You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghost In The Hall

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost In The Hall

 

This is a fairly short story, but I thought it may be interesting to share. Growing up we lived on an old indian burial ground. Now I know there is a few people on here that think Indian burial grounds are not haunted. Well I am here to tell you they are sadly mistaken.

When I was about 8 years old me and our live in baby sitter had went to my cousins home so my baby sitter could also babysit my cousins children. We lived just across the yard from them so we walked over and back. It was around 12 am when we got back to my house. My baby sistter got ready for bed and told me to do the same. She went ahead and got in the bed, we slept in the same room because we did not have enough bed rooms for her to have her own. I brushed my teeth and walked out of the bathroom toward my bedroom.

Our hall was not very long, so I didn't have far to walk, when I walked right up to something in the hall standing there. I was face to face with it, althought it did not have a face; it just had a blank white space. It was a whole person with clothes on. I stood there frozen in fear, and I could see inside my mom and dads rooms and I could see in the room where my nephew that lived with us slept and they were all in bed. I could also see my baby sitter in our room and she was seeing what I was seeing... Her eyes were really big... Finally I took off running and jumped in the bed with my baby sitter and stuffed myself between her and the wall. She said; 'what was that?'

I think I may have wet the bed that night... I sure was not going back to the bathroom. Oh it was gone when we turned and looked back. I could not tell really well what type of clothes it had on, but I know it had some on.

This is only one of many stories. I will post more later.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Mississippi

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Barbie1637, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Barbie1637 (1 stories) (34 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-04)
            In the early 1800s, a few Choctaw families began burying their loved ones in exactly the same way as their Anglo-American neighbors.  Others began practicing a new form of burial "Fabvssa Halat Akkachi', or "the Pull-Pulling Ceremony" (Cushman 1899:228).  Although bone-picking was not a part of it, the new ceremonies were lead by the same people who had formerly been bone pickers.  They were now called "Hattak Illi Chohpa", which refers to their role in serving the funeral feast.  Instead of placing a deceased person on a scaffold, as had been done previously, they buried him or her in the ground in a sitting position.  Six red-painted poles were stuck vertically in the ground around the grave.  One of these was taller than the others and had a white flag tied to the top.  Family members came to the graveside daily to mourn.  When a sufficient time had passed, the poles were pulled out of the ground and placed in the woods.  As in earlier times, a large feast was held, after which the family ceased to mourn.  Pull-pulling was practiced by some Oklahoma Choctaw into at least the 1840s (Benson 1860:294-295), and by some Choctaw communities in Mississippi into the 1880s. 

Http://www.choctawnationculture.com/choctaw-culture/iti-fabvssa/0212-choctaw-burial-practice.aspx
Barbie1637 (1 stories) (34 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-06-04)
Oh and no, we never dug up any bones... Thank God... I figure someone will ask this so I thought I would go ahead and answer,, My dad never dug that deep and never attempted to... 😊
Barbie1637 (1 stories) (34 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-06-04)
Hi Lou, while I appreciate your theory, we did indeed live on a burial ground... Well it was more a few feet over to the right, where my dad planted his garden. This land was purchased well before 1966... My great grandmother and one of her husbands bought it around the end of the 1930s... It was on the outskirts of Enterprise Ms and Patchuta Ms... Pretty much dead in the middle of the two. We lived in the community of SouInlovie... Here is a link to a site that gives you a little history on the area, Souinlovie and the Choctaw Indians... My dad was forever digging up arrow heads, broken clay pots and all kind of crazy stuff...

Under Apushmataha, signed the famous treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. Under this treaty, most of the Indians left for Oklahoma in the infamous Trail of Tears. A few of the Indians hesitated to leave their beloved homeland where the bones of their ancestors had rested for so many decades...
Http://www.oocities.org/hattiesburg_history/enterprise.html 😊 😊
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-04)
Hi, Barbie.

Although I truly believe that you were told that your house was situated on an Indian Burial Ground, it is unlikely. If a house was constructed after 1966 on a burial ground, it would be torn down and the people who constructed it would likely face jail time. If the house was constructed prior to 1966, and as you have stated, it was a known burial ground, it would have been so protected by the federal government, you likely would have needed a presidential pardon to plant a vegetable garden. I think someone may have mislead you on this point.
Another hint is that the predominant tribe in Mississippi was the Choctaw Indians, who used to put their dead on scaffold-like structures until they rotted and then separated the bones from the flesh and stored the bones in above ground storage structures, and burnt the remaining flesh. So again, it is unlikely that native amaericans of the area would have used the land to bury their dead.

Your account is still relevant and your experience was still compelling... I do not discount your ordeal, just the potential cause of it.

Lou
Barbie1637 (1 stories) (34 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-06-03)
I only glanced at the clothes because I was frozen in fear... Lol it seemed to have something on that looked like shorts... But I know that's not indian... But like I said I was pretty much staring in its face and then ran really fast...lol...It was indeed very scary... I think I was even to scared to pass out...lol...thank God I never seen it again... But I seen and heard a lot more I will be posting soon...

😊
Andrea22 (5 stories) (65 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-02)
Wow that's shocking! I probably would be passing out if I saw that. I don't know how my body would take it. Do you remember at all if the person had Indian like clothes on? That would really be freaky. Old burial grounds definitely produce this kind of thing. When I was growing up we lived near the Tennessee/Georgia border, where pretty much anywhere could have been an old forgotten burial ground of the Civil War. I think our house was built over the unmarked sight of a battle, and probably the graves of soldiers who died in it. I never saw anything but my mom, and dad, used to hear the sounds of a battle when they opened the windows on Summer nights.:O

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: