You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Room At The Back Of The House

Real Ghost Stories

The Room At The Back Of The House

 

I have been looking through this site for a little while now, and I have finally decided to share my story. I'm not really looking for advice, but if you have any input I'd be glad to hear it. You never can have too much information when to comes to things like this.

I want to start off with an introduction. I am a 22 year old female that resides in Mississippi, but my heart is in Louisiana. I was raised in a family of Catholic, Cajuns, so the belief in the paranormal was something that almost everyone in the family (minus my father) had. Because my mother's family (who I was raised around) was from the backwoods and swamps of Louisiana voodoo, magic, spirits, and demons all existed in my family's world, and I as a child was (unfortunately) very aware of these things.

Even as a child I was very aware of the paranormal. I would tell my mother about the "nice lady in the pretty flowered dress" that I would see and talk to. There was even a very mean man whose face I couldn't see, but I just knew he had to have a very mean face because he was so cruel. I often saw things out of the corner of my eye, or I would tell my mother of the things that happened to me at night or at other peoples' houses. She tried for the longest time to tell me it was bad dreams or just my imagination, but she finally realized I was being honest and could not ignore it anymore.

My grandmother was the most supportive of my abilities. She never let me think that I was bad, or that I was wrong in some way. She pushed me to talk about things. The sad thing was that when I began to be more open to the paranormal I gained a new respect and fear of things that went bump in the night.

I really have digressed since this is not a story about my past. It is a story about my present and the new home that I now live in. The house isn't too terribly old. It was built in the 1940's or 1950's. It was one of the cookie cutter houses that were so popular at the time. There have only been two families to live here (supposedly only one, but we found out that really it was two). There was a family that lived here a few years (not sure how many) and then the couple that we bought it from. They added another room to the back of the house, and that is the room that has caused me many sleepless nights.

My parents bought this house for my best friend and I to rent. We were both students at USM Hattiesburg. It was a convenient location and the people seemed sweet at first. By the time we bought the house we realized something just wasn't right with the older couple who had raised their children here. We moved in, and from the beginning I knew something wasn't right. We would sleep out in the living room (because we didn't have furniture), and I would watch the shadows move unnaturally through the house. It all originated from the back room that had been added.

That room was going to be fixed up. In order to do that, things had to be ripped up. My parents, the owners, started to demo the room. We ripped out walls, ceiling, and floors. In the wall of the closet we found something that made me very uneasy. There was a pile of razor blades about two and a half feet tall and about a foot wide in the walls. After tearing everything up, the noises and shadows became worse, and the worst feeling of dread I had ever experienced washed over me. Whatever was in that room was mad that we had torn up the room.

My roommate started a new job working the night shift a few months after we had moved into the house. I was left alone in what I had come to realize was a haunted house, at night, alone save with my two dogs. There were nights were I would wake up and someone was walking around in the house or talking. The dogs would be staring at the door and growling. (Keep in mind they are used to spirits. I have a little girl that follows me wherever I go because of something I own. The dogs don't mind her a bit). Finally one night we hear a big bang and crash. I jumped up, grabbed something heavy to hit with (just in case it was an intruder), and ran out the door, one of the dogs on my tail. There was nothing there. When I started to look I realized one of the toys for our dogs was not in the hall way. It was lying in the middle of the kitchen floor, and hovering around the back room was a dark shadow. Along with this incident there were a few others. I always wanted someone to be around when I went back there because I was scratched and grabbed while in that room, and a friend of mine (who is much like me when it comes to ghosts/demons/voodoo) was scratched badly when she went in. The "man" in the room was angry and dangerous.

I saged and salted the room, many a night (and even some days) I stood at the door and drew a line of salt telling whatever was in that room that it was not welcome and would not be allowed to enter the house. There were some nights where I knew that it was powerful because it would cross the salt line, but I would just go back, draw my line and repeat myself. Eventually I began to feel a little more at ease. The other ghosts of the house (Dot, and another man who won't tell us his name, and my little girl) tended to be more relaxed after that. We only had one last issue with that back room, and then it was fixed up by my father and uncle. The room no longer scares me as bad, but when I'm home alone at night I still find myself avoiding the vicinity of that room, and I try to NEVER have my back to that door.

Our new roommate has never had a bad experience. In my opinion (two of my friends agree with me) that the man did not belong to the house. He somehow got in with something that was in the room (we found some really weird things when we demoed the room) and when everything was gone there was nothing binding him here, so he left. All I know is I hope he never comes back, and better safe than sorry when it comes to the back of the house.

Other hauntings by The_Raven

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Mississippi

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, The_Raven, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
I see that Rook and Jav have been helpful as always. I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the story and I look foward to hearing about more of your experiences.

Thank you for sharing
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
Yep! That's your answer. I remember wondering about where the razors were going when I was a kid. I also recall the first time I shaved my legs with one of those razors. I still have that scar! Those things were brutal!

Jav 😆
The_Raven (2 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
Javelina, I didn't know about that. That probably would explain the razors because the wall that we found them in backed up to what was a full bathroom but was turned into a bathroom/washroom before we bought it.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
I think I can help calm your fears about the razor blades in the wall. Back when I was a kid there weren't any disposable type razors like they have today. The razors were the type that you had to change the blade yourself. That meant you had to dispose of the old blade. In the older homes, if they haven't switched out the old style bathroom mirror/medicine cabinets, you will find a slot inside said cabinet where we would drop the used blades into. Now, no one really considered where they would end up, and there was no way to get at them without tearing the cabinet and wall down. But if you think about how many years those blades were being put in there, it makes sense that the pile was so high.

Jav
The_Raven (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-07)
Rook--Thank you. I'll definitely have to try that.

Oerath--Everything hasn't fully stopped because there are other spirits who reside here, and there's a lingering feeling around that back room.

Girlie--I'll definitely try to submit some stories about the other ghosts. I can tell you about "my little girl". She's connected to some items I have that a friend gave me. I carry those items with me whenever I move. I'll have to write on her. I even have some friends who have stayed over and can feel her.

Thank you all for the comments.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-07)
I want to hear more about the nice ghost and the little girl that follows you and how you know why she does. Have you ever asked her? Anyway I'm glad that things haven turned down... Why not try to find the people you brought the house from and see if they had the same things happen to them or if they know the reason it started.
GIRLIE ❤
Oerath (30 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-07)
Sounds like you have everything well in hand. Sounds to me like an object attachment, what with all the wierd items found and the fact that it seems to have completely ceased now. Usually if a remodel stirs something up, it will settle down when the remodel is done, but not usually completely stop. Thank you for the detailed and interesting story!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-07)
Remodeling a home, or a room in a home can stir up activity as the 'spirits' do not want their environment changed. You also pointed out that there were some strange things found in the room but now that they are gone and the work finished the activity seems to be stopping. This is good news, however a full 'exchange' of atmosphere and energy could go a long way to ensuring that the 'male spirit' that was so 'mean' is truly gone. Please feel free to try this...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Thank you for sharing this experience with us.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: