You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Ghost? Or my Imagination?

Real Ghost Stories

A Ghost? Or my Imagination?

 

Hello. I am a 14 year old girl, and I believe that my house is haunted by someone or something. One day I was home alone downstairs on the computer. I was just sitting there and I heard a knocking. I knew it couldn't be either of my pets because they were sitting right in front of me in plain view, sleeping. And I also went upstairs to see if someone was at the door, no one was. It really freaked me out. Then it stopped and started again.

Previous to this, at night while I am in bed, I can hear someone or something walk back and forth in my hallway. I know it is not my pets because my dog sleeps upstairs and my cat sleeps with me, and my cat is normally sitting with me when I hear it. And also I will be home alone and be sitting on the couch upstairs reading and something walks up and down the stairs. I repeatedly look over the mantle at the stairs and I don't see anything. I have told my parents about this stuff and they just think I am joking around and they don't listen to what I say. I have studied all sorts of paranormal activities and I have come to the conclusion that my house may probably be haunted.

I also watch all the haunted shows on TV, i.e. Most Haunted and A Haunting. My mom thinks that it might be my imagination running wild. But I don't think so. What do you think and what should I do?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, haunted, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-19)
It's been a while since you wrote that. Is it still happening? If it is then there's probably something to it. I hope you've tried recording it or using a camera.
thephantomcreeper (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-19)
Out of curiosity, how long has this been happening? When did it start? How long have you lived in the home?

The reason for asking is there's been some speculation that teenagers are more prone to experiencing hauntings; Many hauntings have begun with a child in the household entering their teens. Likewise, some children who have psychic abilities lose them when they hit puberty. Generally, in these cases, the teenager is also the focus of the haunting; That is, the spirit seems mostly to involve them (Be it by communication or violence.)
Children are often more sensitive to spirits; Meaning your parents simply aren't experiencing the manifestations. Most adults tend to remain skeptic unless faced with something paranormal head on.

You might try ignoring the spirit and see if this causes it to lose interest. It could, but the spirit might also take to manifesting differently, so keep your eyes peeled.
Smudge sticks are reported to make spirits happy; It won't make them leave, however. Try taking a smudge stick (A bundle of sage, you can by them at the Aquairum Bookstore in Cary Town among other places), lighting it, and after blowing out the flame, walking the smoke from room to room. Tried this and had good results, but have heard that spirits can react differently (For example, holy water only makes some very, very angry.)

Photographs are still advised--Sometimes things show up on film that simply aren't there (Same works with digital) normally!

Do try and find out how old your home is, and if it has a basement or such, checking it out when you hear the noises. "Pipes banging" may sound absurd, but when pipes do bang, they really can sound like a lot of other things--including the sound you mentioned first. If your near pipes or such, it may help to check them out just to rule it off as a possible explantation; Been personally fooled by the sound of them, as they can sound identical to footsteps and door slamming and banging.
You should also check into the history of the house; How old it is, when it was built, who lived in it, died in it, etc. Depending, you could even pick up an incident report from the police if you think the spirit is from someone recent--this is handy for haunted apartments.
Canyouseeme (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-13)
The ears can be deceiving, like any other mobile mines makes a sound when I get a text and sometimes I swear I can hear it goin of... It being a text or a call, but when I check...nothing.

I have a story that's similar to this but I put it down to a human being the fault of it.

Im not saying that your story isn't true but that it could be explained.

With you being 14 your parents are never going to listen unless they have proof lol

As for the noises outside your bedroom, you said that your dog sleeps upstairs but can you say for sure that he/she isn't walking about before going upstairs?

As for the walking up and down the stairs is another story, I did say the ears can be deceivign and your mind can imkagine that youve heard something when you acctually haven't i.e. Me with my mobile.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted x
nimrod (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
yeah I have a problem with that.
naturally, being 16, nobody believes me.
i hear what sounds like someone descending the stairs. Sometimes the "person" will open a door or walk towards the hallway. I go to look and nobody is there. I will go upstairs and see if someone went downstairs. It's freaky.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-05)
It is commonly at around your age when you become susceptable to these happenings. You become more aware and entitys will try to contact you or relate to you.

Be catious in how you resond. Pray. Read the Bible, or follow in your belief system and never loose sight of your faith and the faith you must have in yourself.

God Bless!
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-26)
Dear huanted,

What do you think? It is quite possible that you are allowing your imagination to get away with you or that you are adding to the creation of great emotion and causing some poltergeist activity yourself. On the other hand, if you think you have a ghost sharing your house, you may want to do your own investigating for yourself. The way you get another to understand your point of view, as in the case of your parents is to present them with evidence, research and some good reliable resources as proof or what is the next best thing to the real thing. Do your homework and share it with your parents. You could make it a family fun and ghost friendly project. I am sensing you and yours will be just fine.--Abby
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-25)
Try taking photo's when you hear the noises, or feel like there is something around. I know it's not always easy to set up video cameras (especially if your parents are keen on the idea) But taking random photo's can often produce things that aren't seen my the naked eye. Or maybe try and set up a voice recorder, you can leave it running and conceal it out of sight if needed. EVP's are scarey as hell, but can often produce some really cool phenomena. Keep us updated!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-25)
You my dear are at that age where it could be you creating these poltergiest type of activities. The mind is a very powerful instrument that we still are not sure what all it is capable of doing. If you look at it from a scientific point of view we only use 10 percent of our mental capacity. Think of what we could do if we could unlock the other 90 percent.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-24)
Take pics and do what gabbster13 said! You need proof that you can't fake to make your parents beleive. Or tell the ghost to leave you alone. It only happens to you right? If so you might be huanted! Because I am since a lot of stuff happens to me. I even asked the ghost which is a child and she said yes. I believe she's my gaurdin Angel because when bad things happen, they normall don't happen to me! I hope that can expalin why I didn't get hit during that car accident where cars were flipping.
Blessings to everyone,
Mikomi
gabbster13 (1 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-24)
i have had the same experience as you. You should set up a camera and a recorder if you have one. Then show your parents. Or get a local priest to bless the house. Good luck

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: