You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Great Grandpa's Passing

Real Ghost Stories

Great Grandpa's Passing

 

Let me start this post by saying that I have not experienced much "scary" paranormal activity, but that the majority of my experiences have been primarily uncanny, comforting, and even helpful, at times. I have been keen to spirits since a young age, and am neither afraid of them nor leery. I believe that everything is energy, and we attract the types of energies that we put out - which, perhaps, explains why I have never had much "boo" factor to report. When recounting my experiences, they primarily make me smile, so hopefully they will make others smile as well.

This is the account of my Great-Grandfather Andrew, my Mother's Grandfather, who passed April 14, 1995. Though I played a role in this tale, all the "action" was recounted to me by my mother (and she's told me this tale dozens of times - never differing). A little background - as the only female of my generation on my Mother's side (no girl cousins to play with when visiting her side!), my grandparents and great-grandparents spoiled me with affection. Great-Grandpa always came with pfefferkuchen (a German spice cookie, similar to gingerbread - but extraordinarily better), a stubbly kiss on the cheek, and a lot of laughs. He had a gentle, patient ear and was a generally sweet, old soul. When he passed, my parents, brothers, and I were in Williamsburg, VA on our family spring vacation. We cut the vacation short to come home to NY for his service.

I was almost nine-years-old, and had already been to a lot of funerals. This one was melancholy yet expected. Great-Grandpa was 93-years-old and had not been doing well for some time. I remember staying by myself, reading a book in my uncomfortable funeral dress, wishing I did not have to be there, and being sad with the prospect there would be no more pfefferkuchen and no more stubbly kisses. Dinner was traditional German fair, the service was normal; nothing extraordinary happened until later that evening, when I was asleep.

My mother says she woke in the middle of the night to a warm feeling in her cheeks. Having recently asked her to recount this story for me once more, she describes the feeling as a "blush" like "when you've been running on a cold day." It was early spring, and Western New York (Ontario region) tends to stay on the cool side well until June, so this was peculiar. She looked over towards her door and saw a faint glow, and it seemed to be coming from my room, which is right across the hallway from my parents. Curious why I would be awake at such a time (and probably ready to reprimand me) and what on Earth I had that would make that glow, she got out of bed and headed towards my room, but stopped short when she saw a blue form "standing" next to my bed, bent over my sleeping form. She says this blue form stooped towards my cheek, as if kissing it, and then dissipated. To this day my Mother swears it was my Great-Grandfather giving me one last stubbly kiss before "moving on"!

I like to think that those who pass, who understand and really feel our affections, can come back to us to show their reciprocation. It's not much of a tale, I know, but it's sweet, it's true, and it's mine (err, Mother's). Thank you for reading!

Other hauntings by reddysteady

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, reddysteady, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kimmie_Ann (3 stories) (14 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
This reminds me a lot of my Grampa. I wrote about him a while back. Its the absolute best to get visits from loved ones who have passed on 😁
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
Thank you, all 😊 I'm grateful that Great Grandpa Andrew was able to share this last gesture with me, and believe that it was his way of saying goodbye. I've often thought that my Mom waking up with a blush in her cheeks was him kissing her goodbye, too - maybe Andy was making his rounds before heading to his next place. Thoughts? Thank you again for reading, and for the kind words 😆
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
It is sweet. And I have no doubt that it is completely true. I love to read about these kind of experiences. They validate my own (not that I need it). I feel they are a collection of wonders, simple and pure.
Thank you for sharing your Great Grandpa with us.

Jav
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-01)
It's really hard to lose someone you really care for and especially when you are treated with care. I think most everyone has gone though that feeling of losing someone.

I have read both of stories and I find them really interesting and different. I would love to hear more from you.

Finally, I'm sorry for your loss and like I said above, it's never fun to lose someone you love.
xBRabbitx (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-01)
What a nice grandfather and having experianced a relatives passing I find this story comforting. 😊 He knew you would miss his stubbly kisses. 😁
MickeyN (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-01)
That's sweet! 😁 I find the stories about passed on family members giving a final goodbye are the ones I like the most. I would love to hear some of the other good ghost stories you have!

-MickeyN
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-01)
Thank you for your kind words, Skjhathefearless! Light and love ❤
Skjhathefearless (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-01)
Nice story you are a good girl may his soul rest in peace god bless.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: