You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Visit From The Past

Real Ghost Stories

Visit From The Past

 

When I was little I used to stay with my grandma in the house that she grew up in. This house had been in the family for nearly 100 years at the time.

My grandma's bedroom was right next to what she used to call the Parlor and it had huge double doors that opened up to that room. One night when I was about 9-years-old, I was sleeping with my grandma and was suddenly awakened by strange noises. I sat up in bed and when I looked into the Parlor I could see people in their Sunday clothes visiting and having coffee. There was a woman with dark hair put up neatly in a bun serving their coffee. I watched them for awhile and for some reason I wasn't scared. The woman turned and looked at me and gave me a huge smile. I remember smiling back and then I laid down and went back to sleep.

When I woke up in the morning I thought it was a dream. I started telling my grandma about it and described what I had seen. She told me that I had described her mother, my great-grandmother perfectly, right down to a broach she used to wear all the time. I have never seen a picture of my great-grandmother so I know that I wasn't dreaming.

I used to have a lot of dreams about the stairs in that same house. I would have the same dream every year around Christmas time and I was scared to death of the upstairs. Whenever I was up there I could feel a presence and I felt like I was intruding on their space. My brothers used to feel the same thing. My mom said when she lived there, her bedroom was upstairs and she could hear people going up and down the stairs all the time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ancestor5234, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
Great story. It's strange how both you and your brother felt a bad vibe from the stairs.

Thanks for sharing! 😊
NiNiNogginHead (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
The fact the she turned and smiled at you shows that this isn't just an event that is being replayed. She doesn't seem to be a threat and it sounds like she was happy to see you. I think that there is another spirit around the stairs.
kathwitt (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
I like this story! Old houses are always interesting - especially if they have a history!
That's very cool that you described the woman you saw so perfectly, only to find out that it was a family member! It's heartwarming when you say that you smiled back and went to sleep.
I wonder (and I don't know... I'm just throwing out a "point to ponder") if this could possibly be a residual energy? I am curious because it sounds so, but she turned and engaged you in a smile... Very cool!
TouchMyKeyblade (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-04)
I honestly (Did you say you were freaked out? O.o) think that there's nothing to worry about. They sound like really nice people who are just having a god time:3
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-03)
A house that old is bound to have left over energy. Everyday of our lives our energy is being embedded into the wood work and our surroundings. That's your family. Don't be afraid of them, they are not going to hurt you. This is just their way of checking in you and the rest and letting you all know that they are happy, at peace and still doing the things they loved to do in life. The body dies, but the soul lives on. That's sweet, they are still serving tea and having a party!

Thanks for sharing!
Mhannerism (2 stories) (82 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-03)
I remember something about dream facts, one of them is you wouldn't dream about someone if you haven't see them personally.
I mean our minds doesn't create something if we haven't see one. Ah, so difficult to explain.
So clearly, it wasn't a dream. Nice story.
I always wondered what if I lived in early 1900s? That would be sweet. No much corruptions, healthy food, no mobile.
I am going to favorite this! 😊
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-03)
That is a very cool story. Makes you wonder if it were a visit replayed from the past or spirits in the real time. That the one turned and smiled to you indicates it was the latter.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: