You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Visit to my Stereo

Real Ghost Stories

Visit to my Stereo

 

This is just something I thought would be interesting to share. When my kids were just little ones, (oldest being 3 years old and baby was 6 months, now they're 15 and 12) we had a pretty decent stereo system. I'm sure you can guess hubby picked it out (boys and their toys!) and he was pretty proud of it. We'd had it for just over a year with no problems but one night, we were woken up in the middle of the night when the stereo started blaring full volume. We ran downstairs at double speed to find nothing out of order except the stereo blasting a CD as loud as it could possibly could go. We quickly shut it off so the neighbors wouldn't complain. Our oldest son, Ben, was still upstairs in his room as he didn't take the stairs on his own and our youngest, McKenzie, was confined safely in his crib.

The stereo was on a high shelf for the kid's safety and so hubby's precious equipment wouldn't end up with sticky fingers all over it. The rule was that the stereo must always have the volume turned down to zero before turning it down so the speakers wouldn't blow when it got turned on. We couldn't figure out what had happened and put it down to some oddity. Well, I did, hubby thought I had been careless. We left it at that and went back to bed.

The next night the same thing happened. We shut it off and tried to figure things out. We thought of the power bar but the TV, VCR and game systems were plugged into the same power bar, which had a surge protector. This means if there is a power surge, everything will shut down. And if the power bar was defective somehow, it should have caused everything plugged into it to come on too. I was getting a bit spooked but hubby said the receiver must be defective somehow and made an appointment to have it serviced. The girl who took our call was reluctant because she thought we were being silly but since the warranty had just barely run out, she made an appointment for about two days later.

Meanwhile it happened every night until we took it in. They had it almost a week so things were peaceful. They called for us to pick it up and said they couldn't find anything wrong even after double checking it. He said he changed some part inside because it was the only thing he could think to do and we should have no more problems. So he claimed.

Once again we were shocked out of sleep by a blasting stereo. We were both a little freaked out and we unplugged it. The next night loud music woke us again! When we checked again it was plugged back in.

Hubby was a little bit irate when he called back this time and she was a little quicker to get it looked at. The service department still claimed they couldn't find anything wrong but for the sake of keeping a good customer happy (it was a Sony as was all the rest of our electronics) they replaced it with a brand new stereo receiver, the next model up. We were quite satisfied with that.

After we got the new receiver we never had another problem. As a matter of fact, that stereo is still going strong. My kids use it on their TV for playing their game systems. I think we just had a bored music lover passing through. I hope he found a nice concert hall to take up residence in.

Other hauntings by Bellissima

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Bellissima, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bossymiss (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
wow that scared me what were the times when the sterieo was blasting hey thanks for the comment love bossymiss bye ❤ 😊 😉
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
Hi Mustang, I agree, it seems spirits like to fool with electronics, or maybe it's that they have an effect on the electrical circuits or something like that. As for the stereo, are you kidding! My husband would never put his stereo in the garage (unless he was planning on listening to it out there)! It was just past the warranty date so he wasn't going to leave Sony alone until they did something about it. Even they were baffled. Thanks for the comments and compliments, I really enjoy your experiences as well. I always look forward to them.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-18)
Hi Bellissima! I believe that ghosts or spirits like electronics(period)! I still remember when I was little and my brother was in the shower, so his room was empty. It was around 1981-82 when this happened so I was about seven years old or so. He left his radio on when he went to the bathroom to take shower. I happened to be going down the hall towards my room which was right next to his room and I heard the dial on the sterio changing channels. I went in there but there was no one around. I ran out of the room but I don't remember if I told anyone or not. More than likely I did because I always talked alot, had a lot of questions. Kind of like I do as an adult! Some things never change! 😆 😊Well, anyway, I liked your story but by the second time that sterio went off, I think I would have unplugged it and stuck it in the garage until we had it resolved but atleast you got an UPGRADE! =) Thanks for sharing another one of your stories. You are one of my favorite posters!~Shelby ❤
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-05)
Hi, Athena! I was checking my 'comments' section and lo and behold! There you were! I feel the same about you, Athena. Your writing is so well done, stories and comments alike. I really enjoy reading what you have to say about things. It's nice to have intelligent comments to read. I like that you are fair and level headed, one of my faves too! Your compliments make me blush 😳 but I do appreciate them! I'm always pleased to see a comment anywhere from you. Thanks again for reading and enjoying my stories, also for noticing I have some type of personality other than just re-runs of the same opinions over and over. I also notice that about you. And I notice you also have a personality, a nice one at that.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
Hello Bellissima, Not sure if you'd be back on my story, so taking a cue from Shane I'll just leave you a message on your story, my fav of your stories BTW...
Bell, You come across in your stories as straightforward and very authentic. You are one of my favorite posters as a result. And I bet I'm not the only one who reads your posts/stories and picks up on your powerful and benevolent nature!
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-29)
I had reread this one! Still so CREEPY! Makes me wonder the purpose behind activities like this one. **** Authentic
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-28)
Dear Bellissima,

The main thing is you got rid of the problem and got an upgraded system. It could have been a faulty system, a poltergeist, a ghost or spirit passing through or the good grace of the universe delivering to you an upgraded, positive gift in disguise. By the way, in my opinion, those who have crossed over, do not have a time limit, they can freely come and go as they need to or choose to. Thus, a spirit can drop into check on us right after leaving their physical body to many earth years into the future. Frankly, I think it turned out to be a gift in disguise, but then you only know what the interpretation is for yourself. Thanks for sharing your story, Abby
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
Enchantee, I don't quite understand your post? An unseen being (like an invisible thief?), sneaks in to stop you from blaming... Unseen beings? I'm a little confused!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
I can't think of anyone who had crossed over near the time this happened. It just seemed really out of the blue. I did sort of figure poltergeists.
Lian, it's funny you say 'ghosts and their music' because I have another story along the same lines that happened years later with my alarm clock, but I think that ghost had a thing for clocks. I'm going to write about those experiences soon, it's a long on-going story.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and posting comments. 😉
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-26)
I'm wondering why "it" stopped playing with your stereo after you got a new one? Was it much more complex? Ha. Great story.
CearysAwesome (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-26)
wow at least you got yourself a nice new stereo system and the next model up too! Things like that are very very strange... I would have put the stereo in a closet until you got it fixed, but oh well that's all in the past!

Ceary
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-26)
Dear Bellissima,

It is quite possible you had a playful, poltergeist type ghost or perhaps, a friendly, playful and caring male relative who came by from the other side to make sure you got an upgraded stereo.--Abby
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-26)
I had a sony stereo that wouldn't play CD's. Maybe ghosts have a fondness for them! It's a freaky thing to happen though, I witnessed a similar thing at a friends house, what is it with ghosts and music? Has anything else strange happened?
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-26)
Hello Bell, could it have possibly been a relative who had crossed over and was maybe trying to alert you to something. Maybe they just dropped by to say hello. Stranger things have happened. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: