You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: My Dead Cat - Young & Lively Again

Real Ghost Stories

My Dead Cat - Young & Lively Again

 

In 1994, I had the rare privilege of adopting a purebred Russian Blue cat. The breed is known for its intelligence, loyalty, and stubborn streak. By January, 2007, she was in full-blown chronic kidney failure, and deaf. IV fluids kept her healthy until this past week. I made the decision to euthanize her when she stopped eating and began to withdraw. Usually she demanded eye-contact and was very people-oriented, but hid her head and wanted no cuddles at all.

Combined with 3 days of no food and constant vomiting, the decision was easy - save her from having to shuffle in pain out of this world. I took her body home with me Tuesday morning. By Tuesday evening, I had a lively 3 or 4 year old cat bound through my home (she had died at 15-1/2). She jumps on my bed and pushes my feet out of the way, zooms up and down the stairs, and generally hangs out with me or my roommates. We don't see her per se, but we catch movements in the corner of our eyes and see flashes of cat shaped movement on the stairs. This is no demon entity, just my dear pet refusing to go to her rest. It isn't particularly scary, and we are getting used to the idea. The running joke is to reassure ourselves that there IS no cat in the house. We laugh and say yeah, right, and watch the flicker twist around our ankles just like she did before her body died.

Having a ghost cat isn't so bad. After all, it saves on pet food and cat litter. And vet bills.

About the passing itself: I was puzzled about her death, because it was so unlike my last cat. My little orange half-Siamese was put down and click! The lights were out, he was gone. He had been with me for nearly 7 years, was a mellow, sweet fellow, and he just turned off. I took his body home and nothing ever happened, though he was a kind and loving pet. With this one, the vet, the vet tech, and I all felt that someone left the room - Elvis has left the building indeed.

The room was emptier, I guess, as though a fourth person had left.

Other hauntings by Raven_CT

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Raven_CT, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SnailBug (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-07)
What a sweet story! I felt my beloved cat leave the room about 5 minutes after he had been euthanized. I sat there holding his body in my arms up to my chest as my dad finished the paperwork at the veterinary hospital's front desk, and what I felt in those 5-10 minutes was so extraordinary. It was the strongest feeling of energy I have ever felt - I just sat there in awe of it. It was crazy! I am guessing that was him leaving his body. I'm glad your kitty still visits you!
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hi just ran across your story, I like the fact that your cat's ghost is still there with you Poor kitty😭. My husband and I have a cat she is a calico and I love her like family. Thanks for the story. 😊

At least you know she is happy and still playful. 😊
ra380224 (2 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-10)
Hi Raven,

I just wanted you to know that your story brought me much comfort. I had to euthanize a cat over the weekend. He wasn't even mine. He was my neighbor's cat (used as a mouser) who was neglected and unloved. I had not seen him during the winter, which was cold and hard this year. I saw him again late spring/early summer. He was emmaciated and he had lost all of his glorious fur. I wanted to take him, but I had already adopted his mother last fall - plus my own cat and this is my father's house, not mine. Early in the spring, he started to come over to visit and I would give hime food. But two Thursdays ago he came over, I gave him food and he threw up and started to pant and have labored breathing. He crawled under our bushes (I assumed waiting to die). I brought him in the house but too late for a vet. I brought him in the next day. The vet had him on meds over the weekend and I brought him home last Monday thinking I could nurse him back to health and normal. The vet said that he could have been poisoned or sprayed. I fed him through a syringe and gave him water the same way all week. By Friday, he started to hide his head and curl his body into a little ball. I had not given up on him but it seemed as if he had given up on himself. I cried all day and all through the procedure. This was the first time I had to experience putting a friend to sleep. It was painful and it is still is. Sometimes I ask him to let me know that I made the right decision for him. As I told the vet, it's not about me. Anyway, while I wait for him to give me a sign, I take comfort in knowing that if he is not close by, he is happy and back to his old self again on this side of the Rainbow Bridge. Actually, he's buried in an area between my home and the garage he stayed in. I thought it would be appropriate since this was the area where he spent the most time. He was only a year old. Thank you again for your story.
monica5 (3 stories) (22 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-20)
Very Lucky Raven, I would only be so lucky. I had a dog named Ben when I was young. We had him since the day he was born. He had thre legs looked like a tripod. He could still jump fences, but when I moved from Idaho to my home now in Arizona at about 13 14 years old he was no where to be found 😢 he would once in a while take off for a day or two and always come back probably chasing lady dogs anyway the day we were set and had the u-haul packed he was no where to be found and we had to leave without him. My heart was broke to never feel that closness to a pet again. I cried all the way to Arizona 2 day drive and well after too. I dream of him all the time. I wish he would appear to me. You are lucky.
Thaks for sharin
M5
Tygerwolfe (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-20)
Having had many, many experiences with my own ghost cats (one, soon to be two chronicled on this very site), I have to say that you are indeed lucky to have your kitty with you still. :)

I find it's very nice to speak to the cats whenever I see or feel them... Sometimes it encourages them to show themselves more or for longer periods of time.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-19)
Dear RavenCT,

You were blessed to have two wonderful cats who loved you and your family unconditionally.
One was just a bit more "human" than feline though and left a bigger imprint and is still doing so on this side, as well as the other side. Pets and small, innocent children equal unconditional love. As human beings growing into adults, we can sure learn a lot from them. You are blessed, Abby
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-18)
All animal spirits are a sighn of love and affectoin. You are blessed and loved most dearly by your cat. When yoyu see something like that, say hello and I miss you and such things.
Your friend,
Mikomi

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: