You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Tragedy of the Black Bridge in Nashua

Real Ghost Stories

Tragedy of the Black Bridge in Nashua

 

In the early 1950's in the city of Nashua, New Hampshire, there was an incident at the black bridge which was located on a stretch of railroad tracks not far from the Hudson bridge, which is the next town over. My great grandmother, who lived directly across from the tracks, was present when a train derailed and crashed into a nearby building. The bridge was partially torn to pieces and many people died and almost all who lived were scarred for life.

My great grandmother told my father, when he was very young, that some of the passengers crossed the field to her house. Being a kindly women she did not turn them away and helped them. One man, according to great granny, had the skin of his back missing. But she said that he was in such tremendous shock that he did not seem to be aware of it.

Sadly, many children perished in the wreck. Many years later, me and my family lived on the street that runs down a long hill and comes to a stop at the black bridge. Me and my friends named it that because it was as black as pitch.

To this day, the laughter of young children can be heard, as though they are playing under the bridge but nobody is ever seen. Apparitions and the ghosts of suicides haunt the area as well. Go to the bottom of Lock Street and you will find out for yourself.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, HauntedHollow, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JackEtch (3 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
If any of you are still reading, picture seems to be taken at an area between Bridge St. And Jons_Manville at a back area from Belknap St. Not at an area directly before, Black Bridge and along a nort section of Jons-Manville. For a long time it was a Railroad passenger waiting building spot. It closed in 1960's decade, rotted and got torn down, in maybe 1970. It was a spot for local drunks and transcients for periods of time to squat in. Same as Black Bridge.F.Y.I.3Finger Willy was a woods dweller not a regular of Railroad yards and Bridges.Willy's area was Crotced Mountain. Ask Railyard drunks 😊
JackEtch (3 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-16)
Is anyone thinking about the area (neighborhood) south of the Black bridge? Bridge street from the 20's to the '60's had a small almost continuous street gang that called themselves the bridge street boys since the 40's In the 60's and most likely long before black bridge, the golf course (now,condo's) fields and river paths were their regular hang-out when not hanging on bridge street or Irene's (a now long gone Bar). And there is now the end of Nashua's sewer system end, right there. LOL Because a person lives in an area does not mean a person knows everything that goes on. Even right next door. The gangmembers often join at young age 10-12-14. It would not be unusual for even a non-gangmember,to find little nooks and crannies, not noticeable without search, to hide in and pull pranks on people. My childhood friends use to run across the upper beams of the bridge you are talking about for fun. And the Black bridge is not the Foot bridge further into town. And many of the kids in the Amory St area do not know many in the Locke St area. Being in unfamiliar areas and hypervigilant at the time can cause such problems with anticipation. 😉 😉 Remember to confirm stuff of ghost stories a person has to search outside of the frame academics and geographic image suggests. Silly but true. Anyone ever heard of 3 Fingered Willy?
MannPower (17 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-21)
I did some research, and I found record of a train crashing in Nashua on November 12, 1954. Its designation was "BM E7A #3820 & 3818" - BM being part of the Boston & Maine line.

A photo I found that accompanied the record showed the crashed engine, which is neither in a building, nor on a bridge. The locomotive fell on its side, across what looks like another set of rails: http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/wrk_bm3820.jpg

I did more searching, using the train's roster designation. I found references to it being wrecked and scrapped, but nothing about deaths or building collisions.

I can't say decisively, but it sounds like the story you heard was a re-telling of this crash after many years, in a more creative light. 🤔
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-20)
Pardon me HauntedHollow,

Dear Janice,

Thank you so much for your nice compliment. I truly appreciate you taking your time to post that too. I also like to read your nice comments as well, my fellow senior ghost poster. 😊 With much appreciation and thanks, Abby
HauntedHollow (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-19)
Yes Janice, it would make a pretty good horror film.
So long as the details were kept intact.
Unlike Amityville, which I have heard was really over exaggerated for hollywood.
But then again it might not be a good idea to exploit the suffering of those who have passed on.
Depends how you look at things I guess.
Thanks for the comments!
😊
Janice (7 stories) (248 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-18)
Hey Hauntedhollow, this could make a great, true movie. Well, it must be creepy to hear children laughing and to see apparations around the area, scary. That must have been horrible for your great- grandma to have experienced such an event, I would NEVER forget something like this. Abby does have a huge point in all of this. WEll, good luck and take care.
p.s. Abby always posts such great comments
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-16)
Dear Hauntedhollow,

Thanks for your response. That is okay, I did a bit of net research and did not find anything, but will contact some direct and indirect family and friends who live out that way and are into railroad history, genealogy and also have connection to churches. That and the fact that I like to travel about New England in the fall and go on up to Canada.--Abby
HauntedHollow (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-16)
Also, to Abby.
I understand what you are saying and maybe the word "scarred" was a little much but I just assumed that a lot of the people who survived would have been scarred from such an incident.
If not physically then perhaps mentally.
As far as more detailed info goes I will see what I can dig up.
My father knows more about this thing than I do and I tried to write the story as accurate as I could.
Thank you for the thoughtful comments however!
😁
HauntedHollow (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-16)
Well, those are very good questions.
I don't understand why they are laughing myself.
Maybe because they are free from suffering after they passed on but are bound to that one area.
I wish I knew why the ghosts do what they do, perhaps more investigation is needed.
I live way up in Maine now so its impossible for me at this point.
On a side note, me and my cousins went to the bridge late at night on purpose one time.
We wanted to see a ghost so we went at a time when their would be the least chance of meeting up with any real people.
We were actually almost ready to leave because we did no experience anything and then a young boy, possibly nine years old, comes walking over the bridge.
The only thing that made it strange was the fact that, here was a nine year old boy walking alone at night over a pitch black dark bridge (well dark except the moonlight).
Not to mention there are three strangers standing around.
If that was me I would have went the other way as I am sure we must have seemed like shady characters hanging out ata a birdge late at night.
But he just walked right past us like we were not even there.
Like I said earlier, it was dark so I don't have a very accurate description of the boy but he seemed to be from modern times and not from the time when the train wreck occured.
That was not exactly scary, just strange.
It is also very dangerous to walk on that bridge at night because there are many missing boards and not until a few years later did someone replace the old boards.
Thank you to everyone who has shown interest in my story!
😁
Abby (710 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-07-16)
Dear HauntedHollow,

This is an interesting piece of history, and I am sure it is for you also, since it involves your family and handing down this story.

Do you know where one might find more facts on this incident and any specific dates, addresses, names and so forth?

I find it interesting that you would state that all who lived were scarred for life. I find the word scarred an interesting word to use, but I am sure the tragic incident did leave a lasting impression or imprint on those people. Without asking them, it is hard to say if they would say they were scarred for life. Perhaps, we as humans are one big scar which we obtained through life experiences? I look at my scars as lessons learned and reminders of gratitude for all that I do have.

In my opinion, it is possible that the children are laughing as children do, because as children who are also ghosts or dead human beings who are earthbound, they do not realize that they are dead. Many of the children probably had no conception of death or what is to follow after death. Thus, they carry on their ghostly, but trapped lives, as they would if they were living children, playing, having fun and laughing. --Abby
slghosts (13 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-16)
that is soo cool. It would be weird hearing children laughing and playing under the bridge, then you look down there and there is no one there!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-16)
Niki does have a valid point. It would make one wonder why children would be laughing after such a tragic event. Maybe you should do a little investigation and see if you can find a plausable cause for the sounds you hear. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
nikilovesyou (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-16)
that story is really cool that you can hear the children laughing. But what comfuses me is why would they be laughing after somthing like that has happened? 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: