You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Slave Girl at the Foot of my Bed

Real Ghost Stories

Slave Girl at the Foot of my Bed

 

Very early on Tuesday morning, July 16, I awoke suddenly for no good reason. There was no noise, no movement, nothing at all that had disturbed my slumber. I don't know what compelled me to do so, but I immediately sat bolt upright and found myself blinking, incredulously, at the shadowy image of a young, African-American woman at the foot of my bed. In the darkness, it was hard to distinguish her features, but I sensed she was smiling at me. She appeared to have a scarf tied around her head and her clothing looked like a loose-fitting blouse and skirt that might have been worn by slave girls during the Civil War.

Disbelieving what my eyes were taking in, I shifted my gaze to the LED clock just beyond the apparition, on my dressing table. It was exactly 3:33 a.m. "I am awake, I know I am not dreaming," I said aloud. And as I spoke, the apparition began to fade very quickly. Within two seconds, all that remained was a white, misty outline of the woman -- and then that faded, too. I looked down at my two dogs sleeping soundly at my feet. Neither one had stirred, making me wonder if I had, in fact, dreamed the entire experience. Wouldn't the dogs have sensed her presence, too?

This is my third such encounter. The first took place more than a decade ago when we lived in St. Louis. I awoke in much the same manner to find a man wearing a trench coat and fedora hat watching me from the foot of the bed. I was very frightened, as I thought he was an intruder until he faded into mist.

The second experience occurred a few years later in our Cheyenne, Wyoming, home. Lying on my side, I awoke suddenly and found myself face-to-face with a blonde-haired little girl wearing a pink dress. She appeared to be about five years old and was hovering next to my nightstand. Rather than fade away, she exited the bedroom by floating through the wall. I later learned that our house had been inhabited by a doctor and his family in the 1940s. His young daughter had died while they lived there.

I'm hoping to make some sense of this most recent encounter. I plan to spend some time at my public library to see if slaves did, indeed, occupy the land upon which my current home is built. In any case, the slave girl apparition seemed happy and harmless.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Pam, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Aurora82 (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-26)
I can relate to these stories... I have woken a couple diff times to find an apparition watching me from the opposite side of the bed... Only to turn as soon as it notices that I see it and float into the wall...it's an eerie feeling...
liltraviesa310 (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
hi my name is nivia
I was just reading your story
And it seems like those two girls
Are trying to tell you something
Like the little african girl
Im pretty shure she seemed nice
Or maybe just protecting you from
Something cause it loooked like she
Didnt harm you in anyway 😉
xHellzz (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-14)
That Was A Very Interesting Story Pam.
It Makes So Much Sense About What Happended. But Its Very Sad About The Little Girl Dying. ~God Bless~
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-15)
Hi Pam. I would say Virginia would be a prime state for slaves to have been in service. I would not be surprised if you find that your land may have been inhabited by them. Please keep an open mind and stick to the research, not all slavery accounts were documented. Sadly they were thought of as a possession, as a herd of cattle would be considered. So it is possible that an owner would not, or COULD not document their existence, for a variety of reasons.
Thank you for your story.

Excuse me Pam, I do not mean to take away from your story, but I thought to give someone an extra "to think on..."

rootwomin, (interesting name, by the way. I would like to think you chose it as a "clarifying" name.) I noticed in your comment that you were amazed that the ghost of a slave would appear happy, and also that those who see this firsthand do not think that odd. I would like to give you my thoughts on that, even though I have no clue if you will re view this page.
I would like to think when a person passes away while in the life of bondage (not all bondage is with chains and shackles or barred up windows) the SOUL knows and releases them from that life. Even if the GHOST may not have any idea it is no longer living, there may be a particle of that being that just KNOWS it no longer has to deal with that bondage. I would like to think at the point of realization, a quick and immediate relief passes through the being and in relief, they find peace.
Also, there were some slaves that were happy servers. I am in no means saying that they enjoyed the life of being a possession, what I mean is that it was one of their personality traits to greet people with a smile, even if their life seemed hopeless. There are many stories of slaves who were this way and the owners had to "break their spirit" to keep them in the "right frame of mind" for their place in society. "Roots" is a good example of what that may have been like. Though I think it is a gently written account.
rootwomin (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-31)
i'm always amazed when people recount slave ghosts as being happy and harmless... This is the 2nd story I've read along those lines... And what amazes me more is that the folk who encounter them don't find it odd that they are seemingly happy and harmless. Since slavery was neither of those things, happy or harmless, it would seem odd if the shades of that time would be so.
alosa1066 (2 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-23)
Hello.

My name is Christopher Balzano, a researcher and writer from the Boston area. I am currently working on a book entitled, Ghostly Adventures: Chilling True Stories from America's Haunted Hot Spots, that includes a section on first hand experiences with the paranormal. I would like to use your story in my book. I was hoping you could retell me your story.

If this sound good, e-mail me at alosa1066 [at] masscrossroads.com

Thanks
Draculina (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-21)
Maybe the slave girl had worked for someone who slept in the room you sleep in or like what Martin says you have a psychic ability and the little girl needs your help to finally r.i.p.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-20)
Dear Pam,

Wow, what a story, thank you, as I appreciated it very much. You are truly a gifted individual. Blessed be, --Abby
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-07-20)
It seems to me you have latent psychic abilities when you're in alpha-theta state (beta being fully awake), since it always happen when you are just coming out of sleep. Meditation could help you reach such states and explore your ability, if that's what you want.

http://www.psychic-experiences.com/psychic-articles/brain-wave-states.php

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: