You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: The Scary

Real Ghost Stories

The Scary

 

Several weeks ago I got a call from my youngest stepdaughter. "I think there's something here," she said, "and I was wondering if you would come over one night and see if you can find anything." Knowing she'd been having problems with "mysterious intolerable odors (think disgusting bathroom smells...ugh!) for the last few months, I said sure and that I could come over after class the next night. Then she said, "It's in Andy's (name has been changed) room and he's terrified and won't go in there anymore. Not even to play." Uh oh, not what I thought at all. And then she says, "You're the only one I know who can help me." She told me Andy screams when gets near his bedroom doorway. He tells her "The Scary" is in there. I asked her if she wanted me to come right then and she said tomorrow night would be fine. After asking again, she assured me the next night would be okay.

All that night while gathering things together, I wondered what in the world was going on and am I going to be able to help my 4-year-old grandson? Part of me wondered if he was jealous of his new baby brother, but the other part of me wondered if there really is a "Scary" in Andy's room.

After class the next night, I headed to my stepdaughter's apartment to see what was going on. When I got there, my she told me that all of a sudden things had changed in Andy's room. He went from sleeping in his bed and playing in his room, to screaming in fear at the thought of going in there. I asked her where the baby sleeps, thinking maybe he slept with her and this is what the problem is: sibling jealousy. Unfortunately that isn't the case. The baby has his own room and sleeps in his own bed. So it was on to the next step.

Andy and I went to his room, turned my DVR to record and Andy showed me where "The Scary" was. It was in his closet, up on the top shelf. I looked but couldn't see anything. He asked, "Can't you see it, Mimi?" I hated telling him that I couldn't see "The Scary," but I also don't believe in lying to him, so I explained to him that sometimes adults don't see the same things little kids do, but I told him if he saw "The Scary" then we needed to do something to make it go away.

We went back downstairs, got my Smudge Stick and back upstairs we went. I wanted to "empower" Andy, make him feel like he had control, so I let him help me "smudge" the room. After lighting the Smudge Stick and getting it to "smoke," I placed my hand over Andy's and lifted him. While smudging the closet, I had him repeat after me things like, "You need to leave; I'm not afraid of you anymore; you don't belong here; I'm a big boy; this is my room; go away; you don't scare me; leave me alone; get out of here," all while smudging the room and moving "The Scary" toward Andy's bedroom window where we made it go out a very small hole in the screen, telling it to "leave and never come back again." Andy wanted to do it again, so I asked him if he wanted his mommy to help this time. He did, so we went back downstairs and got my stepdaughter. I explained to her that I thought it would be good for her to be able to do it when I was gone. Just in case.

Andy and I went through the steps, with my stepdaughter watching. Andy again repeated his "I'm not afraid of you, go away, etc." speech while driving "The Scary" out the window, once again telling it to leave, get out and never come back. This time, when we got "The Scary" out the window, Andy asked, "How long? How long before my bad thing disappears?"

Crap, I thought. Are you kidding me? It's still here? Now what? All these thoughts were rolling through my head. "Are you sure it's still here?" I asked. Andy nodded his head and pointed to the top of his closet. Okay then...well...Time to try a different tactic. So I asked him how long he wanted it to take. "One," he said. "One minute." I told Andy to close his eyes and he had to believe. "Do you believe?" I asked him. "I can't," he said. So I explained to him that if he believed the bad thing was still there, than it was going to still be there. But if he believed it was going to be gone... It would be gone.

It took a few minutes, a few jokes about "are you sure you believe, really, really believe," a few giggles and laughter, repeating "I believe he's gone", but when he was ready to open his eyes, I told Andy there was one way to know if he really, really believed. If "The Scary" was still there, then he didn't really believe. So Andy said he was ready to open his eyes; that he really, really believed.

When he opened his eyes, he said, "It's gone, Mommy!" My stepdaughter and I looked at each other in relief, but still not entirely convinced that it was going to be that easy. With "high-fives" and "what a big boy you are" to Andy, we went to his closet. Andy looked and told us that "The Scary" was gone. I have to admit that I was more than relieved at that point. I was sure Andy would see "The Scary" when he looked in his closet.

I left my Smudge Stick with my stepdaughter, telling her that he may "see" it again and I wanted her to be prepared and able to take care of it herself. The next day I checked on him. She said Andy told her that morning that "The Scary" was still gone, and that he played in his room after coming home from preschool that afternoon.

It's been over a month now and there has been no sign of him being afraid of his room. Was there really something in his room that only he could see? I don't know. Maybe. Was it his imagination? I don't know that either, but I wasn't willing to accept that. He and my stepdaughter were miserable. And there was no sense in him being scared to death whenever he was near his bedroom. What I do know for sure is what we did made him feel better and that makes me feel better. I'd do it the same way again in a heartbeat.

Other hauntings by Miracles51031

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Miracles51031, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-30)
Lack of supervision at work right now LOL I'm trying to catch up on things here.
Mimi81 (203 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-30)
Miracles, thank you! I will be checking that site and others. Your quick answer is greatly appreciated. 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-30)
Mimi - I had to Google this because I honestly didn't know. I'm glad I did because what I thought was wrong. The site I looked at does mention smudging outdoors. I don't know if it would be as effective, but think that intention is a major part of smudging.

Here's the link for the site I was on, but I'd look at a couple more sites if I were you just to see what the consensus is http://www.sacredserpent.net/smudging.html
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-30)
Miracles, or anyone else who might know, I have a question about Smudge Sticks. Can they be used effectively outdoors?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
That would be Monday...

Are we going to have an end of month 'shindig' for all the B-days in July? The Bus is ready and can handle anything... Just say the word... And Puff will heat up the hot tub, fire up the grill and ensure the speakers sizzle with Party requests...

Or perhaps I will submit another experience... But I am not sure how Ghostly it is... But it does involve my Shielding technique...Hummmm? What to do... What to do?

Respectfully,

Rook
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
BJJ - thank you, and yes, please! No chocolate but I'll take pie πŸ˜† or peanut butter πŸ˜‰
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
Rook - thank you and don't you have on coming up soon yourself? πŸ˜‰
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
Woot! Happy Birthday! I'll bring the cake and ice cream. Nothing chocolate, though.
πŸ˜† ❀ πŸ˜†
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
Miracles,

So shall I have Puff break out the Party Bus πŸ˜‰.

Many happy returns on your special day.

Respectfully,

Rook
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
Thanks, val, and they are much appreciated 😊 Darn, even birthday welcomes have that dreadful character limit lol πŸ˜‰
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
Birthday wishes,Miracles! I wouldn't have known except for Fergie's post, but didn't want to be left out of a chance to wish you oodles of happiness.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
Fergie - thank you so much for remembering. I've been thinking about you and your family also, hoping you'll be sitting around talking about Angel and sharing memories to help keep them fresh for Shenay ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
Happy Birthday Miracles! 😊 May you have a day filled with love and smiles - and get spoiled rotten.
I wish you abundant health and happiness,

Much love,
Fergie
AARisTHEbest (3 stories) (56 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2013-12-17)
I love this story and sorry for everything that I have caused.
darkassassin92 (119 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-07)
I forgot to mention it was in 2010 we went to the white eagle taverm which its supposed to be haunted in portland Oregon my dad felt a presence in there but I did not feel any thing so you do not have to feel a ghost it can still be there even if you can't feel it oh and in the story I think that was a demon rotting smells is sign of evil sorry for long comment I just forgot something to mention
darkassassin92 (119 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-07)
I live in oregon and one time I went to heceta lighthouse since I don't remember really that much but I thought I saw a blue shadow in one of the rooms some I read some say the heceta head ghost is gray as I said before I seem blue do you think I imagined it? You seemed to know this a lot of ghost that's why asking
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-14)
Sceptic-Ari - thank you 😊 He's adorable, not that it matters whether or not he's adorable πŸ˜† But thank you for that. It means a lot.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-12)
Dear Miracles51031,

This is going into my favourites 😐

You are the coolest Gramma πŸ˜‰
Love ❀
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2012-11-12)
Loganz_sis - it's so easy for everyone to dismiss kids and what they experience as their imaginations. And from what I experienced as a 13-year and not having anyone believe me, I wasn't about to not believe him ❀
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2012-11-12)
Miracles...you can say that again, yeah been away almost a year.

The great thing about this story is, it could easily happen to everyone of us. The lesson for me is - how well you managed it rather than wasting time analysing wether or not what the boy was seeing was real!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-12)
Fergie - of course I don't mind 😊 I actually hesitated over sharing this one, but decided to go ahead because I thought maybe it might help someone else too.

Sometimes just the "act" of getting rid of the "monster in the closet" or whatever they are afraid of, and having someone believe in them, are enough to help children. But if there really is something else there...well, so far Andy's not experienced anything else and it's been 4 months 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-12)
Miracles, I have sent your account to Nicky and her best friend - for 'just in case'. They both have little ones, that are very 'open' to the 'other side'.

I thought that your course of action was so brilliant, that I just HAD to share it. I hope you don't mind?
❀
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2012-11-12)
Loganz_sis - it has been awhile, hasn't it? Good to see you back 😊 Thanks for dropping by my story πŸ˜‰
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-12)
Oh boy... I have been away way too long!

I have wondered how things were out here, good to know all my fav's are still very active:) Good to be back.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
It's really hard to know what it was Miracles, let's just hope it was a figment of his imagination for Andy's sake and doesn't return, I think the key point in your story is the way you'd handled it... Obviously he was very frighten and trusted you enough to believe in what you were doing... I can remember my first ghost encounter when I was just 3 years old and I can still remember how frighten I was, I just balled my eyes out and ran to my mother/father who had no idea why I was so upset, nor did they ask me from memory... It was in 1968, reason I remember is because it was my grandpa's funeral... As you pointed out, children can see things we can't and some of us never forget... So well done again for looking after him on a spiritual and emotional level Miracles, very hard to do when you don't know what your dealing with... ❀
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
Shellzy - Yes, whatever Andy was seeing, whether it was real or imagined, was definitely causing him some serious and real distress. Thank you for your compliments, I appreciate them 😊.

Having people tell me, as a child and an adult πŸ˜‰ that it was/is just my imagination sucks, so I wasn't about to do that to Andy or my stepdaughter. Maybe all Andy needed was someone other than his mommy to believe him. Whatever the reason, I'm so relieved and happy that he's happy ❀
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
Daz - it was so difficult with Andy, trying to figure out what is scary to a 4-year-old. And then there was the whole thing of what is off limits to children, like you said. When Andy and I went upstairs to his room the first time, I sat on his bed for a little bit while he showed me his toys and I thought about all this: What is in his closet? What does it look like to Andy? Because I can't see it. Does it change at night and become scarier? Does it make scary faces at him? Does it make threatening gestures to him? I mean, all these things went through my head. And all those shows like A Haunting, My Ghost Stories and Paranormal Witness were flipping through my mind. Not good at all πŸ˜† I was just so relieved that I knew what to do, and if that didn't work, I had two other backup plans.

It's been 5 weeks and he's not said anything else about it. I saw them today and he's good 😊 ❀ Thanks, Daz
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
Valentine - I've never seen the movie "Insidious." I hate scary movies 😨

The classes I'm taking are Psychic/Mediumship Classes. They were offered through someone I've known for a long time.

Thank you for the compliments 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
Gabriella - that was my goal, no matter what was causing Andy to be afraid... Get rid of that fear.

When my daughter was about 13, she slept in my little boy's room and saw something on one of his walls that looked like an upside down "Batman's" mask. She told me and for 2 nights, I tried to figure out what she saw. I never did figure it out, but whatever it was scared her. She never liked his room 😐

Thank you for reading my story 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
Darkness - you know, when I put my hand in the closet I didn't "feel" anything, but I also couldn't reach up to where Andy was looking. I was afraid to make the mistake of assuming because I didn't sense anything was there, that nothing was. His gaze never wavered. That's what made me so certain he saw something that I didn't see. It did upset me, though, that I couldn't see, sense, or feel what he was seeing. I felt like I was letting him down, Dan, when he asked me if I couldn't see it. But in the end it worked out.

And you're right. Going there right after class was definitely a good thing. I felt energized and ready to take on the world πŸ˜† or at least "The Scary"πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: