You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Don't Hide In The Woods

Real Ghost Stories

Don't Hide In The Woods

 

Sorry if this gets long (I figure I'd tell the WHOLE story because this is a really fun game and I would recommend it to anyone) but where to begin... Ok, This happened when I was 15 or so and as stereotypical as it is just a day or two from Halloween. I have a relative who had recently bought a bunch of land in the middle of nowhere, so you can kind of see where I'm going with this. Anyway we (Around 12 people or so) were playing a hardcore version of hide and seek. The rules are simple. One team is the killers, the other the victims. The victims go out into the woods all night and try not to get caught by the killers. (In retrospect this sounds like the cheesy setup for a horror movie.) The victims were around 7 people (Me included). I was late on getting a head start because me and 3 other guys were sleeping because the game literally goes all night. So the other guys woke me up and after a couple cans of monsters we were getting our shoes on and heading out the door.

The second we stepped out of the door we saw 2 killers running down the road toward us. I'm glad we made the reasonable choice... And ran like hell. Instead of going behind the house like everyone else we ran straight forward and past the small pond in the front. That was probably the first bad idea. I remember we dove and hid in the bank next to the small dirt road while one of the killers whistled a really slow creepy song and walked past us on the road. We were covered in brush so he didn't notice. He kept walking down the path that went around the pond and we ran and hid on top of the hill the road was next to. We decided that we would just walk in one direction and not stop. That way we wouldn't get lost and we could wait it out until morning. That was probably bad idea number two.

Lets call the three guys I was with Tom, James and Mark. Mark forgot his phone so he went back to get it. Well we walked (If what you call walking is stumbling blindly through the moonlit woods) for what seemed like an hour (we were tired but hearing screams every now and then kept us motivated) and decided that we would find a place to hide and to sleep. Here's the wierd thing, no one has been back in the woods that far before. Not even my relative. So we came across this valley like place. I think we crossed a barbed wire fence not long before that. You ever had that feeling like you just aren't supposed to be in a place and that all of your instincts were screaming at you to leave? Thats what I felt like crossing that fence.

It was around 3 in the morning when we stopped. I remember Tom complaining that James had worn white pants (I should probably tell you that no one else wore white except James) and would get noticed. I used my jacket to cover up his pants. Rick (We assumed was out) still wasn't with us because we left him behind at the house. For the greater good. (He has given us away far too many times) But we did tell him where we were going. Anyways I didn't realize it at the time but he would have a weird experience too. After he left I had the feeling like I was being watched. Tom still complained and I was bored so I went to find a better hiding place. That's when the weird things started happening.

I walked along the side of the small valley I didn't feel like I was being watched anymore. As I was walking I thought I saw ashes on the ground. I was looking at the ground when the next thing I knew my face hit this weird doll thing hanging from a tree. I seriously almost shiat my pants. I remember screaming "What the f*ck!"... I definitely wouldn't continue walking. It wasn't like a toy doll or anything but kind of like a bunch of red yarn that made the shape of it. Everything in my body was telling me to run like hell, and I was happy to comply. But as I turned to bolt... I don't know what I saw.

It was like a woman standing at the edge of the treeline watching Tom and James sleep... She was as plain as day as far as moonlit nights go. Yet I couldn't really see her clearly. If you've ever, ever had a moment where you were frozen in fear you'd know how I felt. Its like that buildup of tension where it takes your brain a few seconds to realize what your looking at. All the while you feel like somethings crawling up the top of your neck. Followed by the sensation of shock. I don't thnk I could ever forget that. But that's not the creepy part.

After about a couple seconds of staring at the "woman" she turned abruptly and looked straight at me. I'm not going to lie but I couldn't even scream. I just stared back and then she just floated back into the forest and out of my line of sight. I didn't hear a single sound not a single animal, not even wind. I didn't even realize I was sprinting as fast as I could back to the guys. I tried telling them about it and what I saw I don't think they were taking me seriously they are somewhere around 20 years old. But they saw I was panicked so we called it quits regardless of the game.

I was explaining what I saw on our way back. They simply thought it was someone trying to scare us. But I could tell they were nervous. When we made it back everyone was there (Either found or forfeited) except for a a lot of people who went to sleep. The only people left in the living room were Me, James, Tom, Rick and, well let's call him Mike. I tried explaining to Rick and Mike what I saw but before I could Rick said something that made me uneasy.

He said he heard footsteps behind him as he was walking out to where we were. He also felt like he was being watched. He said he sprinted out of there and still felt like he was being followed. He thought it was us messing with him. But when he looked around the place there was no one. Just typing this gives me the chills.

My relative had to sell the property but I did try to go back once. But every fiber in my body was telling me not to. And I've learned to trust my instincts.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Blackstone, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

olecreaux (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Finally someone had something happen to them like I did, But I had mine around 11am. I was looking for cow heads and went a different way than I normally go. And was going to cross through another patch of woods to get to the pasture. When all of a sudden my dog started growling and the hair on her back was standing up. She was looking all around I noticed that it was quite no birds nothing. I thought someone else was in the woods but my dog was scared and I was getting that way to! I didn't see anything but the feeling to get out was strong and I left! I want to go back and put a game camera up but no one will go with me, So I've made up my mind to go this winter when the snakes are gone.
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-03)
what a great story... Nice & creepy (like myself)... I fancy walking through a wooded area or a cemetery late at night... But I haven't got the balls...
Blackstone (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
Hey, First of all thank you all for commenting. But I don't think that being on another property was the case. You see, there is no other property remotely near that place. As far as I know the nearest house is a pretty decent drive away from the entrance gate. (The house is in the middle of a field surrounded by trees and there's a long gravel road to the gate) And another weird thing. The guy who sold the property left all sorts of stuff there. Like a tractor and a barn with tools. And about the doll maybe there were cultists there or something? But why did I feel so in danger?
ind_83 (55 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
Blackstone - your story was very very creepy. Thank you for sharing this to us.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
I believed as Jav said you were on someone elses property at the time all this happened, a number of things can happen, there could have been sensors technical equipment setup for security reasons aswell someone may have heard the commotion and came looking. Just something else to think about.
The doll you described is differant though, this to me sounds as though some sort of ceremonial magick or ritual has been done for protection but mostly harm on someone, either way it doesn't sound to good, glad you got out of there!

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
TitanicLover28 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-17)
Wow pretty creepy! I think maybe that piece of land belonged to her before you relaive bought it, she probably died there or something. 😁
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-16)
This reminds me of the great times i've had in the country. I miss those days, because St. Louis doesn't have a lot of country. I wonder if that woman used to be a witch. She might of tied that doll up before her death. I wouldn't be suprised. I've seen a 1950's car with household items surrounding it, that were also very old. The woods have a lot of history that is left there. I really enjoyed this story though.

Thank you for sharing
spooky-n-crazy (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-16)
your story was totally SPOOKY!
It just bought me creeps...
You said the place was in the middle of no-where, so you should probably check on the tribes in that area (if any)...n check out anything related to the doll... It will surely answer all our questions...
GOOD LUCK!
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
Woods are the perfect place to feel uneasy. I have had my fair share of bad experiences myself in a few forests, but yours is beyond scary. Good thing it didn't follow you home or worse. All the best ! Xxx 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
Blackstone,
As far as you feeling that you shouldn't be there? I wouldn't put that down to the paranormal, at least not entirely. You crossed over a barbed wire fence. This simply means that from that moment on you were technically a trespasser on someone else's property. If you didn't feel like an intruder at that point then there really would be a problem.
However, that does not mean you didn't experience something paranormal once you were there. I have to believe you most certainly had an experience that would have had me scared as well. It was when you saw her "float" back into the tree line that got me. Very creepy! Thank you for sharing.

Jav
crystalbell1 (10 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
Creepy... You should definitively look up the history of the house. Or even history about dolls, that doll could be a sign!
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
ada. I'm sorry but I don't believe your story about the bridge. It was iffy to begin with but when you said you moved a dead bear out of the way (as an after tought mind you) your post sizzled into a fib. Bears are very very heavy. And one that is dead would seem like it was twice the weight it normally is. You can't simply grab on to a bear and move it. And how would you know this bear was killed?

I'm sorry. You may have had an experience but you embeloshed it too much
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
this is very interesting. Sometimes when people do things that attract the attention of lower entity beings the place they live will feel very wrong. It may be that this woman you saw was an actual living person living on the land. If she was doing "black magic" you would have the same feelings as if you were around something evil. She would have made her part of the woods filled with bad energy.

But I don't like dolls of any sort. And one hanging from a tree at 3 am in the woods... Well I think I would have ran so fast that I could have flown. That would literally scare me to death. I would be traumatized for weeks.

Good post!
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
This is a very cool story... Though I'm sympathetic to the fact that you were so scared. I've played some versions of this game... Only we call the seekers 'hunters' and they use flashlights. Plus, the game is played immediately after sunset and only lasts a little bit.

Anyway...did you happen to do any research on the land? Find out who previous owners were, perhaps or see why you walked into a yarn doll in the middle of the woods? I realize that you were scared, but what did the woman look like? Was she dressed in modern clothes or vintage ones? It would be interesting to see if any kind of research bears fruit on this mystery.
ada (4 stories) (44 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
I am new on this sight trying to put in a word or two. But let's just say I know what you are talking about... That feeling that you should not be there at that time. No sounds coming from the woods all got quite. Right after I met my husband he and I had my 16 year old cousin with us we use to go backroad riding late at night during hunting season to let my lil dog see the deer. Likes to bark! We ended up on a road that we had never been on. It had a dead end with a church. We had crossed a old bridge. On the way back there was a animal on the bridge that was dead. We did not hit. There was no car behind us either. So we had to stop on that bridge. It was a dead bear! So the truck died and all the noise of the night citters stop and the creek below us lit up under the moon. It was safe to say something was under the bridge. The water sounded like something was walking in it. The meters on the dash of the truck went crazy and we were screaming and crying telling my ole man to start the truck back up and it would not start. Mind you we were in a new truck. You know how water sounds when it is boiling that's what we had going on under the bridge by this time. My dog always barks she did not make a sound. She was hiding and wimpering under the back seat. We saw two head lights and our truck started right up and we had already moved the bear that had been killed... Anyway, we got out of there fast. Asked some locals if they knew anything on what was by that bridge and they said that in the war there was a a man on a horse that was killed under that bridge. He was killed were he was hiding. They said thathe got lost from the other men he was with. He was a union soilder and he was just pissed! He killed a lot of animals there for food. They always see him in the water and I just glad that he did show is face to us. I was to scared to look down.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: