You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Headless In Indiana

Real Ghost Stories

Headless In Indiana

 

The following is pretty short... But very very strange! There aren't that many details for me to tell because it was only a moment, but enough to be shocking and always remembered. It's actually something that happened to my father. He told me about a ghost, or whatever it might have been, that he saw when he was a kid. Knowing my father, he doesn't usually get caught up in this kind of thing. I believe this was the only time he ever mentioned a paranormal experience. So I knew that there really was something up with what he saw.

He grew up in Gary, Indiana, in the 1960's. His mother was single parent who always had to work, so he spent a lot of time walking around the city with his brothers. Of course it was a lot safer of a place back then. But apparently not in the paranormal realm! He said things got strange when he walked near the railroad tracks. The other day we were on google earth and he showed me the spot where it happened. It was near a hospital, a school and a railroad. He said he looked up and there, coming down the sidewalk, was a man with no head. Plain and simple... No joke... Just a man without a head.

He didn't say it looked horrific or bloody. It was just a normal looking body, but it stopped at the neck. As if this poor person had been murdered very cleanly, without much gore. I guess it walked away (or he ran away!) and he never saw it again. My guess is that someone had been killed on the railroad tracks but, if that was the case, I would think it would have looked a lot more bloody. Maybe someone who died at the hospital? Who knows!

Does a spirit use their eyes? Would it be a blind spirit if it's head was gone? Or does that not apply in the spirit world? It baffles me!

Other hauntings by Andrea22

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Andrea22, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-13)
Hi, Freaky Story love it and You say by rail road train track it could be by what happen to him I mean the headless ghost may lost his head by ran over train just a suggust.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-06)
I've never seen a headless figure, and I don't feel the lack. There is a story of a headless biker in Ohio, but it's not near where I'm from.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-06)
Andrea, that IS freaky. I have seen some odd things but never a headless entity.

I once saw a youngish man in torn and bloody clothing. He was coming toward me and was right up next to me before he registered on my visual radar. I turned around and he was gone! It was on a busy city street, and no one else seemed to notice him.

Another time I saw what can only be described as a ghoulish person in a dark gray shroud, with a very pale face and cloudy eyes. It was not Halloween. It was about dusk in a remote corner of an otherwise busy square. Same thing. I turned around and it was gone.

I've always wondered...
Andrea22 (5 stories) (65 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-06)
[at] Argette He described it as coming towards him, so I don't think it was just an older person with a low hanging head.That's the freaky part!
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-06)
It makes a huge difference whether your father saw this "person" from the front or the back. There is a neck condition - arthritis, perhaps - that causes the neck to bend so much that the head rests (or hangs) at a 90-degree angle. I have seen elderly men and some women with this condition and from the rear, it does look as though they have no head. This is one explanation, and one a young boy might not recognize.
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-06)
Hi Andrea22, wow... Your poor father. I must admit that I would have run like hell if it was me. I totally agree with DARKNESS on what he replied. I just would like to add that ghosts can be tracked down so far in history that it can almost sometimes be impossible to come to term on what really happened there if there's no history to trace. Ghosts can manifest in many different ways. Sometimes I get the feeling they want to send out a message with the way they manifesting themselves.

Something familiar happened to my niece once. He was on his way back home from our place. He said that he traveled alongside an open field about a block from his house when a headless grey entity ran from the field right to his car and actually chased after him until he turned into the street away from the field. He said he was scared to death and will never go on that road again during the night.

My explanation on what happened with your father might be a residual haunting-meaning that whatever happened there left an imprint and repeats it from time to time. The difference within my nieces' experience is that something tried to stop him that night.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your fathers experience. Take care. Trix.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
Ghosts communicate with the living in a lot of differant ways so I have no doubt that a headless ghost could communicate, telepathically, psychically, dreams, subconcious, etc etc etc the list goes on. I'm sure your father was very freaked out at the time, its not something you see everyday now is it! Lol!

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Barbie1637 (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-03)
Very interesting story... And that is a good question... I would think maybe they have some kind of physic thing and don't need eyes... But I could very well be wrong... It would be very freaky to see a headless person coming at you...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: