You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Random Shadow In My Backyard

Real Ghost Stories

Random Shadow In My Backyard

 

This incident occurred last week, when I was home alone (of course!). It was about 7:30 or so in the evening. The sun was beginning to set. I was sitting in the living room on the couch facing the kitchen. My mom was going to be home soon, so I had the back door opened with the glass door shut. The way the back of our house is set up is if you look into the kitchen, you can see out of our bay window into the backyard. On the right side of the window is our door. If you go out the door and turn right, you will see the gate we use to get out of our backyard. Our backyard is tiny! It's also fenced in by privacy fence, with locks on the gates. The other gate is padlocked, which is to the left of the windows.

Anyway, from the couch you can see the doors and windows. I also had the blinds open for natural sunlight to come in. I was watching my puppies play on the other end of the couch when my older dog stops playing and looks at the door. This made me look up too, thinking that my mom was about to come in. As soon as I looked up, a figure passed by the door headed towards the gate we use. My dog saw it too, and started to bark. He doesn't ever bark either, which is weird. He used to, a lot, at our old house but he never does now at our new one.

At first I was thinking it was my imagination, even though I knew the dog was barking. I jumped up, though, and looked out the back door (I don't even know where this courage came from. I am the FIRST to hide from anything, haha). There was no one there. Anywhere. They wouldn't have had time to exit the gate either because our handle on there is so difficult and the gate drags the concrete walkway. After that I shut and locked the door and closed the blinds. I still don't know what I saw. I do know that I saw something like a person pass by the door. The figure was like a shadow and human shaped. I also know that my dog saw it too, which creeps me out. I would normally blame this on my "imagination", but it's hard to convince a dog to imagine things as well!

Also, something I forgot to mention, my house faces west. So when the sun sets the fenced in part of our backyard gets dark first; therefore, there are no shadows being cast directly into the backyard.

My question is, are shadow people usually evil? I didn't have a "sense" or anything from this figure. Perhaps it was just passing through. But I'm curious as to what exactly shadow people are. Thank you for reading!

Other hauntings by lcturner3

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lcturner3, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

lcturner3 (3 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
I have asked God to not allow anything in my house that would harm me. I haven't seen the shadow since. I used to get scared easily in my home, like someone was watching me. But since about a week after I saw the shadow those feelings have changed completely. I'm glad to know that they're usually harmless. Thank you all SO much!
MarieDRose (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-06)
Shadows usally are not evil that is just how the spirt is able to make it self visible. Although if you fell uncomfortible you can always have your house blessed.
robertar (223 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
If you ask God to let no unclean spirit come into you home, then you don't need to worry about discerning which are which.

I'm not sure anyone can really tell you whether most are evil, or most or not. How does one determine? And going by what you feel from them: is that reliable? Is it worth being wrong?
Oerath (30 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
I've never met a Shadow Person, though I've had some friends who've seen them, but my research has suggested that by and large they are harmless. There are some stories of particular Shadow People seeming to feed off of negative energy or fear, and whose very precense is terrifying; but they are rare, and never seem to do actual harm. Most of the time Shadow People seem to simply be there to watch, and theories as to their nature vary, though most agree that they are not ghosts of the traditional variety. It may linger around you for some time, in which case they usualy seem to atract others of their kind, or this may be the only time you see it. Shadow People are a frequently reported, but little understood phenomena.
Andrea22 (5 stories) (65 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
The part about your dog barking is really weird! I was always kind of on the fence about this kind of thing. I knew that sometimes people's imaginations can play tricks on them (mine included)...but then again I felt it was a little ridiculous if I claimed I knew for sure that there were no real spirit encounters. But now, seeing that you are at least the fifth person I've seen on here claiming their dog got upset too,I'm starting to believe it more! Animals have no bias... They just take what is... And it makes sense that they could see things like this. It doesn't sound harmful in your case... Just be careful though if you notice a bad energy!
caitlinmooneyx (2 stories) (9 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
I don't know much about 'shadow people', but I remember watching an episode of A Haunting a good few years ago, and there was one girls story, and she was friends with a 'shadow person' for years, he never once harmed her, then one day he dissapeared. So, it's probably nothing sincere.
Your story is extremely intriguing but, I hope you find out who they are!
luckkyme (6 stories) (63 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-04)
Hey lcturner3, that is creepy! Haha, From what I have read, typically shadow people are not evil, but I would imagine that doesn't necessarily go for all shadow people. As long as it does not continue showing itself more boldly, I would think you are probably okay. I am by no means an expert or even have half the experience as other posters here, but I certainly hope its nothing more serious. But still very creepy especially to be home by yourself! Thanks for sharing!

Rea:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: