You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Photographs / Videos / EVP :: The Ghost Of Ickworth House

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost Of Ickworth House

 

Ickworth House is a centuries manor house in Suffolk, England. I visited there with my parents the other day and I saw no ghosts at the house but I took many pictures (300) and at one point I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be odd if I caught a ghost on camera?" It was just a fleeting thought but it came true. I will attatch the picture but I would just like to tell everybody that it was not the reflection of the sun because there were no windows behind me, it was not a person running past me because there was nobody next to me let alone running and it was not just a blurred object because this is not a blurry picture.

I thought about ghosts whilst in this room and as I was leaving I saw a portrait of a young woman with curly brown hair and for some really I was very much drawn to it. Comparing the "ghost photo" to the portait I saw I believe that this girl was the ghost.

The Ghost Of Ickworth House

After researching I found that there have been a few reports of ghosts over the years at Ickworth but I have concluded that my ghost is a different one.

When I took the picture a few times I thought I saw someone next to me in the corner of my eye but when I turned around to look fully there was nobody at all there. There was nobody behind me either except for a middle aged man who was accounted for in the photo.

Once you have viewed this photo I would love to hear what you think of it and if you have any experiences of Ickworth. I promise that all of this is true and that I have not faked that photo.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sydnisan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-18)
Ergh this pic is photoshopped.

So I've been perusing some old pics and this one near fooled me. But check the right corner of the mirror where the painting on the chimney breast meets it's frame. The painting's frame 'repeats'. So too the paisley pattern on the wallpaper aligned with the 'repeated' frame (directly above frame) doesn't match with the rest of the wallpaper. In that small section it looks like the house was wallpapered by a numpty and the painting hung over another painting.
Found some pics of this room online, dig it:

Https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/06/a7/fc/8c/ickworth-house.jpg

Https://www.artfund.org/assets/what-to-see/museums-and-galleries/h-j/ickworth-house-park-and-gardens/ickworth-g4.jpg

I call BS on this. Probably just as well the OP never commented.
Darn I got so excited about this photo for minute!
publicways (32 posts)
-3
6 years ago (2017-12-11)
ha! I don't see a anything unusual. You're dealing with an older gentleman here that doesn't see that well. What am I supposed to be looking for sir?
Memke5 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
Ickworth house is haunted, my dads been there a few times on work, he heard from the cleaners they have seen women in the corridors and there was a haunted room, it had a weird smell which they could'nt get rid off! 😭
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-21)
I'm not doubting that the picture is real or that you have purposely faked it... However I'm also not sure the the pic is a ghost I have to agree with the others that it's an exposure/light reflexion. If you look at the back of the 'spirits' head there's light reflecting off it! As I say I'm not doubting you personally but I think it's possibly something else... If your completely sure that it is a spirit then it really is SOMETHING ELSE... 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-21)
One think I have noticed... And wanted to ask about... Just what were you trying to take a picture of?

Was the picture 'cropped' just to focus on the corner that has the 'figure' in it?

The reason I ask is because the more I look at this picture, the more it looks like you were aiming at the bottom corner of the mirror. So unless you were attempting for a real 'artsy' picture of the Paintings on the opposite wall I'm wondering if you didn't set a longer 'exposure' time and have someone 'step out' of the picture creating the effect we see.

I am officially on the fence concerning this photo and I hope the O/P comes back and provides more information.

Respectfully,

Rook
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-21)
sydnisan: I can see the figure quite clearly, I just had a thought is it possible that the corners of this mirror are convexed or concaved? If so it is possible it was picking up a light source or something or someone else in the room that wasn't in that direct line near you. Just something else to think about! 😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-20)
It is definitely not blurry, but I wonder how long of an exposure it took. It wouldn't take long for a person to step forward, or slightly aside as Rook mentioned for that figure to appear. To me, it looks like a man with short hair who had his back to your camera as you were taking the picture. He could have even slowly walked to the side or forward (which in the reflection would be away) to achieve such a blurry image. I've experimented with my camera before and took very ghostly images simply by slowly walking past the camera with a longer exposure (slower shutter speed).

If you're certain that the only two people in that area were yourself and the man in the mirror, then I really don't know! Like some of the others said, it would be one of the most clear ghost photos taken in a while. Either way, looks like you had a good time! 300 pictures is quite a bit! 😊
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-20)
Sydnisan,

Thank you for sharing your story and photo.

I can obviously tell you took the photo with your phone, and I must say is a very interesting shot. I can definitely tell there's something there, but I can't make out the figure whether is male or female. But for sure you captured something.

Thanks again for sharing and if you come across another strange picture please keep us updated.

Looney
mrfear672india (106 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-20)
picture is not clear not easy to identify. What do you used to take that picture?
A mobile or digital camera.

Did you got anything in remaining photographs?

Take care...
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-20)
I see the picture... Although its seems very much like you I see a girl in white with short hair... Unlike you who has longer hair than the girl in the reflection! Does anyone else see the same?

So I am not sure what to make of this... Not that I am doubting you:)

Regards,
Logan
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-20)
I can actually make out the shoulders, neck, and head. I think the spirit wanted to know how it feels to get a quick picture, instead of sitting for hours to get painted haha (just playing). I enjoyed the story and picture.

Thank you for sharing 😁
ada (4 stories) (44 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-19)
It is simular to you with a flash of light but then again I could be wrong... Its hard to tell but good pic!
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-19)
of course it could also have been a ghost. I haven't seen too many pictures of apparitions that bold in color before. They are mostly orbs or faded out.

Thank you for sharing!
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-19)
It kind looks like your reflection in the mirror. I think the reflection of you standing was on the window and it was again reflected into the mirror. It mataches your coloring to the T
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-19)
sydnisan,
I am just happy I can see it. Thank you for sharing this photo. I can see the ghost, but it is difficult to make out if it is a male or female there. I can't decide.

Jav 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-06-19)
sydnisan,

Thank you for sharing this experience and photo with us. I agree it's interesting, but (there's always at least one isn't there?) I want ask something...

I can agree it's not a 'sun flare'. I can also agree it's not someone running past you, nor is it a blurred object, but is there a chance that someone started to walk in front of you from your left and realized you were taking a picture and stepped back out that same way?

Respectfully,

Rook
Siskakes (4 stories) (68 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-19)
OMG! That's amazing! Did you capture anything else in your other 300 photo's?
EmoVio (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-19)
Is the picture really true? It's looks real- too real for me to have nothing to say for that.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: