You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Lucky Crying For His Ghostly Owner

Real Ghost Stories

Lucky Crying For His Ghostly Owner

 

This incident happened to me 12 years ago, when I was a teenager living in the Bronx NY. I was taking a walk on a Saturday with my father. My dad made it a habit to walk through areas that seemed deserted and lonely. I'm sure it was not safe but I never gave it a second thought because I always felt safest with my dad.

As we were walking, from the distance we could see something tied up to the fire hydrant. Whatever it was it was large but very limp and still. As we approached it we could see it was a badly beaten dog. He was chained up to the fire hydrant with a metal chain. We could tell its breed right away, a German shepherd. He was bloody and had burn marks on his body. Our hearts broke instantly. We could not understand how a person could so badly abuse an animal. This had to be a soulless monster!

My father started to approach the dog slowly and to our surprise he was wagging his tail. My father removed the chain and picked him up and carried him home. My father nursed him back to health. We fell in love with him and decided to keep him and call him Lucky because we were lucky to find him despite his condition. He was a wonderful dog, so protective of us, so loyal and loving. He was very friendly and loving to my father and I but if others approached him on the street and petted him during our walks he seemed so uninterested and wanted to just continue on our walk and not be bothered.

A few years later my father and I moved to another apartment, not at all far from where we previously lived, just a few blocks. It was across the street from a cemetery. I always hated that we literally lived right across the street from it but what could I do. On a Friday, shortly after moving in to this new neighborhood, I came home pretty late after seeing a late movie showing with my friends. It was 1:15 and I remember because as I was fumbling through my book bag looking for my house keys I took a glance at my watch that I had earlier thrown into my bag. When I walked in I noticed my dad was gone and assumed they called him in last minute to work the night shift. My assumption was right because has I headed into the kitchen to get something to drink I saw a note on the fridge "Called in for night duty, don't forget to walk lucky! Love Dad.

I headed for the leash and Lucky ran to me with excitement with his ears pulled back and his tail wagging. He loved his walks. I don't walk by the cemetery at night, it's too creepy but I was so tired and wanted him to do his business quickly so we can go back up and the avenue up where I usually go to walk him are long avenues; I was in no mood to walk that far. So I reluctantly stayed near the cemetery but across the street from it. As I was walking I saw a blocks worth of broken glass on the floor and I was afraid Lucky would step on it and cut his paw so I had to cross the street to the side of the cemetery. Though the cemetery is blocked off with bars it's still very eerie and disturbing.

As I was walking and waiting for Lucky to finish his business my eyes were wandering through the cemetery. From where I stood I could see the stones of the dead buried there. I was reading the names and the year they came and left this world. There was not a soul outside.

Finally he had finished and I was heading back home which was no more than a block away. I was still on the same side of the cemetery when I heard someone call for Lucky. I turned around and saw a little girl inside the cemetery behind the bars. When Lucky saw her he started crying and trying to run towards her. The more lucky cried the louder she would call him, "Lucky, Lucky, Lucky" Her cries for him seemed sad like she was calling his name and crying at the same time. I was so frightened and tried to pull Lucky away and head the opposite direction. He was very strong so he started dragging me towards her and the closer I got to her I noticed I was able to see right through her.

I yelled "Lucky, LETS GO RIGHT NOW" I pulled with all my strength and dragged him away from this transparent little girl. As I was running away I heard her yelling, Lucky please don't go, don't leave me. Lucky wanted to be with her so bad, as if he knew and loved her. I ran home with him and hurried upstairs.

I was unable to sleep that night and Lucky sat by the door the whole night; he seemed sad and didn't want to be bothered. So unusual for him because at night he would always cuddle near me on the couch or follow me into my room and find a place near me on my bed. Since I was unable to sleep that night I started thinking of the possibility of that ghostly little girl once being his owner, or the little girl of the cruel owner that beat and tortured Lucky and left him for dead chained to a hydrant. Maybe she was killed by an accident or by the hands of her parents who so soullessly beat and burnt the dog I now call Lucky.

Or maybe she has no connection to Lucky and is just a sad lost soal looking for something or someone. If so why did Luckly so desperatley want to be with her when he shows no love or interest for anyone except me and my father and why did he seem so withdrwan and sad that night when I dragged him back home.

Needless to say I have never walked Lucky near that cemetery again, I walk the extra few blocks away from that cemetery no matter how tired I might feel.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nicole85, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-16)
Did you ever call out Lucky name near the graveyard? If not, maybe your Dad did it before. That may be how this little girl knew the name. I don't know why he reacted like that though. I guess the little girl seemed pleasant to him. It's not like the spirit was intimidating, to me she wasn't. I agree with Granny, that he was waiting on your Dad by the door. I enjoyed this story though.

Thank you for sharing
thegaminggeeks2001 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-16)
This story is very sad but I ask myself. How did the little girl know Lucky's name? Creepy...
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
I don't know the answers

When I started to read your story I got the impression that Lucky was in a house fire. Is it possible that Lucky could have been owned by a nice family with a child? It might be he tried to save her from the fire and couldn't. He could have sustained his injuries trying to rescue her, rather from abuse. I don't know why he would be chained up on the fire hydrant though. Maybe the fire department chained him up to keep him clear from the scene but the forgot about him in the after math? YOu should investigate fires for the area you were walking in. Being semi-psychic and reading your story I will trust my instincts for the idea that Lucky was trying to save his family. That was my immediate image that popped into my head when you said he was chained up with burns. I didn't even read the whole story yet.
ada (4 stories) (44 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
I am so sorry about lucky. I wish dogs could talk! I should not have asked so many questions.
Nicole85 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
I realized I used a lot of present tense words when talking about my furry friend lucky, which I do when speaking about him even today. However he is indeed no longer with me: (
Nicole85 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
I don't live there anymore and sadly my furry friend is also no longer with us, when we found him he was already an adult so we didn't have as many years as we would have liked with him. My theory of this being the little girl's owner is just my theory; I don't know the story behind the little girl. It is true that one might think she would have called him by his previous name if she was the previous owner. But I also found it interesting and wondered how she would have known that his name was Lucky now whether she had a connection with him or not, but she managed to know and did yell for him as Lucky. There are so many unexplained things; she could indeed have just been a lost soul looking to reach out to something. I was way too scared to go back so for me that was not an option. As an adult I have had many many frightening encounters from the ghostly world, but I never again did see that little girl.

I also didn't feel like Lucky thought she was a threat he was very eager and excited to see her it seemed to me. I had seen him growl and bark and show his teeth at strangers who he didn't like and I had also seen him do that when strangers he does not like come to the door at our home. However, when he heard and saw the little girl he was crying and what I found interesting was that his ears were pulled back and his tail was waving around which is what he does when he is happy.

I appriciate you all for reading my story and thank you for the comments:)
ada (4 stories) (44 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
I am with Granny on that one. If it was a previous owner wouldn't it be a changed name. Maybe the little girl was trying to get your attention. Being lost needing to be recognized. Maybe there is a story there that needs to be told. I would have went back to see... Do you still live there? Do you still have the dog? But... How would she know the name of the dog? Have you had anything events your home that lead you to believe that she is with you more than you think? Sorry for all the questions... I believe all you have to say totally! Its odd goings on and I am just wondering is all. Good luck... Let me know what's up!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
Nicole85: Good story but there are a few points that I'm not too sure about... The most obvious one being: if Lucky was the little girl's dog, wouldn't she be calling him by the name she had for him and not his "re-name"?...

He could have felt the little girl was a threat to you, and so was trying to protect you...Also, I think Lucky's demeanor when you got home could have been due to the fact that your Dad wasn't there...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: