You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: The Poltergeist Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Poltergeist Ghost

 

Growing up I was always a very sensitive and hyperactive child. I used to worry about the tiniest things that would happen in my childhood, and so I was known as the only girl in my family who was always and constantly paranoid. As I have now matured in my teen years and I take things less to heart, I don't worry like I used to. What happened last year is something I still think about today, because it really scared me and worried me at the time.

I guess you could have called our family "The Brady Bunch." I come from a family of six, and I am the second oldest daughter. My parents always seemed to have a pretty normal relationship. My dad works really high up with his company, which resulted in our family going overseas and travelling around Australia with his work. Mum works as a casual at a car rentals company and doesn't get nearly half the pay my dad does. These were slight differences but it didn't change the way how great my childhood was.

We lived in a beautiful home, south east of Melbourne. Mum always told dad to down-size our house because it was too big and financially they couldn't afford it. Dad always refused to sell the house, and that we were "just fine" with our money. Mum did the bills so she knew what was best. She ended up working three jobs on the side because she was stressed out so much with the mortgage. Dad never listened.

Something very sad happened last year. I could see my parents were drifting a part from each other, both were working too hard. I guess my dad had too much pressure on him as well as stress, and so he went and had an affair on my mum. When mum forgave him for the first time. They didn't even last two weeks into fixing things before mum caught him out a second time. This was heartbreaking for all of us kids.

It shocked me the most because my dad was brought up into a family of Catholics. My dad's mum has always been very religious and her morals and values in life are very important to her. They were very important to my dad's father as well, and then he passed away from cancer in 1996, so I never got a chance to get to know him. My mum says that if my dad's father was here today, he would disown my father for the pain he has caused my family.

Everyone was disgusted in what my father had done. His morals and values in life didn't matter to him anymore. Every night he would drink himself stupid and drown himself in his sorrows. He turned into an alcoholic.

It hurt me the most because I thought of dad as my best friend. I went to him with everything as mum never understood me the way dad did. I would go to dad with all of my personal problems, and he would be there for me like a mother should have been.

This whole incident changed me for the better. I realised my mum was only very strict with us because she was being a good mother. Thankfully today I am very close to her and I respect the decisions she makes for our family.

Sorry for the very long introduction, now onto the real story.

It was the night my mother was going out to catch my father for a second time with this woman. My little brother and sister had been arranged to have a sleep over at my mum's parents house, she wanted to go alone if she was going to catch my dad out again.

I had work that night at our local supermarket, and I didn't arrive home until about 8.30pm. I was home alone. I knew my older sister wasn't too far away from arriving home either, so I had planned to cook us both a nice home cooked meal. I started cooking some chicken in the fry pan, when I heard a funny noise come from upstairs. I didn't think much of it at the time, as I kept thinking in my head about mum catching dad out. It was all I could think about. I had been nervous all day, the minute mum told me she was going to follow my dad. He told us he was going on a "conference" 3 hours away and that he would call us when he would get there. I didn't believe him and neither did mum, I had butterflies in my stomach all day thinking about it.

So I was cooking dinner thinking about all of this. The noises continued upstairs of the house but I wasn't focusing on that, I was only focusing on what was going on in my mind. I heard a few thumps, and that was what caught my attention. I stopped cooking and listened for a while, the noises stopped.

The noises didn't continue for a while after that. I had just made dinner and served it up on our kitchen counter, and I was sitting at our kitchen table waiting for my sister to come home so we could eat together. I was waiting for a good 10 minutes.

All of a sudden, I heard a voice. It was an old man's voice. I jumped out of my chair in complete shock, this voice scared the living day lights out of me. I didn't manage to hear any words, it was more a mumbling sound, but it definitely came from an old man's voice. I didn't know what to do. Straight after I jumped out of my chair I couldn't see properly. My vision went funny. It was as if I had a million people surrounding me at once, and I felt completely dizzy.

I ran to the other side of the house and screamed, "LEAVE ME ALONE!"

I didn't know what it was or what the heck just happened. I then heard the garage door opening, so I bolted to the end of our hallway and ran straight out towards my sister. I ran into her arms and told her everything that had just happened.

My sister, Emily, has never seen me react like this before, so part of her believed me. I would watch all those paranormal television shows with Emily months and months before this incident. Two of our favourite shows were "A Haunting" and "The Haunted." We would even watch "Celebrity Ghost Stories." It really tickled our fancy, and she believed in all of the paranormal stuff just like I did.

She convinced me to go back inside with her even after I refused to go. We sat down at the kitchen table and ate dinner quietly. Mum rang us just as we were eating dinner and told us that she did see dad with another woman. This made us feel miserable.

I was surprised the noises didn't start up again while I was with Emily. I didn't get it. Emily told me she was going to go and have a shower. She told me to calm myself and go and sit in our study room and go on the computer. She promised not to be long.

I go and sit in the study room. I log onto facebook and start talking to one of my good friends, Connor. Connor has had many experiences with the paranormal. He tells me all the time how spirits are present in his house all the time and he is used to it.

Thankfully Connor was online at the time, so I told him what had happened earlier on with the man voice. He was very helpful to me, and tried to calm me and make me feel better. He kept telling me that he thought it was poltergeist activity, and at the time I didn't know too much about what a poltergeist was. "You've been really stressed out at home with your parents separation. I believe that this is a poltergeist!" Connor had said.

What doesn't make sense is that I heard a voice, and poltergeist activity isn't a human spirit. It's your own negative energy being released out of you that makes a negative entity.

Not even 10 minutes into our conversation did I start hearing noises again. These were footsteps this time. I could hear the footsteps making their way down the hall towards the study room. I panicked. I started typing frantically to Connor telling him what was going on. He tried to reply to me, but I couldn't focus on the computer screen anymore.

The footsteps stopped right in front of the study room. Because the study is made up of carpet, you can't hear when somebody is walking on it. I believed the footsteps had made its way into the study room behind myself. I was still sitting in front of the computer desk.

You know the saying, "I felt as if someone was standing right behind me, I could feel it". I have never experienced that before until this night. I never understood what it meant to have it feel like someone was right up your backside. Let me tell you this, it is one of the creepiest feelings in the world. The hairs on your neck stand up and you just want to run as fast as you can somewhere else.

I leaped out of my chair and ran all the way down the hall, up the stairs and straight into my sister's bedroom. She was still in the shower at the time. I got in her bed and put the covers over my head. I started praying really hard to God, asking him to protect me and guide me. My sister came out of her bathroom in shock to see me on her bed. I told her what had happened and what Connor had told me.

Once Emily got changed, we walked downstairs together and sat in our lounge room. She turned the television on to give us a distraction. Emily had told me to find out ways on the internet into contacting my spirit guide for some guidance.

As I had my iPod on me, I went straight onto google and tried researching about poltergeists and the best way to get rid of them. Google had told me that poltergeists are most common in teenage girls and last about a month. There is no real way of getting rid of a poltergeist, unless I release positive energy instead of negative energy.

Because of the massive build up of frustration and misery from my parents separation, I had been feeling depressed for ages. I couldn't even remember the last time I had been really happy, so I started to accept that maybe this WAS poltergeist activity?

I tried my hardest not to think about anything related to paranormal throughout the rest of that night, apparently it helps to calm those being affected by them. I made Emily sleep in the same bed with me that night, it was nice to have her comfort me after everything I had just been through.

Throughout the next few weeks the activity stayed. The noises only happened when I was by myself. One night a few weeks after this incident, I was on the couch watching the television with my puppy, Phoebe. We both heard footsteps upstairs of our house. Phoebe ran straight towards the stairs and started barking and growling. I followed after her and yelled, "You should go back from which you came. You don't scare me anymore". The noises stopped after that night.

I am proud to say we do not live in that house anymore. It was put on the market and we moved to a much better house, and we have down-sized. I live with my mum and siblings and it is the best feeling.

My older sister Emily has befriended a girl who is a psychic. She told us we have an "old man" living in our new house, but that he is harmless and that he in fact looks after us. I never feel scared being in our new house, I always feel safe.

My experience still crosses my mind from day to day, because I still do not understand what happened that night. Nobody believes me a part from Emily. She is the only one who believes me.

I do not know if it was poltergeist activity that I was being affected by that night, as I did hear a man's voice in the beginning. It could have been my imagination, but the footsteps and thumping noises were all very true. I will not forget this.

If you have any idea what it COULD have been please comment below.

I apologise that this story was very long, I wanted to make sure I went into detail with things so I wasn't having people ask and having me to explain everything.

Other hauntings by jasmineh

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jasmineh, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

niaavea17 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-23)
I'm so very sorry for a late reply, truly do apologize. I read your story over and over well maybe over 56 times. I had the same encounter like you did. It turns out it was an uncle of mine of whom I have never met before.
Point is it might have been your grandfather that you never seen before.
lissy86 (4 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-29)
I am also from Melbourne and managed to get myself a poltergeist when I was a teenager maybe I shall share the story here oneday
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-27)
You had me spellbound, Jasmineh! What an experience. I am relieved that your sister's friend believes the old man is watching out for you.
Mysterylady (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
Hi Jasmineh, maybe with all the stress in your home at the time, maybe it could have been your late grandfather trying to communicate with you or it's possible your emotions open a door for parnormal activity but it seems they meant no harm to you or your sister. I hope now that your home life is happier, no one needs to experience the hurt that your father's action put on your family. GOD BLESS YOU, YOUR SISTER, AND YOUR MOM.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-21)
Hi Jasmineh

Im from the South East suburbs as well! Small world!
I think animals can be highly intutive and sense things that we cant. I have two cats and they freak me out at times because they will both stare in an open doorway, both alert just looking at something I can't see. I'm glad you feel better in your new house and the spirit seems to be a friendly one.

Thanks for sharing 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-21)
I'm Glad you came to your own conclusion of it being a Poltergeist the emotional energy and ages being a great indicator for this.

The voice you heard could also be a manifestation of your own energy ie: Psychokinesis, it is not unheard of, if it can produce knocks I'm sure it can produce words. Just something else to think about. Look forward to hearing more from a fellow Aussie.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
jasmineh (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-21)
Thank you very much for your feedback!

The spirit who is currently in the house I live in now, apparently is attached to a plate my mum had bought in 2005 or 2006 at a garage sale. My sister's friend, who is a psychic, told us the man is harmless but that the plate my mum had bought was his, and he can't seem to let go of it. He also goes from house to house, according to my sister's friend.
I always said to myself that if I ever had a real ghost in our house how petrified I would be, but honestly I always feel so happy and safe in our new house.
I don't feel like I'm being watched by anything, and our family dog Phoebe very much loves being in the house and she doesn't bark at anything unless she's outside and hears our neighbours.
Its all worked out very well:)

And thank you very much Rook, that has been very helpful. I know now that it most likely was poltergeist activity, thankfully nothing like that has happened to me recently.:)
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-21)
jasmineh,

It very well may have been a Poltergeist... The 'energy' of Puberty coupled with the stress in the Home at the time could have 'created' a 'spirit' or 'drawn' one into your home. Frightening, surely. Harmful, not really. As puberty passes and the stress level drops this activity should come to an end.

As far as the Spirit in your new home. This seems unrelated to the activity in your old home... Have you researched the history of the new home? This may help determine who the 'Old Man' is. Start a Journal, this will help you keep track of events and keep the details straight. You can then check over them for commonalities, possible messages or 'hints' as to what may be going on. This will include going back over any experience and 'debunking' it.

Thank you for sharing and please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
Midnight-Feast-101 (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-20)
OMG I LOVE A HAUNTING! I also live in South east Melbourne! Anyway, your story is really interesting. 😊 ❤ 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: