You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Spirits Of Okinawa

Real Ghost Stories

Spirits Of Okinawa

 

I was brought up and always felt it was best to speak to someone of my experiences. My tradition, Native American, we have many beliefs in the spiritual and unworldly creatures. My family shares the same "gift" as I do, of course not all of us have it. I was told by my grandmother that we have a strong line of Medician men and women in our family.

When I was young I was able to sense the presences of a spirit. As I got older my senses heightened and it came to where I knew if it was female or male, a child or adult. Now it's to where I see them. Sometimes shadows, mists, a glow and others as real as anyone else.

Right now I live in Okinawa, Japan, I moved here in April, 2010.  My family calls this a "gift", but at times it's real fear. I have been trying to control what I allow myself to see and feel, which hasn't been easy. There is so much activity on this island. That at times it's difficult to filter what's actually there and what's not.

I have 3 experiences that will forever stay with me. The first time I arrived here my husband was driving pass a military area which I felt very uncomfortable. After that feeling I seen a Japanese male walking along the road in front of us. Something about him was unsettling. I could feel it in my gut and under my skin. To me the way he was walking didn't seem that he touched the ground. Twice it looked like he would bulb up taller than back down to size. After seeing this I couldn't take my eyes off him. It was towards the evening, just before dark, there was a light glow with some pink and purple in the sky.

As we drove closer he started to fade away. We got to the point where I seen him last I started looking around with no sign of him anywhere. My husband asked what's wrong. I explained to him that I didn't like the feeling the area was giving and what I saw. He then explained to me about the area and stories that are connected to it.  Unfortunately, I can't share details due to it being a military base.

He told me that it's an old muns storage and there were some deaths involved. Sounds of guns and explosions in the distance when there shouldn't be. There's times when guards will see old Japanese soldiers geared up for battle and upon being approached they would disappear.

For all I know what I seen that evening could've been a Japanese soldier back in 1945.

My second encounter here was in my own home. I live in what Japanese call a mansion, but it's actually an apartment, American style. For several days whenever I woke up to go to the bathroom I felt someone watching from the spare bedroom. Night, after night this continued. The room has always felt stuffy and dark.

I went into the room one night to confront whatever was in there. My entire body started to tingle and I felt almost empty. I had to get out of the room and went right back to bed. That night I slept close to my husband.

Third time, I was home alone, my husband was working the night shift. I was asleep when noises at the foot of my bed woke me up. It was the sound of crinkling paper. I laid in bed listening to it and then it stopped. We didn't own any animals at this time. I admit, I was scared. After that I felt a presence, it felt like a child, pacing back and forth from the foot of my bed to the side of the bed I was sleeping on. My body starting getting the chills and feeling sick in the stomach. The only other way I can describe it was the feeling of a hangover.  I covered my head and fell back to sleep. But not for long. I woke to what I thought was my husband finally home. My nerves finally could settle.

I could hear his boot on the tile floor walk from the door to the office, but he never came to the room. I thought he wasn't tired yet and he probably went in the office to play on the computer. So I fell to sleep. I woke up to the floor creek at our bedroom door. Half asleep thinking my husband was finally coming to bed.

As this presence got closer to the bed and lean over, I knew it wasn't him. All I could do was lay in bed with this thing staring at me inches away from my face. I imagined myself grabbing its hair and pushing it away from me. After a few moments, which felt like hours, my heart stopped racing, still scared though.

I mustered up the courage to get out of bed to tell my husband what happened and to come to bed.  I got up and the place was dark. I wondered if he stepped out, but there was no evidence of him ever being home.

I slept light for the rest of the night, with the TV on and heard the front door open this time. I yelled out my husbands name to make sure it was him. Thank God, it was him. I don't know how much more I could've taken. I told him my experience, that we are getting a cat and I was going to smudge the house in the morning.

When I woke up I was angry about what these spirits put me through. I smudged our home fed up, I was basically yelling at them to get out. In my tradition cats can see spirits and they will protect those they love. We now own 2 cats. Since that day I haven't had any encounters in my home anymore. Outside is another story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Joyspud, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LFrog1386 (1 stories) (73 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-06-09)
Fenrispro- old muns storage is short hand for munitions storage as in ammunition, grenades, etc. The author is alluding to deaths occurring on the base due to the munitions stored there- perhaps some young, dumb soldiers playing with things they shouldn't have.
Fenrispro (58 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-03-21)
He told me that it's an old muns storage and there were some deaths involved. ---- What is old muns storage mean?
Zander (7 stories) (141 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-12)
Fascinating...I am from the US too and have stayed in Japan. Boy is there ever more spirit activity over there! It's not your imagination. I have a posting about the demon I fought in Tokyo as a girl in the 70's, here. Washte, sister. ❤
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
Joyspud,
Very good account! I am glad to hear your home is now settled. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do for the outside. Is it very terrible?
You mention being Native American - may I ask what tribe? (Not that it matters - I'm just nosey that way 😊.)
Thank you for sharing!
serenitylopez (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
What an interesting read. I'd love to hear more about your gift and experiences.
Barbie1637 (1 stories) (34 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-19)
Wow I know exactly how you feel. Joyspud, I also have what some call a gift. I have a lot of stories about the stuff I have seen, but I am unable to post because the page is closed. But just know your are not alone, there is plenty of Empath people out there.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-06)
Joyspud:

Wow! What an interesting story... And so creapy.
I admire your "gift", but woudn't have the guts to live with it. 😉
I'm looking forwards to read more of your experiences.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
Joyspud,
Welcome to YGS!
I have to agree with you about where you live and the amount of activity there. I never was stationed overseas when I served, but a bunch of my friends were. One girl that I shared a dorm room with went to Okinawa for a year. She did not enjoy it at all, and for the same reason you have. Too many spirits that looked like they were alive still. She even had one come up to her and get so close that it was the only way she knew it was a spirit! It had no smell.
The thought of waking up to someone staring into your face just inches away from you gives me the screaming fits!
Thank you for sharing Joyspud. It was a creepy experience, and I can't wait to read the next.

Jav 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: