You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Spirit In The Hallway And Other Events

Real Ghost Stories

The Spirit In The Hallway And Other Events

 

(I'm 17 right now.) In Southeast Georgia, when I was 7, I saw a spirit in the hallway of my maternal grandparent's house.

I was spending the night, as I did often when I was young, it was night-time, and I'd been told to go brush my teeth. Well, I went to the hallway bathroom to brush my teeth like I was told. I didn't close the door, but it was sort of half-way between being closed and open. I remember being finished brushing my teeth, inspecting my newly cleaned teeth in the mirror, and then, as if I knew what was coming, I turned my head slightly to my left. There, passing by the door was a white gown. It was giving off a glow, not a really bright glow, though. I didn't see a head, because I only caught the figure as it was disappearing. I waited in the bathroom, just staring at the hallway and wondering whether that figure would pass back by.

It didn't. When I went out into the hallway, I looked up and down it but there was nothing. I made my way back to the living, where my grandparents - both already dressed for bed - were rocking in their recliners and watching TV. I asked my grandma, who was wearing a nightgown herself, if she had been the one who walked down the hallway. She said that she'd been sitting in the recliner since I'd left. So I told my grandparents what I saw and neither of them were shocked or expressed disbelief. In fact, my grandma said, "You must've seen your Granny Howard", like it was the most normal thing in the world to see glowing figures walking around a house. My Granny Howard she supposed I saw was her mother, who lived with them in her last years. The bedroom she stayed in was actually at the end of the hallway. Many strange things have happened in that house, actually.

When my grandpa had lung cancer the first time, he had a dream in his sleep (although it might not have been a dream) that his mother appeared before him and told him that she'd come to take him with her. He told her that he wasn't ready to go yet, and then she left.

My cousin, who now lives there, took a picture of herself in what is now her bedroom, but used to be my grandparents. In the picture, behind her, there is greenish looking smoke. Two heads that look like my grandparents can be seen in the smoke.

My brother, who spent a day alone in the house when he refused to go to school once, had been sitting in the living room when a pot in the kitchen that had been set far back on the counter fell on the floor. He stayed outside after that until my Aunt got home.

My aunt and cousins have a dog that will bark and bark at a spot in the kitchen where my grandfather always sat at the dining table that is no longer there. The dog will not go to the spot, but just bark at it. It was well known in the family that my grandparents weren't too taken with animals, especially if they were inside pets.

There will be times that my cousins will have the refrigerator door wide open and it will close on its own. I remember my grandpa always telling us to stop standing in front of it and shut the refrigerator door. My aunt and cousins were once watching TV when it suddenly turned off on its own. They were able to immediately turn it back on and nothing else had gone off when the TV did.

A recent experience was when my mother had a hysterectomy. She was lying in the hospital bed and I was sitting in a chair beside her when she suddenly pointed to a bird that landed on the building next to us. That bird looked directly at us, like it was watching us. It stayed for a long time before it flew away. My mom thought it might have been her mother. I don't know if spirits can take the form of birds or anything like that, but it was very odd to see a bird just stay in one spot for that long. My dad thought my mom was just being silly. He doesn't believe in seeing spirits or anything of the sort.

Today, my younger brother came running into the living room of our home to tell me he saw a figure in a black suit in the hallway. I don't know if this is an evil entity or what, so it sort of freaked me out.

There are also times where I've been afraid of sleeping in my room, because I get such a bad feeling from it. It feels like there's something in there every time I enter it. (There's no way my house could be haunted. I've lived in it since I was a year old and it was brand new at the time. And I've never had these feelings up until last year.) I've sometimes experienced sleep paralysis. My dad has this sometimes too. I know that people have differing opinions on what it is. I'm not so sure I want my spirit to be wandering as I sleep if that is what really happens to cause this. So, about the feeling, sometimes I'm so afraid of sleeping in my room that I'll sleep on the couch. But even then, I'm afraid of falling asleep at times. (I thing tonight might be another one of those nights.)

With all this, I'm starting to wonder... Is there something about my family and spirits? Is it just our dead family members who come back to visit from time to time? Or are these mean spirits who mean harm? Should we be worried?

Other hauntings by PeppermintCandy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PeppermintCandy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

PeppermintCandy (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-23)
little_love_lolo Thank you. I said a prayer and it did work. I slept through the night with no problems, other than my younger brother sticking next to me. He's afraid of the dark and sleeping alone. I was that way too, when I was younger.
Rookdygin Thank you, I will have to try this, although I think my dad will probably think I'm crazy.
Psychic, no, he didn't. He did, however, often wear his work clothing: dark blue button-up shirt and dark blue pants. He was buried in a suit, though I expect all men are, usually. Are they able to leave the house they lived in and follow me to mine?
Catface My grandma never talked about coming back, but she did tell me once that when we die we will not recognize each other, will not think of each other as grandmother and granddaughter, husband and wife. That scared me. Thank you for your comment.
DrGhost I believe you. It just makes me wonder how people can come back as animals, but at the same time you are able to see their spirit in other places.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-23)
PeppermintCandy,

Well met, thank you for sharing. Little_love_lolo has summed things up very nicely and because they mentioned it I'm going to post the method they were talking about...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Respectfully,

Rook
Psychic (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-22)
Be glad they returned and didn't move on they loved their family and wanted to stay be happy say hi next time don't be afraid and as for the figure in a suit did you grandfather often wear one or owned many?
DrGhost (15 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-21)
It probably is possible that the bird was your mom's mother. A shaman told my dad once not to hit a fly (it was big). Because it was my uncle that died in Vietnam. It (or my uncle the fly) was landing on the fruits at our table. It was pretty strange but my dad never hit it. It doesn't matter if you believe me or not.
Catface (7 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
My nana (or grandma, whichever you prefer) used to always claim that when she died she would come back as a white Dove. My mother told me that she saw my nana once, but that's another story, and I was mainly just upset that she hadn't came back as the dove she had wanted to be.

I think it is pretty normal for family members to see their deceased loved ones as long as they have an open mind to these sorts of things. I have had no experience with sleep paralysis, but I hope it gets better for you, and if it really is a spirit then you should try cleansing your house like previously suggested.

Blessed Be. ❤
little_love_lolo (4 stories) (33 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
Hi, Peppermint! Welcome to YSG! I think that your story mostly answered your own question: your deceased family members seem to have stayed within that house. Would I say that your family has a special connection to their ancestors' spirits? Yes, and I think that's true of every family.

As far as the fear of sleeping, I actually had the exact same thing when I was your age. Are you overworked, or stressed out in any way? Is there any 'less than good' history to the house? Either of these might be explanations for the feeling in your room. Stress can make your brain sort of short-circuit and mess with your perception. And then, of course, there's the 'bad spirit' theory. I'm not a religion peddler at all, but I personally found that when I was too terrified to sleep in my room (and my parents wouldn't let me sleep on the hallway floor for a fifth night in a row), prayers helped. It didn't make the feeling go away, but it formed a sort of bubble around me so that I at least felt safe enough to sleep.

Or, if you're not into that sort of thing, you could try a cleansing or a smudging. Rookdgyn has a great cleansing ritual that I used on my apartment, and it did a really good job.

Good luck, and thanks for sharing! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: