You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: New House, New Haunt?

Real Ghost Stories

New House, New Haunt?

 

I would like to get someone's opinion as to what's going on in my house. My boyfriend and I just bought our first house in May. We've been living in it for 2 weeks now and there has been non-stop activity since. Whether it be paranormal or not, I would really like someone's help!

The first thing I've noticed is the footsteps. All day and night long, you can hear what seems to be someone pacing in the attic. At first, I believed it just to be an older house creaking but now, I'm not too sure. It's really sounds like someone with heavy boots on walking back and forth. Occasionally, we'll hear the stairs from the second floor to the first floor creak as if someone is walking down and up them. There is also constant shadows that you will see out of the corner of your eye, but once you turn your head, disappear.

The first time that something really strange happened was about a week after we moved in. We were sitting on the couch watching some television after work when all of a sudden, something really got our attention. Right above our heads there was the loudest, bellowing scratching sound that lasted about 2 minutes. At first, we both thought "Oh goodness, we have pests in our walls" and got an inspection; that came back with a clean bill of health for our house. No rats, no termites, nothing. No sign of them either.

The one thing that is really puzzling me is what I came home to on Monday. Little background for you: My boyfriend and I have a table and chair set that really is just for entertaining and decorative reasons. We live a very active lifestyle and hardly ever have time at home, let alone sit down at the dining room table and eat. Anyway, I came home from the gym on Monday and walked to the back door to let my doggies inside. They ran straight for the living room which is kind of strange for them. Usually, their first mission when I get home from the gym is to lick every inch of sweat off my legs (rather strange, I know, but I love them!). As I was walking out to see what was troubling them, I seen that the chair in the dining room was pulled away from the table, as though someone either was about to sit down or they just got up. I have no idea why but this startled me quite a bit. I called up my boyfriend to ensure that he didn't move the chair (he didn't) and spent quite a bit of time trying to debunk that my dogs moved to or ran into it some how. As far as I could tell, no one in our house moved it.

My doggies are starting to notice the strange occurances as well. Many of times I've caught them just barking at something at the top of the stairs or whining and cowarding. I was thinking for a while maybe it was just the stress of a new place, but again, with everything strange going on, maybe they're picking up on something I'm not.

It's probably just my imagination because I am so freaked out by the footsteps that I am mentally manifesting something, right? Maybe I'm looking too much into something that's not there? I could really use some help with this!

Thank you, kindly, for reading!

Other hauntings by Kimmie_Ann

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kimmie_Ann, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
At Scbsd:

The dogs liked to lick the sweat off of the posters legs as most dogs do. I think you got that mixed up.

To Kimmie: Just curious; how old is this house and have you done any research on it or it's previous owners?

Thanks, zeta.
Scbsd (guest)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
Scythe, I am sorry, but dogs do not perspire/sweat.

They "sweat" through the pads of their feet and through their tongues in order to cool off (the panting thing), but they do not have sweat glands in their body skin like humans (and horses) do.
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Kimmie_Ann:

Since you asked, this link provides good information on how to go about looking up the history of your house and/or property:

Http://www.preservationnation.org/resources/faq/historic-homes/where-can-i-find-guidance-on.html

In general, your town or city should have deed and land records. Try the local library or the town/city hall 😊

Animals are wonderful indicators of spiritual activity, and will alert you right away if it's malicious. I've had dogs hear something and remain very calm, even curious, until the energy approached us - then they would go beserke. Not afraid, but protective. Barking "Excuse me, sir, but I would prefer if you come no closer." 😆 Thank you for sharing - keep us updated!
Scythe (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Dogs like to like sweat as it is salty.

That's one mystery solved.
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
Kimmie_Ann: We are co-existing peacefully with them now. So I hope you and yours will be like mine. Goodluck!

Javelina: I agree with you bout' the dog's behavior but sometimes when the 'presence' is just plain overwhelming, most dogs will whine or hide especially little dogs or puppies.
Kimmie_Ann (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-04)
Javelina,

Thanks for the insight on dog's behavior when it comes to the paranormal! It would be very unlike them to coward away from any threat to me so you're probably right about them hearing a high-pitched sound or something! 😁

Ivory,

I'll do my best to keep updating if anything noteworthy happens. 😁 I'm so sorry you, your family and your kitty went through that trama! I hope things have gotten better for you since then!

Thanks everyone! ❤
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-01)
Kimmie_Ann: keep it up and post more about your 'unseen' resident and if he/she or they are existing peacefully with you and your family.

If the "unseen' suddenly turns nasty tell them to stop or else they are not allowed to be in your house and around you & your family.

When an 'unseen' in our home suddenly turns malicious and decided to string-hung my cat (the one in The Last Goodbye And The Unseen). I managed to save my cat and I turn ballistic on the 'unseens' and create a ruckus. Cursing and swearing in 4 languages I know (Tagalog, English, Spanish, and French). I even threaten to throw them out of our house if they ever did that to my cat or to any pet of mine. There are only two of us in the house at that time. Me and my younger sister, and up until now my sister swear that she never hung my cat on the cord or even try doing it.

I'm not trying to scare you but you should also set a limit on how much level they could co-exist with you. Ask nicely and remember that once in their past/history they also have a living body where their spirit lived, so offer some respect as well
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-01)
There have been many times where I have read that someone's dogs had acted in this manner, cowering and whining, or acting scared of something you cannot see or hear. I am a complete and total dog lover, my mother raised pedigree Great Danes. I have to say that the behavior you describe is more often the result of a high pitched sound that only they can hear, not because they see something you cannot. I can tell you from experience that dogs are more likely to go into an attack stance, tail out or up, hair rising along their back, focussed on what they see and ready to pounce. They are more likely to let out a growl from deep within their gut, baring their fangs, rather than try and hide from an unseen visitor in your home. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule, as I am sure others have experienced. However, in my experience, my dogs would go to the mat for me and mine with no prodding whatsoever.
Just sayin''...

Jav 😊
themiss (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
This is really strange because I've had similar experiences in the house my family currently lives in. Especially the footsteps, we hear them all the time and there's no way it's creaking from floorboards, it's like something is walking on the top level and also walks down the stairs. I would suggest looking into the history of the house, but otherwise it sounds harmless. I'd say wait and see if the things continue and if they do look into it.
Kimmie_Ann (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
Thank you everyone for your comments!

I've had 3 total inspections for rodents on the house when we first bought it but I'm thinking one more with a different company can't hurt, just to make sure there's no pests in my walls. The house was built in 1987 and only had one previous owner.

To be honest, the feelings I'm getting, while at first very startling, but nevertheless don't feel malicious. I did take your advice, Ivory, and told them last night that I don't mind them here and as long as we can live together peacefully, they're welcome to stay.

I have no idea where to begin to start researching the land. Any advice on that?

Again, thank you all for weighing in and giving me your help!
smixie (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
It sounds to me that there are other residents in your home besides you and your boyfriend. The doggies really seem to be behaving as if there is. Do you feel threatened by the entity? Do you mind it being there? Think through these things and that will determine what steps you should take. To me it doesn't sound too threatening. If it bothers you though a cleanse may be in order. As mizmimi said the user Rook on here has a thorough cleanse that seems to work well.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
Sounds like the activity is harmless so far. How old is the house? Do you know anything about the previous owners? It would be interesting to know if they experienced the same thing. There is, incidentally, a case on the books where a buyer successfully sued a seller for failing to disclose ghostly activity in the home, so technically, the courts have recognized paranormal phenomena. The previous owners may not be too forthcoming, but if you assure them you just want to get to the bottom of it (and not sue), they may be helpful. Good luck. Oh, and BTW, the dogs licking your legs thing isn't so strange. It's the salt they're after. My cat and my birds have been known to do it as well.
out2getu (14 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
to me that definatley sounds like you have something in your house but I'm only 14 so what do I know get some paranormal investigators to come and sort out your house if that doesn't work then get someone to bless your house then they will leave you alone or they should xxx from out2getu xxxx
JosephC (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
Kimmie_Ann - Yes, I think MizMiMi02 is right. You should check for possible entries where local wildlife might slip in. Also checking out the history of the house might be helpful.

As for your dogs, animals are very sensitive to paranormal activity, and they can often "sense" or see things we can't. So if they continue to act that way, it might be a sign that something paranormal is, indeed, happening there.

Good luck with it. And remember, that this kind of activity is usually harmless, and there's probably nothing to be afraid of.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
First off, I would start by investigating the house from top to bottom. I know you recently moved in, and an inspection should have been done. But, it's always good to check for signs of entry for rodents, coons, possum etc.

2nd I would look up any information on the house that might be helpful. Don't forget the land as well. The house might might be perfectly fine, but the land might not be, and vice versa.

3rd, I would use Rook's method just in case there is a resident, and it tries to get tricky on you. Good luck to ya. 😊
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
hi Kimmie_Ann!... Well some house who already have 'unseen' resident in their are often like that. It seems like they want to know if their new 'living' resident would accept them or not. As long as they don't harm you, your boyfriend and your pets ignore them and have a mutual existence with them.

When we first live in our home, our 'unseens' here manifest a lot. They hide things, scratch on walls and headboards even under the bed, apparitions, turn the light on/off and often use our bathroom, but as time goes by we learn to live peacefully with them although my mom told me that one of our 'unseens' talk to her in her dream and my mom told 'her' that "they' could co-exist with us as long as they 'lie low'. And after that you could only feel them when a new tenant comes to live in our home.

Try to talk to 'them' in your head and politely tell then that they could live with you and your family as long as they won't disturb you and your loved ones.

Keep us posted please! Thanks~

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: