You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Supernatural Life

Real Ghost Stories

Supernatural Life

 

I should say before starting that I'm a firm believer in an afterlife.

When I was five my family moved from living with my grandmother (my mom's mom that is) to our own house. My family was never rich so we ended up living in a neighborhood with row styled houses. The neighborhood itself is on the North side of the city of Pittsburgh, my hometown. It has been said to have been built upon a cemetery now I don't know for sure if that was the case. But I tend to believe it to be.

So I was the middle child out of five having two older brothers, two younger sisters, and weird things started when I was 13. I was always the last to go to sleep so I was always the only one up. I'd hear footsteps that started from my mother's room and stop at my sisters. I never thought much of it cause nothing ever happened to cause alarm. But my sisters always spoke of seeing a man standing at the foot of their beds with red eyes. Then at 16 I'd see shadows approaching the shower when ever I'd bathe. The shower was in the basement; a place I did not like going much.

The first time it freaked me out a little but I eventually became annoyed and would tell them to back up and they would. So I never really was scared until I reached 27. I was living with my sister after having moved back to Pittsburgh from Ambridge, a city 23 miles to the north. It was three am and I went down stairs to watch "Family Guy" which I had missed at eleven. When I noticed a chill in the air at which point the living room quickly grew cold, I mean shivering cold! Thinking it was weird I grabbed a jacket and returned to watching television.

It was not until I noticed a softball sized orb of white light hovering about chest high next to me out the corner of my right eye that I began to feel frightened. I was also feeling a mix of curiosity as to what it could be so I did not run though that was my first reaction. As I sat there the orb began shinning brightly and the light expanded out from the orb.

I turned my head to the right and watched as this happened. I was even more freaked out than before but sat there and continued to watch, my curiosity growing and getting the better of me. By now the light had started to take on a human form and I could feel that it was feminine from the energy it was giving off. At some point I stood up and backed away from the couch two steps and heard it say in my head "don't run." How or why I was able to hear it in my head I did not know at that time but I do now. I'm psychic, but that's another story for another site. Anyway, I turned my head away from the sight before me and looked towards the stairs contemplating bolting up them at light speed.

After looking away for the second time I noticed the orb was gone. Upon seeing that I turned off the television and promptly headed back upstairs. Needless to say I did not sleep that night. I couldn't, I was too frightened by the event that had just transpired.

I have never had another such encounter since. Though I have felt someone sit on my bed as I retired for the night after moving into my own place in 2009. Also I'll feel the occasional presence as well as the occasional tug on the back of my shirt as it falls back into place as if it were raised.

I nearly forgot to mention that the day of my gram's funeral she visited me. My gram, being my dad's mother, passed before Thanksgiving which I knew she would when I went to visit her with my father. I felt someone watching me as I lay there trying to sleep. I realized immediately it was my grandmother but someone else was with her but I did not recognize the energy I felt and could only assume it was my grandfather. I never got to meet him since he died when my father was a child. Actually both of my grandfathers passed when my parents were little.

That's my story nothing much has happened since I grew older but I do hear the occasional unexplained noise in my apartment, though I live alone and one time felt someone sit down on my bed just as I was getting ready to go to sleep. But I don't fear it since nothing bad has ever happened.

I welcome feedback.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Bbrave, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Bbrave,
After reading all of this and from interacting with you here, I think I have a better understanding of who you are. I can see we have much in common as far as our childhood situations are concerned. Whether you agree or not, I believe we both suffer from 'middle child syndrome'. I don't know know if it's a real thing, but it sounds right to me. That wasn't meant to be funny ha-ha, more like funny as in the irony of it. Also, 'hearing' things the way you do is one of my things as well. It is no surprise we butted heads from the very start, we probably had to if we were ever going to find a way to get along. Not saying we have completely gotten past that point, but we're on the path to getting there. When you grow up hard, as we have, fighting back just becomes part of our nature. I found it harder to learn not to fight with my fists than my mouth. So now I just let my words run their course because it keeps my fists from getting all balled up. It's too hard to type when they get like that.
I also believe your epilepsy opens the door to being more inclined to experiences of a paranormal nature. I would think that puts you in the category of SUPER SLIder.
The footsteps are real. We can tell the difference between creaks in the floors and real footsteps. Anyone who has ever heard it knows the difference. My question is about the white orb of light. Have you ever figured out who or what that could have been?

Jav
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
No they said something about an imbalance of seretonin and noreprinepherine or what ever the chemical is called. Being the cause no worries about the questions I'll let you know when you've gotten too personal.

That's an interesting theory and may very well be possible. After thinking back a bit I realized that before having that first seizure I would see those shadows while showering.

I had a crap storm of a childhood I will not go into details as it's too painful. I was not in a very good place emotionally when I was younger.

So I think that played a big part in my experiences.
Also I was more open due to being psychic. I normally will not bring that up as people always want some type of proof. Not that I can't offer any I can it just tires me to always have to do so.

In 2000 I had a vision the year in said vision was 2008 I had just been laid off from work. I had worked a warehouse job 12am-8am for Velocity Express. Well Velocity now since they lost the corporate express contract in late 2007.

I had injured my back in early 2008 and missed too much work due to the injury. Resulting in the lose of my job I was a little sad I was making $10.50 an hour and got paid holidays off.
After being laid off I was heading to the warehouse with my cousin J I'll call him who was looking for work at the time.

In 2007 they had moved from their original location out in Monroeville to the North shore only two lots away from where the Rivers Casino now stands.

To 929 beaver avenue when a older lady came driving down the street with a flat tire. Not long after she stopped and asked to use my phone I got a feeling of deja-vu.

Turns out she worked at a prison close by at the time I do not know if that's the case now. Besides my supervisor E I'll call him before he left I was the only black person working there in the warehouse that is.

Anyway due to being sensitive I tend to know what people are thinking it's like I can hear there thoughts. It gets annoying at times since I can't shut them out though it does help me to avoid trouble

Well I am going to hit the hay it owes me $20 and it's been two weeks lol
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Bbrave: Thank you, I know some of that's probably tough to recall emotionally... Did your doctor/doctors say that your condition may stem from damage caused by the accident?...Again, I'm sorry if these questions are too personal, I'm just very interested in this type of thing... I find it more than curious that it seems like people with disturbances in the electrical charges in the brain (Autism, epilepsy, psychosis) have a tendancy to experience the paranormal to a greater extent than most... I guess you could even include SLIders in that group 😆
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
As a matter of fact that was before most of the major paranormal events I experienced. Before that I would always experience deja-vu I think that's how it's spelled.

I remember standing on the steps on day I was around if not 16. And was talking to one of my brothers when something said caused me to have a feeling that I had lived through that day before.

I still have those feelings not as frequent though
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Actually I did not have my first seizure until 16. I remember because it was 1996 and the first day of school after summer vacation.

In pgh, pa school starts back in September after summer vacation. I can not remember what day exactly but it is in September. I was in home room and woke from what I thought was a nap with everyone staring at me. Also there were two medics at the door and one to my right another in front of me.

Of course thinking I had only napped was quite perplexed and annoyed of the situation. I'm claustrophobic and need about three feet or more of personal space to be comfortable.

Anyway I did not believe the medics when they said I had a seizure. I had asked them why they were standing there staring at me. I was then told I lost control of my bladder which I really did not believe. So I looked down to prove these people wrong only to be proved wrong myself.

This was after the fishing incident I forgot to mention in my story. But before my gram's passing after that I spent much time in and out of hospitals due to seizures.

So for half of my life I have suffered from this condition. I am currently 32 years of age until august when I'll turn 33
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Bbrave: I know this is off topic, but I'm curious to know if you've been epileptic all your life, or did the symptoms begin to show after your previously mentioned experience?
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Oops I meant but not back did not catch the error until just now
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Thanks all for the comments. When I looked at my gram one last time she simply smiled softly. I think she knew that I knew that her time had come.

I forgot to mention in this story that at 16 I nearly drowned in the Allegheny River. I slipped on some mud and slid silently into the river. I was there with my two brothers their friends and a friend of the family.

It was my first time fishing there was a fish right at the spot where we were. I mean it was visible it was that close! As everyone turned to leave I went back to see if that fish was still there and that's when I slipped on some mud and slid silently into the river

It was not noticed right away that I was not with the others. But they did notice eventually and all ran back to the spot we had previously been fishing at.

I knew if I panicked I'd likely end up dead so I remained calm. All I could think to do to let the others know where I was. Was to wave my arms side to side.

It worked and they came rushing back to help. Luckily I managed to pull myself half out of the river but ultimately ended up slipping back in. Now I say slipping back in back it felt more like being pulled back in.

Once again in the water and this time frightened at feeling as if I was purposely pulled back in. The friend of the family I mentioned had dove but not into the water. He had ended up in a position close to the water's edge on his stomach in order to be able to reach me and pull me out.

Here's where It really gets scary. One of my brother's friends I'll call him A tripped over my saviors foot. Sending him airborne I had went under before that so all I could see was a shadow.

Suddenly there was a big splash it turned out to be A. As he entered the water after going airborne from tripping. I felt his knee hit me on the head I thought that was it I was going to die.

Fortunately I did not pass out as I thought I would. And was pulled out only after A was the last thing that I remember about that is being told a strong current had passed by immediately after I had been pulled out.

This is only one of the near death experiences I have had. But this is the one that I find the most disturbing. Only because I do not remember the other due to it being from having a seizure while in the hospital. After just having had one while living with my father in Ambridge, Pa.

All I know about that one is the medicine I was given was not working and that 8 doctors were perplexed by the situation.

Well thanks again for the comments
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
I also agree with Granny and will go one further... It is true that rafters and timber expands through the night due to heat and cold and sometimes those noise's are explainable expansions... Now I think most people here would agree that ghost can walk through walls and windows? Well I do anyway, now imagine in the after life if you found yourself at the home of a relation, friend or loved one and your standing on the outside of the house and decide to walk through a wall or come down through the rafters to make contact with that person your seeking and often with some desperation of will to offer a sign, keep in mind that spirits do obtain a limited amount of real energy and some spirits probably more than others... Now here's how they do it... If they have been into a home enough times they will know what part of your home creaks more than the other parts and they often used the limited amount of energy they have to intensify the noise to gain your attention as they see you wake up or respond to it, they feel like they have in part achieved what they set out to do... The only real way to know if it's a spirit or just a natural noises of expansion is to ask the spirit to knock and make noises at command... If they are there they will respond to you and when your finishing asking them questions, ask them to leave and not knock again and see if your home returns quite, I have done this myself many many times with success and don't care what anyone else said's...it is a means of communication and when you here knocks or noises that sound a little more than normal there's a 50 percent chance IMO it's someone trying to come through!
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
That's really cool about your grandmother visiting you. I agree with granny about the foot steps. There is a big difference between hearing the house creak and hearing something or someone walking around. Thanks for sharing this. 😁
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Bbrave: Having witnessed the "footstep" phenomena myself, lemme tell you, I don't care what anybody says, it ain't the damn house settling 😆...Maybe one or two bumps, but when you can hear distinct footfalls moving from one spot to another, well, that's something else entirely...

I believe that spirits/ghosts can and do communicate psychically... This entity seemed to have a lot of energy so communicating doesn't seem a stretch at all...

I wanted to mention that the last time I saw my paternal grandmother alive I, too, knew in my heart it was the last time... It was very sweet of your grandma to visit one last time...

Thank you for posting!
SkryptosTheKitsune (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Aww, the thing about your grandmother is actually kind of sweet.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: