You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Turn Out The Light

Real Ghost Stories

Turn Out The Light

 

I was about eight years old when this happened. My little sister and I were supposed to be sleeping in our shared room. She had the top bunk and I had the bottom but we were both on the top this time. I was reading her a story, not a scary one, just a short fable that was kind of funny. We were joking and having a good giggle when we heard our mom call from downstairs to turn the light off.

We waited a few minuets and then I started reading again. Soon we were as loud as before. Again, we heard mom yell at us to go to sleep. We held our breath to hear if she was coming up the stairs but all was quiet, so I began to whisper read. The story was good and although there was school tomorrow, we weren't tired yet.

Then we heard something fall to the floor. I stopped reading and asked my sister if she could see what it was that fell. She didn't see anything. I sat up, and glanced around the room myself but there was nothing unusual and everything appeared to be where it was supposed to. Shrugging it off, I got comfortable and ready to read again, when I heard something move on the floor.

The both of us hung our heads over one side of the bed and looked down. I remember not seeing anything and had raised my head to look at my sister when there was a rushing sound from underneath the bottom bunk. I looked back just in time to see a shoe slide across the floor from under it and slam into the half open door. It made a loud bang! We both yelped, I hit the lights and we put the covers over our heads. It took us a long time to get to sleep that night, but we kept together and quiet, with our heads covered the whole night.

Over the years we often joke about it, saying, "When mom tells you to go to sleep, you'd better do it!"

I've had lots of these kinds of experiences all through my childhood and adulthood, so there's many stories, some scary, some not so much, that I can share.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, newleaf, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Boo1234 (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-30)
Hi cool story! 😁 You know it could be a relative of yours or your family anyway, good luck and make sure when your mum tells you to turn the lights off turn the lights of haha 😆 may the light be with you.
Nightarron (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-30)
how interesting, I have no explanation on the shoe and I could almost bet that the spirit was in with your mom. 😆 seriously a good short read can't wait for you to tell more! 😁
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-26)
I love this story. Partly because I remember what it was like sharing a bunk bed with my sister and how we would stay up late telling eachother stories. Sure it wasn't mom somehow trying to get your attention to get to bed? Love it though. Could have actually been a guardian angel trying to help mom out.

Zeta.
joshuakeys (7 stories) (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-22)
Lols. Interesting story, quite funny as well. It might have been a mice or something like that.

Thanks for sharing
Josh
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Newleaf, that and the story you posted in the comments are both nice stories. I wonder why the ghost girl made you feel sad though? I get sad just thinking about a soul that's trapped in saddness. How depressing. Definitely listen to your mom though! Mom knows best! 😆
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Interesting story, short a sweet. I always get a good scare when things like that happen. Maybe your mom's energy was enough to make that happen and get her point across. Lol Never fear newleaf, mrfear672india is the resident skeptic of ALL stories posted on this site. Best not to feed him.
newleaf (1 stories) (3 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Okay, submission is down again, so I'll tell a similar and slightly related story here.

I was sleeping and my sister was on her bed across the room asleep too. My bed was in an alcove that ran a bit behind and alongside the doorway. We were older, I think she was in high school at this time. Anyway, I woke up with a chill, even though it was summer and our room on the upper floor was usually too warm at that time of year. Down at the bottom of my bed was a blanket I'd shoved there before I'd gone to sleep. I crawled out from under my sheet and was just about to pull the blanket over me when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye by the door.

I could see something white shift as if blown by the wind. I waited, thinking that maybe mom had come to check on us but then a little girl walked into the room wearing a white dress. I couldn't make out her face because she wasn't looking at me and all I could see was the back of her head. Her dark hair was styled in shoulder length ringlets.

I didn't know what to think so I just stayed still and watched her. She walked toward my sister; I say walked, but I remembered she moved kind of floaty. When she was halfway across the room, the moonlight from the window fell on her and I realized I could see right through her. Now I was getting a bit scared and I didn't want to move for fear that she'd notice me.

Stopping in front of my sister, she gazed at her face and then slowly reached out and touched her curlers. My sister was wearing some huge pink ones to bed that night. Then the little girl turned and looked at me, with her fingers still touching my sisters hair. We both stared at each other for a moment and then she was gone.

I pulled my blanket on and eventually went back to sleep. I wasn't scared anymore because when the little girl looked at me, she'd made me sad for some reason.
Ibelieveheshere (2 stories) (68 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Your Story Remind me of me and My old friend in Childhood of Bulk bed she think her family is a werewolf and I always suppose to sleep in bottom bed but she on top beg me to sleep with her cause she is scare don't know why.
Newleaf: Good Story that why I thought about my childhood of your story and thank you.
newleaf (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Thanks for your comments everyone. I do have many stories. This was the most innocuous one I remembered so I started with it. I like to get bigger and badder as I go:)

Mrfear, there was nobody else in the room, nor was there any reason for the shoe to slide across the floor fast enough and hard enough to make a huge bang when it hit the door. Do you have shoes that do that? Or do you think my house might have suddenly tipped sideways?

I don't think it was a relative that passed. I've seen many spirits in my house when I was a child. From little girls, to shadows, and what I used to call angels... And I wasn't the only one to see them.

I'm having fun reading most of your stories as well.:)
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Do tell us some more of your experiences. It's difficult to evaluate this one by itself, although I suppose it could have been a mischievous spirit who felt you should be listening to your mom. Did you suspect you had a mischievous spirit in your house? Or perhaps it was a grandparent or other relative who had passed and was checking up on you, although I don't know if a loved one would have wanted to put such a scare into you on purpose.
RebeccaRay (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
You should write more stories, if you've got them... Could be "fun" to read.
mrfear672india (106 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
I think there is nothing paranormal in it try to find out answer. Why thing are happening?

Good luck.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-15)
Very interesting story here, newleaf. I think you'd better listen when your Mom tells you to be quiet or go to bed! 😜. That would've been really freaky for me (and i've had my fair share of freaky stuff happen to me). Thanks for sharing and let us know if anything new happens.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: