You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Still Afraid Of The Dark

Real Ghost Stories

Still Afraid Of The Dark

 

I was lying in my bed half asleep, and my room was dark, but not pitch black. There was a blueness in the room to where I could still see objects and where they were in my room. I turned over and by my bookshelf that's in the wall, right smack dab in the middle of it, was a dark hooded figure. It stood from my floor to my ceiling, which is probably about like 8 feet, and it was staring down at me. It scared me and I turned over and pretended like I didn't see it, but I have been terrified of the dark ever since. All this happened when I was in high school. I am now 22 and I still am deathly afraid of the dark.

I have also seen a woman's face when I was sleeping and that didn't help either. All of this made me relive a child hood experience from when I was maybe 10 or 11. I used to see the figure of a man who would stand in my doorway watching me and now, after things I have seen, it makes me wonder what I saw then.

I haven't seen anything else but I feel things. I feel things especially when I am in the dark. I feel dark presences surrounding me. It's like the darkness is closing in on me. It terrifies me and I hate it. It makes me not want to be in the dark. I can't sleep in the dark anymore. I have to have some sort of light in my room to help me sleep. It makes me feel weak and helpless not being able to be in the dark. I feel like, how can I tell my daughter not to be afraid of the dark, that there is nothing to be afraid of when I don't believe it.

I mean, could my daughter be sensing the same things I do? She is two and a half and she says she is scared when I put her in her room for bed.

I just need some advice and help.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hhall7, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Twilight1011 (9 stories) (314 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-22)
But to the OP, I wouldn't feel embarrassed about being afraid of the dark still. I'm almost 30, and I'm still afraid of the dark. Like you, it was a fear that started when I was younger. At first my theory was, to sleep in the dark, because if something was really there, then I don't want to see it. But after so many frightening experiences, I felt that I hated not seeing if something was there. Luckily with my husband by my side at night, I can sleep in the dark again, but that took a few years before I was able to. It didn't help that my husband hates any kind of light on, when he goes to bed, so with so many years of him dealing with my fear, I felt it only fair for me to try and see if I could sleep in the dark again. As for your child, what I told myself before I had kids was, if they ever come to me in fear of seeing something (which with my oldest, did happen allot), I wouldn't just brush it off, and tell them it was nothing. Knowing that there is other thing's out there. I try to be honest to my kids when it comes to stuff like that, but not scaring them over it. Hopefully thing's have gotten easier for you by now. Best wishes to you.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (314 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-22)
Sorry but just have to say this to miracles, I absolutely LOVE the show "Supernatural"! Me and my husband are huge fans! We almost have every season now. Except for 2 (not meaning season 2, but 2 more seasons). But I've wanted to bring up some thing's with that show, that I've came to realize, has a lot of truth to it. It makes you wonder who exactly Eric Kripke really is. But not trying to take up this OP's thread. So if we could talk more about the show, and the thing's in it that seem to have a lot of truth to it, under one of my stories I've told, I'd really love to hear from you, as well as any other's that would like to talk more about it 😁
internal-external (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
[at] addyfails the initial part of your statement I can relate to you. The same stuff happens to me. Its been that way ever since I was a little kid
AddyFails (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
I can kind of relate. I can feel presences around me almost constantly, and in the dark I can see flashes of things, although I tell myself my eyes are playing tricks on me.
As for your child, I think being afraid of the dark is pretty standard and maybe it's just your worry for her? Have any of your family members ever experienced the same things? If not, I don't think she'd be able to sense things the way you do. You'll just have to try to convince her that the dark is okay, and maybe by doing that you'll convince yourself! (Stranger things have happened, right?)
Good luck.
123angela4 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
I think it's normal for all kids to be scared of the dark maybe you should by your daughter a cute little nightlight 😁
mrfear672india (106 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
hhall7-Dark is the most fear factor for human beings in the world even who acts pretends to be dare.
You are saying you are weak, if you show that you are weak enough the demon raises it's power to peak.
I think it not matter of DNA.
I had one question, you and your only see these no one else in the house?
Ibelieveheshere (2 stories) (68 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Hooded Figure same thing happen to me when I was 17 now I'm 39 still remember that and dark never bother me never scare of dark just that when dark it's just your stamach feeling like Butterflys inside stirring crazy like nervous yeah that happen to me not scare just nervous.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
There's no shame in being afraid of the dark. I have been since I was a kid (and I'm 42 now) - just never grew out of it. I even have trouble sleeping in the dark with my husband right there next to me. I sometimes wait until he is asleep and then turn the bedside light back on. He will turn it out later if he wakes up, but if he gets up and it's still dark, he knows to leave a light on for me. I like to think of it as our superior DNA making sure we are survivors by making us cautious in the dark. It's called survival of the scaredest. I think the most important thing for your daughter is for her to know that you will listen to her and always be there for her. Let her know that being afraid of the dark is perfectly natural and something she will probably grow out of on her own. After all, telling her there's nothing to be afraid of won't work anyway, so why bother going there if you don't believe it either. I was told that a million times, and it didn't work for me.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Miracles: 😊 We seriously have to share comments after each show when season 8 starts lol.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Haha - yep CNK 80Q3 - I always think of chicken, except backwards LOL. I used to think it was 8003, but remembered a close up shot on one episode and I thought, "Are you serious? That's a "Q?" I always thought it was an 0!"

Anyway, I love the show LOL. I think a lot of our members do too because a lot of the advice seems to come from some of the episodes πŸ˜‰
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Jesus_soldier - I only own Seasons 1-4 😒 but have every intention of buying the rest LOL. I have to admit, though, I missed quite a few episodes in Season 7. I hate when I do that and then try and pick up the new season. It just doesn't work LOL. But I don't ever give up on them πŸ˜‰

Love that car! Darn, I was going to tell you I know the license plate number, but I'm drawing a blank. Ends with 80Q3 though LOL. CNK 80Q3? Gonna google. BRB
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Miracles: πŸ˜† I love the show, it's my favorite of all time. I own every season except season 1 and season 7 (which doesn't come out until this fall haha)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Okay, I have to say it. I don't care if it makes me look (of course you can't see me so I can't "look" πŸ˜†) like a cougar, I love Dean Winchester πŸ˜†.

Okay, I'm done 😊

Psst...He is freaking hilarious!
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
In the words of 'Dean Winchester', "Of course you should be afraid of the dark, you know what's out there!"
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
I used to be very afraid of the dark. It still to this day sometimes makes me uncomfortable, because all of the stuff I have seen has been at night. My best friend uses a night light. Lots of adults use night lights. Nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about. I would use one, except I have to have the room pretty dark in order to be able to fall asleep.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
stephy - demons, demons I tell you. They're everywhere! πŸ˜† And in every color...well, at least orange πŸ˜‰
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
stephy - at Mansfield I thought if I was last, and maybe by myself, they might be more inclined to communicate. Jerrica had asked me before the trip, "Mom, aren't you afraid?" When I asked her of what she said, "Of the prison." I told her I was more afraid of being alone by myself in a hotel room. Thankfully I was able to get a room next door to clever and her husband.

Since I've had Dalton, I've overcome a lot of fears πŸ˜†
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Miracles, there is no way you're afraid of the dark! You were always taking up the rear in the haunted prison, and you wandered off by yourself without any issues. I'm not afraid of the dark, and I didn't do that! πŸ˜†
I have nightlights too. Its not because I'm scared of demons, but rather, my orange Demon. You know exactly what I'm talking about as you have an orange Demon too! πŸ˜†
SpiderZA (2 stories) (81 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Lol, since joining the YGS site I think I have become afraid of my daughter πŸ˜† Shes also just over 2.
When she wakes up in the middle of the night she tends to talk in her half asleep state and since children are more in tune to things I have a major scaredy cat moment when this happens (even though she did it before)
She has also started mentioning a Kiki, now this is one major issue for me as the kids in our family used to call my uncle Kiki (you can see my story on here) I just hope to hell that there is a kid at school called Kiki or something similar, but I'm not going to ask...haha
I would also tell my daughter not to be scared of the dark if she asks, because even though I might be scared, parents will protect their kids from anything, even if they are sh! Tting themselves.
I think what you saw was Shadow People and if you didn't feel like it wanted to harm you then it was quite possibly just observing... They are weird that way, lol

Hope you feel a bit better

Spider
harsh (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
so this means you lost your fight to the dark? Darkness stimulates 6th sense in humans and it is ancestral to be aware of the preys around us when we were uncivilised. So when you think much then brain starts making things which you really want yourself to see or create hallucination about it. If there were real spirits then night bulbs would have been ineffective. Even sometimes I get afraid of dark and Once or twice may be I have seen figures that made me run cold. Then I took my god name and explored it out to see what I really saw and convinced my self and brain again and again that it was my wrong perception of unarranged things, like by seeing those things where I saw the figure again and again from different angles and thinking over it what gave me an illusion of spirit. This gave me strength and my fear reduced. I stay alone now and yet some nights really feel eerie but I take my God's name and ask him to keep an eye on me while I sleep and convince myself that god is watching. Even if I am not convince I try to enchant one or two prayers or Hymns just to motivate myself and then sleep soundly with all lights off.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
hhall7 - I was afraid of the dark almost my whole life. Mmm... Let me correct that. It's not the dark I was afraid of, it's what was in the dark that I was afraid of. I'll be 47 next month and I have night lights in every room in my home. I still have them, not because I'm afraid of the dark, but because I don't want to suddenly come face-to-face with one of the ghosts we share our home with in the darkπŸ˜†

People can tell you not to be afraid of the dark, but it's a whole lot easier said than done, isn't it? The only advice I have for you is based on experience. No matter how afraid you are, you don't want your little girl to be afraid of the dark too. It's a horrible feeling, isn't it? So no matter how hard it is, you have to convince your little girl that the dark is nothing to be afraid of. I did it because I didn't want my little boy to be afraid like I was. I don't know if that's how I overcame my fear or not, but I'm no longer afraid of the dark.

I would lay down with him, in the dark, and after our eyes had adjusted we would pick out everything in the room. If we couldn't figure something out and it looked "scary," I'd turn the light back on so we could see what it was. Then it wasn't scary anymore.

But I would definitely get nightlights if you don't have them. I even turn on the hall light or the light over my stove. If it makes y'all sleep better, who does it hurt?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: