You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: It's Not A School Day

Real Ghost Stories

It's Not A School Day

 

In 1969 I was 11-years-old. Our family was pretty normal. I had two brothers and two sisters still living at home, as well as mom and dad. My parents bought this two-story farmhouse in Pettis County located north of Smithton, MO.

We had lived in the old house about two years when my 17-year-old brother told me that something woke him up in the middle of the night, and when he rolled over he saw a shape in the door. He said it had broad shoulders like a gorilla and about the same height. My brother had always been a big cut up so I thought he was joking to scare the rest of us kids that slept in a very large room just to the left of his room. So I said, "You're full of it." Then he said, "Why don't you come sleep with me for a week and see if you see it."

I don't know why, but I said okay. Now here I am, 11-years-old and sometimes afraid of the dark, but I felt safe in the old house. So anyway, I had slept with my brother for over a week and nothing but he said, "It's okay. You can sleep here a little longer." So I did.

Then one summer morning, at least I thought it was morning, I guess my left foot was sticking out from under the covers and it felt like someone dug their fingernail, like striking a match, up my foot and it woke me. The first thing I did was look down to my feet and nothing was there. So I took a minute and thought, "What in the world?" Then I noticed a dim light in the room like it was breaking dawn. So I looked to the window by the head of the bed beside me and a short stocky man ran toward the door. He was wearing a green short sleeved shirt and blue overalls, so I thought it was our dad cause he had always wore overalls and it moved just like him. So I said jokingly, "Dad, get out of here and stop bothering us. We don't have school today" as he went around the corner into the unfinished room that we used to put odds and ends in. He stopped with his body in the hallway, peaked his head in the doorway, looked into my eyes with a ornery grin on his face and wiggled his fingers at me like he was waving at a child. About that time, my brother woke up and said, "What's the matter?" and I said, "Oh, Dad's over there in the doorway pestering us." My brother looked at the door and said, "Yea, Dad, let us go back to sleep" but when I looked back at the door I no longer saw him, but the hallway seem to have a light on so I figured he was in the spare room. So I shut my eyes but couldn't go back to sleep, and I didn't hear dad leave the other room. So I looked at the hallway again and the light was off so I figured he went back downstairs and left to go to work.

Well, I didn't give it much thought through the day until dad come home from work and I noticed he had a different shirt on. And I said, "What was you doing upstairs this morning pestering us?" and he said, "What?" so I repeated what I said again and dad looked at me and said, "I wasn't upstairs this morning and I haven't been upstairs for about three months. Then my mom said, "No he wasn't. He woke up late and didn't have time to even grab a cup of coffee."

To this day I still remember the grin, those glassy eyes and him waving his fingers at me. And how he looked like my father.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, vernonwolfe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Gringersnap (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-01)
Freaky! I loved reading your story! Thank you for telling it. I do wonder what it was, though...
Gringersnap ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
vernonwolfe,

Thank you for responding to the questions. Your experience that morning was truly frightening. I don't know how I would have responded, if it were me, when finding out that your father had never even come upstairs. Frankly, this account has stuck with me since I read it the first time. Rereading it just now has sent a fresh chill up my spine. It's experiences such as yours that put me to wondering if there truly are shape-shifters out there. Because other than some malevolent force, of which you definitely would have felt at the moment it occurred, I seriously think this may fall into the shape-shifter category. It's merely a guess on my part as I am no expert. But it is the only thing that comes to mind.

Thank you again,
Jav 😆
Catttie (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
Great story! Gave me a chill over my body! Thanks for sharing it:-) ... Glad you didn't follow what ever it was... And I hope it hasn't come back!
Cattie x
vernonwolfe (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
through the years I have tried to make sence of what I saw and if infact I really experienced it cause I never wanted to see a ghost but after talking with my brother that said he did see a figure pull there head out of the doorway. And talking to a minister friend of mine. That told me that it was probebly a good thing I didn't get out of bed and go in the other room to see what he was doing, he said it would be hard tellin what would have happened if I did. And javalena ask if it ever repeated itself. Well I have had other things go on but nothing like what I saw that morning. I was raised to respect and trust my parents and when dad and mom both said he wasn't upstairs that morning. Well even though it wasn't scarry at the time. It is something I have thought of all my life.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Yeah, I wonder if your brother saw the spirit at that moment as well. I loved the story. The 'foot' scene reminds me why I try not to sleep with my feet exposed or hanging off the bed. It's kind of hard when am 6'2 though haha.

Thank you for sharing 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
vernonwolfe,
I am curious about who actually saw this figure. You state, "My brother looked at the door and said, "Yea, Dad, let us go back to sleep" but when I looked back at the door I no longer saw him". So, did your brother see the figure when he looked to the doorway? Or was it you alone? Did you two discuss it afterward? What did he have to say about it? And has it ever repeated itself?

Thank you,
Jav
NATAROX101 (guest)
-1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
I, too, have had a similar experience.
I was about ten years old. I woke in the middle of the night, problably around 1:30 a.m. I had been facing towards the direction of my window when I saw a large, human sized figure kneeling beside my bed. It looked like my mom, with her blue cloud pajamas and short, curly brown hair. But I knew it wasn't her. The figure had a transparent look to it and there was a sense of fear in the air. I was so scared that I slowly laid my head back down silently, afraid that the figure was going to notice me. I closed my eyes. The only other thing I remember about that horrifying night is moving around in my bed, making moaning noises to try to convince the spirit that I had never woken up and that I had never noticed it.

I am 13 now, and to this day, I still remember the vivid image of the figure beside my bed. It has changed my life in many ways. I threw away the homemade wooden cross that the figure was kneeling towards. (I know that sounds bad, but that is how scared I was.) I never fall asleep facing the same way as I woke that morning, for I fear I will wake to the same figure. I also see, hear, and sense the other life all around me. I have since have several other experiences in my home, including a voice in my room telling me to "Get out," as well as seeing shadows out of the corner of my eye, feeling I am being watched, objects flying off my piano, (Which is from 1905-creepy!) and occasionally, my bed violently shaking at night. I have gotten used to some of these experiences and try not to let them bother me, but I will never forget the darkness of the figure beside my bed. I will never stop wondering the truth about the afterlife and what I saw that night.
Qua (39 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Agree with Siskakes. Demons and spirits like to take form of our beloved ones, especially those who have passed away. It's their way of fooling us. This occurs especially when we're on the death bed. Those who see deceased relatives around them is not a good sign. The spirits are usually past lives enemies awaiting revenge.
Siskakes (4 stories) (68 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
My cousin believes that demons like to trick us by taking ont the form of a familiar or loved one. Be careful!
tempestmoong (3 stories) (33 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Okay I have to say that I loved reading about your experience.

The thing that really got me was the foot thing.

Probably because I tend to sleep with my feet out from under the covers, that's how I regulate my body temp.

I really hate it when people mess with my feet while I'm asleep, so that's probably it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: