You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Strange Woman On A Lonely Road

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Woman On A Lonely Road

 

Before I get into details of my experience, I might as well give the required background information. The location is Hampton, GA, close to the NASCAR racetrack, commonly referred to as AMS by the locals. The date was just three short days ago, June 22nd, 2012. The time, around late afternoon, maybe 1300 or 1430.

So, the other day, I was out for a simple joy ride. I intended on going to the local airport, since I haven't been in so long. So, I took a back road to get there. I followed the main road, and took a left onto Wilkins Rd., a relatively secluded dirt road with just about 5 or 6 houses. As soon as I turned onto Wilkins Road, I spotted a woman. She looked rather young, maybe mid to early 20's. She was wearing a long dress, similar to something worn by a woman of the 1800's. Her hair was pulled up and tied back, and a doctors mask covered her mouth. As I drove past, going approximately 25 miles per hour (a modest, yet moderate speed), she stopped dead in her tracks, turned towards my car, and motioned both of her hands down as though she was telling me to slow down.

It was extremely strange. I didn't bother to look back in the rear view mirror. After talking things over with my mother, who is very interested in paranormal activity/ghost sightings, she believes that if it was paranormal, the girl was probably a guardian type of spirit, who was warning me of something. I honestly don't know. Maybe it was paranormal. I have been doubting myself about what I saw, while also keeping an open mind. But I figured it was a story worth sharing.

What do you all think of it? Could it just be a woman who happens to choose a lifestyle similar to a time period of long ago? Or maybe something more, surreal.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mmblack663, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

BattleScars (3 stories) (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-24)
Have you asked locals about this woman? Maybe someone has answers?
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-27)
it was probably someone coming or going to a fancy dress party... Or maybe she was taking part in a play that day... Simple as that... Job done...
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-06)
This may have been angelic...
Back before I renewed my faith in the Lord, I spent a lot of time partying, and church wasn't anywhere on my radar.

I noticed, however, that if I got up on Sunday morning, and walked up to the convenience store for coffee, I'd see the same woman, in exactly the same place, every time. She was a tall black lady, dressed as if for church, always the same outfit-yellow dress with white polka dots, white gloves, and a big white straw hat with a yellow ribbon.

She'd be standing behind a waist-high white picket fence between two buildings on tyhe opposite side of the street. She smile at me, wave, and say the exact same thing each time, "You goin' to church today, honey?"

I never saw her any other time, any other place, and I knew most of the neighborhood folks at least by sight.

I think I was being warned.
mmblack663 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-03)
Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I drove down that road a quite few more times since that day, and I haven't seen her since. Strange.
[at] Javelina, I see what you mean, and that has crossed my mind on many occasions.

But once again, thank you all:)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-03)
wwhite,
From the information given, I would not be thinking it was paranormal at all. There are people all over this country that dress in that manner regularly. Many simply prefer the style, others belong to churches that still call for that type of dress. There are lots of reasons people choose certain styles. The mask can be explained by the road conditions. You said it was a dirt road. Well, when walking down that road and a vehicle comes by, that kicks up the dust, and being an asthmatic myself I can't tell you how hard that is on the lungs. Plus, the faster the vehicle travels, the more dust it kicks up. That would easily explain her motioning you to slow down. I hope you did, for her sake.

Jav
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-03)
Hi Wwhite, I feel that with a single encounter like this, when you were travelling in a car and she was in the round showing some signs, it would be difficult to know whether it is a paranormal activity or not. Except to the dress she was wearing, which you said probably belonged to 1800s, the information is quite insufficient to know whether it is paranormal. If you go through the same road again, same time or at different times and if you experience the same encounter, then we can confirm it. I don't say that it is not paranormal experience but not with a solitary experience of what you experienced, it is quite difficult to classify it as such. Thanks for sharing anyway.
Grimm-Reaper24 (1 stories) (31 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-02)
if she was wearing a doctor's mask, she could have been a field nurse or a triage nurse from the civil war
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-02)
I always find these encounters fascinating. I realize that a lot of them sound the same, but why wouldn't they? I have been to the cemetary in Illinois where they say Resurrection Mary is buried, as well as Willowbrook ballroom where she supposedly left the night she died. My husband and I encountered a young man on a lonely stretch of road just outside of Willow Springs, but not Mary herself.
I believe she was possibly from the days of slower moving "motorized carriages", and was warning you to slow your speed. Or perhaps something was happening ahead, and if you proceeded in the manner in which you were, you could have been involved. It's not impossible for it to have been paranormal, I suggest you have another go, and see if she returns. You may have just encouraged me to share my encounter.:)
mrfear672india (106 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-02)
Hi white,
The title of your story really forced me to read these.
I think she had died there of road accident and warning everyone to go slow thus, wishing everyone go safe.

Thanks for sharing.
H05VV-F (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-02)
Very interesting encounter, I think it might actually be a young lady from the 1800s who died there not sure though. Thank you for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: