this person even old enough to be posting on this site? Just asking...
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-21)
[at] zzgranny,
Do you know how difficult it has been for me to keep my mouth shut on this one?
Yep! Another Taylor made account!
Another Taylor made exit as well! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Jav
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-04-21)
And briannaruby/TAYLOR has given us the slip once again! πŸ˜†...This is getting old for me, you'd think she'd know by now πŸ˜†
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
briannaruby- I never said I didn't believe you, I was simply saying (apparently not very clear) that I believe what could have been a simple explanation for some things turned into a bigger deal, because you were convinced that everything happening was paranormal. Thus my "embellishments" comment.

It seems that there were A LOT of details left out, and people are going to come to a conclusion after they read the original story. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't read the story, then the comments for any additional info so I can put the rest of the story together.
If additional details were left out, then fine by all means include them so that I may come to a better understanding of what happened to you. I think it was a great story, just very incomplete as far as all the details.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
briannaruby: You thought the fish tank important enough to add, but not the Ouija board as an explanation for the "portal"?...

"pareidolia" is the word Rook was trying to come up with:
Http://En.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

And this site gives many, many examples:
Http://www.yoism.org/?q=node/129

"I'm not even sure if what I saw were spirits, or if I was just seeing things in the dark."...Well, there's your answer...Voila...The reflections/refractions of the fish tank would be obvious with your back TO the tank as you peered into the dining room...

As far as an "Indian burial ground", no, that was a completely intentional reference... There isn't a lot of land in North America that has gone untouched by Native Americans, so I guess we could ALL make that claim?...

I'm not going to throw the infamous "Blankie" just yet, as there could have been some paranormal activity... I don't know, I wasn't there... So please do submit the sequel... Please be sure to mention in the body of your account that there are pictures to be added, as we have to send it to Martin to post; and be patient because it may take a few days...
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
Ruby,

Please post away...I'd love to read your follow-up and view the pictures. Thanks again for returning and sharing with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
briannaruby (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
Rook,
This is becoming way more trouble than it's worth. I actually was planning on writing a follow-up story about the whole house and everything that happened, so you can read that when I post it, but I'm not going to explain everything in a comment. I'll post the pictures when I post the story.
❀ Ruby
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
Ruby,

Thank you for returning. I think you have addressed my 'HUH?!?' moments very well. I thank you for that as well. Let's move forward...

Now you have given us (as a group) much more information to base our opinions on, and the more information/facts that are presented the 'clearer' picture of events can be developed and the better, or maybe I should say, 'more detailed' our opinions can be.

While I do appreciate you trying to relate only 'your experiences' it seems they were only a small part of what was going on in that Home and on that property.

Let's start with the snakes... I still feel these had no bearing on the 'possible haunting'. They were just 'there'. Example... My Uncle owned 33 acres near Lulling Texas... One of his horses was killed by a rattlesnake... So began the 'great rattlesnake hunt'...for almost 3 years my Uncle and some of his friends would go out almost nightly and kill 5-10 rattlesnakes. After 3 years of this he hired an exterminator... This person 'tracked' down the rattlesnake den... And when they exterminated this den they pulled out 45 rattlesnakes of varying sizes... The longest being almost 7 feet long. My point in telling you this is that when snakes find a 'good place' to live they do so very well.

I did read where an older house on that land burned down under 'mysterious circumstances'...And now you say there are pictures that show a 'young girl' in the fire as the house burns... Was any research done on the Properties History? Did a young girl die in a fire on the property? Can you scan these pictures in and post them, I'd love to see them.

You have also just told us...

"As for the portals, my sisters played around with a Ouija board. "

This 'tool' can indeed 'open doors' that if not closed properly can lead to spirits crossing over. So I thank you for mentioning this fact now (BUT... I'll reserve my opinion on this 'bit of information' until we have more 'feedback' from the O/P)...

You now ask this...

"And, anyways, don't spirits get angry when you construct on their land? I'm not embellishing! Now, I think I've made my point."

If every spirit/entity were to get angry when we constructed on 'their' land then I think we would have much smaller cities and TONS more proof of the 'Spirit World'.

As far as the shadows 'taking on human shapes' such as top hats and wedding dresses... When we see 'amorphous shapes'...out of the corner of our eye... Blurry images... Odd shadows... Our brain tries to 'make' them into something we can 'understand'...There is a scientific term for this but it escapes me at the moment (HELP?!?).

Your return says you really feel there was some 'unexplained' things happening in that home. The more details you provide the 'clearer' the 'picture' of what it may have been begins to develop. Please keep sharing information with us... If you are able to please post those pictures of the 'girl in the fire' and if you think of anything else please share it with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
briannaruby (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
tnspooky,
Thanks for being pretty much the only one to really believe me. 😊 And, you're right; I would never be this disbelieving on other's stories. So what if there's holes? You can't be perfect.
❀ Ruby
tnspooky (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
Briannaruby,
No need in trying to convince them of what you say. There minds are allready made up. I believe you though. After all that's what this site is for, for people to post their stories. Shame you have to read comments of disbelief and "nice try though".
briannaruby (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
Rook:

First of all, there are a BUNCH of things that I experienced in this house. From the hundreds of snakes under the sheds and under rocks and getting cut up under our lawn mower, all the way to the fact that we found many, many arrowheads in our yard. Maybe burial ground wasn't correct, but whatever, we found the history of our house and found that Indians and such would cross over that land to get to places. The land was old and so was the house prior to that. Did you not read where I said that our previous house ON THAT SAME LAND was burnt down? I didn't think this was important to MY story, but we have pictures of orbs and a little girl standing in the house while it's burning down, because some of our neighbors took pictures for us. The house that burnt down was there for a long time, and one was even demolished before that. I wasn't embellishing my story, because, frankly, I don't lie.

As for the portals, my sisters played around with a Ouija board. It was stupid, but I didn't feel that it was relevant with my story. I was only writing what *I* had experienced. The snakes, Indian heads, figures and children. Not to mention foul odors and whispering from the basement.

And, anyways, don't spirits get angry when you construct on their land? I'm not embellishing! Now, I think I've made my point.

Zzsgranny:

I was afraid to sleep in my room because my parents' room was downstairs and our room was upstairs. Like I said, I obviously knew the house was haunted and I was scared of it. So I wanted to be close to my mom. Simple enough, for a six year old.

I agree with you about the lights. It's a logical explanation, and, honestly, I've thought of it a lot of times. That's why I felt it was important to add the fish tank into the story. But, even when it was off, when my mom would lay down by us when we were really scared, she felt we didn't need the fish tank on. So I would still look out there, and *viola* (as you said): they were still there. Oh, and, after watching the figures for a while, wouldn't they go away? Well, they never did. I'd only look at the fish tank once during the night, then I would turn my back and stare into the dining room. And why would they take the shape of humans, anyways? Wouldn't the lights have to be shaped in a ballgown way, or with a top hat?

Again with the 'embellishments'. -sigh-

I didn't embellish this, at all, like I said. Since we were religious, we associated everything with God. Thus came the whole serpent thing, and, like I said to Rook, our yard had hundreds of 'em. We had to have exterminators come out many times but they just kept coming back... And, again, I admit that I might not have been completely correct about the 'Indian burial ground' part. But, really, what else do I call it? It's land that some Indians might have died on. WHATEVER.

Miracles51031:

As for you: I said 'spacious' because it was SPACIOUS. When you filled it with a those figures, it LOOKED tiny. See? I said:

"There were a ton of figures crowding that room, and they wouldn't leave; just walk in the tiny room."

My writing skills may be poor, but I think I make sense. Maybe I should clear it up - just for you?

MizMiMi02:

Nope. No embellishments. Read above.

I hope I've made my point,
❀ Ruby
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
tnspooky,

Not to be rude, but it sounds as if someone didn't want the authorities to find the Still... Much less the 'final' location of the 'rivals moonshine makers'. πŸ˜‰

Innocent people who find skeletons call the Police... Even back in the 60's...Distance didn't matter... A dead body needs investigating... If you had a missing loved one and you found out some locals had dug them up and then reburied them without telling the Police... Who would you suspect?

You go on to say...

"After the indians were marched out of Tennessee, I'm sure most never returned. So it would be no surprise to me that the locations were forgotten or not passed down properly."

You have the nerve to imply that a group of people treated so poorly simply either 'forgot' where their burial grounds were or didn't bother to 'pass the location on' properly?

I...I... I don't know what to say... Actually I do but not here because the editors would have a field day with my choice of words. Sense have nothing nice to say I'm not going to say anything more at this time.

Rook
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
zzsgranny, let's not forget the loosy goosy-headband matching-sweater set-daddys girls.;)
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
I agree with zzsgranny, that the colors were probably from the fish tank. To quote properly:

"You mentioned a lighted fish tank in the proximity... In my opinion, you were seeing the reflections/refractions from the motion of the fish and the filter of the tank... Couple that with the imagination of a 6 year old and voila: ghostly figures emerge..."

This is a very plausible explanation, and one that makes the most sense. As far as the portal and burial ground, I believe that those were simple embellishments to make for what the op thought was a great story.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
tnspooky makes a great point... We all know there was no such thing as authorities in the country side WAY back in the '60's...They were all in the cities and on college campuses fightin' them there lazy-good-fur-nuttin-long-haired-freaky-hippy-types! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
Rook and granny - I think one of my favorite parts of this "story," other than the points the two of you brought out, was the "spacious" yet "tiny" dining room πŸ˜‰
tnspooky (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
Rook,
Of course the authorities were never notified. This was back in the 60's. Also back in the hills of Tennessee. Very far out in the country, (and still 40 minute drive from the nearest town). Lots of burials around here i'm sure no one has any idea about. After the indians were marched out of Tennessee, I'm sure most never returned. So it would be no surprise to me that the locations were forgotten or not passed down properly.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
briannaruby: Why were you afraid to sleep in your room?...

You mentioned a lighted fish tank in the proximity... In my opinion, you were seeing the reflections/refractions from the motion of the fish and the filter of the tank... Couple that with the imagination of a 6 year old and voila: ghostly figures emerge...

I think we could have done without the added embelishments of demonic snakes, portals and Indian burial grounds though...
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
tnspooky,

I do not feel I was being to harsh at all. I was simply drawing attention to certain points that the O/P had made... Asked about them and tried to explain why I had a question about them.

Your absolutely correct, many people do associate snakes/serpents with the Devil... But to make the 'leap' that snakes in the front yard of your house in the country are 'of the Devil' and were somehow connected to the 'experiences' you had while in that home caused me to ask about that point...

As far as arrow heads and other small artifacts being dug up on land that was once occupied by Native Americans... I again say you are absolutely correct, this stuff happens all the time. What is more rare is to dig up... How did you say it... Let me quote you...

"my dad was a kid he and his brothers were playing in the woods behind their house, and dug up an indian skeleton."

I bet they got their 'butts beat' and I'm not surprised they were told to rebury it... But were the authorities notified? Did anyone come out to study the burial site? Was it determined to be an actual Native American skeleton... Or was it the body of a murder victim... Or was it not reported at all? All I was trying to point out/ask was if their property did indeed have a 'burial ground' on it then they would have been told where to build or if they discovered bodies then who did they tell... Or did they not tell anybody?

As far as this statement of yours goes...

"To think indians are buried places nobody knows about is not very farfetched at all."

I have to disagree with that... Even before Europeans arrived the Native Tribes knew where there Sacred Sites/Burial Grounds were and why they were there... After the Europeans arrived... And the Natives Land became... Lets call it, more constricted... It was even easier to know where the 'bodies' were buried.

So I stand beside everything I questioned and or wrote concerning this STORY.

Respectfully,

Rook
tnspooky (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
Thanks for trying? Kinda harsh ain't it? I know lots of people that still associate snakes with the devil. They will even go out of their way to kill a snake. The author does not state where she lives (I assume iowa). A map of ley lines will show that there are some in iowa. Maybe she lives on or near some. And the indian burial ground is not very far fetched. Here in tennessee when my dad was a kid he and his brothers were playing in the woods behind their house, and dug up an indian skeleton. They thought it would be funny to scare grandma by laying it on the porch. They got their butts beat and were made to rebury it. Every year when we plow our farmland, we plow up lots of arrowheads. Some made there wintercamp there beside the river. To think indians are buried places nobody knows about is not very farfetched at all.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
This is an extremely interesting story... Very well told with some really good details... Then there are things that make me go HUH?!?

First HUH?!? Statement...

"Anyway, our house was so obviously haunted. Even me, being six, could tell. It was always cold and you could hear voices in the basement. There was no question, whatsoever, especially when our yard would be filled with snakes... AKA, the serpent, which is a sign of Satan."

Snakes in the yard could be a sign that you live in the country you started out by saying...

"I lived in this country house. It wasn't old, it was actually made when I was just a baby. We owned that land..."

So your family owning property in the country and there being snakes in the yard is not too surprising... To 'read' the statement that those 'country snakes' were signs of the Devil 'bothers me' and causes me to wonder about this 'Story'...

But wait there's more...

Second HUH?!? Statement...

" We still talk about it quite a bit, all having gotten a little more faithful to the Lord and such. The story she told me was about the portal. All houses that are severely haunted like ours was would have a portal..."

While Portals can assists spirits when they are crossing over and there can be increased activity around an 'open one' it takes a person or persons to 'open it'. Or due to natural 'lay lines' a portal is caused because of the high levels of the Earths Natural Electromagnetic Field where these lines intersect. So is there a way to research this? If your home was not built at a natural meeting of 'lay lines' then who opened the 'portal'? (As the home was 'new construction it had to be a Family Member...)

Third (and final) HUH?!? Statement...

" (ours was on an Indian burial ground, no joke, so it's no surprise) "

How in the world did your Family get the permits to build this house on an Indian Burial Ground? I do not see this happening with out much protest for the Local Tribal Elders, much less Historical Societies...ect...ect...ect.

So, I thank you for this STORY... But if you are 13/14 years old (as implied by the math at the beginning of your tale) now and this 'home' was built within your lifetime I'm reasonably sure there would have been a HUGE outcry concerning building on Native American Sacred Ground. Thanks for trying...

Respectfully,

Rook
Paranormal_Seer (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
I do believe that those were spirits. 😲 I used to see similar things when I was 6 as well. However, instead of seeing shadows, I saw actual people. There's no doubt they were spirits 😊 Considering that you haven't mentioned them trying to scare or attack you, they might've just been having a good time. As for the scary activity in your older sister's old room... If it was moving objects, growls, hisses, scratches... I'd suggest avoiding that room if you visit that house again.
rabidjess (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
could they have been shadow people? Did you ever look into the history of the home or maybe previous residents/owners?
Blackmoonmage20 (1 stories) (58 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
When read about the thing in the dining room, at first, i thought it was just your imagination, But when I further read it, I think it's now real. I think you should move to a new house if you and your family are scared... Take care!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: