You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Story Almost Too Unbelievable To Be True

Real Ghost Stories

A Story Almost Too Unbelievable To Be True

 

I grew up in Chicago, Illinois, in a house that had 2 apartments in it. My parents, brother and I lived on the top floor. My aunt and uncle lived on the bottom. I always heard noises in that house but always tried to explain them away. One night there alone changed my life forever.

My parents went out to some event and my brother was visiting family in Elgin, IL. I was ok being home alone because I thought my aunt and uncle were downstairs in their apartment. I was still a little bit nervous, so I decided to turn on all the lights in the house because it made me feel more comfortable.

I decided to take a shower before I went to bed. I go in the bathroom, close the door and get in the shower. While I was in there, I thought I was hearing noises, like someone was running back and forth. I assumed my little cousin was downstairs with my aunt and uncle because they babysat him a lot and you could hear him running around sometimes. I continued on with my shower, not giving the noises a second thought.

Out of nowhere this realization came to me. My aunt and uncle were vacationing in Texas that week and I was all alone. I started to panic. I turned off the water and got out of the shower. I was standing by the door to see if I was really hearing these noises. All of a sudden I hear the running, but this time it's coming from outside the bathroom door. I hear it constantly like someone is running back and forth, back and forth. Finally, it stops. I stand at the door for what seems like forever and I hear nothing for awhile. I finally work up the courage to open the door and when I do, I see something that still terrifies me to this day. All the lights were off. Every light that I turned on, was off. The only light that remained on was the bathroom light. I was frozen. I stood there for the longest time trying to figure this out. How is this possible? I ran to my room and hid in my closet until the next morning. My parents had assumed that I went to bed and forgot to turn the bathroom light off. I never told them the story.

We have since moved out of that house but my dad still owns it. People who rent from him call him very often complaining of lights turning on and off, hearing footsteps and other strange noises. I will never go back there and no one can make me.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, pamacha03, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-10)
You know what has always surprised me concerning ADVERTS of this type?!?

They never address a current/active Haunting experience and seem to post on 'threads' that have been dormant for 6 months or greater...

Get a hint TROLL... If you are truly interested in ACTIVE Haunted Home Experiences read the NEW SUBMISSIONS then see if the O/P has posted their e-mail address in their profile and contact them directly or at least say you enjoyed reading their experience and ask them to contact you via your e-mail...the 'MASS POSTING ADVERTS' are a boring pain in the a55 to read.

Rook
butthead (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-23)
showgirls1989

She saw that all the other lights had been turned off while she was in the shower. Which would terrify you I guess if you was home alone and you had heard running footsteps. Does me anyway, lol
showgirls1980 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-23)
Hey, you quoted this in your story:

"I finally work up the courage to open the door and when I do, I see something that still terrifies me to this day."

Can you explain what you thought you saw? 😕
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-23)
Okay, I give this one a 9.5 on the Creep-O-Meter. The point where you come to the realization that your Aunt and Uncle are gone for the week? That's about as creepy as it gets. Until, of course, you discover all the lights have been switched off!
Thanks for scaring the crap out of me, and welcome to YGS!

Jav 😲
Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-23)
Thank God that at least you did not see any apparition that night...! If I were in your place I am pretty sure would have peed in my clothes...:- (
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-23)
Don't you hate when a nice hot shower gets cut short? Not only did the spirit mess up your shower, but left you in a dark house. That's rude... This spirit sounds like a child pulling a prank on you though. He/She had to know you don't like the dark. That's probably why you heard the running. The spirit was trying to hurry before you got out. That's just a option.

Thank you for sharing 😊
ind_83 (55 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-23)
Good & indeed funny comment redphx - "It sounds like the ghost that lived in your place didn't like the lights left on. It must have been worried about the electric bill. It probably did that in life". Well I also agree with you. & pamacha03 I also do that "all the lights on" thing whenever I have to stay alone in my apartment and after switching on all the lights I go back to my room, close the door, bolt it and then turn the tv on so that I cannot hear any other sound other than the tv. I switch on the lights of the bathrooms & kitchen also. I live in a apartment building. There are other people also in different floors. But still I feel very scared whenever I have to stay alone. My mother-in-law scolds me for doing that because of that high electricity bill, but I am too scared to switch off all the lights in my apartment😨. So you are not alone.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-22)
ah yes. I remember that trick of turning on all the lights to feel better. I did that all the time. In my room I moved the head of my bed into the closet and took the doors off. Every night I slept with my TV on, playing the only movie I have over and over... I know "Romey & Michells highschool reunion" line by line. And I strung up christmas lights all over that were on all the time while I slept. Light makes you feel better, I know.

It sounds like the ghost that lived in your place didn't like the lights left on. It must have been worried about the electric bill. It probably did that in life

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: