You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: The Dog Is Back

Real Ghost Stories

The Dog Is Back

 

My Gran used to own a black and white Collie dog but it was killed when it was about 2 by a fox because it got out from the house and was attacked. But I believe that my Gran's house is haunted by her old dog, who is buried outside in the back garden.

My first experience was from when I was ten. I was sat in my Gran's living room, my gran had gone out to the shops so I was left with my cousins, who were outside playing with my brother, and me in the living room with my Grandad. I looked up from what I was doing and looked outside and from where I was sat I could also see the doorway to the kitchen and the dining room. A black figure caught my eye and I looked towards the kitchen door to see the black and white hind quarters of a dog disappear into the kitchen. The back door was open so I thought a dog could've gotten in from outside but my cousins and brother were on the garden right near the back door. I said something along the lines of: "Grandad, where did the black and white dog come from?"

He put the book down and looked exactly towards the kitchen when we heard a loud bang. We went out and he showed me the open bag of old dog litter (they keep it as a sort of memory of the old dog) was on the floor and it's contents were spilled out. It was on the tall shelf that I couldn't reach, neither could my brothers or cousins because they were younger and smaller. My Gran wasn't back from the shops and my Grandad certainly didn't knock it off. He murmured something like: "That dog used to jump up here and knock my tea off." I thought nothing of it and continued as usual.

My second experience was a few months ago. I was sat in the living room again and I was sitting in the chair facing the TV and the large window that looked on the front garden. My Mum, Dad, brother, Gran and Grandad were either sat on the sofa, facing me or on the floor. My Gran was sat next to me and she could only just see the front garden past the TV. We were just talking and I looked up to the garden and there was a black and white dog sat on the lawn watching us in the living room. I was about to speak before it just faded away.

I said "did you see that dog?" and my Gran nodded whereas the rest of the current family stared at me weirdly. The door opened to the living room, but it doesn't usually because my Gran just had her doors refitted to get rid of the draft. My Grandad started muttering again saying things like: "dog's back" "should rest in peace" "he should have left by now". My Gran hushed him and we began talking until about 5 minutes later, something heavy just lifted itself onto my lap, like the weight of a dog and I heard faint panting. It faded away after a bit.

I think my Gran's dog is still around to see us.

Other hauntings by WeirdnFreaky

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, WeirdnFreaky, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JosephC (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-07)
That's a really great story. He's obviously a loyal dog and doesn't want to go quite yet.

I, too, have recently lost a cat and he has returned on a number of occasions to let me know that he's still around. It's amazing when animals do things like that, as it proves that they are not just "dumb animals" as some people think, but that they are valuable beings that have a spirit too.

Thanks for the story.
WeirdnFreaky (7 stories) (21 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-15)
Thank you for all your comments
Fortunately my granddad has been tolerant against the dog's antics:)
Nightarron (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-30)
how cool never heard of a ghost dog! Maybe it wants to play fetch 😆 but in seriousness I think that its back for companionship you know, dogs like to follow there owners everywhere at times but from the grave! How awesome!
AdriannaMarieCole (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-30)
I really like this story. I really hope the dog rests in peace (: Awhh! He sat in your lap, how cute! Loved this story <3.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-23)
I really love this story because as a dog-owner for most of my life, I believe that dogs are part of our family and such as anyone else in the family that can come back for a visit, so can your beloved pet. Zeta
Slenderman (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-22)
Well they do say spirits remain where they are most comfortable. 😆

Keep it real,

Slenderman
hardsalamibear (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-21)
aw that's sweet! People always say mans best friend now you know it! ❤
abhinav (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
men's best friend dog.
U must have loved him too much, that's why he is back...:)
starskulls (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-19)
it just shows how much the dog loves its owner 😁 😁 a very sweet story
Tenacious (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Lovely story:) It's quite obvious that the dog meant a lot to your Grand parents and vice versa. I think its comforting for your Gran to have her beloved pet still around and secretly your Grandad probably misses his anticts! Lol
LindaG (3 stories) (32 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
[at] geetha50 - I agree with you that he died before his time, and he wants to stay a little longer with his mum. How very sweet. I hope it gives your grandma comfort, and it doesn't annoy your grandpa too much. 😊
Valentine19 (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
I think dogs tend to stick around if they feel that someone needs them. Dogs can live a lot longer than people would expect them to purely because they feel needed and when they do pass on they definately stay with us. I have had multiple dogs 'haunt' me where I would hear them jump down off the bed upstairs and I even found hairs from one on a new pool table when there was no way for them to get there.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
Maybe he's waiting for your Gran, not to say she is going to pass any time soon, but inevitably she will join her beloved dog and the two of them can be together again. Dogs are very patient.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
What a sweet story. Your grandmother's dog was not ready to leave yet. Sounds like he was loved and well taken care of so he wanted to be with his family for as long as he could. ❤
mrfear672india (106 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
Yeah! I think your dog I still taking care of you. After the death.
It honestly guarding your house that's the good thing.

You should have named the story.

"INVISIBLE DOG"
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
It definitely sounds like her dog is still keeping in touch. Love and loyalty are immortal, even though a physical body isn't. It's very touching that he is still watching after his family. I think it's possible that he may stay and look after your grandparents for the rest of their lives. Hopefully your grandfather will get used to his presence, as dogs can be incredibly determined to stick with the people they love.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
Aww, what a lovely story. I had a beloved dog pass on a few years back, and I love it when she visits me from time to time. Sometimes they just prefer waiting for their human on this plane, rather then the other. 😊
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
I heard that with pets, it takes longer for them to pass over because we loved them so much and they return it with so much love and loyalty that even after they die, they make sure that the living are okay with the passing before they pass on. Also, with your case, your grandparents' dog, he died before it was his time and probably wanted to hang out for a little while longer.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: