You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Ghost Car Of Highway 58

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost Car Of Highway 58

 

My title might sound like the opening to a fictional story, but strangely this was a real life event that made me feel like I was stepping into fiction. It was about 12 or 13 years ago. For a while I even forgot about it, but recently it came back to my memory and sparked my interest in the supernatural. I hate to find out I was fooled, and tend to be pretty rational, so something has to be really freaky to get my attention. I was young but I don't think that makes it less valid. I was probably 10 years old, so I knew what was real and what wasn't. Plus... There were two witnesses to this story and that shows something was up! It still gives me chills!

So here is what happened! We lived in Tennessee at the time. We lived in a nice, family friendly, small city. Not the kind of place for anything "weird" to happen. We were going down one of the main roads, to the store or something. I'd been down there a million times, so I wasn't really interested in looking out the window. I was minding my own business, until I heard my sister scream! Me and my dad both jumped in our seat. I thought she was hurt! But she wasn't hurt, she was just shocked. Then I heard her say, "That car has NO ONE in it!" I looked up and sure enough... I didn't see anyone in there! It went by really quick but as far I could tell, no people were in there. But despite the uh... Lack of a driver, haha, it seemed to be very controlled! It wasn't out to hurt anyone and it looked like whatever/or whoever was controlling that car just had places it wanted to be! It passed us nicely... Just like any normal car would, and went on it's way! I watched it go down the highway as far as my eye could see. It didn't vanish like some creepy movie car... It just went the normal speed and made it's way down the highway!

We were about to pass under a bridge, and the car was coming from an exit ramp that went off that bridge. So that meant it had to come down and merge right next to us. That's one reason why it was so weird! It merged passed us, so we were pretty close! The driver's window of that car was directly to the right of my sister's window. It was about eye level because it was a low car and ours was a low car too. So if there was a person in there, how would you not see them? I still remember what it looked liked. I forgot what the name of it is. It looked a little rough and old... Like one of those long, low cars from maybe the late 70's. Who knows? Maybe you've seen it too? For all I know thing could be going cross country! But I never saw it again in my city!

I don't know much about the paranormal yet but I'm very curious. Can a ghost drive a car? Can a thing with no physical body move a physical object? Or is it another supernatural thing that would move a car? This isn't something that haunts me. As far as I know, me and this thing just happened to pass each other! I'm baffled! What could it have been?

Other hauntings by Andrea22

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Andrea22, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-10-26)
Just watched an adaptation of this story by "Beyond Creepy" on Youtube (youtube.com/watch?v=L3TY3oLjLOY). As I was listening, I began to wonder why the story was so damn familiar.
It was published there on Oct 15, 2016.

(Andrea22 has not been active on YGS since 2013, but I thought I'd mention it.)

As I like to be reasonable, the video DOES include a spoken & visible credit to YGS, quotations from Andrea and Sacul were *also* specified. I didn't see a direct *link* to the story, but I am busy tidying up the basement and may have missed it.

-Biblio.
aoife (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-28)
Wow! I saw one of them In my home town but unlike your. Sister I just stared, as you said it seemed perfectly normal
Hmmmmm strange isn't it but my family didn't soooo strange
Kindest regards
Aoife x
out2getu (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
wow that's like really weird but why would you scream id just open my eyes really wide and stare
sacul (1 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
CearaIvory-
They make remotes with video camera inputs and tv screens for just such applications. We are thinking close to the same thing it seems. 😉
sacul (1 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
That was also roughly 13 years ago that I saw it as well! Exact same location. I cannot remember the make- just that it was not modern and had no driver in it. How bizarre... It sounds as though we both saw the same thing 😕... Have you checked any newspaper archives from that year?

Thanks again for the post/nostalgia. 😊
Haunted_cleaner (7 stories) (23 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-29)
Hi Andrea
I wanted to comment on your story as I have witnessed almost the same thing. A car passed us on a rural road, we saw no driver in the car. Once the vehicle passed us its tail lights disappeared into thin air. My boyfriend at the time was a gear head and he tried to chase it down. We could see miles ahead but car was gone. He said it was a 1950 (ish) Lincoln Continental.
My dad told me that this road was used in the 50's and 60's as a drag strip and the kids would race a quarter mile.
😁
CearaIvory (2 stories) (22 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-28)
You know I think it is possible it could have been a hoax on other drivers. People can build some wild things and I hardly think a life-size RC car, piloted maybe from something above like a balloon or something or even from another nearby vehicle is too big of a leap. Of course, if it was a ghost driving a car then that's just wicked cool^^.
Andrea22 (5 stories) (65 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-28)
[at] Sacul Haha actually yes... It was about a mile or two away from Booker T State Park, when I saw it. It may have been heading over there... Was going in that direction. For anyone else wondering... It was a light blue 1970 Lincoln Continental Mark III that I saw. I wondered so many times if someone was just ducked down, but I just don't see how you could be that far down and still merge right, without crashing into the person next to you!
sacul (1 stories) (71 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-27)
This wasn't by chance near the Booker T State park was it? When I was a child I too saw a car around that area of highway 58 with no driver. I never thought much of it until reading your story and had written it off as a prank or some little old lady that can barely be seen/see over the wheel... For those that think it is fiction, think again. I'm not sure what it is but can certainly confirm your story and appreciate you posting.

Maybe someone around that area enjoys RC cars of a 1:1 scale?:p
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-27)
I must have been thinking about this story when I went to bed last night because I had a dream that I saw a car driving down the road with nobody in it. How funny 😆
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-26)
Is it possible that as a prank, the people in the car ducked down? Sounds like the seats were...empty, though... Very creepy!
volleyball6 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-26)
What color was it? One time I was going home from the store and my mom and I were really confused by the car with no driver. It was white and an older car and it was driving normal, not speeding or swirving. It was weird!
teafortwo1922 (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-25)
Very cool story
I so wish I was there it is a ghost thriller dream come true like me
I had somthing happen with a car. I was in the moutains of Datil New Mexico on a school trip we found this old car from 1930 or earlier not sure when and what type of car. I got the stangest feeeling to it my friend who lives there told me more about it years later when I told him what happen when we were there. I will post soon I am still waiting for three storys of mine to be posted that I had posted
Andrea22 (5 stories) (65 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-24)
I saw a picture of one today and it totally came back to me what I saw that day... It was a light blue 1970 Lincoln Continental Mark III. It was chilling to remember exactly what it looked like!
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-24)
without a doubt. This very thing has happened to me. It was like an early 90's Buick and it was very weird. Have not thought about this in so many years. No one was driving that I could see. But it was flying at at least 90 and passed us by. I could not believe it either.
Hitsugaya_Toshiro_ice (13 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-05-24)
Ghost can take form of many objects they're desired to. Like orbs, or even possesing something. I've ever seen a car went through a road that is closed with chains connected from each sides. Not only me, some other cars which followed it also couldn't pass through the chains, well, I guess ghosts are unique with their own powers

Interesting story!

Brings back my memories back then 😁
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
Hmm, seems Lou has given some very good reasons behind why this stretch of road could have been "hot". That was most difinitely a memorable experience for I'm sure. Great story.
Andrea22 (5 stories) (65 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
I loved reading all your comments... Since I've never talked to anyone about this before.I've wondered before if someone was just ducked down but I realized there wasn't much chance of that. I was a tight squeeze between us and that car as we merged. If they were ducked down picking something up, and not looking at the road, I don't think it would have been possible to merge past as well as it did. It seemed too smooth for someone who was being stupid and not looking at the road. If it somehow was that... That is one talented person who merges without looking. By everything I could tell... It sure seemed like a ghost. Or some other paranormal event that I don't understand. If it was a ghost I'd have to wonder... Where were they going? There was mostly fast food around there. I picture them on their way to get a cheeseburger haha.
Barbie1637 (1 stories) (34 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
It could happen for sure... An old carriage used to drive by a house my mom and dad lived in, when they were first married. They were not the only people to see and hear it... There were many people in the area to hear and see it...
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
Andrea22,
Here is some fuel for your fire, so to speak.

Highway 58 was exclusive to Virginia until it was extended into Tennessee in 1996. State Route 383 is overlaid on U.S. Route 58 in Tennessee.

The segment of highway between Emporia and Suffolk was known as The Suicide Strip due to the high number of fatal accidents that occurred along the roadway when it was a two-lane road. The number of accidents lessened significantly when the route was upgraded to a divided highway, separating traffic in the early 1990s.

U.S. Route 58 is the longest numbered route in Virginia.[2]

Lou
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
How cool was that? I am going with Aussie's theory on this one. And I want to thank you for bringing your account of what you saw that day. I love to hear about these types of experiences. On the one hand it can be fascinating to witness such a thing. On the other hand, it does creep you out a little too. 😲

Jav ❤
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
Very interesting account, I guess anything is possible.

I had visions of Stephen Kings 'Christine' when I read this 😆 not a car I would want to mess with! 😆

Thanks for sharing
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
I have found these experience's the most fascinating and bizzare types of them all... Fortunately or unfortunately for me, I too with my son saw a car disappear before our very eyes with no logical explanation as to how, in broad daylight and travelling at about 8mph... One thing I have ruled out is it being an hallucination or something conducted in the mind for the simple reason like in your story, it was a shared account so surely two crazy people can't see the same thing?... I believe it's possible?... A parallel universe exist in tandem with ours separated by the smallest margin, perhaps a split second a head or behind... A place where we go in spiritual form after our time here is served, kind of like the matrix I guess... It is possible what you saw was the vehicle only and as for the driver, he may have been there but not to your vision or exactly in time with our world or what you saw... I just hope we don't have to pay road tax in the next joint hey, but who knows? Thanks for sharing mate!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
I do not doubt that this was a very, very odd thing to see. I can also see why you question if someone was actually driving but I have to ask... What is the chance that the driver was ducked down looking for something? Not very safe on their part, but none the less something to consider.

Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
eunice (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-22)
its an interesting story though its more on a fictional type. Well I guess, the car that you've encountered before might be controlled by some one or something (but I have no idea what could be that thing is) because we all know that it is impossible for a car to be driving itself. Right?:) unless, their is an "invisible driver" "who" controls it. I mean, a nice ghost maybe. Not sure...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: