You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: To the Stars, Smokey Cat

Real Ghost Stories

To the Stars, Smokey Cat

 

This experience actually started two days before the actual event I am going to relate to you. It actually starts the night I took the math placement test for my college in January of 2006. Upon getting my results, I naturally called my mother and father in Texas (I live with friends in California... Friends who I have come to regard as a surrogate family, so I refer to sisters when I biologically have none, and make a pointed difference between my Texas Mom and Dad (the biological ones) and my Cali Mom and Dad... Just for reference) to give them the good news.

They sounded... Upset when they answered the phone, but my Texas Mom is a bit of a hypochondriac, and I figured she'd just thought of something else that could be wrong with her, so I didn't ask why they were upset. I passed on my information, bathed in their congratulations, and got off the phone. As I was getting off the phone, I heard my Texas Dad in the background of the call say "do you want to tell her?", but by then my mom was hanging up.

Now, while I'd been in the testing center and all of that day beforehand, I'd felt awful. I chalked it up to nerves and taking my first standardized test (the GED aside) since 1st Grade. (I was Home schooled from 2nd Grade on.) I felt better after passing, but during the entire next day, I felt sick again. Just... Knowing what I know now, I would call it sick with grief, but then I thought I was getting the flu. Stomach cramps, nausea, headache, and depression.

Picture of Smokey the cat Before I go any further with my story, I feel the need to explain that I had just moved from my Texas Parent's house in September of 2005, and I'd been back in December for a week to visit. During that time, 10-year-old Smokey did not stray from my side. She slept on my bed, and followed me everywhere. She'd always been a 'follow-cat', but I knew something was different this time.

I think we both knew that this visit would be the last time I would see her. I worked hard to try and be able to bring her with me, but the vet wouldn't give her clearance to fly. At under 12 pounds, and at her age, she was too old and too small to fly. And there was no way I could drive with her... In her whole life, on top of everything else, she'd never left the little apartment I'd shared with my parents. I raised her from a tiny kitten in that house.

The last night I was there during the visit, she slept on my bed, right next to my head. And as I went to sleep, I was petting her, and I remember whispering "I'll be back to visit soon... Don't you go anywhere, baby..." And I know she didn't want to... But what I found out almost exactly a month later...

Fast forward to me back in California, the day after my test, at sunset. Remembering my father's words and having been feeling crappy all day, I called my Texas Mom again. This time the first thing she asked was if I wanted to hear bad news then, or if I wanted to wait until after the weekend (it was a Friday night). The hair stood up on the back of my neck, and I felt my face flush... Whatever she was about to tell me, it was the reason I had been sick for two days.

The morning of the day of my test, Smokey had followed my mother into the bathroom with something hanging off of her back end. My parents were shocked and horrified to find that she had a prolapsed colon, which is basically when the last bit of your intestines turns inside out and comes out of you when you poop too hard... Smokey was too old and too small for the surgery (it would have killed her), and my parents couldn't afford it anyway... So the afternoon, while I was taking my test, they'd had her put to sleep after a day of sad goodbyes and cuddling. (What gets to me about this is that they left her body at the SPCA for disposal... If they'd called me that morning, I would have wired them the money to have her cremated and the ashes returned... But there's nothing I can do about my parents trying to shield me from the sad truth of my baby's death.)

I got off the phone in a daze. I was sitting on the couch on our back porch in California. I think I was crying... I know I didn't really break down until after I got off the phone... And my California Mom came out to the back porch to throw something in the recycling bin, and found me crying. I don't remember how I told her or my sister what had happened, but I know I did.

I've completely lost the next hour... I don't remember anything. I think I was in shock. I know my California Mom decided to make fudge to try and help me feel better, and my sister was sitting with me and holding me. When I finally managed to stop crying, my sister invited me to go out front with her for some fresh air, and I nodded.

We went out on the front porch, and I was miserable (obviously). I couldn't concentrate enough to talk, so I just was looking up at the stars while my sister rubbed my back and I tried to keep from crying again. I was so upset... What if Smokey thought I'd abandoned her? What if she was mad at me for leaving? For not taking her with me? All I could think of were things I'd done "wrong". Then, suddenly, I saw it.

It was the only shooting star that I have ever seen, and it seemed to fizzle out directly over our house. And as it shot toward me, I suddenly found myself flooded by memories of Smokey so clear it was as if I was watching a movie on a screen in my mind and I couldn't even see the front yard anymore... Just the memories. I saw her as a kitten, small enough to fit in my hand the day she crawled up onto our porch following an outside cat we'd been feeding. I saw the time she'd ripped all the garland off of our christmas tree and strung it around the house... I saw so many scenes that they all blurred together... And ended with that last night and her sleeping inches from my nose.

To my sister, I'd stood frozen for only a few seconds, but I swear I'd relived the ten years of my baby's life in those few seconds... And somehow I knew that the star had been Smokey coming home to me. She said goodbye, and somehow I knew that she wasn't mad at me for anything.

To make more of a point, many times since that night I have seen Smokey among our resident ghost cats... The star really was her, and she's home where she belongs... With me. Forever.

To the stars, Smokey... To the stars.

Other hauntings by Tygerwolfe

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tygerwolfe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MissAngelaA (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-27)
I know this was posted a few years ago but it was such a wonderful story. I've never owned a cat but I have a dog that I love so much and am an animal lover. This is wonderful. Its good to know the good life we try to give our furry babies really makes a difference in their lives:)
KittyKat99 (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
Dear Tygerwolfe,
I'm so sorry for your loss. At least you know your cat is okay. My cat got killed by coyotes recently. I will miss him. Right now, I feel him lying next to me, just like he always has. His name was Sneakers and he was only 6. I've had him since he was a kitten. He has been with me for as long as I can remember.
TammyMom (32 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
I live in a rural area where we have field mice, rabbits, opossums, skunks, coyotes, bobcats, etc... I have several cats. All of them, except for one, I raised from the time that they were small enough to hold in one hand. Specter, my Siamese-mix is a terrific hunter. I love them all very much. They are part of the family. - Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back. The best to you all.
crazygirl101 (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-11)
thankyou for sharing that with us
I cried😭 and I know that smokey must haved loved you ❤ ❤
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
Sorry I am late at posting, Your story was good, Yes I believe that cats can be ghosts, or they can leave their spirits behind.
Tygerwolfe (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-31)
You're very welcome, Abby. Thank you again for commenting. :) I really appreciate your kind words.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-28)
Dear Tygerwolfe,

You are welcome. I also thank you for allowing me use of your page in regards to my replies to lian01. You are so kind.

Thank you for sharing your personal story here with us, and my heart goes out to you. I already knew why you were close to animals, as you have a sixth sense about you and when it most definitely comes to animals. I have that sixth sense, but more with people, things, events-- and sometimes animals. Though, I do love animals, I am not as close as you are. That is what makes you unique and special.

I have seen how animals can work wonders on the souls of humans, as well as help humans, especially when they are ill, depressed, disabled, feeling alone, elderly, about to pass and just in need of unconditional love and companionship. They are the most healing and loveable prescription for any human ailment.

I appreciate your story and allowing us to also know your more personal, deeper story.
Thank you so much and many blessings always, Abby 😊
Tygerwolfe (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
Wow, I missed a lot...

Shane - Thank you for the kind comment. :)

Abby - Thank you for your lovely comment and for discussing things with Lian01. :)

Lian01 - I'm not angry with you, and I fully understand this view. However, perhaps I should explain a bit more what my situation is with my pets. My parents pulled me out of school after 1st Grade because they are devout creationists and it was announced that they were going to be teaching evolution as a fact in my school. I was homeschooled all the way through high school, and never had any human friends (aside from a few online that I met after the year 2000, and one with which I am now living and consider my sister in spirit).

Because of this, my animals have never been just pets... They were my best friends, and even family. Losing Smokey was like losing a daughter, as I'd raised her from a tiny kitten and she is the only pet that I'd ever done that for at the time. Most of my animals have come to me second hand, but Smokey was mine from the time she was about three weeks old. So we had a very special bond. She could also tell if I was sick or upset, and would always be by my side (sometimes obtrusively so) if I didn't feel well. So yes, she was a cat... But she was also a best friend, and a child of sorts. Losing her is one of the hardest things I've ever lived through... And I actually include in that my aunt's recent (3 months ago) suicide.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-25)
Mmmmmm...diversity... Drool. Love it!
How fabulous! That's what makes the world go round. I love to read differing opinions, that's what makes this site so interesting!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-25)
Tygerwolfe, that indeed was a heart touching experience. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I would like to respond to Abby and Lian, but I will not use your story for such and will use one of my own. But once again thank you for sharing your story with this motley crew.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-25)
Pardon me all,

Dear Miss Lian,

No offense taken and no lengthy explanation needed to be who you are. I actually liked your honest response. However, I do thank you for your kind consideration to answer my curious and cat nosy question. I just wondered how a bombshell showed up on this site with so much knowledge and know how, and I immediately caught your Shane-like style that added to the bonus. ...And, I liked it. I also liked your spunk to have your own opinion, and for further help in the future just be who you are. You don't have to excuse yourself to anybody, including me if you choose not to, especially if you believe in yourself and do it in a way that your choices consequences come back on the highest level for you and others. Otherwise, we all put out their what we get back. So, like I said I do like your style and that is why you raised my reader's eyebrow. Thank you for the information, but for your privacy dear one all the other is not necessary, just be yourself and show me your heart's worth. Welcome, my dear fellow traveling poster. Thank you so much, --Abby
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-25)
Guys, don't restrain yourself from voicing your opinions because you think it might not be well received, diversity in feedback is important, all I really ask is to stay respectful of people sharing their experiences. But a little heated debate never hurt anyone. It would be pretty boring if everybody always said: "yup, it's a ghost, throw some salt around..."
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-25)
Abby, please could you go read my profile (again 😉) please... Thank you! There's something for you...
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-25)
Hi Abby. Phew! I thought I was going to get really shouted at by someone! I probably will, it hasn't been long since I posted.
Here's the deal. Yes, I only registered on this site recently, but I have been visiting on and off for some time now. I never joined before because I never really felt the need to. But I recently read one of the posts and felt compelled to reply, so I joined. I've been posting a lot because I've had very little to do this week at work and I spend most of the day reading these stories. I'm not someone in disguise, I've never registered before. I'm not psychic (as far as I'm aware!), and I'm not trying to copy Shane. It's just that in all of his postings, Shanes view often tends to reflect my own, and I believe him to be someone who knows a great deal about what he preaches.
I understand that I'm new here, and some of my comments may come across harsh or rude (for which I apologise), but please understand that I am not a nasty person, I don't deliberately try to offend people. I just like to air my views. I don't deliberately attack peoples religious beliefs, it's just that I've found a lot of comments on this site refer to 'demons' and 'devils' which I find quite worrying. As I said in a different post, I feel sorry for some of the people who post on this site because they are genuinely seeking help for something they don't understand, and they are getting people telling them that they have a demon, or that it's an evil spirit. A judgement that cannot be made on a single posting on a website (if indeed there are such things as demons!) I can't think of anything that would frighten me more!
I'm a normal, 24 year old girl. I have been fascinated with ghosts and other paranormal occurences since a young age, constantly reading books, watching T.V. Shows, and now the internet, trying to find out as much as I can. I am totally fascinated by the whole subject. I base all my judgements on the information I have obtained over the years, I'm not claiming to be an expert, far from it. I'm curious!
Finally...TYGERWOLFE, I am SO SORRY for taking over your post like this, and I cannot apologise enough for my earlier comments about this post. I should never have posted it, I've felt bad all day. I should have kept my opinion to myself on that one. SORRY.
Lian (that's my real name, that's how honest I am!)
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-25)
Dear lian01,

I take no offense, as you are entitled to your opinion and hope that Tygrewolfe doesn't mind a bit either. I am however curious, as curiosity, as we now know does not kill a cat of 9 lives,-- for a poster of short posting stature such as yourself and meaning it as a compliment to your added knowledge of comments here on this site, for someone who just started posting on this site and registered on the register date of 07-23-2007 to your present post, you sure do know the lingo and just what to say here. In fact you seem to pattern yourself quite much like Shane? You must really hold him in high esteem, as I do. I find that a lot of copying goes on here which I was told by friends is a form of a compliment, but of course me being me I find it differently, but that is another story. In any case, you wanted to be updated and you have already taken on the religion debate. I must say you either are quite knowledgeable of this site, a psychic or you have been here before. One can always change an e-mail address I guess. You and Enchantee warm the cockles of my curious and uncopied heart. And in the end, we all live and die,--- with and by our personal opinion. Welcome fellow traveling poster, Abby
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-25)
I really don't want to seem heartless, but am I the only one thinking...it's a cat!? I fully understand the bond people have with pets, I love my pets dearly and I know how hard and sad it is when one dies. And it is a really sweet story, it's written beautifully. I just think it's all a bit much for a cat.
Sorry if I've offended you or anyone else, and please don't get me wrong, I love cats!

Maybe I shouldn't have posted anything at all... Maybe from now on if I haven't got anything nice to say I shouldn't say it at all!?
Sorry again if I'm speaking out of line. I never intend to offend anyone.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-25)
Dear Tygerwolfe,

Once again you presented us your heart and as many readers have stated, myself included your story is a very touching story. To me it was an emotional sadness of a passing of a beloved friend which was also mixed with a soaring gladness of the heart reaching towards the stars of the eternal heavens. A shooting star, a sign from a beloved friend showing you and all of us who read your story that a cat's final life does not end in nine lives, but shoots the starry heavens with a firework statement that life and unconditional love is eternal for not only humans but for animals, a humans' best friend, as well. A beautiful story about a well-loved, cherished and best friend... No matter what may come, Abby
Tygerwolfe (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-25)
Bellissima -

I've had multiple visits from... Very many of my pets that have crossed the Rainbow Bridge... There's one more that I think I should write out, but I don't feel particularly like reliving it right now. I will get it written up soon, though.

______________________

looney85 -
Thank you. I hope she'll always be in touch with me as well.
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-24)
😭 hoooh! What a touching story, I'm glad your cat Smokey came back to be with you and let you know how much he misses you! I wish you the best and hope he would always be in touch with you!
Im at work too, and my co-workers are looking at me weird (since I'm making this sad face as I read) lol! But I'm ok!
may god be with you and smokey!

😉
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-24)
I was touched by your story, I think you're lucky to have your sad feelings alleviated by your special sign from your equally special Smokey. You wrote your tale very well and made me tear up too. I've always had a special connection with my pets but never any special visits from beyond.
Tygerwolfe (3 stories) (19 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-24)
Carlyxo -

Thnk you very much. :)

Do you talk to your dog? Sometimes I find that when I talk to my animals that have crossed over regularly, they're more likely to show up.

______________

chunkygut1 -

I've met many people with cats named Smokey since mine died. It seems to be a pretty common name. :) And thank you for the well wishes.

______________

fizzylizzie -

Thank you, that is what I think, too.

______________

Lexiluca -

I'm sorry I made you tear up at work. :) I hope to write another story soon, this time about my first dog, Baby... It will likewise be rather sad. But it seems to me that there are two kinds of stories on this site: Sad, and scary. :P
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-24)
This is a very touching story and moment in your life. It made me tear up (and I'm at work! 😊)
fizzylizzie (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-24)
wow, very touching.
I think your right, it must have been her coming to let you know she was ok, and that she loved you 😉
chunkygut1 (13 stories) (73 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-24)
that story touched me and I am sorry for your loss I have a cat called smokey as well and I will be devastated when he dies.
I hope he speaks to me as yours did.
I'm sure shes fine and looking down on you with happiness and good memories. 😁
Carlyxo (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-24)
:( I'm sorry for the loss of your cat. Reading this story made me tear up as I remembered my dog Buddy, who had to be put to sleep because of bad legs. He had yet to come and let me know he's alright. :] I'm waiting for the day though, the day that he'll come into a dream, or I'll faintly see him somewhere.

I, too, believe your cat came to you in that star to let you know she's not mad, and that everythings alright.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: