You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Are Dream Catchers Portals?

Real Ghost Stories

Are Dream Catchers Portals?

 

My mother is a very spiritual person and cannot be swayed from her beliefs. She was born with the gift\ curse of being able to sense and see things in the other realms.

I have had an experience before (Stifling Experience); however, I don't sense or see anything from the other realms. I'm very okay with that.

I do have a question, though, as I'm not entirely sure what to believe.

My sister is a very... For lack of a better word, "spirited" person. She tends mostly to be moody and keeps to herself. She has bouts of depression and (according to us) serious anger management issues. She has been this way her entire life.

Anyways that was just some background. My mother always says to her that the dream catchers and incense dragons, etc in her room are portals that allow the entities into the house. My mother always says that there is a dark presence around my sister (not an entity but just "bad\dark" energy). My mother believes that my sister let it in. My mother has prayed, blessed and even tried just talking to my sister but believes the "darkness" won't leave because my sister "likes\wants" it around. Now that does scare me!

My mother also does not encourage us to watch ghost\ horror movies etc as she says that's how the bad entities enter our world.

From my previous story, I have mentioned that I am very scared of these sorts of things and luckily don't see anything, but lately I have been even more scared as I believe I did experience something a couple months back.

So can dream catchers, etc somehow be portals? How can we get rid of the "darkness" around my sister?

Other hauntings by Siskakes

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Siskakes, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Michore (30 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-07)
Hi Siskakes, as far as I know your mother is right, there are many believes around these questions but I'll tell you what experianced and know, dream catcher does act like demon portals or rather thay atract demons and evil spirits, those bad/evil forses and auras your mother is talking about could posebly be evil spirits. Evils spirits don't have a spiritual form/ body what thay mostly do is invluance people, like a spirit of glutony influances you to always be hungry, like your walking into a place and you suddenly have the urge to eat but your not hungy etc. Anway the only person who can get rid of them is your sister, but you can do in this situation is pray for, praying is extreamly powerful eventhough it seems so simple, what your mother can do is "standing in the gap" do some reasurch on that. If you have more question you can always email me, I'll explain things in more detail michaeljamesvictor [at] gmail.com
Siskakes (4 stories) (68 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-05)
Thank you Javelina - I'll havea think about it, nothing really comes to mind now though.:)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-04)
Siskakes,
I have to agree with redphnx when it comes to your sister. Red has it right in so many ways. Her and I are very much alike in things like that, attitude, temper, both having red hair. Both of us stigmatized as children for our red hair and freckles. It is brutal what happens to kids that are singled out for something nature provided. And though we were redeemed as we got older and our hair color became an asset, the foundation had already been laid. We had grown up being ridiculed and hated simply for the color of our hair. Pretty silly when you look at it now, right?
Having said that, is there something about your sister that she would have been singled out for? You may not even have been aware of what, if anything, she had endured simply for her silence on the matter.

Jav
Siskakes (4 stories) (68 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-04)
cascata00 - Just because you don't get a response straight away or over several days, does in no way, give you any right to condem negativity on someone. Thakn you for your help but in future be respectful!

This comment from Cascata00 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Cascata00 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-30)
Meh, sorry if I had scared you, and if I freaked you out a little bit, but I am only trying to help... I seriously am.
~Cascata00
Cascata00 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-30)
And if you don't use any of that, because you want to make her happy, which won't help much, that energy might stay to her, which will not be good. You have to use cider or sage. And well, tobacco might help some but don't go lighting a cigarette, you going to get a bag of it some sort and burn it, in a un burnable dish. It shall cleanse her aura, her soul. And rid of that energy.
-Cascata00
Cascata00 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-30)
And yes they do love feeding on negative energy, making her happier and think positive, is actually only part of the cleansing to help her, and to help her, you still need to use some sage... If you cannot afford stick sage, I guess you'll have to use rubbing sage. Or if you can get some cider wood, that will also defiantly help. You can also lite that as well!
And how to do it is use a feather, you can do it with both (cider or sage) , cleanse the room and her. Let the feather catch some smoke and rub it on her hands, and the outer sides of her legs, and her hair, and when you do the room (meaning room, whatever room she sleeps in) , say a prayer. Lite the tip if you can get a stick, and sway it in cracks, and cranny's, and line the smoke with the door, and let some smoke hit the windows as well, spirits can come through windows, if you didn't know that. And if you have enough, do the entire house! Do the bathroom, all bedrooms, a basement or attic if you have one, because the energy can hide, from you and her! If the bathroom has windows, do the windows, let the smoke it every single thing it can, except for tables and furniture, unless you know it is attached to any furniture, then I'd do it. All the widows in the house, every door, and the floor. Like I said it can linger and hide from you. Don't forget the roof, but only the inside, I mean the ceiling in every room too. Your welcome.
-Cascata00
Cascata00 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-30)
Well sage is actually really meant for to rid of those energies, trying to make her happy might not help so much. I know that, because it is what its used for in my culture, we are very spiritual, just letting you know... Its known to be used in Northern Native cultures and Southern. Meaning Alaskan Natives and Southern Natives, I mean by that, lower 48s. And if a dark energy is following her, or is with her, let the smoke of the sage rub on her, it doesn't like it so much and will leave immediately. I assure you it will help. Its a spiritual native medicine...
-Cascata00 😐 😊 😐
k416jp (4 stories) (10 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
I'm not sure but I think the best way to get rid of the dark energy is to try and make her happier and have her think more positive. I think that evil spirits love and feed on depression and negative energy. I really don't know anything about dream catchers... I love Native American culture and need to read more about the dream catchers. Good luck to you and your family 😊
Cascata00 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
I don't know why people think they are portals, even my sister did... πŸ˜• 😐 😐
-_-
Cascata00 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Me being a native American and all, no offense, and all that, Um...
No dream catchers aren't portals. They attract 'bad' or evil dreams. Such in so like that, just use sage it should rid of the evil energy. Not a herb sage, like it is crumpled up (meant for soup in all, not saying it doesn't work, rubbing sage will never work, it just doesn't). The large stick sage, that you can burn.
You see the big stick sage, when you lite the tip, you hold it up in the air, and it gets those hard to reach spaces, and that is why rubbing sage difficult to use... And rubbing sage was never the proper thing to use, but you can order the large stick at any website, if you look it up, or buy it at a market, not super market. But also the stick will stay a flame, its embers, and creates the cleansing sage. Your welcome.
Cascata00 😲 😳 😁
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
LOL. Yeah being a bored teen isn't good for anyone πŸ˜†

They said that because I read tarot cards. I still do and am spot on. I scared one of her brothers friends because I told him parents were going to get divorced. He hadn't told anyone yet and I saw it. He went white and ran out of the room. He never came near me after that. Aparently he told my friends mom and her mom thought I was "the devil"

Hence, teenage revenge.
Gargoyle (51 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
redphx, HaHaHaHa! You took me by surprise there. I've sprayed my tea all over my desk!
πŸ˜†
I'm getting some funny looks here...
Siskakes (4 stories) (68 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
redphx - I hear what you're saying and I do agree. Thats why we haven't really approached her about it. We suggested family counseling once and I wound up with a bruised cheek...

As for your last comment: Brilliant! But I can't scare my sister anymore than she already is, she is terrified of the dark and does not like any ghost stories what-so-ever.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
or what I would do is scare the living daylights out of them. My friends family said that about me and my friend. So what we did was invent ghosts that didn't exist and move things around on them. And tell them stories. When they would sleep we would walk up to their rooms and bang on walls.

That was a special time in my life. They still don't know we did that to this day.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
I would just be careful about insulting your sister. If someone came up to me and said, hey Red you are angry and you have problems and you need help. There are dark forces around you...

I would punch them right in the face.

Your sister may just be high strung and if she is in her teens it could just be hormones.
Jimmiejam (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
That's no problem, the only thing I can think of to describe how I do this is, when I feel the bad overtaking, I pull / channel pure white light goodness through my 7th chakra (aka crown, at the top of the head) and feel the love going through me. I used to have to think happy thoughts to get the true effect but now I can just do it.

Of course if you go down this route, getting her to believe is another matter.

Although you could get better at this and then touch your sister anywhere and feel the energy flowing through you into her, but be careful though cause she could think you're just crazy and break contact lol.
Siskakes (4 stories) (68 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Thank you jimmiejam, that's very interesting. I don't believe my sister is aware of the darkness and if she is, I'm not sure if she knows how to harnesss\ control it. But if you're saying you are able to then its worth a shot:)
Jimmiejam (14 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Hey Siskakes

It's very interesting that you have both good and evil (of sorts) in your house, and even though I feel for your mum in the way of seeing what's going on, I can also relate to your sister in my own way. (Sorry if I go on a little, I feel I want to explain and justify myself sometimes incase anyone doesn't fully understand, or gets the wrong impression).

I can understand this position because I've had both good and bad in me since as long as I can remember. If I want to call upon the good cleansing, healing, nurturing warm power from what I believe is the Buddhic Dimension, then I just can. That also goes for when I want to call on the evil hate, fear, negative of the void too (I mostly use it for fear like when I change my voice and a scary look in my eyes, but also defense etc).

Bear in mind I only use the bad when it is justified, I have morals, respect people and am always nice until someone pushes too far (and yes I allow some leeway). I use it as a personal way of inducing karma, like a "Give as good as you get, and treat as you want to be treated", and once I feel balance has been restored between us, I carry on as normal.

Yes it does feel like a battle inside of me constantly, but I balance it out most of the time when one side (mainly bad) gets out of hand and I don't want them to.

I can't speak for your sister, but this may give some insight. The reason I haven't got rid of my evil is partly because I can at least up to now control it, but mainly because I like having that edge to me, so as to say that I can draw on any power at any time, and if someone really gets to me, I am not weak and defenseless, I can get them back.

Although evil is also a seductive power so that could also be a reason she has kept it with her.

That reminds me, I also keep it because I like the idea of going to every part of the astral, and if that happened to lead me somewhere bad, I can just mould in as one of them and they will leave me alone.

Sorry about that tirade. So as far as your sister goes, the only advice I can think to give to you is to try to show her how divine good can be by being extra nice to her, and personally I would emit a healing touch with the warm sensation through her so she could feel it that way too. But if not possible, then you could work with the nice tones of voice, friendly offers and gifts etc, without being too obvious what you're doing.

Not to put your sister down in any way but I believe that it's negative in the house because of her, and the reason you all still get along is possibly because of your mum knowing when the negativity gets too far out of hand and how to deal with it. So either your mum holds everything together, or your sister let's her love through enough to push the negativity aside, or at least enough to leave your families' relationship harmony together alone (mostly).

Best of luck though 😁

Yeah Cliney1212 you have a point there, I think that these dream catchers are the same result as leaving a light on, because of the belief that it is protecting them somehow, is the reason that it really works. Although you may get some enchanted ones if you're lucky I suppose. Either that or bad entities might see it in curiosity or fear and get caught up in it.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Siskakes,
Redphnx was mostly right in her explanation. DreamCatchers play a very important role in the Native American culture. Yes, they are just as their name implies, catchers of dreams. If you own one you will notice that the web design that adorns the inner area of the circle, is attached to the outer hoop in eight places. No more, no less. This represents the eight legs of the spider. The center will have a small hole. And sometimes they will also have a bead woven into the design. The bead represents the spider, the hole is where the good dreams that are caught in the web can slide through. A feather will be attached in the center. Good dreams pass through the hole, slide softly down the feather, and are delivered as we lay sleeping. The bad dreams are caught up in the web, and are destroyed when the first light of day hits them.
Dreamcatchers were traditionally woven by grandmothers and given to their grandchildren as infants. Small ones that could be attached to the cradle board their mothers carried them in. Larger ones, would be hung indoors for sleeping at night, and were shared by entire families.
They are beautiful in design and function. They are still being made by hand where I live, and the only difference in the ones sold to the public and the ones woven for Native Americans, is the feather used. It is against the law for them to sell or give away the feathers of any bird of prey (Eagles, hawks, turkeys, etc). These are sacred. The Dreamcatchers sold to the public will have a feather from another type bird attached, but are still just as functional and beautiful.

Jav ❀
Siskakes (4 stories) (68 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Thank you so much for all of your help! I feel better and a lot more positive about the situation.
WhiteWolf (4 stories) (147 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
The bad entities in which your mother speaks of are drawn to your sister since you said that she has had depression and has an anger management problem. I suggest that your sister must seek help for her issues because if she draws more anger into the home a poltergeist will be created.

I also have to say that a Dream catcher is not a portal I have one over my bed because I still have night terrors. If the "spider" which is the bead that captures the bad dreams is still in the dream catcher then it will work if not then the dream catcher is useless.

Thank you for sharing your story 😁.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Your mother may have a point about the dangers of opening ourselves up to paranormal activity simply by taking an interest in it (by watching movies, attempting to contact spirits, etc.). However, I believe dream catchers are meant to be protective and are not, in and of themselves, going to attract negative spirits. It seems more likely they are attracted to your sister's dark energy. Perhaps she should consider seeking medical treatment for her mood and anger. I'm not a big proponent of pharmaceuticals, but that may be one option for her if she's not interested in talk therapy. This "darkness" your mother senses may just be a question of brain chemistry that's a little out of whack.
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
My daughter had night terrors at around 5 years old. These happened nightly and they are very dramatic (screaming in terror pointing in fear at things that aren't there etc) I bought her a dream catcher hung it over her bed and told her it would catch all the night time nasties... Worked a treat the night terrors stopped and finally we could all sleep again... They do work (if you believe they do) ❀
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
no mine were made by the Natives on the McDowell Mtn reservation that I live next to. They don't do anything. The thing that they are supposed to do it "catch" your bad dreams. When the sun comes up the nightmares are destroyed because they were caught in the web.

I've never had anyone have bad anything from a dream catcher. I've never seen a mass produced one. I am sure that any object would become tainted with energy if someone believes it will. But they are meant for good, not bad
Siskakes (4 stories) (68 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Thank you for all of your replies and assistance.

I'll have to perform the ritual without my mother in the house or else she will flip. Lol

As for my sister she is now 21 however has ever since a little child been like this. I agree and have always thought it was just her personality. If it is an entity however that may seem easier to "fix" that changing her personality.

I have just been looking for options and ways to change things. Very negative energy at home, however we all get along well so its very confusing.

Thank you all again so much!
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Hey Siskakes, just read your previous story and that is really chilling... I would def say that you are perhaps sensitive if you felt that. I'm not sure about the dreamcatchers, but I wouldn't go as far as blaming them... Though seems rookdygin has summed it up really well.lol... Have you spoken to your sister indepth about any of this... Or is it hard to get through to her. If it was my sister I would flip and tell her to sort that shiat out. But aslong as your mom knows what's going on atleast you can look to her for reassurances. Your situation sounds really similar to my mom, my older sister (you), and how I used to be as a teenager.Uncanny.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Siskakes,

Thank you for asking such an interesting question. So let me explain...No, No let me 'sum up' as explaining would take to long...

Redphx,

Dream-catchers don't do anything? While I can agree there are those mass produced for the home decoration market that do absolutely nothing, Dream-catchers, if made according to proper tradition and with the sole intent of doing just what their name implies (my opinion folks) can be very effective.

They are not 'portals' nor were they ever meant to be. Having said that, if your sister has gotten into the occult and has used any of the ones she owns for some sort of ritual it may mean that she 'created' a portal using an 'item' of her choice.

Depending on her age the any 'activity' may be poltergeist in nature.

Redphx is right of course, some of it may be just your sisters 'natural' personality.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for... You may wish to try this in your home... Or ask your Mother if she thinks it would make a difference...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Thanks for sharing, please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
Ibelieveheshere (2 stories) (68 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
I never heard of Portal come out of Dream catcher cause I have two or more that I can't remember *I'm shoppingalic to keep buy things* so No Portals don't come out of Dream catcher only the Board that I can're Spell the name right and Some Mirror can and some where in the House like Closet or some Corner can have portals so that all and About Your sister could be in teen have have this what you call hormones a Mood swing kind. Just never heard of Portals in dream catcher.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: