You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Hearing Voices

Real Ghost Stories

Hearing Voices

 

I had the following experience four or five weeks back. I don't really have any idea as to what triggered those events so any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me start by saying that I am a skeptic, however the events of the past weeks have done much to shake my conviction. My story is rather unspectacular and I'm not much of a writer but I will try to describe the events as best as I can.

I live with my mum and sister in a two storied bungalow in a suburb near Mumbai (Bombay) and both of them were not at home when I had this weird thing happen to me. I was on the top floor using my computer, no scary movie or anything remotely connected to paranormal (playing Bon Jovi songs) when I suddenly heard my mom shout "Devya, stop that infernal racket, lower the volume". Trying to be obedient I immediately lowered the volume. It suddenly struck me that my mom wasn't home! I was all alone and I definitely heard Mom call out, I thought maybe I was having auditory hallucinations and kept the knowledge to myself.

Fast forward to six days, it was Monday, my mom and sis were at work, I was at home because I had decided to skip school and study for an upcoming test with my friend. While we were studying (or rather chatting away) we heard Mom say "Study a bit, it won't hurt you" and laugh in a jovial way. Both of us had heard it, it wasn't any hallucination and I hadn't told about the previous experience to him so it wasn't imagination running wild either.

He said that this is due to elementals. I find it hard to believe as this has not happened before and we have been living the same house even before I was born. He told me about this excellent site where I could post my experience and read other experiences.

Any advice about the cause of this happening would be greatly helpful. I will publish some of my previous experiences in due course, thanks for reading my story.

Regards,

Devyani.

Other hauntings by curiousDevu

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, curiousDevu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

rockangel13 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-02)
I read your other stories, I really like the way you write:) . It's kind of surprising to know that stuff happen in India too, 'cause I've never experienced anything: (
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-12)
Hey guys, sorry for such a late reply. I have been back to my home now (from grandma's) I did a cleansing ritual of asking protection for my home and asking any negative energy to leave it altogether. It's been five days and no incident has happened... Yet. Hope it stops, thanks for your support people 😊,
Devu
LindaG (3 stories) (32 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
Wow, it is mimicking your mom's voice! It doesn't seem harmful, though. How do you feel when it talks to you? Do you feel afraid? Also, do you get 'vibes' or feel anything unusual around you when this spirit speaks? I guess it just wants you to be good 😜 Thanks for sharing your experience.
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
I would have to say and I may be wrong this is not a residual haunting. I believe they don't change a residual haunting easiest way to describe is like a movie chapter on loop. It is pretty much a point in time that continues to repeat.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-01)
Devu, thanks for sharing your experience. But I tend to agree with reddy because it only mimicks your Mom's voice and not repetitive. Further, I am also shocked about your mother hearing the voice and naturally I could understand her feelings. I feel that the entity is mischievous but if it turns into trouble, it is better that you try to cleanse the house using rook's method. That is applicable to all religions. How to cleanse the house, step by step, is available elsewhere in this site, in many of the stories. Try it out, if you need to get rid of this entity. Post us any further developments.

Regards,

SDS
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
Could be related to two different phenomena: phantom noise or doppleganger. Both are readily researchable online. I have had many experiences with phantom noise, which is strange but harmless as far as I know. As for dopplegangers, some say they are bad omens, but I'm not so sure about that. Sounds like yours is trying to "mother" you when your actual mother isn't home. Just keeping you on the straight and narrow.
joshuakeys (7 stories) (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
mischievous Ghost. There are few ghosts which are not harmful but playful, They love to play with Humans. Hope it isn't harmful.

Chers

Josh.
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
Everyone,
Thanks for providing your opinions and trying to help me, I really appreciate it. The response given by the spirit is changing. I logged in because just ten minutes back the voice called me for dinner! After we had dined. Mom was home right now and she heard it too. She freaked out, asked me why didn't I tell her before. Right now m staying at my grandma's. Will keep you guys updated.
Devyani
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
^-^
[at] curiousDevu - I was just kidding, Bon Jovi's pretty alright 😁

That's very creepy, a spirit mimicking your mother's voice. I'll still maintain that it's not residual since the spirit is directly responding to your activity (a), (b) it doesn't repeat its actions/words over and over (from what you said, anyhow), and (c) It's using your Mom's voice - Y I k e s!

Look up Spirits mimicking the living - a lot of very creepy, interesting stuff. I'm on the fence about the positive or negative nature of such a being, personally - yours seems playful, and matronly. 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
Residual activity happens when something in the environment records an event, one theory is that an area with a lot of limestone deposits is more likely to record. I think that living residuals are somewhat common, but the residual is overlooked because the person who the recording is of is still there. As an example, an elderly lady walks out to her mailbox every day at 2pm. Her actions have worn a recording into the environment, but as she is still alive and walking to her mailbox at 2pm, nobody notices. The residual is overlooked until she passes, but someone notices she's still walking to the mailbox at the same time every day. The living haunt has been present all along, but was hidden by the living person. My crackpot theory anyway.
Can it take form? If a residual is just a sound, it won't escalate to a visual. Residual haunts have no awareness, no knowledge of it's surroundings. It's just there. If you have a visual residual (like the old lady walking to her mailbox) it will stay just a visual and not escalate to speaking. With residuals, what you see (or hear) is what you get. New residuals may develop, but they don't change. Hope that helps a bit.
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
Okay, so I gather that it definitely is a residual haunting. But I still have some questions-
1. Why does this haunting take place when the person involved is alive?
2. And can this spirit/entity take a physical form like a doppelganger?
Thanks in advance,
Devyani ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
Curious, we have been living in this house since 1971. There have been countless times, that my husband has asked me "What did you say" or Yes, what do you want", when I have not uttered a word! He insists that he heard me say something... When I have not. 😕
So, yes, a living residual of a voice is definitely a possibility!
Thank you for sharing.
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
Yeah, that's true if instead of my mom if I had heard myself talking I would have had myself checked for schizophrenia or stuff like that 😜
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
The residuals stopped after we moved, yay! Nothing makes you question your sanity like hearing yourself in another room lol. Glad I could give you a different perspective on this. I love hearing accounts like yours, looking forward to your future stories.
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
[at] reddysteady my mom is alive and the voice was same as hers and it did not have any awkward pattern as you suggested, and by the way I just love Bon Jovi songs 😆
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
[at] BadJuuJuu A residual haunting? Hadn't heard about it before, thanks for the info, the voice seems just like my mum! I wasn't scared in the beginning but now it gives me the chills! The voice seems just like my mum!
Did it (the voices) stop when you moved or did they continue to happen? 😨
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
Bon Jovi is scary enough 😉 Just kids.

Something mimicking your Mom though? Yikes, I'd be a little concerned with that. Can I ask how your Mum usually talks? I mean, would she usually say something like ' "Devya, stop that infernal racket, lower the volume" '? I only ask because most research on Spirit Mimicks, or spirits that 'talk' with living peoples voices, tend to have awkward speech patterns.
I don't think it would be a residual haunt because you say it's your Mum's voice and I'm presuming (hoping) she's alive. 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-31)
Sounds like something I went through at my old house lol. I don't know how familiar you are with the theory of residual haunts, but it basically comes down to this. A residual haunt is a moment that replays itself, usually of an event that is either repetitive or emotionally charged. Living people can produce residual haunts, it just depends on how strong the moment was or how sensitive the area is. Our old house was recording new residuals every day it seemed like. Before we moved out, I was hearing my husband's cell phone while he had the phone with him at work, hearing his voice when I knew he was out, and on one particularly "huh?" occasion, heard my own voice in the bedroom. It was annoying, to the extreme, but just a residual and nothing to worry about. I think this is something that you shouldn't let get to you as it's harmless.
And just to clarify, the residual stuff had nothing to do with us moving. I just didn't want you to think I was trying to tell you to be chill and let you think I'd run like a scared rabbit lol. 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: