You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: That Year With The Hounds

Real Ghost Stories

That Year With The Hounds

 

I have always been interested in the paranormal, and have had a few experiences. I am always excited when I experience something I believe to be "unusual", but quick to analyze or try to explain it.

The following chain of events took place two years ago over a one year period.

My friend Tom had accepted an offer of employment that would take him away from home for a year. Instead of closing his home and boarding his two precious basset hound companions, Tom asked if I would move in and care for his home and it's four legged occupants. I agreed and took up residence with my own two furry friends.

Upon entering Tom's home, there was a staircase on the left which led up to the three bedrooms and bathroom. The master bathroom was down the hall to the right, and to the left of the hall were the remaining two bedrooms and bathroom. You could gaze down upon the living room from the balcony that was part of the upstairs hallway.

I never felt comfortable upstairs, and avoided that part of the house if I could. Often, when sitting on the sofa downstairs, I would feel like I was being watched. Perhaps by someone standing on the upstairs balcony. It was an overbearing feeling. Almost one of judgement and scrutiny. On some occasions the feeling would be so intense that I would whip around expecting to see someone, but no such sighting ever occurred.

Every evening Tom's dog, Trixie, would migrate upstairs to sleep on his bed, and every evening as she reached his room she would stand at the doorway and bark. I suppose this would not normally bother me, but what did bother me was the rustling sound that would follow. Like she had caught someone in the act of something they shouldn't be doing. She seemed to watch something going on in the room, and then would walk in and go to sleep. This routine was always a bit unnerving, but eventually I dismissed it as my imagination.

The incident that really caught my attention took place on a gorgeous spring afternoon. I was in the middle of a sumptuous nap when I woke to the sound of more than one set of little footsteps bounding up and down the stairs. The footsteps repeated again and again. Up and down, over and over. I assumed the dogs were playing tag and sat up on the couch to put an end to this bothersome game. Instead of the naughty little dogs that I expected to see, there was nothing. I was baffled, especially when I remembered that I had locked the dogs in the garden because of the beautiful weather. Whoever the culprit (s) of these unwelcome noises were, could not have been my canine friends.

The next occurance still strikes me as funny and remains my favorite. The upstairs bathroom was home to an elaborate sequined shower curtain that would never stay on the rod. At least once a week, I would find the shower curtain on the bathroom floor in a beautiful mess. It was never torn or damaged. It would just never stay hanging and I could not come up with an explanation as to why.

I began to really consider these events and they seemed to me to be the behavior of misbehaving children. This final experience seemed to confirm my suspicion. I was in the kitchen, heading to the oven to retrieve the evening meal when I suddenly felt a sharp tug on my shirt. My shirt was yanked down, not out, as if by someone shorter than I. The light short giggle that followed sent a chill down my spine as I shouted out "that's not nice"!

Similar events took place the rest of that year, and I made my peace with the idea that I may be caring for more than just basset hounds, but it still makes me uncomfortable when I think of the presence on the upstairs balcony.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jabbajones, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
Hi again Jabba,
I wonder if there could be such a thing as a residual haunt, that gets triggered off by an 'outside influence'? Unfortunately, my knowledge doesn't extend that far... Maybe there is somebody more experienced that could tell you. Well that, to me, sounds like what is happening with the rustling. If Trixie wasn't scared, it was no big deal! Animals are very perceptive! 😉

Humm...seems to me, Tom was either in denial, or he just didn't want to let on?

Any more 'adventures' lately?

You have a pleasant day too. I enjoy chatting with you too! 😊
Jabbajones (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
Hi there, Ferqie! I actually do think that the source of the noise was made by something other than the presence on the balcony. My reasoning for this is that while I always felt watched and uncomfortable upstairs, some days it would be worse than others. Some days it could almost be tolerable to spend extended periods of time up there, and then suddenly the atmosphere changed from decent to hostile.
The being that made the rustling noise did seem residual to me. While the same thing occurred nightly, it did not always happen at the same time. It depended on what time Trixie ventured upstairs to bed, which varied. She would reach the top of the stairs, look into his room and bark. Then came the rustling. It just always seemed like she had interrupted something. The rustling stopped, and then she would enter the room and retire for the evening. I must say that Trixie never seemed frightened to go to bed. She just kind of seemed annoyed that there was someone else in the room.
I did try to discuss all these events with Tom, but he seemed uncomfortable and always tried to change the subject. The only thing he would confirm was that Trixie liked to go upstairs and bark at the pillows.
Have a pleasant day, Fergie. I really enjoy talking with you!

-Jabba
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
Hi Jabbajones, Lol! I thought you had fallen off the face of the earth. 😜 No worries, we all have our own agendas to follow.

Well, it definitely sounds like you encountered more than one spirit in that house. The one rustling the papers... Do you think that could possibly be a residual haunt? Did this occur at the same time every night? Did you feel that the source of the noise was made by a different being, to the one that watched you from the balcony?

With the noises on the stairs, and the shower curtain, that certainly sounds like children just having a bit of fun... Nothing malicious.

Did you ever get any information out of Tom? That would have been a bonus!

I will look out for your reply...don't be a stranger now! 😊
Jabbajones (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-20)
Hello, Fergie! I am so sorry that I took so long to respond. The spirit upstairs certainly seemed to be possessive and dominant. The feeling of being watched and scrutinized never eased up, and I felt unwelcome upstairs for the entire duration of my stay. The rustling in the bedroom was a nightly occurance, but I took less notice of it as time went by. The rustling sounded like to me like someone was going through, and possibly dropping papers or files.
Any other questions you may have are more than welcome, and I promise to respond in a more timely manner!

-Jabba

😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-21)
Hi Jabba; It ocurred to me, while reading your interesting experiences, that you may have encountered the 'home guardian'. He would have been very curious, to know why there was someone else living there, maybe even a little hostile at first! Did you always feel creeped out by that presence upstairs, or did it let up ater a while?
About the rustling in the bedroom... Did it also continue through out your stay? Did it sound like material or like grass?
Sorry about all the questions, but I am trying to get a clearer picture of your experiences. 😕
Thank you for sharing, I found your narrative really fascinating. 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
m.wikihow.com\how-to-research-the-history-of-your-house has some good tips. Hope that link posted correctly, posting from a smart (?) phone lol.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Have you discussed your experiences with your friend, and if so has he had similar or any experiences in the house?
Jabbajones (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Thank you to everyone for your comments. Geetha and Brandon: I feel kind of foolish when I admit that it really never occured to me that the upstairs spirit was probably just curious. That clears a lot up! As to researching the history of the house, I'm not really sure how to begin. Any recommendations? I would be thrilled to get some more information, and would gladly share the results!

-Jabba
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
I agree with the others that you have several unseen guests in your friend's house. As for the ghost upstairs, you feel uncomfortable probably because this ghost doesn't know who you are and why you are there. I will admit, it is kind of weird about your friend's dog barking at something before he goes in to sleep.

As already suggested, you and your friend should find out the history of the house. My personal suggestion, I think you should cleanse the house to get rid of any unfriendly ghosts and then if the good ones, either you or your friend could live with them or help them cross over.
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-15)
I think those child spirits are not dangerous. Try talking to them. Children are still children even in different form. Just set some rules for them. We got an 'unseen' child resident in our home who loves hiding things and stuffs. We go crazy looking for certain things and when we asked her to return it. We will absolutely see the thing/s in the place where its easy to see even though we already searched every nook and cranny of our house looking for it.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-15)
I agree that it sounds like kids playing around. I think there may be another spirit upstairs. That's probably why you felt uncomfortable. I can't say it's a bad spirit. I think the spirit was more curious about you, and why your staying at the house. You picked up on this spirit feelings. That's just a thought. Thank you for sharing.

JS aka Brandon 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-15)
You had me at basset hounds. Possibly the most smoochable dogs on earth lol.
Definitely agree that it sounds like the behavior of children. Have either you or Tom looked into the history of the house? That might offer some explanations for the activity.
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-15)
this sounds like a couple of ghost kids. I don't think there is anything to worry about there. Sounds like they were curious about you, up to being mischevious kids, and sounds like they liked you enough to get your attention. They may have been lonely too as well. I think it's a cute story, even though it may not have been too amusing in the beginning.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: