You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Heard Knocking But No One Was There

Real Ghost Stories

Heard Knocking But No One Was There

 

My husband and I bought our house April 2004. We had a 3-year-old son and I was 6 months pregnant with twins. We had been living in our house for 2 weeks. One night around 10:30 pm we heard loud knocking at our back door. My husband went to the door. As he reached the door we heard the loud knock again. He opened the door and no one was there. He closed the door locked it and came back to bed.

The next night around 10:30 pm the loud knocking happened again. This time my husband ran to the door, threw it open and said, "WHAT!?" Still no one was there. We were a little irritated, thinking that it was some kids playing around; however, we have 4 acres of land between us and our neighbors. We decided to watch a movie.

At 11:30pm we heard the loud knocking plus the door knob began to shake all at the same time. We both jumped up and ran to the door. The entire time we moved toward the door, the noise and shaking continued. Our 3-year-old ran out of his room and was asking what that was. My husband open the door and screamed, "WHAT DO YOU WANT!?" No one was there. So very irritated with this, he said he was going to go outside and watch the door to see if he could catch the person doing this. He went out the front and hid behind our shed which gave him a clear view of the back door. My son and I were sitting on the couch waiting... BAM BAM BAM on the back door we jumped up and ran into my room. Seconds later my husband comes busting into the front door screaming, "No one was there. Did you hear it?" I came out of my room and said yes we heard it. He said he was watching the door when the knocking happened. No one was there and he could see the doorknob move.

We have lived here now for eight years and every April we have two weeks where someone will knock on our back door, but no one is there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, whitfefe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CaptainObvious (1 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-04-16)
Did not believe in anything until recent experiences showed me otherwise, including knockings.

1) Is this still happening this year in April
2) If it is, not this year, but next year, can I do a road trip and make my own observations?

Thanks in Advance!
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
deliriumdreamsicle, what you describe in the second part of your post sounds like a combination of a residual haunt and phantom noise. I have always wondered whether these are two separate phenomena or the same thing. However, what the poster describes seems to go beyond mere residual energy. Either that or it's a heck of a lot stronger to be able physically to move the doorknob. I'm not sure if it's strictly residual or not, although it is clearly cyclical. Strange.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
I have the same thing with my home, every August since 2009 activity in my home such as knocking and other un explained happenings intensify, the difference being with my account, I know the reason why and who's doing the knocking, my mother past away in 2009 and every August so far since then she has returned in as part of a ritual I guess to let me know she's there... I do believe your home may have a similar thing going on, for who and why? May be the hard thing to work out... IMO, I do believe something has happened during the month of April perhaps years ago that continues to manifest itself to the present time? You could do some research? Ask around and see if anyone knows what it was or what may of happened... A decade here may seem like a month over the other side and possibly still fresh on the mind of the spirit doing the knocking... I think it could be intelligent, perhaps next time ask them to stop the knocking, a reply would tick that box.
deliriumdreamsicle (18 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
*comic intermission*

This story reminded me of that summertime when I was young and our whole family was in the vacation house (in a small subdivision next to farmlands). My dad went to a neighbor's house for a meeting with the homeowners association when we heard the door bell ring continuously. At first we thought dad finally came home (with a drink too many) We looked outside through the window and couldn't see anyone there. Gave us the creeps. It kept on doing it. And then we discovered it was a COW! And it kept poking its nose on the button. That was really funny.

***Anyway, just for laughs... ***

But seriously now, I do believe in residual haunting. Or something like a ghost routine? When we were young, I had a cousin who passed away at age 7 or 9 I think from a car accident. His family lived 4 houses down from our house and he always knocked on our front door (it was victorian so there was an old and rusted door knocker that he always played with) on the way home from school. He like playing a prank on my grandmother who would always stop what she's doing to check on who was knocking. Most of the time he would run and hide and head home. It was also my grandmother's way of knowing that Jerome was headed home from school. And then he passed away. Even after he passed away, my grandmother would still hear the knocking on after-school afternoons, until it slowly fizzled away through the years. I know it wasn't just in her mind because we heard them too, and many times, we'd run to check who it is, in case it's a guest, or something.
joshuakeys (7 stories) (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
I had a similar experience, even I was was freaked out when I faced this situation. Your husband is really brave to stay out & watch.

Thanks for sharing

Josh
Lizbeth (9 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
If I were you I would move out as soon as possible, it may hurt you.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
I also agree with Rook in that it's a residual haunting. I suggest putting up some kind of recording device to see what you get because we can't always see or hear everything in real time. Also, like Mr. Fear said, put up a religious symbol of some kind from the religion that you practice to give you some kind of protection. God bless and good luck.
chadlee2003 (1 stories) (31 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
have you done research aboout the house and the land? Maybe something happened in the month of april like a break in or something. I also agree with rook this would be a great chance to maybe catch some video evidence.
bratslovergirl2011 (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
That is certanly a freaky story. Do you think that it wants something? I would be scared if that happened to me. ❤
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
How very interesting! It certainly could be residual for sure, I would definately set up some equipment next April and see what you guys catch!

Maybe looking up the history of the house will give you some idea as to why this occurs?
TheLightBeforeDawn (5 stories) (41 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
I would definitely agree with Rookdygin. It's residual for sure. This is just me, but I would definitely put some cameras up next April and see what you find. I would have LOVED to be there for it. Have you had anything else happen at your house, or is it just the knocking/banging? Have you looked up the history of the house? Most of the time, you find super interesting things when you dig into the archives:)

Goddess Bless and good luck if you do research it,
TLBD
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
Thank you for sharing this experience with us.

I think you have given us the biggest clue as to the type of haunting this may be when you stated...

"We have lived here now for eight years and every April we have two weeks where someone will knock on our back door, but no one is there."

So for 8 April's this has happened... This sounds very residual in nature... Nothing else happens, just the repeated banging and rattling of the door handle. This sounds like a researchers dream... A chance to set up cameras and other equipment and possibly 'capture' just what 'energy' is causing this to happen each Year.

Please keep us updated and I must ask if you or any of your Family have experienced anything else in your home?

Respectfully,

Rook
mrfear672india (106 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-10)
Hi white,
Really must be a spirit because your husband saw with naked eyes no one was there.
Not harmful.
I suggest that keep some religious or spiritual symbols like cross, try it.
We indians (HINDUS) put gods pictures and religious symbols at door.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: