You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: My Cat Returns To Stay

Real Ghost Stories

My Cat Returns To Stay

 

Nearly eight years ago I rescued a sick kitten from the streets of Queens, NY, near my home. I kept him and he and I became such good pals that I couldn't imagine life without him.

Sadly, like so many cats, he began to succumb to kidney disease, even though he was only eight. He wasn't eating, wasn't responding to fluid therapy to flush out the toxins, and he had fluid in his lungs, which I was told could be flushed out but would only fill back up a day or two later, and would create further stress on his failing kidneys. It wasn't looking good for him so, with a reluctant, heavy heart, I put him to sleep. I cried like a baby for a whole week, and still miss him terribly.

Anyway, only a couple days after his death, I started hearing meows coming from seemingly nowhere. Even though I did get another cat about two and a half years ago, I'm sure it wasn't him, because he was near me at the time.

I also felt a light "step," for lack of a better word, on my bed one night, a light pressure that gently pulled at my sheets. When I looked up, there was nothing there. But my first cat, the deceased one, always slept on my bed, so I couldn't help thinking of him.

About five days after his death, I was just hanging around my living room, still feeling really sad and missing my little pal, when suddenly my second cat started going crazy, following something that I couldn't see with his eyes, half meowing, half whining, in that funny cat way. Then he ran up to a doorway from my living room to a hallway and jumped up, as if trying to get at something about five feet up along the entrance, still being very vocal. But there was nothing visible there.

I walked over to him, speaking nicely to calm him down, assuring him that it was alright and there was nothing to get excited about. He finally went down on all fours again and walked away, as if frustrated. I stood there looking at the empty spot that my second cat was trying to get at so desperately, and couldn't help thinking about my dead cat. I then called out to him, asking if he was there with me.

Suddenly, a quick, cold burst of air, more like a ball of air, flew past my head, caressing my neck and cheek. It really startled me, at first, but I couldn't help thinking it was my first cat, coming to say hello, or good-bye. No doors or windows were open, and there wasn't any place the wind could have come from.

A few days later I went to a psychic medium (my first time ever) with questions about my cat, as well as a few personal things. Well, before long, she was telling my that not only was my cat perfectly fine, but that he has come back and is in my house with intentions to stay with me until I cross over. She told me all of this before I mentioned anything about what was going on in my place.

When I told her, she just laughed and agreed and said, yes, it was definitely my cat, and he was there to stay. She was pretty accurate with most of the rest of her reading, too.

Although I still miss my first cat and wish he was still with me in body, I find comfort in feeling pretty certain that he is still with me in spirit. A true and loyal friend to the last.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JosephC, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-17)
Thank you kindly for the birthday wishes and kind words, I'm sure she's here with me.:)
JosephC (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-17)
MizMiMi02 - Sorry to hear about your dachsund. Dogs are some of the most loyal and wonderful animals on earth, and it doesn't surprise me to hear that she returned to say good-bye. She may still be there, hanging around, keeping an eye on you. But if not, I'm sure you're right, that she will be waiting to greet you when you cross over.

By the way, I noticed in one of your stories that tomorrow (May 18) is your birthday. Well, Happy Birthday, to you. And I'm glad you liked my story.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-17)
Such a great story. I think we all hope that our fur kids have found a place of rest, but secretly hope they are waiting for us here.
When my beloved dapple dachshund Sienna passed, I cried for weeks, then I heard the jingle of her (we had no other dogs at the time) collar every morning at breakfast time. They will be sadly missed, but I can't wait to see her running for me when she sees me at the end of rainbow bridge. And your bundle of loving fur, will no doubt we waiting for you as well.
JosephC (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-17)
TheFatalSoul - You are so right, that pets are more than "just animals." They really are our best freinds in so many ways. And it is hard to lose them. I still miss him very much. But I'm glad that he returned, even though he doesn't seem to be hear all the time.

In fact, the medium I went to said that he does leave sometimes, as he's enjoying his new found power of flight, but that he always comes back. He likes it here, she said.

I only wish that I could see him, or that he would make his presence known to me, the way he did that one Saturday night.

Does anyone know of any way to encourage a spirit to be more active and to make their presence known?
TheFatalSoul (5 stories) (9 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-17)
Hi, I know how hard it is to lose a pet. Some people think of them as just animals, but I know they are a lot more. They are our best friends, they are family.
I lost my beautiful persian, cocky, last year. I was devastated when we had to put him down, as I grew up with him. Still every now and then I hear his strange meow (MREEEEOOOOOOOORRRRR) and feel him on my bed. When he was put to sleep all of our other cats were devastated as well, and strangely enough now they're all behaving like him.

I like your story and I'm glad that you are lucky enough to experience such loyalty.
Ibelieveheshere (2 stories) (68 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
I know what it's like going through a rough time take care of sick cat it's very hard and put them to sleep I been going this too last year she would had been 15 this year in july 3rd we always love our animals.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-15)
JosephC,
This is such a sweet experience. Thank you for sharing it with us. And I agree that it is definitely your cat come back to visit. My dog has done so as well. ❤

Jav 😊
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-15)
That's such a sweet story, reading it made me think about my own experience with my cat Tom (you can find it in my stories).

It is very hard to say good by to our pets, but it is nice when they come to let us know that their love for us did not die with the flesh.

Thanks for sharing 😊
JosephC (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-15)
Thanks, girlie. Glad you liked my story. And I'm very grateful that my cat has returned (though it's hard to tell sometimes if he's still here (How do you tell with a spirit?).

The only thing that gives him away lately is my other cat, who acts very strangely sometimes. He watches and follows "something" with his eyes, very closely and intensely, makes funny frustrated noises, and then skampers off. That, I think, is him seeing my deceased cat. At least, that's what the psychic medium told me.

Thanks for sharing your comments.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-15)
I love your story! I have a cats that I miss, but sadly (as far as I can tell) only abut one has come back for a visit. 😢
But I very glad yours has come back, be thankful 😉
GIRLIE ❤
JosephC (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-15)
Thanks, Shellzy. And you're right: it is comforting knowing that our furry friends will be there for us when we cross over (and sometimes waiting around right here with us). They often make the best friends in life (and maybe even after).

I agree, ghosthunter9876. Not that long ago, I, too, was skeptical about god and all that sort of stuff (though I was kind of interested and open minded about ghosts and hauntings, just not very sure). But lately, largely due to my experience with my cat spirit friend and my reading with the psychic medium, I am convinced that there is more to the world than we see, and that there is, indeed, a spirit world.
ghosthunter9876 (67 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-15)
It's very sad to hear that you lost a dear furry friend, but also feels nice to see that your furry friend is back to be with you until the very last, indeed a truly loyal pal. Such are the creations of God. You know A few years ago I never would have believed if any any one told me that Ghosts existed because I even did not believe in God or heaven but now after reading this many experiences of people all over the world I am convinced that there is a world beyond earth which does indeed exist and very a human beings actual lives begin. 😢 😁 😊
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-14)
That's a beautiful story. I think your little pal was so grateful that you rescued him that he wants to stick around in your loving home.

It's so sad when we lose a pet but I like these stories as it gives confirmation that our furry little friends stay with us after they have passed.

Thanks for sharing ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: