You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghosts On The Farm 2

Real Ghost Stories

Ghosts On The Farm 2

 

It's been a long time since I've gotten on YGS and it's good to be back! A lot has happened in that time.

The Clock

While digging around in my house's attic for interesting old things (we've got 1500-year-old Indian pottery up there), I found a nice wooden mantle clock. After a short period of having it plugged in and functioning, I got tired of the deafening tones that the clock gave out every hour and unplugged the clock. A few weeks later, I was staying up late reading a book when the clock banged out its midnight tones.  I almost fell out of my bed.  

The clock, upon investigation, was still unplugged. I am certain I was not dreaming, as I was reading a book and remembered what I'd read when I woke up the next morning. I'm not sure which spirit to associate the clock mischief with, but I was told by my dad that my late grandfather was fond of mantle clocks and that the one I'd found in the attic belonged to him.

The Man in the Brown Jacket

While walking around in the woods near the small cemetery mentioned in my first story, I believe I encountered a new ghost. Me, my dad, and my brothers often walk around and occasionally excavate in the woods after school to find old bottles and other artifacts. I had broken off from them and was walking towards the edge of a field when I encountered a briar patch and turned around. While turning, I saw what looked like a man with a brown jacket or long-sleeved shirt standing a few feet away from me. I did a double take and looked around, but found nothing that I could have mistaken for a person.  I called out to my family and they were still far away. The hair on the back of my neck stayed up for quite some time after that. I believe that this ghost was one I have not encountered before, and not the grey man, given the difference in clothing between the two. As I said, I was near the cemetery, and I am wondering if the man I saw might be buried there.

Prophesy by Newspaper?

In a bizarre turn of events, which has scared us much more than any of our ghosts, one of the houses on our farm was torched recently by an arsonist that has been burning abandoned buildings throughout our area. The entire house was destroyed, taking with it the family heirlooms that were being stored there by another family. One section of the wall was, miraculously, untouched by fire. Inside the wall there, my uncle found a newspaper from the '30s. The newspaper was dated to exactly 77 years, to the day, before the house burned down. Not sure if this counts as paranormal, but it was certainly an eerie discovery.

Other hauntings by Mountaineer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mountaineer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-13)
I enjoyed your story - especially the part about the newspaper. Paranormal or not it sure makes you go 'hmmm' (in a very good way) and it is unexplainable by any conventional logic. Besides isn't that also a scenario added to almost any 'ghost story' we heard as kids? "Exactly x many years ago on this very day..." So, I say it fits.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-07)
A receptive eat would be scary. I like my food to go quietly. But in all seriousness, I've been wondering all of the same things myself. We are forever herring strange sounds, but this particular one really caught me off guard. I wasn't even thinking of the piano when I heard the noise, and did not remember that one was present until after I heard it.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-06)
I mean ears. Waiting for receptive ears.

We usually just get a few seconds of sound.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-06)
Interesting! Sounds are tricky. Did we imagine them? NAre they replaying? Waiting for receptive eats?
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-06)
As a minor update, I drove down to the house that burnt down today to pick it over and see if there was anything worth taking home. While going through the contents of a shed, I heard a sound that sounded exactly like the six or seven keys farthest to the left (not good with piano terminology) on a piano being pressed. At that moment, I recalled that one of the women who had been storing family heirlooms in the house had said that her grandmother's piano was the thing she would miss the most. Intrigued, I trudged up into the ruins of the house to find what was left of the piano, and did. It was burnt, broken, and in no way operational. I tried pressing all of the keys, but none of them worked. So I am left with no reasonable explanation.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
What very interesting stories here, Mountaineer. I wish that those heirlooms were not destroyed by some stupid little arsonist (did they catch him/her?). That would've freaked the heck out of me with clock chiming. I would've been quite dumbstruck for a while. It's good to know that the fire did not destroy the newspaper.
Again, really great story.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
I'm flattered Agette! And I agree, I couldn't ride the bus home that day because my driveway was filled up with fire trucks and police cruisers. My little brother had nightmares.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
I missed you, Mountaineer, and was just wondering the other day when we would hear from you again.

Yes, the fire is the scariest of all.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
They only burned down one of our buildings, but burned down another house and barn across the street the previous night. They tried to burn down another two or three buildings. They eventually stopped and the authorities never caught them. When I heard about the newspaper it sent chills down my spine. That's no coincidence, in my opinion.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
who the heck is doing that to your properties? That is awful. I hate it when people burn down buildings that contain history. Humans are awful creatures.

These are good accounts. I really like the story of the newspaper
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
The newspaper incident is fascinating. I'm sure a mathematician or statistician would explain to us how there's no such think as coincidence and it's all explicable by math formulas, but I still find it hard to believe there's no meaning in such a thing. After all, the math formula itself is part of the wide and mysterious universe. Just because we've put our finger on that tiny piece of the puzzle, doesn't mean there isn't something bigger at work. What that might be, I have no idea.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: