You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Lady In Black

Real Ghost Stories

Lady In Black

 

Me and My family had just moved into our new apartment in Upstate New York. We have two cats, one is a maine coon and the other a black domestic shorthair. The first night we were on our computers in the den. We were relaxing listening to some new age piano music, all of a sudden we heard the door open and shut. When that happened the cats were frightened so they ran and hid under the bed. We looked up and saw a full bodied apparition coming in from the entrance of our apartment. She was wearing a long victorian black dress, she had long black hair and as she was floating across the floor she smiled and waved to us, after she left a beautiful perfume permeated the house.

We also had other encounters with the Lady In Black. I remember getting woke up one night with my father screaming and saying that a woman was sitting on his bed talking to him. He could not see her but he did say he smelled the same perfume we smelled on the night we saw the apparition.

I have had my cover's pulled off of me while I slept and my head lifted up and my pillows taken out from under me. I have heard a woman's voice whisper in my ear and say "Its okay I am here, I will protect you".

When me and my father are in the cellar we can hear footsteps walking across the floor of my aunts house when she is not home. I have told her about the footsteps and she said to me that she thinks it might be her dead husband or her son walking around in her house.

Me and my family are not frightened by these haunting experiences, we are used to it now. The spirit's are harmless. We have never been physically attacked.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, starlight1976, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JIMMYMACK (1 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-10-08)
I am very curious about your encounter with The Lady in Black in New York. I have had s similar encounter here in our community. A lady dressed in a flowing black gown has been sighted strolling, more like gliding, through our neighborhood, usually at dusk. I was out by the mailbox retrieving the newspaper, when I encountered her. She stopped, and moved slowly in my direction. I spoke to her as I would any of my neighbors passing by. But she did not speak. She just looked at me with very warm but penetrating eyes, and a mona lisa-like smile. She extended her hand toward mine but did not touch, or at least, I did not feel anything. Her hands were delicate with fair skin. Her nails were long and bright red. And then she just drifted away. Others in our community have described similar sightings or encounters. The oddest thing, however, is that I discovered a brand new shiny pair of black sandals in my closet. I am wearing them as I write. Those who have had similar encounters with her have reported discovering similar new items in their closets, all black. We are stunned by all of this, and I have begun to do some research, hence my contact with you; plan to research civil war era in this area.
ohmeowzer (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-15)
i grew up in cohoes and it has never been called witchtown... Where did that historical info come from? Cohoes is very old and I am sure haunted... The stories are great! Love reading about my home town, I loved growing up there and have man family members still live there. It's a beautiful city
starlight1976 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-09)
Now my doorbell is ringing every morning at 6am, I go down to answer it and no one is there, and now I am also seeing a purple light shaped like a fairy that flits back and forth in my living room and I hear little voices whispering when I see the fairy, its like there is more than one fairy in my house.
madeleine98 (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
you are brave! If I were you, I would be so scared! It is cool that you have a nice ghost though!
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
Starlight - Thanks for sharing! I grew up in Western NY (fingerlakes region, also, Moravian!), and my childhood was rife with spiritual encounters. The lady in black does sound like she is quite fond of you and your family, and is keeping a watchful eye over you. Lovely tale - thank you again for sharing!
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-30)
Hi starlight1976,

Like the other readers I also got a warm feeling over me while reading the goings on in your sharings... She clearly mothered children during her last incarnation and continues to do this caring bit from where she lives now. Your Lady in black seems an Angel in white.

Greetings,
Peter
starlight1976 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-27)
The perfume scent was a lotus jasmine. It was so beautiful it was like I was standing in a field full of flowers.
starlight1976 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-27)
These hauntings occur in Cohoes NY. Its 12 miles north of Albany,NY.
I have done some historical research on Cohoes, NY and I found out this city used to be an agricultural community and that Cohoes was originally called Witchtown.
I went to the Cohoes Public Library and found out that the Cohoes Music Hall is haunted by eight spirits.
I have also talked with people who have said the Cohoes Falls is haunted by a spirit of a native american girl. They have seen her in a canoe smiling as she is going over the falls, then she disappears.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-24)
Starlight,

Just curious, where in Upstate NY did this occur?

Thanks,
Lou
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-23)
Great story... Just out of curiosity, what type of scent was it?

Thanks, zeta.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-23)
starlight1976: Great account, had you witnessed anything paranormal before you seen this woman? It is very lucky if this was your first experience to see a full bodied manifestation is very rare, not even seasoned investigators have had this privilege.
Do you have any idea who she may be or any information on the history of the home? She does seem rather protective a nice benevolent spirit that is caring as well. Very rare encounters these are!

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
joshuakeys (7 stories) (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-22)
Its a feel good Experience you are facing, You rarely find these kind of spirits. As long as it is not harmful, you are fine

Thanks for sharing

Josh
SoullessMuffinz (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Your story made me feel so comforted for you and your family. I have had good relations with ghosts who have tried to protect me from evil spirits in the past, so I know how much of a help they are. They really are a blessing and I am very happy for you. Just remember that whenever you smell that perfume, you are safe from any harm. 😊
If you have any more encounters, please share them! I would love to hear other things she does. Hopefully it won't come to this, but I would also love to hear stories of her protecting your family, if you bear witness to it.
Itsme1997 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-19)
Aww she sounds so sweet. It doesn't seem like she'll hurt you she sounds all mother like ❤. I love this it made me feel warm inside 😁
teenagewitch21 (5 stories) (30 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
i really liked this story I felt very 'good/happy' reading it, not sure why lol defo a favourite 😊 ❤
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
I think it is a protective spirit. Don't get scared. If possible, try to communicate and share your experience. Thank you for sharing the incidents.
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
I also live in Upstate. New York - Finger Lakes area - this region is very spiritually active. In my experience, most places are haunted. Thanks for sharing.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
I think the lady in black really loves your family. She waved to you, sat on the bed and talked with your dad (I know he freaked out, but she was really trying to be friendly. I'm sure she would love to interact with you, without meaning to scare you.), and she said "Its okay I am here, I will protect you". I don't know who pulled those pranks, but she is protecting you. Thank you for sharing.

JS aka Brandon 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: