You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Protector Or Problem?

Real Ghost Stories

Protector Or Problem?

 

Ever since my littlest sister was born, my family and I have been seeing, hearing and even smelling this entity. As I type this I smell the same familiar smell, almost woody and natural; like cover scent you spray on before hunting in the hardwoods. Anyway, my family consists of 5 people. My mother, father, middle sister, youngest sister, and myself (being the oldest). My littlest sister is now 12 and I think shes aware of it, but just acts as if its nothing.

It all started when she was a toddler, walking around, talking gibberish, like any 1 1/2 year old would do. Well at the time, I was sitting in the living room watching TV (I was about 11) and from the living room you can see down into the kitchen to the right and also the dining room to the left and the front foyer was connected to the dining room. My mother was in the kitchen and I saw my old dog Ian (he was lab and some other kind of dog mix; a mutt) come through the front foyer and stop dead in his tracks. Also about that time my little sister came toddling around and got knocked down by Ian because he wouldn't move he just stared under the dining room table and started growling and literally pushing my sister back and about that time my mother came to pick up her up and she kept pointing under the table just talking. I got up and grabbed Ian and had to basically throw him outback because he started getting aggressive and was biting at my mom and I when we tried to cross into the dining room.

A few months passed and I was again, in the living room watching TV. Mom was washing dishes when all of a sudden, she threw a plate down and was doing some crazy dance as if a spider fell on her and she was screaming vulgar words and saying things like "move on! Go to the light! Your not welcome here!" Then she got herself together and finished washing dishes. I never asked her what she felt and why, but I assume its kind of how I feel. Like its right next to me, in my space.

About a week later, I was sleeping in my two sisters room (they shared a room at the time) and my mom was checking on my littlest sister, and about that time my middle sister shot up and kept saying "mom...MOM!" and mom then asked "what?". My sister proceeded to question "Is dad home?" and mom told her no, that he was out on call for work and won't be back for another couple of days. My sister then said "Well who's that man in your room?" I'm sure my mom went pale hearing that and almost didn't want to look, but when she did there was nothing and she told my sister this. I don't remember saying this but my sister and mother swear by it. They said I woke up from a deep sleep and said "That's okay, I see him sometimes too." That night, my mom slept in my sisters room with us.

A few months later, my father was called out to work for a night or two and that made me the man of the house, only being what? 12 or 13? Well I awoke to my mom, she sounded afraid and had a Kimber. 45 in her hand. She told me that my little sister is in her room and for me to get my middle sister and for us to go to her room and lock the door and don't open it unless its a police officer or her. Now, that would freak any kid out but, I got myself together and scooped my middle sister up and walked across the banister to get to moms room. I looked down and saw Ian sitting on the bottom step just staring into the dining room, growling a growl I've never heard before.

Now, let's rewind. That day, I went to school, got home. I did my homework and got ready for Boy Scouts (Yes, I was a Boy Scout) Mom locked up the house, we left and she dropped me off, I did my thing and she went shopping and picked me up later. When we got home, it was dark. We pulled into the garage and the door from the garage to the house was wide open. Mom thought, maybe that she left the door unlocked and partially open and a draft of air caused it to open. Well she told us to stay in the car just in case and proceeded to walk into the living room. The door to the backyard, which was also located in the living room was wide open as well. So mom went and got our neighbor to go through the house with her which turned up nothing.

So, back to following that night; I saw Ian and briskly walked into moms room and locked the door. I heard the doorbell ring and there were police officers, mom had them inspect everywhere and just said maybe it was an animal but call if we had anymore trouble. We all slept uneasy that night. After these disturbances we called our priest (Roman Catholic) in to bless our house and everything went smoothly. No problems for awhile.

A couple years later, Ian was hit by a car and died, and we were deciding to move further south, for my dad got a promotion and we put the house up on the market. I remember walking down he stairs almost daily and seeing a quick white flash followed by a chill, and also there was a mirror we had right when you walk down the stairs in the foyer. Everyday there would be a dust, but it wasn't dusty, almost misty but dry. Its hard to explain. It drove my mother crazy. There was an air vent under the mirror so maybe that was what was causing it. So, mom went out and bought the air vent covers, but yet it was still dusty. Everyday, like faith.

And when we started showing the house, the entity decided to up the ante. The house smelled. If you ever smelled a dead animal that was left out in the heat bloated and just nasty. That was the exact smell. I remember dad and I getting in jump suits and crawling under the house looking for something dead. We ended up pinpointing the smell, but there was nothing. We climbed into the attic and looked down the shafts. Nothing. It was repulsive, we tried everything to cover it, but the whole house smelled of it. Even the Realtor, a close friend of ours said that is what's making the house not sell. But by an act of God, we got an offer and sold the house. That night, after my parents signed the paper work, mom called my dad over to the foyer. She asked him "do you smell that." And he responded "No." And mom said "exactly, it didn't want us to leave."

We moved into a new house, first owners, everything. Its a ranch style house and pretty spacious. I was 14 or 15 when we moved here and the presence seemed to have followed. It didn't make its appearance known until a year or two after we moved in.

I remember, I just got home from work and was walking by the cabinet that held our dry goods and the door was slightly open. Mom cursed and said "this spirit better have followed us here, because I've closed this closet 5 times today." and I, being the manly man said some vulgar things, taunting it. At that exact moment, the outside speakers turned on. Mom and I just stared at each other and busted out laughing. What else could we do? Dad was gone for work (like always, although it doesn't make its presence known when hes around. Any reasons for this?), my middle sister was in the bath tub and my youngest sister was in her bed asleep. The only way to turn on the speakers is you have to physically open the closet door, power on the speakers and radio, turn it up and set it for outside. I barely know how to do that.

Lately, I've woken up feeling spiritually upset and had a few times where I felt like something has been watching me. More recently, I went to Florida with my girlfriend and her family, my mom and dad went out in the Caribbean on a cruise and my middle sister stuck around the house to watch my youngest.

I had a great time in Florida but about 30 minutes before I got home, my middle sister called me and basically told me to get home as soon as I can. I got home and asked her what was wrong. She went on to tell me that she has felt a presence all day in her space. That doors and cabinets would be open and just weird stuff. Now, my sister is somewhat of a drama queen and I found out that taunting the spirit makes it show itself and again, the manly man syndrome came out and I said a few choice words talking smack to the entity and my sister begged me to stop and I did. She and I changed subjects and I glanced at my little sisters room, she was dead asleep with her door open and the lights off.

About ten minutes later my middle sister looked at me horrified and said "Whys her light on and the door shut?" I looked and her door was completely closed and I could see the light coming from underneath the door. I know I looked like I was about to faint. I busted into her room and she was in her bed sleeping soundly. My middle sister was just bawling and I apologized and I told our new dog Cabella (a German short hair pointer) to kennel (lay down) in her bedroom just to protect her, because she sees it when I feel its presence. My middle sister then cursed at me and asked what did I say? I told her I said "Cabella, kennel." and she cried so hard saying "something called my name clear as day." I slept on a pallet in her room that night to make up for what I put her through.

Around 3 a.m. I awoke to my sister saying my name and she told me to listen. I know I heard footsteps and it was pacing then with a loud bang like someone punched the wall repetitively. Now, my little sister was in her bed. Cabella was in her room and my middle sister was next to me and parents were on a crusie. I locked and loaded my 9mm Beretta and looked all around the house and outside. Nothing.

So, here I am, and this is my story. I know shortly I'm going to need to add more to this because I feel it will always be with me. It hasn't caused harm to me or my family besides my spirit being upset and letting us know of its presence. Any foresight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jahepburn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Oerath (30 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
Very interesting. Might not be the same entity in the new place, the behavior seems different, but it's a little hard to tell. The cleansing ritual Jav posted is a great one, and may be a help to you.

As to why it never manifests around your father, it could be that it doesn't get the sort of attention or response it wants from him. It could also be a facet of your father's... Personality? Mind? I'm not sure exactly how to explain it, but some people exude a sense of denial which can supress lesser entities; not a disbelief necessarily, but a lack of acceptance, a subconscious refusal to allow such entities to affect them.

I am curious as to why you titled it "Protector or Problem?" The experiences in the new house sound merely annoying, perhaps a little amusing, but overall harmless. In fact, it sounds almost like poltergeist activity, not an actual entity at all (and you and your sisters are all in about the right age range). The first house sounds... Not malevolent necessarily, but not good. Dogs are generally a pretty good judge of spritual entities. Either way though, neither sounds like any sort of protector...

Best of luck! Keep us updated!
Jahepburn (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
Thank you all for your insight. Javelina, I don't know why it seems to follow my family around, perhaps this is another spirit? The one that seemed to haunt my old house acted more possessive than the one here at the new house. To answer stephyw2001, Cabella; our dog seems to sense it, but doesn't act hostile. She just perks her head and ears up and follows its movement with her eyes. No barking or growling as if it were an intruder. Now, back to Javelina; it seems to not want anything to do with my dad. Maybe because he just ignores it and laughs at it when stuff happens?
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
This is a really interesting story. I am also intrigued by the fact that it seems to be following you. Does the new dog sense anything?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
The first thing I would be wondering about is why does it seem to follow your family?
The second thing is the way the dogs react to it. I don't like that the dogs are growling the way they do at this entity, that is not a good sign.
Thirdly, why doesn't it show any signs of it's presence when your father is around?
And lastly, the smell. All of this adds up to no good if you ask me.
I'm thinking a good cleansing with Rook's recipe might help here.

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Jav
amedo786kaka (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
Im new to this website, but all the stories here are really interesting. I don't disbeleive them, although a few seem abit over-exegerated...In my relegion (islam) it states that there's a creation called 'jinn' which is invisible. They live their own lives and are not living to interefere with us, as many would think. Its more like they in a 3rd dimension kind of world within ours. Animals are able to see them, and a lot of times children are also able to see them. Sometimes older people can also see them. The reasons for this could be many, so we can only guess... GOD knows best. There are a few of them, like we have with people, who are either the inquisitive or sometimes the interfering kind who will make their presence known, or interfere with people.Relegiously,these who do this are sinners and are exposing themselves to dangers as well, as they are, if you put it in a way that will make us understand, as if putting your feet into very murky water which may contain diseases, or dangerous creatures. There are others who go the extra mile, to physically use peoples bodies for their own purposes, not by killing them, but in our words, posessing them. This is a reality which cannot be denied, as a lot of times it is witnessed. These are rid-off many times and its proven. They are taken out by reading certain quranic verses which are read before the affected person, and many times they are removed forcefully through that, while sometimes they voluntarily come out for the fear of the pain it causes them. It causes them pain as they are in sin by doing what they not supposed to, which makes them impure, and the word of GOD is free from imperfections and thus pure. Those in houses and areas wherein they not supposed to be in, can sometimes be rid off quite easily, while others sometimes prove very difficult to remove which I suppose will be the case with the one mentioned in the above story, as he is there so long, he probably believes that its his dwelling as much as it is yours, or his family as much as its yours... Like for example, say an orphan who was adopted from birth would believe that the foster parents are his biological parents until otherwise explained... And some are better left the way they are as sometimes, like a child would become very rebellious or aggressive when told he's adopted, they may become very upset if they believe something is there's and its snatched away from them...anyways,this is just my input for now. Hope I have explained myself well enough for my invisible friends reading this to understand:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: