You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Mom, Are You Seeing Things?

Real Ghost Stories

Mom, Are You Seeing Things?

 

My mother passed away almost 4 years ago (her anniversary is coming up, August 14th) and in the weeks before she died she was very medicated and she said and did a lot of things that could easily have been a result of the drugs she was taking to reduce the pain she was in. I am going to mention a couple of strange things that happened during this time, as they are very special.

My mother suffered a lot of anger, as she was taken from us quickly, and did not get a lot of time to experience the stages in which she needed to finally accept that it was her time to go. I had a scheduled trip to visit my boyfriend at the time in Ontario, I desperately wanted to see him as my heart was breaking, but I definitely did NOT want to leave my mother. She made me go, she told me I deserved it. As much as I didn't want to, I went reluctantly and did somewhat enjoy myself although I suffered many panic attacks.

I spoke with her every night, and I had to call them - I told all of my friends not to call my cellular phone as it's for emergencies only. My parents weren't even to call my cellular to chat, the only time that phone was supposed to ring was if I needed to get onto an airplane immediately to come home to be with my mother. She did quite well, but when I got back, she was painfully thin, and her skin was turning yellow. But she was happy - and it was different. She did not have a lot of strength, and things started to steadily go downhill for her. The only sound I lived by was the sound of her respirator, if I could not hear it, I could not sleep - so I slept on the upstairs landing living room couch. It was more of a decorative couch, and it was the most uncomfortable spot in the house, but I didn't care.

As her death approached, the more the drugs were injected into her as she was suffering a serious amount of pain from the Cancer. I was laying with her one afternoon in her room and she would just blissfully stare at the television and watch the pictures move back and forth with a tiny smile on her face and wait for her next Iced Cappuccino break (my father would bring her one at least 3 times a day, she always looked forward to it, she became very much like a little girl and she couldn't speak much, all she could do was whisper). All of a sudden I could feel something was wrong, I lifted my head from underneath her hand and looked at her. She wasn't looking at the television, she was staring directly into the corner of the bedroom. She gasped a tiny gasp and whispered "Who's that?" - she kept staring at the figure she was seeing. I started to ask her questions.

Me: "Mom, are you okay?" She nodded her head, still staring.

Me: "Mom, are you seeing things?" She nodded her head, quickly glanced at me, and then back to the corner. She whispered that it was a person.

Me: "Do you know them?" She shook her head a little bit and then cocked it to one side, and said "I think so..."

I held her hand and told her it was okay, I told her it was probably someone she knew just coming to visit - to let her know that everything was going to be okay. She smiled, and kept staring at the figure with a little smile on her lips. About twenty minutes later, she sighed and resumed looking at the television.

I told my Dad about this experience, and he said it was probably the drugs, but he seemed quite perturbed by it. I asked him what was up, and he just said he's got things on his mind. I left him to it. Didn't think much of it until after the funeral.

The morning my mother died, I was laying at the foot of the bed. My parents bed is massive, my father would sleep on the right hand side and my mother on the left. I was sprawled out on the bottom and half on the bench thing they had set up at the end of the bed for the stupid dog. My father was laying next to her on top of the covers, still fully clothed, we had all fallen asleep listening to the rain the night before.

It was about 6:05 when I looked at the clock if I remember correctly, I had felt my mother's hand on the top of my head. My mother had a very distinct way of touching me, she was the only one who knew how to wake me up immediately (I'm serious, the actual house alarm wouldn't even wake me up, but there's a certain way she would touch me that would wake me up immediately) and I was shocked as this would have meant she was standing up next to me or something. I looked, and she wasn't on front of me, I looked behind me and she was still laying there on her side of the bed, but she was looking directly at me. There was NO possible way she could have gotten up and touched my head, but I knew somehow she did or someone did.

I looked at her with tears in my eyes, and I asked "Mom, is it time?"

She nodded her head slowly, and I woke my father up, I ran to get the home care nurse and I grabbed my brother and was promptly right back by her side. I laid beside her and as she started to let go and her lungs filled with fluid, she gripped on to me - I grabbed her hair comb and started to brush her hair (her most favourite thing in the world was the sensation of someone else combing her hair).

My mother died in my arms that morning, and the moment she let go, I felt this overwhelming sensation come over me - as if she had passed through me. It was intense, and I will never forget it. Minutes after she passed, I desperately needed a cigarette as my adrenaline was pumping and I couldn't bare to be in the room any longer as she was no longer there. Her body was, but she wasn't. My father and I stood out on the deck and we'll never forget the sky - it was pink, and swirling. It was insane. I thought I was tripping on some sort of drug, but the fact that my father (and the neighbors reportedly afterwards told us as well) saw it. It was beautiful. A few hours later, the entire East Coast's power went out (which I just find coincidental and funny because she told me she was going to "go out with a bang" ha ha - she was awesome).

Many of my friends could tell you that from that day on for about 3 weeks, I was different, I wasn't myself. I remained the rock of the family - and even some family members will tell you that she was inside of me the morning she died as I said a lot of things that were out of character and don't really remember saying. One thing I do remember saying that utterly shocked me after it came out of my mouth was "Mo, I don't want them to see my body" - Mo is my father, and "them" would have been her sisters. I cried and ran downstairs to regain my composure. I have no idea where it came from, but it happened.

The day of the funeral was sad, but I rehashed the story of my mother seeing someone in front of my Aunt and my father. Turned out that THAT very day, very close to the same time my mother saw this figure, her Uncle (my Great Uncle) passed away in his sleep. And I think I was right when I said it was someone stopping by to let her know that she's going to be just fine. :)

Other hauntings by Lexiluca

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lexiluca, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MissAngelaA (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-21)
What a touching story. I'm sure it was hard to deal with but it was a blessing to have had the chance to be with her until the very end. As for the weeks after when you were not quite yourself, its obvious your mother had some unfinished business!
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Thank you all for the comments. I have recently moved back into the house with my father who is now just learning to move on, certain things are happening - I was outside the other day having a cigarette. I say day, but I really mean night. We live on a golf course so it was almost completely dark with the exception of a few street lights outlining the the course. I saw a firefly for the first time in my life, after sighing and asking my mother a question. It's her garden, and I always go out there at night when feeling poorly about something just to have my say of whatever I need to get off my chest, and it appeared further out on the golf course. It flickered it's way all the way over to me on the patio, and hovered with me for a few moments. I couldn't stop smiling. I said, "thanks, Mum" and went inside.
FlyingFancy (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-26)
This is really beautiful! Your great uncle just must have wanted to stop by to make sure your mother was okay. I bet they're both watching over you right now, with love and care. ❤ ❤
NightMaiden (6 stories) (21 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-07)
I am sorry for your loss. I agree with Shane; not all paranormal things want to cause harm. Some are just simply 'the spirit of the place', or just a person trying to tell you goodbye.

Thank you for sharing. 😊
sammie (28 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-28)
that story was verry touching! It brought tears to my eyes. I am verry thank full to still have my mom with me... I am verry sorry about your mom.
CenterCore (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-18)
Thank you so much for this story. That was powerful. I'm so sorry about your mother, and I hope everything's going well for you. You have my condolences.
- Core
yorkster1234 (1 stories) (23 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-18)
Aaw I feel sorry for you... It reminds me of my cousins Troy and Chad who died in ad deisel truck accident one was flat and the other one got chopped in pieces
it also reminds me of my aunt, She had cancer and died I have many people who died in my family it is sad
i hope you feel good my friends mom died last year, she had to celebrate christmas with out her :( Well I hope everything is working out for you :)
tkkchang (4 stories) (21 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-18)
Your story touched my heart. I was in tears. Thank you for sharing your story... 😭
skeptical81 (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-05)
your story was so well written! I really enjoyed it. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. It was truely beautiful... ❤
TabathaSue83 (1 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
😭 I cried so much reading your story almost the same thing happened to me except I didn't get the chance to be by her side (I wish I was, all I wanted to do was say sorry and that I love her, because I too was really mean and thought I knew everything as teens do and I just wanted to grow up so fast and didn't realize she was slowy passing away over time. So I just wanted to say your story was really heart touching and it made me burst out and cry for like a half hour. R.I.P. TO YOUR MOTHER AND MINES, TOO 😭
Kirby (5 stories) (57 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-18)
😨 That was touching. It really was. Made me cry. I thought about my close cousin, who had nearly died from cancer.
Bie (14 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-17)
Thank you Lexiluca for sharing this heart touching story with us. I was about to cry while reading this story. I'm also sorry to hear about your mother. 😢 😭
Hope your mother's soul rest's in peace.

Bie
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-16)
That was a very touching story. Thank you for sharing it with us. Just goes to show that not all ghost are scary evil things.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-15)
how wounderful! Thank you for sharing!^^Let's hope your mom will tell you when it's your time to go. And then your child will have you inside her/him right after you pass away. That would be the best thing for me.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-14)
This is so personal, thank you for telling this touching story to us and sharing yourself.I'm so glad that you had these experiences, almost to set your heart at ease.
melissagrove2000 (4 stories) (43 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-14)
Thanks Lexiluca for your very personal story. I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I know what its like to watch somebody in their last moments, as I watched my grandfather take his last breath. As he did, I remember two tears falling from his eyes and then he was gone. I lived in the north at the time and I remember how it was snowing for a whole week before he passed, as he was in the hospital for seven days. I remember after he died and we were driving home the sun came out for the first time in a week. And even at his funeral I remember it snowed the night before into the morning and I remember thinking, god, I hope this doesn't keep people from coming as my grandfather was loved by a lot of people. But the snow had stopped during the funeral and up until the end when it was time to lay him to rest. After that the snow then fell again and continued on. I just thought I'd share that with you. He also died of cancer, I'm just glad it was quick. We found out the day they put him in the hospital, and he was gone a week later. Blessings in your life and I hope your mom continues to show you little signs that she is at peace and still with you. Take care, you and your family.
Annie (202 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-13)
Lexiluca, Thank you for sharing this story with us all. It brought tears to my eyes. I just lost my very beloved mother in April. The night she died, she was in the hospital. She seemed to be doing better, or so I had hoped. She sent all of ushome to get some rest. I kissed her goodnight, we told each other "I love you" and she told me she'd see me in the morning. She was gone in a little more than an hour. I went back to the hospital after, held her, cried, and told her how much I loved her. When I got home, and finally made it to bed, as I was falling asleep, just on the cusp, I felt a big wet kiss placed upon my forehead. I knew it was her. I've also had a few other instances where I've felt her since. Thanks again for sharing.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-13)
The US did blame Canada for that power outage, I demand a retraction as it's clearly your mother! 😉 Thanks Lexiluca for your very touching and personal story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: