You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Fear of the Unknown

Real Ghost Stories

Fear of the Unknown

 

My mum's sister, who was called Jeannie, always used to tell my cousin and I ghost stories when we were little. The thing was they weren't made up, they were real. When someone in our family was going to die, my aunt Jeannie used to see a Banshee, what she saw was a little woman dressed in black and as far as I can remember, the Banshee cried. My aunt saw this every time someone in the family died.

When my own mum died, she told my dad that she had seen the Banshee, but what she couldn't understand was that she saw 2 Banshees. A week or so after my mum passed away, my aunt Jeannie's grandson was in a car accident and died, hence the two Banshees. She always knew when death was around, she said a cold hand would touch her or she felt death, it never seemed to scare her, just everyone else.

I have had a few strange experiences. When my best friend Mandy passed away suddenly, I went to melbourne for her funeral, I stayed at my niece's house. The first night in Melbourne I went to bed and was woken in the early hours of the morning by someone in my bedroom, I thought it must have been my niece looking for something, but I thought to myself, who in their right mind would be looking for something in the dead of night in the dark, I just started feeling uneasy, when I felt like someone had sat down on my bed beside me and put their hand on me. I got a real fright and jumped out of bed and turned the light on and it stayed on for the next few nights that I stayed in Melbourne. I know if it was Mandy, I should not have been frightened but I was, death does scare me and every time it happens to someone I know, I am scared that I am going to see them, why I don't know, because as my mum and dad used to say to me, it's not the dead you should be scared of.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lynfanning, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-30)
Although each of us realizes we should not fear the paranormal always, it is hard not to. I don't know about you, but I was raised that unless you could touch it, verify it, document it, etc, it isn;t real. We look for logic in our situations and sometimes there just isn't any!

God Bless!
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-20)
Dear lyn,

I agree doubley and doubley agree with Enchantee and love Enchantee's posts on this site too, even when I disagree with Enchantee, I love Enchantee. Woot! Woot! 😊

Blessings lyn and Enchantee, --Abby
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-19)
Dear lyn fanning,

I appreciated your interesting story. I also agree with Shane that many times the living can be more of a nuisance and scare than the non-living.

I would also like to add the following for all readers:
A "Banshee" is a a female spirit in Irish and Scottish folklore whose wail is to foretell a death in a house.

I do believe we all have our own psychic, intuitive or sensitive (insert your own personal word label) type symbols based on our own personal upbringing, foundation and belief system. I just have dreams about the people who are going to pass, pretty forthright, some of the people I do know, while other people I do not know nor have I ever met in real life. Sometimes, the dreams are complete, sometimes they are fragmented, but always up to me to interpret. I cannot save another from their own death, I can only deliver the message, if I am meant to or called to do so. It is my own personal belief that it is always up to the individual whether messenger or the receiver of the message. It is also always up to the individual in regards to their time on this earth and that decision is their responsibility and is also between themselves and their own personal belief system.

Once again, thanks. Work with your fears and look directly at what you truly fear, and it will become in time, less fearful, more understandable and soon the unknown will be known to you. Blessings, Abby
ceci52001 (2 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-19)
It must be eerie for that to happen. As you get older you will be more comfortable with it.
I used to be like that when I was younger but as I'm getting up there it is ok. 😁
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-19)
Very true statement. You shouldn't fear the dead, but fear the living for they are more capable of evil doings than any spirit or entity can manifest upon one person. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: