You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: They Knew Our Names

Real Ghost Stories

They Knew Our Names

 

This incident took place 3 years back. I had been for a weekend trip to a place called Lonavala, with my family and friends. It is a famous holidaying spot in the outskirts of Mumbai.

The whole day we did some sight seeing and in the evening took shelter in a cottage house owned by a friend of my dad. The house was located 2 kilometers away from the main town and was in middle of a deserted place (you can say so because there were no signs of any habitations around). The care taker of the house too was there in with us to take care of our needs.

We all were quite exhausted and fell asleep as soon as we got down on the beds. I forgot to mention we were 10-15 people in there. In the middle of the night, at about 1am, someone started calling out my uncle's name-Sudhir (name changed) from outside the house. Almost all of us woke up because of it as it was pretty loud and audible to all. So my uncle started for the main door. But the care taker, let us say, Pravin, ran towards my uncle and stopped him from opening the door. When asked why did he do so, all he said was "It is pretty late so you mustn't go out. It might just be your imagination."

But how could all of us imagine the same? Yet we slept. But this name calling session repeated again. Once with my uncle's name-Sudhir and once with my cousin's name-Tanmay. However the care taker was stern at not allowing us to open the door.

Later that night the water drums kept outside the house started rolling on their own and created huge noise which again woke everyone. This time we opened the window and tried looking out for someone but there was no sign of anyone there. And the most shocking thing was that the drums were standing still and there was no other thing nearby which could make such noise.

By this time everyone was awake and quite stunned as we realised what it could be out there. And no one was in a mood to sleep again. So we started playing some cards. An hour or so passed by and then all of a sudden we heard noises of someone running over the roof. It was a typical olden styled Indian cottage having those wooden roof tops and someone running over it would make great noise. And by the running, one could make out that there were more than 1 or 2 people up there. Now my dad was really angry and ran out to catch the culprit. But as expected, there was absolutely no one on the roofs.

So now the care taker pleaded my dad to get in the house and not go out until morning. But such incidences continued all night. And we were all really scared now.

Finally it was morning and then did the care taker open up the doors and windows. But however didn't tell us what it was the last night. We left for home that evening and so didn't get to spend another night there.

I wonder whether it was something paranormal or some prankster doing it all.

Other hauntings by SassySrush

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SassySrush, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-23)
Dear SassySrush,

A very well narrated scary tale. Thank you for sharing it with us.
I agree with Jester in what he said. They are called 'Nishi' in Bengali, but I have never heard them doing such mischief. They are only known to call out people's names to lure them out of their homes to their death. This is indeed news to me! Very creepy

😨
jester (3 stories) (24 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
These are very common reports from India and elders say that do not answer them until you've heard 3-4 times.

Some entities are even more powerful. My mother's grandpa once encountered one such thing while returning from village market after dusk.

People those days were fearless and much spiritually inclined. So, he eventually challenged the thing to either show its face or to bugger off. The thing was instigating him to jump in a pond.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-12)
SassySrush,
Okay, this is a creepy thing to have happened to all of you. The fact that there were so many witnesses to this is what gets me. Something was trying to tempt people outside, and thank goodness for the caretaker. No telling what would have befallen you and the other guests had he not stopped them from going out to investigate every noise. 😲
Very eerie indeed! Thank you for sharing.

Jav 😊
SassySrush (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-12)
Allison... I live quite at a distance from that place and have got no aquaintance there. So there's no scope of researching with the locals. Though I tried searching for it on the net.

And alkra... Though 'it' might not be dangerous yet it gives you chills down your spine to know there's something supernatural around! 😐 😉
alkra (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
Spooky. Sound like poltergeist, to me. German for, "Noisy ghost/spirit," which sounds exactly like you described. Maybe the caretaker had past experiences with this "Spirit," and thought it might be dangerous? There are very few reports of a ghost killing someone, so if it was super-natural, I'm sure you all had nothing too worry about. 🤔
AllieAllison (28 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
Wow, I think this is probably something tipical, and maybe dangorus the caretaker was only trying 2 protct you. I wouldn't spend a night there again. Ask some locals if you still curious
Allison 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: